Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

elf help book posted:

yea with a woolly poochy amiibo

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Also if you guys don't think that Nintendo's going to double-dip the gently caress out of their games to start porting poo poo over to the Switch you're nuts. Nintendo loves rereleases, just not as much as Capcom.

I'm seriously hoping that the screen is a touch pad and we can transfer over our Wii U purchases and just have a unified Nintendo console, because I really want to sell my loving Wii U once I have a Switch.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Soul Glo posted:

No matter why you buy them this is still more than likely what's going to happen

The PS4 Pro and Scorpio are the first steps of this from their companies, and with the Switch being on a CPU that's basically ripped from phones, it'll probably start happening there too

It's a brave new world, maybe just buy a PC that'll last five years

It sucks. I could write the whys, but Jim Sterling did the job for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKwo6zns8X0

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rexroom posted:

It sucks. I could write the whys, but Jim Sterling did the job for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKwo6zns8X0

This guy seems fairly reasonable in opposition to what I expected when he showed up on screen, but why the hell are his videos covered in so much nazi iconography?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

This guy seems fairly reasonable in opposition to what I expected when he showed up on screen, but why the hell are his videos covered in so much nazi iconography?

You get three guesses

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I made it 27 seconds into that video, what do I win

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Soul Glo posted:

H-yOUU

H-wINNN

UNG--NNNNNNOTHING

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/KingAveryGames/status/790125092974059520

Looks like the pants discussion will be coming back soon...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Soul Glo posted:

No it's weird, as soon as he is no longer on screen he seems like a completely reasonable normal person, more or less, and the video is fine. I'm just not sure why he is trying to kill Indiana Jones.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

He has a gimmick i guess. Hes like if nintendo had a fat human console

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I just watched the add and I don't care for the pitch. I'm not really sure if I can ditch the Wii U for the Switch.

Edit: I don't mean to bitch but I prefer the name NX rather than Switch.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 23, 2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

No matter why you buy them this is still more than likely what's going to happen

The PS4 Pro and Scorpio are the first steps of this from their companies, and with the Switch being on a CPU that's basically ripped from phones, it'll probably start happening there too

I wonder how well those will actually do. And I was gonna say something about Nintendo just doing their own thing, but they've done the updated console thing on the portable side since...forever? GB and GBC, DS and DSi, 3DS and New 3DS (meanwhile I don't think GBA ever did though, just screen upgrades and different form factors).

But anyway I could see Nintendo bucking the trend and just focusing on getting costs and pricing down. Ultimately they're also more limited by being a portable, so they could also go for efficiency gains with any advancements rather than power in the same envelope. They could get more battery life or maybe cram it into a smaller form factor to eventually succeed the 3DS, if they want to continue in that space instead of conceding it completely to phones/tablets.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I guess if it's cart based there's no means of backwards comparability is there (unless i missed some kind of announcement that the home dock has a disc drive in it)?

Though if it's got a completely new set of guts inside of it, there's a good chance it can't even play unported Wii/WiiU games.

Basically, i'm probably gonna get this at some point, but if i'm able to just use my preexisting collection on it (including GC games, like you can on a modded Wii IIRC) then it'll be more sooner than later that i pick one up.

Actually, i think having the Switch be backwards compatible would be something that gives them a strong selling point. Like, for all the 30 something and above gamers like me (who have a collection of nintendo games in some form or another), being able to play them on it just means my collection isn't filling up closest space now. If they also made everything available online (maybe in the form of some sort of Club Nintendo subscription instead of £5+ an old game) then you've got a gateway for all the younger kids who never played those games but have their parents and adults talking about them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Just announce Captain Toad 2 goddamnit

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I learned a lot about how dumb people are about their phones and tablets from this thread

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
People throw the word "port" around a lot nowadays. I don't think everyone knows what it means.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waltzing Along posted:

People throw the word "port" around a lot nowadays. I don't think everyone knows what it means.

I know, right? Kids these days...

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Wait, is this the first Nintendo console without a cross pad controller?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kin posted:

I guess if it's cart based there's no means of backwards comparability is there (unless i missed some kind of announcement that the home dock has a disc drive in it)?

Though if it's got a completely new set of guts inside of it, there's a good chance it can't even play unported Wii/WiiU games.

Basically, i'm probably gonna get this at some point, but if i'm able to just use my preexisting collection on it (including GC games, like you can on a modded Wii IIRC) then it'll be more sooner than later that i pick one up.

Actually, i think having the Switch be backwards compatible would be something that gives them a strong selling point. Like, for all the 30 something and above gamers like me (who have a collection of nintendo games in some form or another), being able to play them on it just means my collection isn't filling up closest space now. If they also made everything available online (maybe in the form of some sort of Club Nintendo subscription instead of £5+ an old game) then you've got a gateway for all the younger kids who never played those games but have their parents and adults talking about them.

You have every nintendo system you dont need back compat.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Shield can run Doplhin and emulate Wii games(not great, but they run). With the Switch likely being more powerful, not having to deal with android, and Nintendo being able to code closer to the metal they could probably run at least some emulated Wii games if they wanted.

Don't think they will though.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

XtraSmiley posted:

Wait, is this the first Nintendo console without a cross pad controller?

It's on the Switch pro controller, so I guess the answer is no unless yes.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Rexroom posted:

It's on the Switch pro controller, so I guess the answer is no unless yes.

If that controller doesn't come with the system, then it doesn't count right?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

XtraSmiley posted:

If that controller doesn't come with the system, then it doesn't count right?

That is a subjective judgement entirely up to you and me and everyone we know

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

it's the portion of a city or town at which sailing ships may participate in commerce

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Bass Bottles posted:

That is a subjective judgement entirely up to you and me and everyone we know

Uh, I guess, but not really? I mean, maybe I should have said, it's the first Nintendo console that doesn't come with a cross pad then?

I mean it's an add on, and unless 100% of a systems user base has something, historicaly support has been very weak.

Not that any of this matters, I was just asking. I love Nintendo and this is a day one purchase for me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Allstone posted:

that's crazy talk where I come from nobody can afford electronics the joke is that Australian electronics pricing is almost as bad as its housing bubble

I live in Vancouver, which makes Sydney's bubble look tame (average home costs $2 million in my area). All you do is refinance your mortgage to pay for video games because prices can only go up, up, up!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Soul Glo posted:

Pc's cost way more for one that will last 5 years into the future though. People always argue that you could build a rig for the same as a console but can't actually back it up when asked to prove it.

I was excited for steam boxes until I saw the specs they were rocking at the 400 price point. And laughable if you want 5 years out of one.

Jim has a fair point about weasel word marketing. But as of the last patch ps4 shows you where the early start and full game is on the download bar. Also you DONT have to pay to download a game, just to play online, so the lovely service he's getting is not paid for. (Doesn't make its dl speed not poo poo.) And unless it is a online shooter, you can start any physical game before patching and it will give you a pop up with the dreaded day one patch is done and ask you to restart. It's pretty convenient actually. I wish you could preload those patches for a game you are getting phisically.

Bottom line is consoles are still plug and play, way cheaper. (Prove me wrong I welcome it). And settings are pre-optimized, and you never get a oops this game just doesn't work on you video card pc bullshit that I'm to old to deal with. Still rather drop 400 every 3 years then 1500 on a pc that lats 5.

All that aside. Nintendo has been better then the rest about physical media not needing day one patches, patches being significant and adding things. And with the portable angle there is just zero competition for it. The only question is do you wait 2 years for the lite? That's probably guaranteed based on tablet manufacturing and what you do when a print run is done, with better newer chips all the time.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Pc's cost way more for one that will last 5 years into the future though. People always argue that you could build a rig for the same as a console but can't actually back it up when asked to prove it.

i hate these people. you can technically do it, but you're basically building a console, and some of your components will be hilariously garbage

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I never said you could build a PC for the same as a console, I said we're heading into an upgrade-oriented future, and soon buying a console because you can just play all the new games without worry won't be an option.

Not with the Pro or Scorpio or even the next Switch iteration, but soon. Traditional video game console generations are over.

You seem to be looking for an argument and holy poo poo I'd rather just play Battlefield 1 instead, so have fun your own way, fellow goon~

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

I never said you could build a PC for the same as a console, I said we're heading into an upgrade-oriented future, and soon buying a console because you can just play all the new games without worry won't be an option.

Not with the Pro or Scorpio or even the next Switch iteration, but soon. Traditional video game console generations are over.

You seem to be looking for an argument and holy poo poo I'd rather just play Battlefield 1 instead, so have fun your own way, fellow goon~

i don't think he was accusing you of that, just saying that PCs are more pricey than some people suggest

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Just announce Captain Toad 2 goddamnit

captain twoad

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
PC gaming is good for cheap games.

But it is also populated with PC gamers.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Why is everyone saying that Mario Maker can't be on the switch if it's not touch screen? Is it really be so impossible to imagine using, say, the left joystick to control the cursor and the right joystick to control the camera?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

PC gaming is good for cheap games.

But it is also populated with PC gamers.

Donald Trump will put and end to PC gamers

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Maybe it's petty of me to say this, but I hope ths Ps4 Pro and Scorpio fail so that we don't enter an era of mid-generation updates.

Seriously, what's the point? How much better can graphics get, without becoming even more unreasonably expensive to develop? Nintendo kind of managed to pull it off with their handhelds because handheld are cheaper, but I sure as gently caress don't have the money to be buying new, nearly identical consoles every few years.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

youcallthatatwist posted:

Maybe it's petty of me to say this, but I hope ths Ps4 Pro and Scorpio fail so that we don't enter an era of mid-generation updates.

Seriously, what's the point? How much better can graphics get, without becoming even more unreasonably expensive to develop? Nintendo kind of managed to pull it off with their handhelds because handheld are cheaper, but I sure as gently caress don't have the money to be buying new, nearly identical consoles every few years.

is it possible that what seems like a new trend is actually just a one-off change to take advantage of 4k? both of these new iterative updates are designed specifically to better handle 4k games.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Are people actually buying 4K TVs? Or is Sony just trying to sell their stock of 4K TVs because nobody is buying them, much like their 3D TVs?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

youcallthatatwist posted:

Seriously, what's the point? How much better can graphics get, without becoming even more unreasonably expensive to develop?

To be fair the PS4 and Bone can barely run games approaching modern graphical standards now. I agree that it's not a great idea to turn consoles into mobile phones (upgrade wise) but it's not because they should settle for their current graphical capabilities.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

You said buy a 5 year pc over dealing with upgrade culture. I argue its cheaper even if you upgrade every time, then building a good pc that will actually last 5 years without looking like poo poo. A good 5 year pc is probably $1500-2000 easy. look up some 5 year old video cards for a laugh. Especially nintendo products have good tradein on the new console as well. 3ds to new 3ds cost ~$100 to upgrade. Consoles $200-300. console generations are getting sub-epocs not ending. (maybe xbone is truley ending). In all cases they are cheaper then a pc that lasts 5 years.

Consoles tend to get better looking games over their life, PC's performance drops dramatically, and it subjective at what point low settings on PC you count as lasting 5 years. so its all very debatable. but still more expensive/frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Decus posted:

Are people actually buying 4K TVs? Or is Sony just trying to sell their stock of 4K TVs because nobody is buying them, much like their 3D TVs?

Yes, not just for 4k, most tv's with decent specs will have 4k along for the ride. I shopped a bunch last year and there are some, very few 1080p tv's with amazing specs, but i doubt this years models had any left. its the standard for new tv's not from walmart.

• Locked thread