Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

don't ever read anything before seeing a movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Cloks posted:

My order arrives tomorrow.

Salo
Shock Corridor
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Tokyo Drifter
Branded to Kill

All blind buys.

Shock Corridor is ok. I think it should have been in the Sam Fuller Eclipse set, and The Steel Helmet gotten it's own release. Also if you haven't seen it you should check out The Naked Kiss

Salo is a real treat

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Rusty Staub posted:

don't ever read anything before seeing a movie

I totally disagree. Don't read other people's reviews or analysis of a film, sure, but films are made and released in a particular context (geographic, time, political, etc). Contexts that contemporary audiences would have understood. Without knowing a little bit about these contexts, certain films won't work as they are intended to.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I can't bring myself to order Salo. I have it on my wishlist, and debate buying it every sale, but I feel dirty when it's in my cart.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't buy a Criterion unless it seems like the kind of movie I will want to watch over and over again, and I can't imagine Salo would be one of those.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I usually only buy criterions that have a commentary from a critic/scholar and at least one other significant-looking supplementary video. At that point I will be watching the film three times (once with commentary) and whatever is the duration of the other material(s). For $20 on sale, that's good value per hour of entertainment.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Salo is really loving good and actually remarkably re-watchable. People forget that its reputation is forged by, like, mid-'70s standards of what's "extreme," and then after that the type of people who watch unofficial I Spit on Your Grave sequels and then complain about Power Rangers looking too 'gritty.'

Honestly, if you're really so uncertain that you could stand Salo, just watch Porcile. There's really no excuse to sleep on Pasolini.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've got the Trilogy of Life but haven't watched any of them yet.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Salo is one of those dvds you leave on your coffee table as a conversation starter.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

blue squares posted:

That's just sad. All three are magnificent, but Decameron is probably the most accessible. Canterbury Tales is the best, however.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

K. Waste posted:

That's just sad. All three are magnificent, but Decameron is probably the most accessible. Canterbury Tales is the best, however.

I watch a lot of movies! I just have a big backlog.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

blue squares posted:

I bought Kaurismaki's proletariat trilogy out of a bargin bin at Borders several years ago. It's still in the shrink wrap. :tootzzz:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Salo is for date nights.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Cloks posted:

My order arrives tomorrow.

Salo

All blind buys.

You will regret this as I did.

Also, my haul...

Valley of the Dolls
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
The Kennedy Films
Burroughs

I was going to get The New World but it was sold out and the sale doesn't apply to backorders. :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Kennedy Films are really interesting, particularly Primary as a contrast to the current election season.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Cloks posted:

Salo is for date nights.

It really is, but only if you can actually take somebody to a theatrical showing of it. At the end of the day, Salo does have elements of romantic tragicomedy. That's what makes it so disturbing, all the notorious stuff is just superficial content.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My order is going to get here today. I love how fast that was. I'm excited or Lady Snowblood it's a blind buy but it looks like it's something that would extremely be my poo poo.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Raxivace posted:

The Kennedy Films are really interesting, particularly Primary as a contrast to the current election season.

Indeed, and I really liked Faces of November as well. It's a good set with lots of interesting tidbits of information.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Flash sale order arrived today. Watching Chimes at Midnight first...

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I got that one, too! I'll be watching it tomorrow morning probably.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

I saw Chimes at Midnight when the restored print was traveling and i couldn't understand the dialogue/story for most of the movie. Looking forward to watching it again but man is it poorly recorded.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I went to a screening of it a few years ago and it was a super beat-up 16mm print. There were maybe five intelligible lines. It was easier to understand Anne Ramsey in Meet the Hollowheads.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

don't ever mention meet the hollowheads

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Chimes at Midnight was incredible. I tried watching it years ago, but the video was so poor quality that I couldn't get through five minutes. This restoration looks fantastic and sound at least as good as Italian dubbed productions of the time.

Watching the trailers on Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. I really want to see Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill now...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That ending bit with Hal's rejection of Falstaff always kills me.

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Indeed, and I really liked Faces of November as well. It's a good set with lots of interesting tidbits of information.
Faces of November really hits hard, especially if you've just watched the other three films. Going from the young, promising Kennedy that can get poo poo done straight to the man's funeral is so heartbreaking.

Also I'm really glad that Criterion didn't squeeze the Zapruder film in there as a fifth film. That would have been a bit trashy, I think.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm still going through the Kennedy/Drew set, but Primary was amazing. Perhaps because I'm following the current election a lot, but it's neat to see two individuals competing in a gentlemanly manner.

I just realized with Chimes, I've finally seen all of Welles' (completed) feature films.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Rusty Staub posted:

don't ever mention meet the hollowheads

What's meet the hollowheads

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I've been working my way through my Criterions and finally watched Yojimbo again after more than a decade probably. I forgot just how good that film is. The cinematography is so amazing to watch. Now to work my way through the special features.

How does everyone watch special features? Do you watch them all right after the movie or come back sometime later.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

checkplease posted:

How does everyone watch special features? Do you watch them all right after the movie or come back sometime later.

I watch the features and then the commentary, spread over a few days after I watch the movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Yojimbo and Sanjuro are a lot of fun.

If it's a film I haven't seen or haven't seen in a while, might watch some extras after the movie. I watched Beyond the Valley of the Dolls for the first time last night, then watched the John Waters interview and the 1990 Q&A. Probably will watch the movie again with Roger Ebert's commentary soon.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Were there other Criterion films with commentary by Ebert? I really liked Life Itself (the book and the documentary), as well as his various books of reviews.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Not Criterion, but Ebert's commentary on Citizen Kane is essential if you're interested in special effects

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Were there other Criterion films with commentary by Ebert? I really liked Life Itself (the book and the documentary), as well as his various books of reviews.

Crumb and Floating Weeds both feature Ebert commentaries.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Not criterion but Dark City

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

He also did a commentary for Casablanca, which is on all DVD and Blu-Ray editions except for the very first DVD. It's a pity he didn't record more before losing his voice because they're excellent tracks.

It's worth noting that his commentary for Beyond was recorded in 2003 for an intended Criterion DVD... and they were wanting to release it on laserdisc in the early 90s. Fox ended up releasing the DVD themselves in 2006. Criterion had to license Valley of the Dolls as well to get Beyond for Blu-Ray.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 22, 2016

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

blue squares posted:

Not Criterion, but Ebert's commentary on Citizen Kane is essential if you're interested in special effects

What this guy said.

Also check out his commentary for Reiner's North. You could tell he's really passionate about the film, like Citizen Kane.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So I just watched A Face in the Crowd last night and seeing as they released on the waterfront which was also by Kazan what are the odds that face in the crowd gets a blu Ray Because holy poo poo that movie was amazing. Andy Griffith is a ducking maniac in that movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The_Rob posted:

So I just watched A Face in the Crowd last night and seeing as they released on the waterfront which was also by Kazan what are the odds that face in the crowd gets a blu Ray Because holy poo poo that movie was amazing. Andy Griffith is a ducking maniac in that movie.

It's likely. It's one of many Warner DVDs that went out of print right at the same time as Day for Night, Cat People, The Asphalt Jungle, and Dreams. It would be an easier title, too, because it was restored by UCLA in the mid-2000s.

Klute, Blow-Up, Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, and The Magnificent Ambersons were also among the titles that went OOP with those films. The folks at Criterion Forum also believe that The Cameraman, Scaramouche, Seven Days in May, Freaks, Show Boat, and I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang were licensed because there's "phantom" pages for the cast and crew on their site. Also, Christopher Nolan personally requested Von Stroheim's Greed.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

On my Boyhood bluray there is no Supplements option on the main menu. WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

blue squares posted:

On my Boyhood bluray there is no Supplements option on the main menu. WTF?

I thought it was two discs? One for movie, one for supplements?