Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Meiteron posted:

Here is the story in a nutshell:

(snip!)

Thanks! This does help me connect the dots about some of my missing acquaintances.

Unsurprising that catering to the "armchair hardcore" drat near killed a large chunk of the population. *Glances over at Wildstar*

ActionZero posted:

The step from A2 to A3 was so extreme that lots of raiding groups fell apart out of frustration and raiding communities on some servers pretty much died. I'm on Hyperion which isn't a small server but finding a new group after my previous one stopped due to pregnancy has been a struggle (though I'm specifically looking for EU time which isn't exactly easy on the NA data centre) though there are a lot more PFs than there used to be.

I wonder if the smaller servers have been recovering. Obviously this isn't a concern for the main goon FCs but I've kind of grown attached to this dumb, tiny server I'm on. (Brynhildr) I noticed a ton of sprouts since coming back and a quick peek at the Lodestone World Survey would indicate that it's actually 3/4ths the size of Excal rather than, say, a quarter. But all of our comparatively big names and even entire FCs had left, so even if Brynhildr isn't technically "small" it really doesn't feel as big as the numbers say it ought to.

Fake edit: Also apparently Brynhildr had very recently joined the "limiting new characters" club, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anecdotally, just looking at PF activity, Creator seems to have saved raiding on Ultros (which I think is a medium sized server?).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If it weren't for the server code being made of literal spaghetti I would recommend a server crunch like they've done a few times in 11. Considering that each server can only hold a relatively small number of players operating on it simultaneously that can't really work though.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

cheetah7071 posted:

Anecdotally, just looking at PF activity, Creator seems to have saved raiding on Ultros (which I think is a medium sized server?).

Huzzah, another Ultros goon! And yeah, we're medium sized I think though there's still the occasional exodus to Gilgamesh and the PF's of dumb people who can't do basic mechanics.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
There may be as many as five of us on Ultros!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Newbie perma-group blind dungeon run: Pharos Sirius

The 2.1+ main story quest is an awful slog that nobody should ever have to do, so we're procrastinating a lot lately and doing new dungeons instead. Next up is Pharos Sirius, which we chose because it has a cool name.

Group: WAR, WHM (me), MNK, SMN

Symond the Unsinkable - Lots and lots and lots of AOE, plus adds and stacking debuffs. This is one of those fights that's probably super tough if you're not overgeared, but we had enough buffer that the stacking crystal AOE procs weren't a wipe-level danger. We thought the dogs were the only things causing the stacks and try to avoid them when we had more than one, but I think maybe other attacks from the boss were adding them too? It was bright and chaotic and hard to tell, so we definitely had a couple go off. Anyway, we killed him on the first try. I think one of our DPS died at some point just because we were being a little sloppy our first time through.

Zu - Hey, a ring of eggs appeared. Let's kill them all with AOE! That's a great id--

Attempt #2: Okay, let's NOT touch the eggs. Hey, a few hatched and made babies! They don't seem to be hurting us too bad. Oh, more? Eh. Even more? Wow, they're really starting to deal some major damage. Let's just bust out a few AOE's and--

Attempt #3: We finally decided to have me (the healer) take care of single-targeting each hatchling while everyone else focused on the boss. There were some AOE's that were easy to mitigate, and the boss didn't really hit too hard for the most part. That worked well -- switch to heal mode and Regen everyone plus maybe a Cure on the tank, then back into Cleric stance for some baby-killin'. :byewhore:

Tyrant - Not really a boss. Died like a punk.

Siren - We're always careful to watch our debuffs when we first go into a new fight. As soon as we saw Siren's Song and the large DOT debuff, we knew this was going to be a healer-centric fight. There was some damage being flung around, and I had to keep Regen on everyone, but it wasn't too bad. Until the second phase, when she starts casting Lunatic Voice, too. By this point I had stopped watching for new debuffs, and we died horribly when basically everyone got charmed.

The second time through it just came down to more Esuna-ing. Our WAR realized he could interrupt the cast bar on Lunatic Voice (stun or silence?), and at that point the fight became trivial. Boss down!

Neat dungeon overall. Very little trash to kill, and the unique boss mechanics give you good feedback on what's happening so you can learn the fights. We'll talk about certain other dungeons that don't do that very well shortly.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Eopia posted:

There may be as many as five of us on Ultros!

Just us now, two left for Excalibur a little while back.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

WhiteHowler posted:

Zu - Hey, a ring of eggs appeared. Let's kill them all with AOE! That's a great id--

Attempt #2: Okay, let's NOT touch the eggs. Hey, a few hatched and made babies! They don't seem to be hurting us too bad. Oh, more? Eh. Even more? Wow, they're really starting to deal some major damage. Let's just bust out a few AOE's and--

Attempt #3: We finally decided to have me (the healer) take care of single-targeting each hatchling while everyone else focused on the boss. There were some AOE's that were easy to mitigate, and the boss didn't really hit too hard for the most part. That worked well -- switch to heal mode and Regen everyone plus maybe a Cure on the tank, then back into Cleric stance for some baby-killin'. :byewhore:

:unsmigghh:

I once convinced a couple of friends in my FC who hadn't done Pharos in a very long while to kill the eggs on purpose because it was a Cool New Strat TM to kill Zu quickly

I laughed so hard

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

WhiteHowler posted:

Our WAR realized he could interrupt the cast bar on Lunatic Voice (stun or silence?)
Warriors don't have a silence ability, so stun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Pharos at min. iLvl sync is a hell of a thing.

Especially if you're trying to take Bhoot through to the end.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Zereth posted:

Warriors don't have a silence ability, so stun.

You can silence that ability as well though. It's pretty generous since you really have to stop the cast

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gally posted:

You can silence that ability as well though. It's pretty generous since you really have to stop the cast
Shows how much I play classes that can silence I guess! :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A max level Careless Whisper ninja gets ugly glow armour too.

(MRD and CNJ do too, ACN doesn't. I don't have any other 50's yet.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How long should I expect the whole 2.1+ Heavensward lead-up story to take once I'm at 50? I'm a little bit dreading it because I've heard how much of a slog it can be, but Heavensward seems cool and I want in on that. I think I left off halfway though the 2.1 stuff if I remember correctly.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 23, 2016

shas
Jul 27, 2011

Also anecdotal, but it seems like there's far more activity in PF for A9S/A10S on Ragnarok than there was for either turn before

although as it's more than two weeks in, they're all weekly clear parties refusing to take people with bonus, but it's progress of a soft

(gently caress ragnarok)

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

How long should I expect the whole 2.1+ Heavensward lead-up story to take once I'm at 50? I'm a little bit dreading it because I've heard how much of a slog it can be, but Heavensward seems cool and I want in on that. I think I left off halfway though the 2.1 stuff if I remember correctly.

It's all new to you. It will be more fun if you don't just think of it as "stuff I have to do to get to HW". The only bad patch was 2.1.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Harrow posted:

Depending on your pace, I'd estimate somewhere between 25-50 hours. Each patch is probably, at a faster pace, about 5 hours.

Take your time though. Break it up. Do Hildibrand and other quests as well.

And when you get to the dungeons/trials, get goons to blitz you through if you want to go faster.

2.1 is weak, but then again, I also think 3.1 was a little weak. I think the first content patch after any new main story is going to feel a little weak as most of the time, the story is going to involve picking up the pieces from the 2.0/3.0 climax and beginning a redirection toward what is to come.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Moldy Taxes posted:

This is really good information, and I appreciate it.

I tend to play Paladin for Savage and Extreme content (in Sophia mostly because I can cheese a tankbuster and a few tilts), but I like to take my Dark Knight into 4 man stuff. I've been wanting to take DRK into Creator Savage for a while now, but I'm always worried that keeping Grit dropped for the whole fight would lead to me dying more.

My other concern is for tank swaps, like the A10 swaps, with a Warrior co-tank. The way we're handling them right now is that for the first two we'll pop our deathless cooldowns when we get marked for the line damage to keep DPS up, but I'm afraid if I don't have grit up when it's my turn to go in I won't be able to grab hate back when it's my turn, with both the Warrior and I using hate combos. Is this something DRKs in Savage can shed some light on?

I know this is from a few pages back but I wanted to chime in here since I've been playing DRK for almost all of Heavensward and have used it in all of the Savage tiers. You should make the switch to DRK for Creator Savage even though the first three fights favor PLD because you're going to want DRK's magic mitigation for A12S while you're learning the fight. Divine Spear and Punishing Heat deal insanely high amounts of magic damage (Divine Spear hits for about 27k with only Grit up for example) and are used back to back commonly during the fight.

To answer your question specifically for A10S, you should be fine doing the tank swaps in that fight without needing Grit up unless your warrior co-tank is sitting in Defiance. I try to have at least one ogcd ability like Low Blow or Dark Passenger up when I'm about to take a boss off of my co-tank to help bolster my enmity generation with a little extra damage as I use my Power Slash combo. It can be a little touch and go at first depending on your gear vs your co-tank's gear so you might want to throw out an extra Power Slash combo if you feel you need to give yourself extra breathing room as well but I haven't really found myself needing to do that often when I swap.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dragon, dragon, rock the dragon...

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I quit in 3.0 pretty much right after finishing the story. I just resubbed. Is there a guide to catching up on things I've missed?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tsurupettan posted:

I quit in 3.0 pretty much right after finishing the story. I just resubbed. Is there a guide to catching up on things I've missed?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10GOT6OpviApNsCIKiDJfVpktObeETow9cSNacnb-jyA/edit

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Moldy Taxes posted:

My other concern is for tank swaps, like the A10 swaps, with a Warrior co-tank. The way we're handling them right now is that for the first two we'll pop our deathless cooldowns when we get marked for the line damage to keep DPS up, but I'm afraid if I don't have grit up when it's my turn to go in I won't be able to grab hate back when it's my turn, with both the Warrior and I using hate combos. Is this something DRKs in Savage can shed some light on?

Using holmgang for the line buster sounds like a good idea on paper, but you need to have really precise timing on it or you'll get killed by the AOE followup. It's not worth the risk, trust me. Just tell your warrior to back off, and also not to use butcher's block when it's time for the swap. It's more of a dps loss for DRKs to do their enmity combo than it is for WARs to not do theirs.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

vOv posted:

If I remember correctly the phrase 'honest healer' was originally from some OF post. I know that the idea of 'respecting the content' by doing one pull at a time came from there.

It came from my Kelly edit, where I changed "honest folks" to "honest healers".

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Getting back on my 60 Miner... does stuff from 2* and 3* nodes sell anymore or should I not bother with legendaries until I can hit 4*?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ciaphas posted:

Getting back on my 60 Miner... does stuff from 2* and 3* nodes sell anymore or should I not bother with legendaries until I can hit 4*?

They still sell.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I don't have any crafter leveled. Are old legendary mats still part of current recipes or are people still making old gear for some reason?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Ciaphas posted:

I don't have any crafter leveled. Are old legendary mats still part of current recipes or are people still making old gear for some reason?

Pretty Princess Dressup is the real endgame as always.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh yeah, always forget about good old glamour :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Almost all of the new crafted items require 3* ARR items in some capacity.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

To be honest, I'd love it if the gear treadmill was replaced by the glamour treadmill, maybe alongside a Guild Wars 1 style trophy room.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Using holmgang for the line buster sounds like a good idea on paper, but you need to have really precise timing on it or you'll get killed by the AOE followup. It's not worth the risk, trust me. Just tell your warrior to back off, and also not to use butcher's block when it's time for the swap. It's more of a dps loss for DRKs to do their enmity combo than it is for WARs to not do theirs.

Believe it or don't, Holmgang timing hasn't been a problem for us since we started doing it when we were learning. The first time we tried it voice comm broke down laughing because he was a hair away from dying from the AoE, but he's tightened up since then.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

To be honest, I'd love it if the gear treadmill was replaced by the glamour treadmill, maybe alongside a Guild Wars 1 style trophy room.

Nah.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It would help from an inventory standpoint if you could put everything in the armoire or they created a similar system for unlocking glamours.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Are there any fish from 1-60 that are reliable sources of gil, even if not super valuable?

shas
Jul 27, 2011

Sharks for oil, maybe?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Moldy Taxes posted:

Believe it or don't, Holmgang timing hasn't been a problem for us since we started doing it when we were learning. The first time we tried it voice comm broke down laughing because he was a hair away from dying from the AoE, but he's tightened up since then.

I don't believe it. I lost a million gil bet with my cotank who thought it couldn't be done.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Overmelding a grade 3 materia worth 20k, with an 11% chance: 31 failues before success
Overmelding a grade 2 materia worth 1k, with an 8% chance of success: 2 failures before success

:argh:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
By the way, where's all the 2 star gathers, my gathering log only lists 1 and 3 star materials for some reason.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

they skipped 2star in this expansion for some mysterious reason

(real answer is that they're in diadem, but that shithole doesn't exist)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What's the best way to grind new synergies for squadron members? Do higher level missions have a better chance of giving them or ones with affinity or something? I figure now that I'm all ranked up I should get my team making GBS threads out materia.

(ilifin I guess you're the one to ask)

• Locked thread