Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I listen to a ton of comedy podcasts, some with people who do dirtier/more offensive jokes than Joe does. They somehow manage to not constantly whine about the ever present SJW menace.

None of them seem to think Steven Crowder is funny and/or relevant like Joe does either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
anti-political correctness = (emotional) resentment that e.g. jokes about a guy is lazy because he's black/Mexican, or mocking a transperson as a freak, are not accepted by modern audiences

Joe and other comedians seem emotionally-driven in that their complaints are usually very vague (and hence, boring). They seemingly don't want to say "I really wish I could use the n-word in my comedy" or whatever is really going on.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

crazy cloud posted:

Joe has been ranting about extremely dumb anti-"PC" poo poo more than usual for a few weeks now and his new special being called triggered does not give me much hope that Joe is not sliding further down the Alex Jones fuckbrain hole.

I don't think Alex Jones and Joe are buddy buddy anymore.

https://youtu.be/kA457aiOcO8

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Joe would never have Alex Jones on, he isn't that stupid.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

crazy cloud posted:

Good, because if your concern is that "certain elements of pc-culture" have reached levels beyond parody, don't loving talk to me. Look up suicide rates for gay and trans youth and then tell me that we have gone too far protecting special snowflakes, you uncaring fuckbrained poo poo.

Ya I was going to say that getting overly emotional is exactly what Joe makes fun of but now I don't need to :frogbon:

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

beep by grandpa posted:

Ya I was going to say that getting overly emotional is exactly what Joe makes fun of but now I don't need to :frogbon:

It's literally a heartless thing to make fun of, and acting like supporting the destructive existing norms is the mature reasonable wise adult thing to do is some dead terrorist puppet tier poo poo comedy garbage and Joe has in the past tried to do/be better than that

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have no earthly idea what you're even on about, who's making fun of dead gay/trans people here? Who said anything like that? Huh? Zuh? Bluuwhu-whu-whaahh?

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

crazy cloud posted:

Good, because if your concern is that "certain elements of pc-culture" have reached levels beyond parody, don't loving talk to me. Look up suicide rates for gay and trans youth and then tell me that we have gone too far protecting special snowflakes, you uncaring fuckbrained poo poo.

you combined two words to make one word :buddy:

hog fat fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 18, 2016

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

crazy cloud posted:

Someone has been triggered

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Crazy cloud is absolutely right

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Yeah Rogan's not actively anti trans so much as he doesn't hold back on the most unusual outliers, like grown men identifying as 8 year old girls and people who shift gender back and forth mid sentence. Maybe you're still not wrong to be uncomfortable with that but it's not quite the same thing as trans bashing. I find it hard to get upset about at this point. That said I'm an rear end in a top hat who listens to podcasts that I don't necessarily agree with and that sometimes get me riled up only to keep myself honest and maintain some degree of empathy with the opposing side.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Listening to and following people you disagree with is a great way to become better rounded in your world view and develop your coping/toleration skills. One thing I've learned from all these years of Howard Stern and Rogan is that I find it fascinating listening to people I disagree with and learning their reasoning. I can honestly say Daniel Carver made me a legit more patient person lol

Seems like not doing this increases the chances of hysterically emotional outbursts calling people uncaring fuckbrained shits at the very first sign of polite disagreement

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

You uncaring fuckbrained poo poo! :owned:

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Yeah, that's the reason I don't remove Trump or blue lives matter assholes from my feed, you need to know what's out there man, and what they're working with.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
So Dinosaurs actually existed, I have learned.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

To Battle posted:

So Dinosaurs actually existed, I have learned.

Woolly Mammoths walking around at the same time as the pyramids were being built kinda blew my mind. I think he said that last time he was on, and I forgot all about it. It probably blew my mind then too.

More people like fat science guy, less hunters/Callen/Schaub please

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Duncan episode :glomp:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Is the paleontologist episode good or no?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Keg posted:

Duncan episode :glomp:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Seltzer posted:

Is the paleontologist episode good or no?

One of the best guests in a long time.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

User Error posted:

One of the best guests in a long time.

I'm not sure how else to ask this, but was he, uh, competent? Joe's science-y guests usually skew towards pseudoscience types who can use sciencey sounding words to come off as credible.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Oh he has a green goatee, yeah this dude gives zero fucks which is the litmus we use to determine if somebody is a credible geo or not (seriously, mostly)

This is a very good episode.

Keg fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 22, 2016

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

So has he found any Annunaki or Bigfoot bones?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Smugworth posted:

So has he found any Annunaki or Bigfoot bones?

It's very possible

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Keg posted:

I'm not sure how else to ask this, but was he, uh, competent? Joe's science-y guests usually skew towards pseudoscience types who can use sciencey sounding words to come off as credible.

The guy knows his stuff, and hates conspiracy theory stuff. Good episode IMO

Also Joe's Special "Triggered" is up on Netflix. It was much better than I expected it to be. I didn't have much hope for it just based on that tittle, but it was much better than his last one.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Dirt posted:

Also Joe's Special "Triggered" is up on Netflix. It was much better than I expected it to be. I didn't have much hope for it just based on that tittle, but it was much better than his last one.

Agreed. I'm not normally a big fan of Joe's stand up, but I really enjoyed this one.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Dirt posted:

The guy knows his stuff, and hates conspiracy theory stuff. Good episode IMO

You mean he topped his "What do you think it would be like if Brock Lesnar raped you" bit from his last special?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

crazy cloud posted:

Shut up concern troll.

You've had this opinion in this very thread before and keep coming back.

You love to be offended. Lapping it up. Mmmmmm lap lap lap.

Almost as if you are ....r..........

:frogout:

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Helical Nightmares posted:

Shut up concern troll.

You've had this opinion in this very thread before and keep coming back.

You love to be offended. Lapping it up. Mmmmmm lap lap lap.

Almost as if you are ....r..........

:frogout:

You seem triggered

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
It is a fad.

WHY SEE ESS
Sep 12, 2006
My theory is that Joe's getting into an argument with Jamie Killstein about the whole Daniel Tosh Rape thing is when he turned from 'both sides are right/wrong about certain things' to consistent alt right views. Not that I think that Killstein is funny or right, but you could see that the idea of rape culture and telling women to get raped perhaps is not a good thing broke him in a fundamental way. After that podcast he def went down the Breitbart hole. He has on constant right/alt right people that reaffirm his views and it's up to him who he wants on his show, but would love an actual leftist to challenge him. I know that actual scientist Cara Santa Maria usually says leftist things and he has no response and just lets her talk. Then next episode he goes back to ranting about sjws.

Only listened to 20 mins of his new special but seems descent. Hope I get triggered soon.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Why do these radio/podcast personalities veer right in their older age? I don't understand it. Is it just the $?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It happens to everyone as they age, I think. There's that one very famous quote (the one about having no heart when you're 20 or no brain when you're 50, etc).

I just turned 30 and I'm honestly not sure what the ratio is on my becoming slightly more conservative vs mainstream leftist views becoming much more extreme. My basic problem with PC culture isn't necessarily the views and rules, I think they're well-intentioned, it's that I think everyone claiming offense/concern trolling is completely full of poo poo. When I was a kid I don't remember universities having to supply therapy counseling for students who got owned by looking at a Halloween costume. The preceding sentence makes me a racist hitler worshipping trump fanatic to some types.

2008 had the tea party for conservatives, and 2013ish to now has whatever the hell this extreme outrage culture as the leftist equivalent. I agree with the poster above that it's just a fad tho. It'll die down as more people mainstream people begin to make fun of its silly nonsense.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 23, 2016

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Triggered is a really dumb special name btw, that word has lost all meaning and I roll my eyes these days these days hearing it cause it's so drat played out. Which is probably an overall good thing.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Moving to the more conservative viewpoint happens to everyone as they age.

:shrug:

To speculate I think it's less "take your opinions and slide them to the right" as one ages, as it is less tolerance for differing points of views and greater confidence in speaking one's mind.

Ie., as age increases the willingness to say "no gently caress you" increases :shrug:

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 23, 2016

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Joe Rogan is a silly man and shouldn't be taken seriously IMO. The shift in the show definitely happened since the rape culture argument though. Rogan simply refuses to see there may be an issue. But this is also a guy whose boss spoke praise for Trump next to Scott Baio and a guy from the Real World, and the MMA world full is chock full of maniacs. http://deadspin.com/why-are-so-many-mma-fighters-truthers-conspiracists-a-1782042590

Duncan ep was good. At this point I like Joe the most when he is with Duncan.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

And before people start hyperventilating on how that's a kinja subsidiary and thus it's a hit job as seen by everyone who wanted to like carry Milo Yabbadadoplis's throne a few posts away, the guy who wrote it is in good terms with Rogan and there's a chance he may pop in on his podcast.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

Triggered is a really dumb special name btw, that word has lost all meaning and I roll my eyes these days these days hearing it cause it's so drat played out. Which is probably an overall good thing.

It's a fun word to use whenever somebody is having a full blown spaz attack about "SJWs".

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's played out, as is cuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I could listen to 4 hours of Joe and Ari/Duncan/Redban/Joey etc shooting the poo poo every day, but all this pissing and moaning about the SJW-boogiemen from the fringes of Tumblr/Twitter really has worn thin. The fanbase is shifting from MMA/comedy/coffee with butter folk to racist arseholes. I've been on his forum for a long while lurking the podcast section mostly and you can definitely see the shift. In 2013 Joe posted a stickied thread about not using the words 'friend of the family' or 'kike'.