Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Chicago is loving lousy with bandwagoners. I could give a poo poo about baseball.

It's out of control. Kind of irritating since I am a Cubs fan. Or I was. I stopped giving a gently caress about baseball really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hatebrooks/Holdbrooks should be there, he sent out a snap yesterday from the track

He and I were playing "find each other through snapchat" we were both at turn one during qualifying but alas we passed as ships in the night

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I lurk here all the time, living vicariously through your adventures.
I don't do much that this group might be interested in, but I finally
might be able to make a short thread about something now...

5 speed
Disc brake
Composite
Hybrid
Italian*
Commercial

I'm just the mechanic, the owner gave permission for me to talk about it.
Make a thread or just post in chat thread?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Australian GP is live right now if anyone's up watchin TV. Moto2 just had a brilliant finish and MotoGP is up next.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How successfully can you get Discount/America's Tire to price match Tire Rack?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CharlesM posted:

How successfully can you get Discount/America's Tire to price match Tire Rack?

Print the cart out and they'll match it. They'll add the shipping cost and tax to the deal generally though.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

some_admin posted:

I'm just the mechanic, the owner gave permission for me to talk about it.
Make a thread or just post in chat thread?
:justpost:

I'd start here. If there's a big enough interest and stuff to generate content then start the thread, make it up with a collaboration of posts made here and go hog wild.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Oh god I bought a complete nugget

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Seminal Flu posted:

b) it always felt like a kludge... it makes the wheel just a bit too thick, and the spokes always look wonky.

It's not as nice as a proper new steering wheel, but it's a hell of a lot less expensive, if you can even find a steering wheel for a 15 year old Peugeot, with leather that isn't also old and ruined.

Maybe it's possible to get it professionally re-covered, but it bet it's hideously expensive.

E: and I don't really mind a slightly thicker steering wheel.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 23, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, it took 5 minutes of drilling into his head what "you need to get the transponder in the key I'm about to sell you programmed to the truck" meant.

Dude was in 2 weeks ago with a blown headgasket in something with a 3.8 in it, so I could see him buying a truck that was cheap for "reasons". Otoh, last time he was in, I had my co-worker keep an eye on him because god drat dude, you look like you just got out after 10 years for armed robbery and the woman you're with is obviously strung the gently caress out on something. I think constant closing shifts are killing my will to live.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Assuming all goes well, I'm replacing my shitbox Jeep with something ten years newer tomorrow.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Spent the entire morning trying to clear an clogged kitchen sink drain. :(

I am a dumbass and put a bunch of potato peelings down the disposal. Then, when it was first plugged, instead of dropping the J pipe, I plunged it... and now the plug is more than the 20' my snake will reach. :(

The good news is that we had some bomb-rear end Potato Soup last night, and there's leftovers for today. Seriously, try this poo poo, it's spectacular:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVwcyxsxL5Q

I'm last-ditch-ing some Liquid Plumber and hoping that will clear the loving potato peelings. I know better than to put those things down, I've cleared my mom's J pipe a couple times before and told here not to do that. :mad:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Spent the entire morning trying to clear an clogged kitchen sink drain. :(

I am a dumbass and put a bunch of potato peelings down the disposal. Then, when it was first plugged, instead of dropping the J pipe, I plunged it... and now the plug is more than the 20' my snake will reach. :(

The good news is that we had some bomb-rear end Potato Soup last night, and there's leftovers for today. Seriously, try this poo poo, it's spectacular:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVwcyxsxL5Q

I'm last-ditch-ing some Liquid Plumber and hoping that will clear the loving potato peelings. I know better than to put those things down, I've cleared my mom's J pipe a couple times before and told here not to do that. :mad:

Amazing Liquid Fire Pipe & Drain Opener Hair Clog Remover (1 Quart -- 32 Oz.) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LNG7LMA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NBodybPBQX3WA

You can find this in smaller amounts at the hardware store for cheaper...It doesn't take much. Zep makes some good products and I've heard this stuff is pretty serious.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

angryrobots posted:

Amazing Liquid Fire Pipe & Drain Opener Hair Clog Remover (1 Quart -- 32 Oz.) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LNG7LMA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NBodybPBQX3WA

You can find this in smaller amounts at the hardware store for cheaper...It doesn't take much. Zep makes some good products and I've heard this stuff is pretty serious.

Can confirm this stuff is how I wished all of those liquid plumber things would work.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

gimpsuitjones posted:

Oh god I bought a complete nugget

Do tell

edit: oh, i see you've made a thread

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Can confirm this stuff is how I wished all of those liquid plumber things would work.

drat, should have checked with you guys first. I've got regular Liquid Plumber in there now, hopefully it works.

Houses are such bitches some times. There are so many subsystems that you rely on, all the time, that you never notice until they gently caress up. Then the whole house is disrupted. :argh:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Where do you buy this in Canada? Our en-suite sink has been slow for years and would love to try some of this liquid magic.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Where do you buy this in Canada? Our en-suite sink has been slow for years and would love to try some of this liquid magic.

Home Depot, I think. They have a few different kinds of the Zep stuff:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.crystal-heat-drain-opener---2-lb.1000669800.html

The Liquid Plumbr hair clog remover works really well too if you have time to let it sit:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.hair-clog-eliminator.1000789593.html

I am really curious which one will work on potatoes.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 23, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I swear I do work on cars sometimes

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Several years ago I came home and heard noises coming from my master bathroom. I thought it might have been my partner but realized he wasn't home yet. I go in and hear distinct spashing about from the toilet. Open the lid and there's a sewer rat trying to escape. About the size of 3 healthy potatoes, cute pink nose, tail, and feet. I put a garbage bag around the bowl and tried to coax him into the bag with grill tongs. No dice. He obviously was not content with trying to go back the way he came, so the fucker had to die.

I poured Crystal Drano (granular lye) on him and he spontaneously combusted. I ended up putting him out with a fire extinguisher, removing his corpse, and having to clean the mess up. It took a couple of days for the smell of burning hair to leave.

<<FIN>>

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I swear I do work on cars sometimes

I think I see a flaw in your weight-saving plan.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Goober Peas posted:

Several years ago I came home and heard noises coming from my master bathroom. I thought it might have been my partner but realized he wasn't home yet. I go in and hear distinct spashing about from the toilet. Open the lid and there's a sewer rat trying to escape. About the size of 3 healthy potatoes, cute pink nose, tail, and feet. I put a garbage bag around the bowl and tried to coax him into the bag with grill tongs. No dice. He obviously was not content with trying to go back the way he came, so the fucker had to die.

I poured Crystal Drano (granular lye) on him and he spontaneously combusted. I ended up putting him out with a fire extinguisher, removing his corpse, and having to clean the mess up. It took a couple of days for the smell of burning hair to leave.

<<FIN>>

:chanpop::chanpop::chanpop:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

<<FIN>>

I don't know why I'm laughing so hard.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

fugg DDD::

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Goober Peas posted:

<<FIN>>

Well that took a turn...

This weekend is absolutely perfect weather-wise for working in the garage and washing that filthy pig of a Mazda, but I feel way too lovely to do any of that. gently caress getting sick.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Drain watch continues. No change in the draining, but in the basin that's filled with water and some drain cleaner, the stray potato skins have begun to turn translucent and disintegrate. Hopefully the same will happen with the main clog if I let it sit overnight.

In other news, I was looking for some way to get bluetooth sounds into the head unit in the 2000 Avalon I bought. I don't like FM stuff and this thing doesn't look like there's an easy aux-in mod. So, on a wile guess, I searched Amazon for "Bluetooth Cassette Adapter." I'll be damned if it didn't return a hit.

For $20 I got one, just got it set up -- works fine. Phone saw it, paired right away and is playing music. What a world we live in.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
FM modulators are Cool and Good, and have Bluetooth now.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

I don't know why I'm laughing so hard.

Same. Excellent twist.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anyone have experience with applying vinyl graphics on cars? I know that it'll stretch, but I'm not sure if cutting out the shapes first and then applying them is the way to go, or to cut it out after once it's on the car.

My (current) plan is to make templates for all of the shapes using either paper or cardboard, transferring the shape (and mirroring it) to the vinyl, cut it out using scissors, and then applying it to the car with a squeegee + heat gun.

please advise

The graphics? Think 90s Castrol + Toyota

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

FM modulators are Cool and Good, and have Bluetooth now.

If "cool and good" means "have terrible sound and are annoying as hell when stronger radio channels make you change the signal you're broadcasting to," I agree.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

If "cool and good" means "have terrible sound and are annoying as hell when stronger radio channels make you change the signal you're broadcasting to," I agree.

Ha, I just bought this thing for my f750 work truck..I'll let you know if it sucks.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My anker rechargeable battery is toast.

I'm on a trip and I've been using it a lot lately.

gently caress.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Seminal Flu posted:

You're mistaken on what I'm talking about.

Modulator. Not transmitter. Plugs into the antenna port, you switch it on and it cuts off the radio and a channel becomes your aux port or Bluetooth or whatever. Turn it off and you get your radio back. Bluetooth ones automatically hijack the radio when you pair your phone.

I installed one in my work ambulance a few days ago, and it's amazing. Only hear a very, very slight hiss if I turn it way up, but that might be the stock radio amp noise. It's a work vehicle, so I couldn't make any permanent changes. Mine even uses a common channel (91.5 which is the local NPR station) and when I turn it on I can't hear the original radio station at all, just silence.

I bought this one.

FM transmitters are garbage across the board, full stop.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 23, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Phone posted:

Anyone have experience with applying vinyl graphics on cars? I know that it'll stretch, but I'm not sure if cutting out the shapes first and then applying them is the way to go, or to cut it out after once it's on the car.

My (current) plan is to make templates for all of the shapes using either paper or cardboard, transferring the shape (and mirroring it) to the vinyl, cut it out using scissors, and then applying it to the car with a squeegee + heat gun.

please advise

The graphics? Think 90s Castrol + Toyota

Cut shapes, then apply. It's a bitch to do it on the car itself.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Modulator. Not transmitter. Plugs into the antenna port, you switch it on and it cuts off the radio and a channel becomes your aux port or Bluetooth or whatever. Turn it off and you get your radio back. Bluetooth ones automatically hijack the radio when you pair your phone.

I'm sure they're nice, but that sounds like it requires pulling out the head unit. If meatpimp's Toyota's anything like my mom's old Lexus of similar vintage, it's a real pain in the rear end to remove, like disassembling half the dashboard. If you can get 90% of the audio quality with a plug-and-play cassette adapter, why go the hard route?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I installed one in my work ambulance a few days ago, and it's amazing. Only hear a very, very slight hiss if I turn it way up, but that might be the stock radio amp noise. It's a work vehicle, so I couldn't make any permanent changes. Mine even uses a common channel (91.5 which is the local NPR station) and when I turn it on I can't hear the original radio station at all, just silence.

I bought this one.

FM transmitters are garbage across the board, full stop.

Gotcha. Yep, I was thinking about a crappy transmitter. I like the thought of the bt cassette adapter for ease... don't even have to get into the dash for the antenna plug-in.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm my ambulance I could reach the antenna plug without pulling the head unit from underneath, but that's vehicle dependant and I understand. Just throwing that option out there. A cassette adapter is 100% easier, I agree.

I'd go with more like 70% quality, though. There's only so much a cassette head can do. And yes, I've watched Techmoan's videos on cassettes (all of them). FM transmitters are like 30%, for internal comparison.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 23, 2016

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

<<FIN>>

Hahahah that's awesome. Would have gone with a pellet pistol myself, but I admire your improvisation. I'm not one for reincarnation but that rat must have been Joseph Mengle in a previous life; dying on fire in a toilet bowl is a lovely way to go.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Must be the day for clogged drains.

Got home from work this morning, started the dishwasher...and suddenly had wet feet. P trap was clogged, and the water was leaking out of the shittily assembled PVC connections.

Luckily all I had to do was break it apart and bang it into the trash can. Wife had shoved pasta down it last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Cut shapes, then apply. It's a bitch to do it on the car itself.

OK, good. Glad to know that my instinct wasn't 100% terribad.

• Locked thread