Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Hell yes this is great thanks. Also whyyyyyyy with that infantry

I have no idea.
I really don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Grey Hunter posted:

I have no idea.
I really don't.

Don't worry, I've been known to skulk with my Germans within assault range of Soviet SMG squads.

So much bullets. :smithicide:

But yeah, great job on the 6mm SP game, it looks great.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Don't worry, I'd rather hear about the M3 over the M3 any day of the week.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Grey Hunter posted:

I have no idea.
I really don't.

Eh, making tactical booboos in that era was occasionally known to happen. Clearly that officer was incompetent.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Ilor posted:

Similarly, I am STILL waiting on the Black Tree Desgins American GIs I ordered to round out my platoon. I just want to shoot WW2 infantry. :(
Self-quoting because they finally arrived! Woohoo!

SRF
Oct 31, 2011
Played another game of CoC this week. My Brits were defending this time and fared slightly better, even though my 2" mortar couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Dealing with the massive firepower and large squads of motorised panzergrenadiers seems to require very careful play, as they can absorb a fair amount of incoming fire and hit back very hard.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Re: black tree

I had to ask for a refund after a month had passed without product or update on my order. But they were really nice and refunded my money but sent my product anyway which arrived today and threw in a free mini so I can't complain

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It took forever for my Black Tree stuff to come in, but it was all very nice when it arrived.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Speaking of complaints: We ordered and paid for two sets of CoC tokens from TFL but only received one. Now they're not replying to emails. Anyone have any experience with their customer service?

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 22, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fish and Chimps posted:

Speaking of complaints: We ordered and paid for two sets of CoC tokens from TFL but only received one. Now they're not replying to emails. Anyone have any experience with their customer service?

I only know that there has been some unspecified family troubles that has led to several delays of new stuff this year, could be related to the issue.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ExtraNoise posted:

Don't worry, I'd rather hear about the M3 over the M3 any day of the week.

To be fair though, how instances are there where the M3 and the M5 are fundamentally the same thing, and a lot of lend lease was involved?

Anyway, my copy of Tanks arrived from the Troll Trader today. The Sherman 75/76 plastics in it compare very favourably to the Sherman V and Firefly plastics in Open Fire.

I also got the Pershing/Super Pershing expansion - the only bother with it is that the turrets are two part, and while there's a Pershing top, and a Super Pershing top, there's only one bottom, which means I need to get magnetically creative. Doing the same with the attachable Spershing front plate will also take work.

Taking magnets and lend lease into account, I've got 2 Panthers, 2 Jagdpanthers, 3 StuG IIIs, 8 Sherman (75)s, 2 Sherman (76)s, a Pershing, a Super Pershing, 8 Sherman Vs, 2 Sherman Fireflys, and a Comet. Good start I feel.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Ilor posted:

Self-quoting because they finally arrived! Woohoo!

Still nothing over here. Got another email, basically telling me AGAIN that it's Wayland's problem and that I should just order on Battlefront's website . Wayland told me they don't know why they aren't getting supplied and just suggested that I just cancel my order. The customer service dude also wasn't happy when I told them what Battlefront told me.

Is Battlefront always this poo poo with communicating to their customers or their suppliers?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Commissar Kip posted:

Still nothing over here. Got another email, basically telling me AGAIN that it's Wayland's problem and that I should just order on Battlefront's website . Wayland told me they don't know why they aren't getting supplied and just suggested that I just cancel my order. The customer service dude also wasn't happy when I told them what Battlefront told me.

Is Battlefront always this poo poo with communicating to their customers or their suppliers?

Yes!

I was waiting seven months for some Vietnam GI's.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SRF posted:

Played another game of CoC this week. My Brits were defending this time and fared slightly better, even though my 2" mortar couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Dealing with the massive firepower and large squads of motorised panzergrenadiers seems to require very careful play, as they can absorb a fair amount of incoming fire and hit back very hard.
When dealing with PanzerGrenadiers, you're going to want to use your Bren teams to focus fire on a single German LMG team. Once you've taken out even a single LMG, things will get easier on you. Also, one thing to be aware of with PanzerGrenadiers (something I discovered with Afrika Korps, which is structured similarly with two LMG teams per squad) is that it's easy to fall into the trap of making everything a static shoot. You want to use those delicious 16 firepower dice for two belt-fed LMGs, but doing so deprives you of the ability to maneuver. Your PanzerGrenadier opponent will probably find that if he doesn't inflict casualties quickly, his assaults will stall. This is doubly true if you're dropping smoke all over the field with your 2" mortars.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Commissar Kip posted:

Ugh, I am STILL waiting for my Team Yankee order. The place I bought from (Wayland) says they also don't know why they don't have the goods yet. No word from Battlefront Miniatures customer service other then "check with the store you bought them from or buy directly from our website" - not exactly an answer I was hoping on. I might just cancel my order.

I just want to shoot cold war tanks :(

Do it in 6mm!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

lilljonas posted:

I only know that there has been some unspecified family troubles that has led to several delays of new stuff this year, could be related to the issue.

Rich's dog died :(

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is Axis and Allies: War At Sea any good as a wargame?

And which scale should I go for if just getting into general naval wargaming? 1/1200? 1/2400? And I'm looking now instead of Seekrieg, at Naval Thunder.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 22, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Is Axis and Allies: War At Sea any good as a wargame?

It's the one with prepainted ships and random collectibles style boxes? If so I've played it a few times long ago. It was ok, more of a beer and pretzels game than a heavy duty wargame. If you like ww2 ships and don't want a detailed similation game, it could be worth trying out. Last time I checked the common ships were quite cheap to pick up on ebay.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
At this point in time I'm trying to find an introductory game into Naval Wargaming. The only downside to War At Sea being that its 1/1800 scale is incompatible with any other line of minis so I would be restricted to them.

Can the Topside Minis things be used as bases? I could probably see myself getting Topside Minis things to test out some rulesets then maybe paint up ships and use them as bases.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

goodness posted:

I believe you are right! A small mg with a drum .

Have just assembled and painted one in the background

Puma
36th Lyran Guards parade colours.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

just FYI, that MSP Bones Dragon Black is the best near black I have ever used.
It's a black you can still wash.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I am still waiting on some sp tokens but I know he's been thru some stuff. I don't usually put businesses on blast but don't order from Conquest Miniatures. Their email bounces and they never sent stuff, had to get a PayPal refund.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phi230 posted:

Can the Topside Minis things be used as bases? I could probably see myself getting Topside Minis things to test out some rulesets then maybe paint up ships and use them as bases.
They're good sturdy plywood by the looks of things, so apart from being pretty thick I don't see how they wouldn't work just fine.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ok well Ill try Naval Thunder

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Rich's dog died :(

I think there's been other stuff on top of that, its just the latest in a string of bad times.

Its the problem with being a historical wargamer - they are mostly in their 50's, that's the point where people around you start dying off.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Commissar Kip posted:

Battlefront have plenty of supply issues but man, Wayland are shockingly bad, don't order from them. There's way better stores in the UK that ship overseas if need be.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Flipswitch posted:

Battlefront have plenty of supply issues but man, Wayland are shockingly bad, don't order from them. There's way better stores in the UK that ship overseas if need be.

I've discovered BF are loving awful about getting things even to entirely legit stores, but yeah, I've had issues with Wayland on even non-BF products, so I'm inclined to think they're the common factor there. My favourite little trick of theirs is saying things are in stock when they most assuredly aren't and only telling you this when the reorder actually comes in.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

I've discovered BF are loving awful about getting things even to entirely legit stores, but yeah, I've had issues with Wayland on even non-BF products, so I'm inclined to think they're the common factor there. My favourite little trick of theirs is saying things are in stock when they most assuredly aren't and only telling you this when the reorder actually comes in.
I love this one. Once ordered two packs of stuff only for one to show up with literally zero explanation of why until I emailed a few times asking.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Alright well it happened. I got Naval Thunder and a Late War Pacific battleset from Topside. Will do an AAR.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kommando posted:

just FYI, that MSP Bones Dragon Black is the best near black I have ever used.
It's a black you can still wash.

If you like that you'll love the HD series Armor Grey.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

I finished up a supply wagon from Redoubt, a gun and limber, and a water cart from Warbases for Sharp Practice =)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

muggins posted:

I finished up a supply wagon from Redoubt, a gun and limber, and a water cart from Warbases for Sharp Practice =)

I saw these on the Sharp Practice facebook page! Very nice.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I've been digging through my uncompleted pile of things and it's Perry War of the Roses time again!

Knights in full harness would be utterly terrifying on the battlefield.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Crossposting from the terrain thread:

Step 1 of my Normandy table for Bolt Action completed: hedgerows!

Posted the method I used here: http://warsloth.blogspot.com/2016/10/balsawood-hedgerows.html

Cost me about $25 in materials and made 5 feet of hedgerows so I'm pretty happy with the results. Now to work on buildings and the mat to put it all on, but at least until then I can re-enact the ending of The Shining.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 25, 2016

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Endman posted:

I saw these on the Sharp Practice facebook page! Very nice.

Thanks man! Fingers crossed I get a game in this week.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Class Warcraft posted:

Crossposting from the terrain thread:

Step 1 of my Normandy table for Bolt Action completed: hedgerows!

Posted the method I used here: http://warsloth.blogspot.com/2016/10/balsawood-hedgerows.html

Cost me about $25 in materials and made 5 feet of hedgerows so I'm pretty happy with the results. Now to work on buildings and the mat to put it all on, but at least until then I can re-enact the ending of The Shining.
Did you bake the sand or leave it sitting around for a while before using it? I've had bad luck with beach sand in the past that ended up smelling incredibly fishy.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The thumbnails made me think you were posting pictures of weed.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I can just see you getting pulled over on your way to your next game. "Honest, officer, it's terrain!"

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Did you bake the sand or leave it sitting around for a while before using it? I've had bad luck with beach sand in the past that ended up smelling incredibly fishy.

I left it overnight to sit, but I grabbed it about 100 yards from the waterline so it didn't smell like anything to begin with.

Colonial Air Force posted:

We play by the Nugz of Normandy ruleset. If a flamethrower or explosion hits a hedgerow you pack that bad boy in a bowl and smoke it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Class Warcraft posted:

I left it overnight to sit, but I grabbed it about 100 yards from the waterline so it didn't smell like anything to begin with.
Best of luck, but it's more a problem with time and bacterial cultures than it is one of picking the sand that doesn't smell.