Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My Pixel XL came today, even when I thought it went coming until Monday. I really really like the camera and the fingerprint sensor (coming from a Nexus 6). It's way too early to judge battery life. I haven't really used the assistant yet.

FunOne posted:

I've got the Anker USB C and multiple charger, the 40w older version. Is there any reason to worry about using it with my Pixel? I haven't had any issues with my 6P.

Do I need to update to the version with USB PD (the 60w version)? I can't find any clear information on this.

I'm so worried about chargers with all of the talk about how you can do serious damage and whatnot. I have an Aukey QC2.0 wall charger and got some A to C cables that the Google dude said were good. Is that going to be fine and just slow charging? I'm ok with that as long as it isn't dangerous.

I'll probably just buy some more Google chargers since they'll, in theory, be the most compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dinictus posted:

Well, not sure if I should put this query up into a new thread or not, so erring on the side of caution and asking in the Android thread proper. If this is clogging up the thread, I could just put it up for a thread here or in SH/SC or such.

I'm running a Samsung Galaxy J5 (edit: model number SM-J500FN) that recently has come across the 'Unfortunately process com.android.phone has stopped' error after downloading and installing the Marshmellow update, from Lollipop 5.1.1 iirc. What this error entails, is a continuous pop-up of 'Unfortunately process com.android.phone has stopped' as my Android attempts to have the actual phone portion booted. Shortly after 4G network connection is attempted or established, the phone app (for the lack of a better term) will crash and will shortly after attempt to boot the phone app up again. This continued boot-crash-reboot cycle on the phone app is also absolutely murder on the charge of my Android.

This continued boot-crash-reboot will thankfully stop on removal of my SIM card, but reinserting doesn't seem to do much for actually solving my issues.

I have done a little digging around for some solutions - most of the sources I found provide the same series of solutions, of which an overview is available here. However, I have had no luck so far with most of these solutions, and I would prefer to look at something that isn't an immediate 'root your poo poo,' 'custom ROM your poo poo' or 'factory reset.' Though obviously, if I have to do a factory reset, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet.
  • Reject messages must be <5
    Accounted for - four messages. No impact on issue.
  • Clear cache and force stop
    I've looked at the mentioned services and cleared cache where requested here, or otherwise force-stopped the application. Additionally, trying to turn off the Phone app is pretty much impossible with the continued error messages popping up - it shuts down the app, and forces me back in my Application Manager. I can literally only do this with my SIM card removed. Besides that, I have three instances of Phone on my Application Manager. A 3.63 MB v1.0.0, a 12.36 MB v1.0.0, and a 14.66 MB v1.3.09. Not sure if this is even significant information, what, with how system apps may operate.
  • New APN settings (for network problems)
    Solution involves rooting - I'm trying to avoid this unless absolutely necessary. Considering my device keeps having the issues on trying to establish network connection, this may be significant.
  • Wipe cache partition
    Easiest solution most commonly suggested after clearing app caches and some force stops. Sadly, that did not solve my issues.
  • Clear data SIM Toolkit
    Unable to even do as much as either clear data or cache data for SIM Toolkit - the options are simply greyed out.
  • Stopping automatic updates
    One of the earliest steps undertaken. After reboots, no change in error message behaviour. I can probably rule this one out.
  • Use custom ROM
    Unsure which OS to switch towards. Would prefer to look at solutions that do not involve mucking with ROMs either, but if I have to, I might as well listen to some folks experienced with this and who have a few suggestions which OS to switch to.
  • Factory reset (last option)
    :smithicide:
What should be my course of action here?

There's really only one course of action available. Factory reset, then once that fails, reflash the stock firmware. I don't think anything else has even a chance of fixing it and I'm pretty sure reflashing the stock firmware is the only thing that will.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Getting ready to switch from iPhone to Pixel. I turned off iMessages already on my end, but I'm not getting texts from other iPhone people. What do I need to do?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

There's really only one course of action available. Factory reset, then once that fails, reflash the stock firmware. I don't think anything else has even a chance of fixing it and I'm pretty sure reflashing the stock firmware is the only thing that will.

Well, :suicide:

Not exactly the news I had been hoping to hear, but that was the last possible solution, so thanks all the same. I'll look into that on returning home from my vacation trip. Any solid backup software you can suggest to me in particular? I will have access to a larger SD card back home, at least.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Figured it out. FaceTime was the hang up

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
FaceTime is the one thing I'm jealous of with my wife's iPhone. It consistently works a lot better than either Hangouts or Duo.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Dinictus posted:

Well, :suicide:

Not exactly the news I had been hoping to hear, but that was the last possible solution, so thanks all the same. I'll look into that on returning home from my vacation trip. Any solid backup software you can suggest to me in particular? I will have access to a larger SD card back home, at least.

if you don't have root I think carbon is your only option for backups. before doing that I'd yank the sim and clear data on all the phone apps (not just cache) and try to disable them one by one and see if that fixes it. you def shouldn't have three phone apps and I wouldn't be surprised if the two that are marked as the same version are conflicting

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hooah posted:

FaceTime is the one thing I'm jealous of with my wife's iPhone. It consistently works a lot better than either Hangouts or Duo.

I have never used it once and I don't care about it at all.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

a friend of mine used it to talk to her husband while he was in afghanistan and it seemed handy for that. dont get the appeal of using it to talk to someone you'll otherwise see regularly tho, and especially don't see the appeal of using it in public but see people doing so all the drat time

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Blue Train posted:

if you don't have root I think carbon is your only option for backups. before doing that I'd yank the sim and clear data on all the phone apps (not just cache) and try to disable them one by one and see if that fixes it. you def shouldn't have three phone apps and I wouldn't be surprised if the two that are marked as the same version are conflicting

Can't disable the individual Phone apps either, the options for such are greyed out across all three Phone apps.

Perhaps rooting would be more useful then. Remove the least of the two v1.0.0 versions, see if that clears things up, and factory reset or reflashing stock firmware.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

rooting would let you use titanium backup which is better than carbon but unless your bootloader is already unlocked I'm p sure it will factory reset when you unlock it

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
While reading the news this morning, my 5X shut off, went into a bootloop, and then stopped responding to the power button. It's literally 12 months, 3 weeks old. I'm on my wife's iPhone 5 waiting to hear if they'll replace it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I have never used it once and I don't care about it at all.

We use it to talk with our family on the other side of the country. Not every conversation, of course, but it's nice to see each other more often than holidays.

Edit: also my pixel shipped. 😁

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

nocal posted:

While reading the news this morning, my 5X shut off, went into a bootloop, and then stopped responding to the power button. It's literally 12 months, 3 weeks old. I'm on my wife's iPhone 5 waiting to hear if they'll replace it.

This has been happening a lot to 5X's from some quick googling. I guess it's also happening with other LG phones.

I hope Google will do you a solid. 6P's are dropping in price like rocks right now on Swappa, and I picked up a 32GB one from $330 early last week. They're down to about $300.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah everyone is selling their 6p now that the pixel is out. There are dozens of new listings every day, some of them very cheap.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Whole day at home on WiFi and automatic brightness at 50%.
Will be interesting to see what a normal day of work will do. Especially since reception at work is kinda bad.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

This has been happening a lot to 5X's from some quick googling. I guess it's also happening with other LG phones.

I hope Google will do you a solid. 6P's are dropping in price like rocks right now on Swappa, and I picked up a 32GB one from $330 early last week. They're down to about $300.

They transferred me to LG, whose solution is "send it to us and within 7-9 days we will determine if it's your fault and if we will fix it or replace it."

I don't have a backup phone and I actually need it for my job. Just ordered the Pixel. I guess I could have ordered the 5X again, but whatever.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

have you tried hitting it against the desk

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is Android Pay on the Nexus 6P rejecting payments just for having an unlocked bootloader now? I haven't been able to use it in the last week and I'm definitely not rooted.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is Android Pay on the Nexus 6P rejecting payments just for having an unlocked bootloader now? I haven't been able to use it in the last week and I'm definitely not rooted.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/19/safetynet-api-fails-unlocked-android-phones-android-pay-affected/
http://www.androidcentral.com/android-pay-no-longer-works-if-you-unlock-your-bootloader-and-thats-good-thing

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RZA Encryption posted:

We use it to talk with our family on the other side of the country. Not every conversation, of course, but it's nice to see each other more often than holidays.

Edit: also my pixel shipped. 😁

Posting from mind right now suck it nerd

Edit the only thing I'm really struggling with is not having the physical home button that I'm used to

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 23, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If Google doesn't send XL stock to Canada I swear to god I will write a strongly worded tweet about it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dear Dave Google my name is CLAM DOWN and Canada not getting the pixel XL is basically phone rape

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

nocal posted:

They transferred me to LG, whose solution is "send it to us and within 7-9 days we will determine if it's your fault and if we will fix it or replace it."

Did you buy it direct from Google or somewhere else?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

If Google doesn't send XL stock to Canada I swear to god I will write a strongly worded tweet about it.

Have you tried those popup Google shops at Best Buy? If you're in the GVA area, which I think you are, Coquitlam, Surrey and Burnaby all have stores with one in them. If I had to guess, they'd be the #1 priority for Google to be pushing inventory to if there is any in Canada.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Dear Dave Google my name is CLAM DOWN and Canada not getting the pixel XL is basically phone rape

I mean that's not the first analogy I'd think of but okay

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Godinster posted:

Have you tried those popup Google shops at Best Buy? If you're in the GVA area, which I think you are, Coquitlam, Surrey and Burnaby all have stores with one in them. If I had to guess, they'd be the #1 priority for Google to be pushing inventory to if there is any in Canada.

I've literally been to all those in the past 3 days haha, including Metrotown and Pacific Centre. They all said they expect more stock Monday so I will continue my quest then.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Wrist Watch posted:

I mean that's not the first analogy I'd think of but okay

You're thinking wrong then

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Godinster posted:

Coquitlam didn't have anything in Best Buy.

There was a guy with a google hoodie selling up the phone but Best Buy wouldn't sell outside of contract.

I ended up getting in line for an XL 128GB through Rogers, just waiting for the email that they are at my local store to pick up.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Watching 5x prices go down on Swappa. Wtb 2x 32gb 5x $400 freedom dollars

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are the Pixels at Best Buys locked down into demo mode? I went to play with one at a Verizon yesterday, but there's only so much I can do to compare the snappiness "feeling" to my current phone if I'm not able to download something like Sky Force Reloaded or shove a bunch of apps into the app drawer to test the scrolling there.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Watching 5x prices go down on Swappa. Wtb 2x 32gb 5x $400 freedom dollars

I've got one, PM if you desire.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hooah posted:

Are the Pixels at Best Buys locked down into demo mode? I went to play with one at a Verizon yesterday, but there's only so much I can do to compare the snappiness "feeling" to my current phone if I'm not able to download something like Sky Force Reloaded or shove a bunch of apps into the app drawer to test the scrolling there.

No, you can turn off the retail display mode, but I wouldn't recommend logging onto your Google account on it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just saw a Pixel ad on TV and it said "Only at Verizon". This may technically be true, but it seems like a really stupid thing to do because people won't think they can be used on other networks, or purchased directly from Google.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

withoutclass posted:

I've got one, PM if you desire.

Might do this gotta check with my wife :o

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Anyone with a Pixel regular coming from a Galaxy S7? If so - comparison?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CLAM DOWN posted:

No, you can turn off the retail display mode, but I wouldn't recommend logging onto your Google account on it.

I wasn't planning on doing anything that foolish. How do you turn off the demo mode? I poked around for a few minutes but it seems I was logged in as a demo user rather than the device owner. I didn't want to take the time (or raise the ire of the employees) to reboot the phone.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
im sure im missing something really dumb but how do i transfer stuff from my PC to my Pixel

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Just saw a Pixel ad on TV and it said "Only at Verizon". This may technically be true, but it seems like a really stupid thing to do because people won't think they can be used on other networks, or purchased directly from Google.

I'm sure that was a condition for having it in Verizon stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

im sure im missing something really dumb but how do i transfer stuff from my PC to my Pixel

plug it in and click the thing that pops up?