Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Never, ever, ever buy repacks. They will nothing but garbage in them, no matter how much the seller assures you 1/20 have a good card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

oh no blimp issue posted:

So, what's the best way to get a workable amount of cards to start joining standard nights with? Buy a repack off Magic Madhouse/eBay?

Playtest a deck or decks you proxy up first, either in paper or on xmage or cockatrice, see what you like. Then just buy the cards. It's really the best way.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

GorgonSmithe posted:

Never, ever, ever buy repacks. They will nothing but garbage in them, no matter how much the seller assures you 1/20 have a good card.

Thought this might be the case, if a card was any good they'd just sell it as a single.

Well, buying singles it'll be then!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Pro tip: Don't play constructed, then you won't have to pay for singles.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I know people have advocated buying 4x lots of Uncommons and Commons when the sets come out, since you can then build whatever and have those cards. Those are pretty cheap, as well.

I think it's still viable, though someone please correct me if I am mistaken!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

En Fuego posted:

I know people have advocated buying 4x lots of Uncommons and Commons when the sets come out, since you can then build whatever and have those cards. Those are pretty cheap, as well.

I think it's still viable, though someone please correct me if I am mistaken!

I think, if the price is right, this is a great idea because you're covered for the season. But I don't know what these go for anymore. I know when I was selling a lot of cards, they seemed to go for peanuts.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
If you're going to play standard, do a little research to find a desk you enjoy playing (maybe proxy it up and play a couple matches against some friends?), then buy singles to fill it out.

Drafting can be a fun way to fill out your commons and uncommons (it's also, In my opinion, by far the most fun way to play magic), but never expect to get the cards you need by opening packs.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

I think, if the price is right, this is a great idea because you're covered for the season. But I don't know what these go for anymore. I know when I was selling a lot of cards, they seemed to go for peanuts.

Waaaaaaaaay back in the day (like Odyssey block) I had a teacher who played, and he claimed to know a guy who would sell 4x common & uncommon lots of each set for $20. Seems like that would be a good deal if you want to play around with the set or build a weird block-Pauper cube.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I laugh when I see those Target or Wal-Mart repacks where they put like 3 60 card decks in this little plastic divider holder and then charge $26.99 for it and it's like an intro deck from RTR, Theros and a pack of land from a fatpack

edit: oh and they toss in a promo xathrid necromancer on one end and a promo angel of glory rise on the other end

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 22, 2016

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Snacksmaniac posted:

Looks like $30-50 is the going rate for a 4x Common/Uncommon lot.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Pro tip: Don't play constructed, then you won't have to pay for singles.

That's what I'm doing atm, was just wondering on the best way to get into Standard play

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

80s James Hetfield posted:

I laugh when I see those Target or Wal-Mart repacks where they put like 3 60 card decks in this little plastic divider holder and then charge $26.99 for it and it's like an intro deck from RTR, Theros and a pack of land from a fatpack

edit: oh and they toss in a promo xathrid necromancer on one end and a promo angel of glory rise on the other end

I've seen those before. They sometimes are just one half of a duel deck and without the foil card of that deck. But I used to buy those random 60-card packs that came with a booster pack at Walmart all the time when I started in 2008. I got good things out of those packs sometimes like a Birds of Paradise out of a Tenth Edition pack or a Sacred Foundry out of a Ravnica pack. I also ended up with a galaxy of weird and bad old cards from it and learned the set symbols that way too :v:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

oh no blimp issue posted:

That's what I'm doing atm, was just wondering on the best way to get into Standard play

If you have people to play with, buy into Modern instead, honestly.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

If you have people to play with, buy into Modern instead, honestly.

Why's that?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

It's much less expensive over the long haul.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

You can be more competitive at 50-100 bucks than standard.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The format is incredibly diverse and fun despite the naysayers claiming the only good decks are burn affinity and infect.

Also you get to play silly dumb decks like Blue Moon with the wincon of Madcap Experiment into Platinum Emperion.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sickening posted:

You can be more competitive at 50-100 bucks than standard.

Do what I did and put together Skred Red and build up store credit if your store awards it for placing in tournaments or if they take trade-ins for booster pack prizes and get whatever you want.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

All of the above and it won't rotate.

You start cheap with a fun deck that is possible of winning and just build up from there, and take the price a little bit at a time.

After I bought into a lot of Standard stuff, I finally got into Modern, and it was way easier on the wallet in the long run building a jank rear end 8-Whack deck and then Mono-Red Burn and now I'm in Naya Burn, and all those versions have been fun and now I have staple cards that go into Delver or Jund or whatever if I wanna build into those.

Modern is cool and good.

e: Also you can get the Modern Event Deck and build into a fun Tokens deck (which I've also done after I found the Event deck for MSRP) if you just want 3/4 of a good deck and a fair amount of staples for $70, provided you get relatively lucky like I did.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 23, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

80s James Hetfield posted:

And then you find the ones that have two commander decks in it. I got so many of the original commander decks buying those.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Star Man posted:

Do what I did and put together Skred Red and build up store credit if your store awards it for placing in tournaments or if they take trade-ins for booster pack prizes and get whatever you want.

Is being able to cycle Mind Stone better than the red mana and extra draw from Scrying Sheets that Coldsteel Heart gives?

Also, is Phyrexian Ironfoot worth considering or is that card not good enough anymore?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Snacksmaniac posted:

And then you find the ones that have two commander decks in it. I got so many of the original commander decks buying those.

:same: Scoured five area Targets for those when people discovered them, found two of them, each had the Scavenging Ooze deck back when scooze was 40bux.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I went 2-2 today at game day and placed 7th. Got owned by Jeskai control and Mardu vehicles. Was playing r/w vehicles myself. I beat a new guy with a starter deck and a newly returned guy playing that was playing u/r dynavolt. It was pretty sweet as last night we had a lot of smuggler copter hitting dynavolt tower 9/11 jokes. The second copter has hit the tower, etc. The Jeskai control deck zapped me with the tower so it was like USA got revenge. Bush hid the facts.

Also it is really fun to pilot a copter with needle spire because the image I get in my mind is a huge mountain flying this copter somehow. It owns.

gently caress control decks. How do I beat them?

I get blown out by stupid torrential gearhulks and blessed alliance wrecking my stupid Gideon that I board in. I need to practice my mind games and body language recognition for control because I made a few judgments in the one match I won that cued me in to what he had, like him watching his hand. I also am getting a bit better at sequencing.

Last game a guy blurted out that I could crew in response to my throbbin' erector getting bolted, and he felt real bad and was like "I JUST CHEATED, poo poo!" but my opponent didn't care, which was cool. All in all, today was a good day to play magic.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Is being able to cycle Mind Stone better than the red mana and extra draw from Scrying Sheets that Coldsteel Heart gives?

Also, is Phyrexian Ironfoot worth considering or is that card not good enough anymore?

Yes. You have a lot of nonsense in your deck so getting redraws is important. You don't need a ton of red mana unless you're playing a build with Demigod of Revenge. With Scrying Sheets you're getting the same deal each way (3 mana to draw an extra card), except mind stone works on the installment plan and won't mind if you have a blood moon out.

I don't really understand why you would consider Phyrexian Ironfoot.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'd cast thraben inspectors turn one, draw on turn 2, immediately say "Hawkeye, trapper, leave Hot Lips alone, chopper!" And hum the mash theme for a few bars before I cast my smuggler's copter.

I cracked my opponent up when he harnessed lightninged my copter by saying "I have a message. Lieutenant Colonel Henry Blake's plane was shot down over the Sea of Japan. It spun in. There were no survivors."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Haven't seen many "value" midrange Aetherworks decks (i.e., not all in on cheating in Eldrazi), have we?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Some Numbers posted:

There's this card called Eternal Scourge that doesn't need mana to be untapped and the only way to get rid of it forever is to use a board wipe, force it to be sacrificed, or kill it in combat.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Rinkles posted:

Haven't seen many "value" midrange Aetherworks decks (i.e., not all in on cheating in Eldrazi), have we?

Not a single one at our game day. Wall-to-wall control tho :gonk:

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Just got back from my LGS after 4-0ing Game Day with the dumb-rear end silly-rear end R/G Pummler deck that SaffronOlive did up (https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-88-36-tix-standard-poisonless-infect literally this list with 2 Lathnu Hellions in place of the Rush Of Adrenaline and one of the Uncaged Fury) and being absolutely gobsmacked by both how stupid lucky i was to get a lot of good hands, as well as how goddamn FUN it is to play a deck that lives or dies on giant fuckoff haymaker attacks.

People who didnt know about the deck already always commented about how they weren't expecting to take the insane amount of damage Pummler could do when the deck went off (and how nasty Pummler is as a card), and it went off a lot for me today, I blew up 3 people with it, one dude got it twice in a row. it owned.

When I wasn't Pummeling I was Brawling, I got a lot out of Voltaic Brawler, like several won games on the back of a Brawler or two. Definitely one of the best cards in the set IMO. Same with Blossoming Defense. I defintely feel that with less good draws that i would have gotten dominated, but it all worked out really well for me when it came to getting energy and having mana,, as well as drawing a pump before pummler came out. Probably the only time i've ever actually enjoyed playing Standard.

Anyways, got my packs, got my playmat, smashed peoples faces in for 32, had a great night.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Just did two gamedays back to back, losing in the finals in the first (drew 7 lands in a row against grixis control, ugh) and won the second one playing BR madness aggro, ending up in the finals against the only person playing the same deck in the room. It has a very powerful resilient gameplan where control was the main deck (everyone wanted to copy jeskai/grixis control) it outgrinded their one to one removal spells and bad wraths. I played against Grixis Control 4 times, RW Vehicles twice, GR Pummeler twice, Jeskai control once and some spicy brews including a RG aggro deck featuring Zada and Mirrorwing dragon which didn't get going but destroyed me in some casual games afterwards.

The only switch I made compared to the 25 points deck listed here http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptkld/24-27-point-standard-decklists-2016-10-16 is that I cut a land and added another lightning axe, because after testing that for other than pariah, the deck can operate perfectly well on 2-3 lands, maybe that was an error, but I didn't fit it too punishing.

The most feel good play I had was when this smug rear end of a guy went all in on pummeler to my board of 2 zombies, cryptbreaker and neonate with 5 mana untapped to make it a 72/72 (hurr you can't grasp of darkness it now hurr) and I casually looted with my neonate, cast a voldaren pariah via madness and transformed her, leaving with him with no cards in hand, no creatures on board and me with a 6/5 flier and able to get 12 power back next turn with scrounger and 3 prized amalgams when he was on 16.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
yikes http://twitter.com/magicprotour/status/790127899147849729

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ban Thraben Inspector, clearly.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
LSV Streams a Kaladesh Draft:
http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/lsv-streams-a-kaladesh-draft-3/
Draft: 19:05
Match 1: 5:59
Match 2: 7:43
Match 3: 16:47
3-0 (6-0)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Friendly reminder that white is prohibited from being bad in standard ever.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Looking at deck lists for U/W flash, I'm pretty sure it's all over the place right now because of bant company. That deck looks like company without the green IMO, I could just be an idiot, I just don't think it's really THIS good of a deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elblanco posted:

Looking at deck lists for U/W flash, I'm pretty sure it's all over the place right now because of bant company. That deck looks like company without the green IMO, I could just be an idiot, I just don't think it's really THIS good of a deck.

It's a pile of good cards that was a good metagame call for the PT. I don't think this is GW tokens 2.0 (in terms of long term dominance) quite yet, but it's obviously powerful and a quite flexible shell, having game against basically everything on the field.

E: I'm not sure how bad the vehicles matchup is.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 23, 2016

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Rinkles posted:

It's a pile of good cards that was a good metagame call for the PT. I don't think this is GW tokens 2.0 (in terms of long term dominance) quite yet, but it's obviously powerful and a quite flexible shell, having game against basically everything on the field.

Of course, I'm not trying to say its bad, its a solid choice for the meta atm, I just thinks it's so popular right now because former bant players have a deck that lets them play the same cards again. It'll probably drop a bit as U/R/x control grows more popular.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

Friendly reminder that white is prohibited from being bad in standard ever.

was devotion REALLY that long ago

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

i can't believe blue is never good, and hasn't been for at least 10 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

rabidsquid posted:

By Devotion do you mean the RTR-Theros standard, starring Sphinx's Revelation, or the Theros-KTK standard, starring Siege Rhino and GW Devotion?

• Locked thread