Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Frankenstyle posted:

I'm surprised only one person has Touch of Satan on their list. Maybe I'm just wired wrong but that one gets me laughing my rear end off no matter how many times I see it. There are other episodes I really like but none of them feel nearly as funny as that one. Except The Final Sacrifice, which comes pretty close.

Now that I think about it, it's weird. I like Joel better, but if I did a top ten they'd definitely all be Mike episodes.

One of my most vivid childhood memories is absolutely losing it from the "Die die die! I mean, hello!" riff in Touch of Satan. It's definitely one of my favorites as well.

Oh, I hope he said peanuts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

TerminalSaint posted:

There's a distressing lack of Pumaman here.

Mr Boods was flicking the the selection of episodes on offer last night, and asked, 'Is this one about a pyuma-man any good?'

I may or may not live with Donald Pleasance. He's definitely not funky and owns no silver muu muus, though.

Myself -- Puma Man, Night of the Blood Beast (so many Steves), both Bryant Halliday films, Melting Man, all brilliant.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
For some reason, I love The Killer Shrews. The movie is just amazing incomprehensible. It's basically a really really badly done "bottle episode"

Other ones I love around Halloween:
The Undead (it's just amazingly well riffed)
Deadly Mantis
Giant Spider Invasion
Werewolf (of course)

Good for the season, but harder to get through:
The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies
Zaat
It Lives by Night

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I got Volume XXXVII (w/bonus disc) today.

That leaves these to be released:

0201 Rocketship X-M
0212 Godzilla vs. Megalon (technically already released in Volume 10)
0213 Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster

0309 The Amazing Colossal Man
0311 It Conquered the World

0416 Fire Maidens From Outer Space
0418 Attack of the The Eye Creatures

0601 Girls Town
0602 Invasion USA
0605 Colossus and the Headhunters
0618 High School Big Shot
0623 The Amazing Transparent Man

0807 Terror from the Year 5000
0809 I Was a Teenage Werewolf

0905 The Deadly Bees
0906 The Space Children
0913 Quest of the Delta Knights

1007 Track of the Moonbeast
1013 Diabolik

That would make five (maybe four if they pushed it) sets to go.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
I watched "The Creeping Terror" the other night and was overwhelmed by the incompetency of it. Jesus Christ, the narration.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Dylazodelan posted:

I watched "The Creeping Terror" the other night and was overwhelmed by the incompetency of it. Jesus Christ, the narration.

It even makes Monster A-Go-Go look good.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Of the ones left I really want Invasion USA and Diabolik.

Diabolik's one of the few that's extremely enjoyable even without the riffs. It's just a plain fun movie.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I just tried to vote for my top 10 and got a 403 error when I hit the Vote button. :ohdear:

I'll try again in a bit. But here's my list, unless I change my mind before I try it again. Most of them are popular and will be getting plenty of votes, but I also want to give some love to some of the more obscure ones.

1. Prince of Space
2. Cave Dwellers
3. Thepumaman
4. Crash of the Moons
5. Jack Frost
6. Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
7. The Amazing Colossal Man
8. The Screaming Skull
9. The Girl in Gold Boots
10. San Francisco International

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I voted for Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster even though there's no way they'll be able to use it on turkey day

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have never been able to decide which is funnier.

Sea Monster is an inherently better MOVIE than Megalon, which makes it easier to watch

But Megalon is a much worse movie which makes the riffing even better. Plus the popcorn sketch, Jesus Christ I don't think they ever surpassed that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I rewatched the popcorn sketch recently and it's just an amazing bit of comedy.

"You should get used to it! You're gonna be eating a lot of cheese! Government cheese!"

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

It even makes Monster A-Go-Go look good.

Let's not go nuts...

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Dylazodelan posted:

It's probably one of my favorite episodes, but I have a weakness for terrible monsters. Especially ones that require their victims' assistance.

The story I read about the narration is that somehow the audio was lost or destroyed after the filming was done. I guess replacing 99% of the dialogue with narration was easier than redubbing their lines.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mister Kingdom posted:

0201 Rocketship X-M

0601 Girls Town
0602 Invasion USA

0905 The Deadly Bees
0906 The Space Children

1013 Diabolik

I wonder if the Rhino volume re-releases will become more frequent once they've finished this list.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Weird ommisions:

Hercules vs the Moonmen, (deep hurting!)
Danger Death Ray, (peaceful purposes)
The Beginning of the End, (Peter Graves!)
The Giant Gila Monster, (seriously why does everyone in that movie put their knees up on things?)
Lost Continent
Beast of Yucca Flats (both shorts are fantastic, the movie itself is 90% cars and desert)
Teenagers from Outer Space
Gamera, (I'm a sucker for their monster voices)
Secret Agent Super Dragon
Laserblast! (Leonard Maltin gave it two and a half stars!)
Monster A Go Go (I really do think it's the worst thing they ever watched and the level of venom it inspires is amazing.)

I'm surprised at you people.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mister Kingdom posted:

0201 Rocketship X-M

0601 Girls Town
0602 Invasion USA

0905 The Deadly Bees
0906 The Space Children

1013 Diabolik

Got my Vol XXXVII yesterday, and it DIDN'T have the bonus disc, even though I preordered as soon as it was announced

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Davros1 posted:

Got my Vol XXXVII yesterday, and it DIDN'T have the bonus disc, even though I preordered as soon as it was announced

Hit them up and let them know, probably everyone who pre-ordered should be getting that bonus disc. I pre-ordered like, two weeks ago and they still had them available at the time.

My copy still hasn't arrived yet so I dunno if it'll be missing the disc or not. The shipping email made it clear it was included, though.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wonder if the Rhino volume re-releases will become more frequent once they've finished this list.

They're chugging along with them right now. Volume 4 was just announced for re-release (Space Mutiny, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, Girl in the Gold Boots, Hamlet)

Edit: Things are definitely about to get verrrry interesting as to what episodes Shout will be able to put out in a box set going forward. The best resource in keeping track of these remains Travis Hosey's thread on the MST3K forum.

The four "easiest" episodes left to acquire are all in season 6, and it'd be kind of strange for a box set to cover just a single season's worth of content (besides the Gamera box set). Aside from that, there are no obvious choices left, although if you're keeping up with that thread, you'll see there might be some movement on getting Track of the Moonbeast.

Diabolik, Girls Town, and the Space Children could possibly make it onto a set, depending on if the current rights holders give them up in the coming year.

Still, I never thought the day would come where we start winding down the release of new MST3K box sets. Great job, Shout (and great job loving up, Rhino, we wouldn't have ever gotten Godzilla v. Megalon if it weren't for your incompetence :cheers:)

Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 23, 2016

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There's also the re-releases of the original single DVDs from 2000/1 that Shout! could do. Eegah needs a new home.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ballz posted:

Hit them up and let them know, probably everyone who pre-ordered should be getting that bonus disc. I pre-ordered like, two weeks ago and they still had them available at the time.

My copy still hasn't arrived yet so I dunno if it'll be missing the disc or not. The shipping email made it clear it was included, though.

Still, I never thought the day would come where we start winding down the release of new MST3K box sets. Great job, Shout (and great job loving up, Rhino, we wouldn't have ever gotten Godzilla v. Megalon if it weren't for your incompetence :cheers:)

I e-mailed them earlier today about it, so now we play the waiting game.

And about new MST3K boxsets, don't forget, there's more new eps coming next year! So that's at least 3 sets.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Davros1 posted:

I e-mailed them earlier today about it, so now we play the waiting game.

And about new MST3K boxsets, don't forget, there's more new eps coming next year! So that's at least 3 sets.

Aren't they going to release the new season in one set?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

On the Kickstarter reward site they put up that let you buy into any of the tiers they were selling it as a complete "Season 11" box.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is anyone else disappointed by the re-releases of the Rhino volumes. Shout goes all out with their Volumes. Each episode gets a single case, the mini posters, special features. These are super bare bones, just like the original Rhino sets. Even the DVD menus are just the title with the ending theme.

I wanted a Big, Beefy Version of Space Mutiny dammit!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Is anyone else disappointed by the re-releases of the Rhino volumes. Shout goes all out with their Volumes. Each episode gets a single case, the mini posters, special features. These are super bare bones, just like the original Rhino sets. Even the DVD menus are just the title with the ending theme.

I wanted a Big, Beefy Version of Space Mutiny dammit!

They specifically said they did this so they didn't feel like they were ripping off the buyers of the Rhino sets by including a whole lot of new stuff.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 24, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I wonder how they'll handle the Vol. 9 re-release. Does Shout have the rights to whatever movie caused the recall for that volume?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The issue with volume 9 was Women of the Prehistoric Planet. Rhino ended up licensing the movie from people who, well, didn't actually have the license for it.

The good news is the movie rights belong to Wade Williams, who has licensed several other MST movies to Shout, so a proper re-release should be feasible. As far as we can tell, the only MST movie he won't license out is Rocketship X-M, due to a personal fondness for the film.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Dylazodelan posted:

The narration is so amazing that I'm just so amazed every time I watch it (especially w/o mst3k commentary). I heard something about a boat, and losing reel in lake or something and that was the reason why most of the dialogue had had a voice-over explaining what people were saying... but at the same time, I also read that wasn't true, so :iiam:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

2DCAT posted:

The narration is so amazing that I'm just so amazed every time I watch it (especially w/o mst3k commentary). I heard something about a boat, and losing reel in lake or something and that was the reason why most of the dialogue had had a voice-over explaining what people were saying... but at the same time, I also read that wasn't true, so :iiam:

Monster A Go Go will always be the worst made film MST3K has done.

Laserblast also has a place in my heart. It was a major release at the time that takes a pot shot at Star Wars, has a legendary clamation guy doing creature effects, Roddy McDowel and it's boring AS gently caress with a annoyingly Emo protagonist.

Ballz posted:

The issue with volume 9 was Women of the Prehistoric Planet. Rhino ended up licensing the movie from people who, well, didn't actually have the license for it.

The good news is the movie rights belong to Wade Williams, who has licensed several other MST movies to Shout, so a proper re-release should be feasible. As far as we can tell, the only MST movie he won't license out is Rocketship X-M, due to a personal fondness for the film.

Really? I always heard it was a Godzilla film.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Really? I always heard it was a Godzilla film.

That was volume 10. That was not a good stretch for Rhino's legal team.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

That was volume 10. That was not a good stretch for Rhino's legal team.

Wow, Rhino really does suck.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
What really got me about "Creeping Terror" is the two cops are hanging out at one of their houses with the wife, and the narrator gives us a minute and a half thing about the one cop's personal life, like "Jim's a good guy, he goes out Fridays and all the ladies love him, but he yearns for something more". Who on God's green earth did they think would be interested in that?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The popcorn sketch and the bots discussing their monsters are two of my favorite host segments ever.

Crow: "He has been... acquainted with the night."
Joel: "Sounds like your monster reads Frost."
Crow: "Yeah, and he shoots it like icy death from his bloody stumps!"

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The creepiest thing about the Creeping Terror (no pun intended) were the sexual undertones whenever the monster ate women. The shots on the legs being sucked in linger a tad too long and then the monster's head then rocks about with its appendages flailing... ugh.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ballz posted:

The creepiest thing about the Creeping Terror (no pun intended) were the sexual undertones whenever the monster ate women. The shots on the legs being sucked in linger a tad too long and then the monster's head then rocks about with its appendages flailing... ugh.

I always like to think that stuff like Creeping Terror is what people with weird-rear end fetishes had to do before DeviantArt existed.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
No poo poo, when I searched "Creeping Terror" on YouTube to watch the episode, the auto-search suggested "Creeping Terror full MST3K", "Creeping Terror full movie" and "Creeping Terror vore".

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Laserblast also has a place in my heart. It was a major release at the time that takes a pot shot at Star Wars, has a legendary clamation guy doing creature effects, Roddy McDowel and it's boring AS gently caress with a annoyingly Emo protagonist.

The movie really barely even has a plot. Aliens drop gun. Kid finds gun. Kid wanders around doing dumb teen movie stuff. Kid gets bullied by dorks. Kid goes on rampage. Kid gets killed by aliens from beginning.

It's a shaggy dog story and even if it weren't, where's the loving movie there?

I mean seriously, some of these movies almost seem like they'd work on the page, but this one shouldn't have even gotten past the pitch meeting.

e: the claymation aliens are legit well done though, even if they're too goofy for the tone the movie seems to be trying for.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 24, 2016

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
I always lose it when Crow giggles at the aliens.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Duckbag posted:

The movie really barely even has a plot. Aliens drop gun. Kid finds gun. Kid wanders around doing dumb teen movie stuff. Kid gets bullied by dorks. Kid goes on rampage. Kid gets killed by aliens from beginning.

It's a shaggy dog story and even if it weren't, where's the loving movie there?

I mean seriously, some of these movies almost seem like they'd work on the page, but this one shouldn't have even gotten past the pitch meeting.

e: the claymation aliens are legit well done though, even if they're too goofy for the tone the movie seems to be trying for.

Well, yeah. as a movie by itself it's a boring poo poo show. But it's a GREAT MST3K episode.

Now if you wanna talk leget good movies from the show, lets talk Magic Voyage of Sinbad.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

CaptainYesterday posted:

There's also the re-releases of the original single DVDs from 2000/1 that Shout! could do. Eegah needs a new home.

By my count, there's four of those: Eegah, I Accuse My Parents, The Hellcats, and The Crawling Hand. Be interesting if they stuck those in a box set together.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

BigRed0427 posted:

Now if you wanna talk leget good movies from the show, lets talk Magic Voyage of Sinbad.

That's not Sinbad.

But since we're on the topic of movies that sound fine on paper, this thread inspired me last night to watch Monster A Go-Go. The premise sounds like a perfectly solid B-movie: an astronaut crash lands but crazy space radiation has turned him into a monster that's going around killing people, so it's up to a band of plucky scientists to save the day. Great, it practically writes itself! How the hell could a filmmaker screw THAT up? ...Well, they found a way. This thing makes Manos look halfway-competent: at least Manos has, you know, some characters, and something that kind of resembles a plot. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Monster A Go-Go may actually be worse than The Beast of Yucca Flats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

This Island Earth is the obvious choice for 'good' MST'ed movie, but I actually like Parts: The Clonus Horror a fair amount for what it sets out to do.