Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

Sort of posted earlier about this. I'm at turn 250 on Prince as France going for Culture. All 8 civs are still around and I'm winning with 323 points to the next at 248. Just barely leading science and running away with culture.

There doesn't seem to be anything to do now. I'm just mindlessly clicking next buildings to make. I'm friendly with America, but not FRIENDS. Everyone else is unfriendly or denounced, so there's nothing to do diplomatically. France is good with spies, but they keep getting caught and there's no science to steal anyway. What should I be doing?

Maintaining a decent army to fend off any attacks until you win, and then considering upping the difficulty level.

Also, I have a spy with a promoted ability to recruit partisans but I've never seen the option to do that and of course there's nothing in the civpedia. Anyone know how that works?

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

This is my first Civ game.

Having a lot of fun but I'm just kinda dicking around building and researching things without knowing much about them. Am I going to screw myself down the road? What's the best way to start out?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Sort of posted earlier about this. I'm at turn 250 on Prince as France going for Culture. All 8 civs are still around and I'm winning with 323 points to the next at 248. Just barely leading science and running away with culture.

There doesn't seem to be anything to do now. I'm just mindlessly clicking next buildings to make. I'm friendly with America, but not FRIENDS. Everyone else is unfriendly or denounced, so there's nothing to do diplomatically. France is good with spies, but they keep getting caught and there's no science to steal anyway. What should I be doing?

That's honestly been a major issue in every Civ, and probably every 4x game. That point where it is obvious you are going to win, but need to spend a bunch of time actually winning is definitely a downside to the genre. I don't know if it really is possible to fix it. I do sort of miss the environmentalism of certain earlier Civ games, where you would spend time building mass transit, recycling centres, and using workers to reduce pollution. Sure, it was make-work and could be annoying, but it made you feel like you were doing something good while your science victory ticked over.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Yaws posted:

Having a lot of fun but I'm just kinda dicking around building and researching things without knowing much about them. Am I going to screw myself down the road? What's the best way to start out?

I still don't know, but I've played 2 short games and 2 long games each of my games gets a little smoother than the last. Some might disagree with me, but I really think the secret is to go hard on builders in the early game, develop ALL of your cities' tiles, then gradually replace them with districts as time goes on. I spend my first few games only developing resources instead of building mines/farms/lumber mills, and I really think that just leads to way too slow of an early game.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

quadrophrenic posted:

What's the state of religion looking like for you

Was in the exact same spot as you in my France game, I built Mont St. Michel and just started suiciding apostles during my downtime. That won me the game because I'd picked cathedrals as one of my reform beliefs

If you can't do that, keep on teching up. The next big tourism surge will probably come when you unlock archaeology, then it's game shortly after that

That was a neat game, I stumbled on an actual strategy and I completely didn't intend to

Eta: also, remember that spies don't steal techs, they generate eurekas. You should definitely be keeping your spies in enemy campuses at all times, because the late game tech/civic disparity is so egregious it's really loving hard to come across late game eurekas the regular way

I never founded a religion and I've just let the others tell me about their gods. I got archaeologists a bit a go, but have only filled one museum and the 2nd guy is being produced now.

For the spies, do I still do the steal research option for the eurekas?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Earlyish in my game, around the 1400s, Teddy Roosevelt declared war on me out of nowhere. He was on another continent and I got two little videos. One was him telling me I was poo poo, then it was myself also declaring war on me.
Then it told me Carthage, a city state I have never met, was at war with me.

400 years and 400 turns later I meet China who instantly offers me peace. I guess I've been at war with them but unable to see them ever since?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

France probably isn't the strongest civ, but man is it great to siphon funds so early without any opposition and get faster production on all the wonders that give policy slots.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

KingKapalone posted:

I never founded a religion and I've just let the others tell me about their gods. I got archaeologists a bit a go, but have only filled one museum and the 2nd guy is being produced now.

For the spies, do I still do the steal research option for the eurekas?

Yes. You're actually stealing "research power" from their campuses, not technology itself. Honestly it's worth it to do the "be better for 8 turns" mission because the steal research mission is that good. Do that a few times, then your spies will get some levels and you can keep them generating boosts full time. Like a weirdly nefarious study abroad program.

Also, check if you can build cathedrals from one of those foreign religions. Relics are a massive source of tourism. Also, build a national park or two if you can.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 23, 2016

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

Yaws posted:

I played a tonne of Civ V, but this is pretty much what I did for the first 100 turns or so anyway. Didn't really decide on a victory path until about mid game ish, so it's definitely doable (depending on difficulty level I guess).

That said, I ended up getting a science victory on turn 497, kinda underestimated how long it'd take to build all the space stuff. By the end I was pumping everything into production, including chopping down rainforests. Gotta remember to start building that stuff earlier!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I think for my next game I want to play a conquering type of civ and I want to do more aggressive exploring and expanding. Being totalitarian and that kind of stuff sounds interesting. Any recommended civ as well as map type/size? Maybe any tips you've found fun too. Throwing in some fanatic religion might be good too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Been playing on Prince difficulty and this is definitely way easier than the equivalent on Civ V. I've always just picked a vague strategy and built up at mostly random in that direction, but the AI doesn't seem to be stopping or trying to outpace me at the moment. At this point of Civ V I felt completely, totally hosed from every angle.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Bluff Buster posted:

France probably isn't the strongest civ, but man is it great to siphon funds so early without any opposition and get faster production on all the wonders that give policy slots.

I just finished a game with her (standard, Pangaea, religious victory) and I'd agree that her bonuses, while not as snowbally as Aztecs or Gilgamesh or not as plain broken as Scythia, felt balanced and 'nifty', for lack of a better word. The Garde Imperiale are pretty terrifying - they have +5 combat strength on Infantry, which is an era later, when fighting on their own continent. Likewise I think if you stack the appropriate civic, the bonus from being suzerain to Brussels, and France's UA than you can get a 50% reduction in production cost for three eras's of wonders. Which is pretty boss.

The Chateau is almost worthless, coming far too late into the civic tree for the potential +3 culture +1 gold to matter, and even then a river spot next to a wonder is probably a primo spot for a theater district anyways, so the times I felt it was appropriate to place one were basically nil.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The game is really making me change how i play civ; i'd never bother with walls unless I had a city that was there for defense, or i had a zillion gold and tons of production just sitting there; not chopping down every tree I see and putting in farms and mines everywhere.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

Been playing on Prince difficulty and this is definitely way easier than the equivalent on Civ V. I've always just picked a vague strategy and built up at mostly random in that direction, but the AI doesn't seem to be stopping or trying to outpace me at the moment. At this point of Civ V I felt completely, totally hosed from every angle.

Civ always seems to get a bit easier with each iteration on a given difficulty since 4. For example, the emperor difficulty

Civ4: I lose more than I win even if I try
Civ5: Gotta pay attention to win, but hard to lose unless I get bored and stop trying
Civ6: Feels like "normal" difficulty, I.E a little too easy

The only difference is how many trash units the AI can poo poo out to die to my prepared defenses. So the opportunity cost for war is greatly increased simply because of the additional turns spent murdering helpless AI units that flail around while being shot to death

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

I think for my next game I want to play a conquering type of civ and I want to do more aggressive exploring and expanding. Being totalitarian and that kind of stuff sounds interesting. Any recommended civ as well as map type/size? Maybe any tips you've found fun too. Throwing in some fanatic religion might be good too.

Aztec - Build military instead of infrastructure, reap rewards, then later, build units instead of districts. You can realistically end up with a massive empire of well populated cities
Scythia - :horse:
Norway - You know how other people build improvements and stuff? Raid the poo poo out of it with your boats and boatmen. Pillaging is really good in this game.
Gilgamesh - Barbarians are now good. Also, later in the game, you have a unique Casus Belli that lets you make war without a lot of fuss, but I've yet to play as them so IDK how it works.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
The real problem with Catherine as a leader is I automatically think Russia.

KingKapalone posted:

Pick Gorgo and flex your delts while quoting 300.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Taear posted:

400 years and 400 turns later I meet China who instantly offers me peace. I guess I've been at war with them but unable to see them ever since?

If a civ you've never met declares war on you, it displays as your own leader instead for some reason.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
A corp has 10 more strength, which essentially makes it a full tech tier ahead. That much power is the difference between a close battle and a curb stomp. The early game bonus against barbarians that makes them stupid easy is +5 and this is twice as much as that. If you're attacking twice with evenly matched units instead of turning them into corps, you're just being stupid, since you probably did less damage and took more damage. If you already have the tech advantage then it doesn't really matter though.

Ultimately, the corp system is a way to turn an economic advantage (dump more production into your units: you can actually build the corp units directly for an increased cost) into a fair match against someone with a tech advantage. On the other hand, if you have an economic advantage, you probably also have a tech advantage and vice versa.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I really wish I could see at a glance on the map what my districts and wonders were producing. What the gently caress were they thinking.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me or is everyone running into housing issues mid game? Im resorting to buying tiles instead of normal expansion just so i can build farms. Is that working as intended or are my borders just terrible?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

quadrophrenic posted:

well, now i'm thinking about this

i mean my point ultimately is that wars in 4x games are never about armies vs. armies, they're about economies vs economies. and if your enemy has the capacity to make 12 corps, they also have the capacity to make 24 units, and if you find the former insurmountable you'll also find the latter just as insurmountable

i was gonna type "ofc 12 corps is better than 24 units", but now that i think about it, i'm not really sure if that's true

12 corps:

+stronger front line, w/ ability to pierce through lines
+more kills possibly means faster acquisition of deeper promotions
-twice as much economic cost per tile defended

24 units:

+easier to get flanking bonuses, protect your ranged units, etc
+in a trench situation with 2 big straight lines pushing against each other, you can swap out damaged units on the front line, which leads to:
+more efficient healing
-weaker front line, less ability to push

Early Corps you have to sacrifice a unit, but late corps you can build directly and they don't seem to cost 2x the price of one unit. More like 30% more, which makes them much more appealing.

quadrophrenic posted:

OH you know one thing i just remembered because i never actually did it in my game, but actually this changes my mind about the whole thing:

you can directly produce corps and armies from cities. and the production cost didn't actually seem that much higher. i think towards the end of my game it was like 8 turns to mech infantry and 10 turns to a mech inf corps

so uh, nevermind

Yep.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 23, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Doredrin posted:

I know food is not everything in 6, but look at this starting location:

Food isn't everything anymore but that's an amazing starting location. You'll get huge bonuses from your Commercial Hub and certain wonders. Get that Water Mill asap.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a list of all adjacency bonuses for districts?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

quadrophrenic posted:

Yes. You're actually stealing "research power" from their campuses, not technology itself. Honestly it's worth it to do the "be better for 8 turns" mission because the steal research mission is that good. Do that a few times, then your spies will get some levels and you can keep them generating boosts full time. Like a weirdly nefarious study abroad program.

Yeah, this is an innovation brought over from Beyond Earth. And part of what let ARC and Chungsu break the game because of their spying bonuses. Space Americans and Space Koreans, stealing everyone's research for fun and profit.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jastiger posted:

Is there a list of all adjacency bonuses for districts?

Better than that:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Autonomous Monster posted:

Better than that:

That's really impressive. I didn't realise that over a river gave such a huge boost for commercial districts/the capital.

Does the game expect you to buy tiles? Because the map sure does get bitty in the late game.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Oops, beaten on posting the district cheat sheet.

I wonder if Firaxis will overcorrect on the first balance/bugfix patch, after several games I don't really have problems with production anymore but there's still a lot of outcry about it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Awesome thanks

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
is there a way to restart a map if you don't have autosave turn 0?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Taear posted:

Does the game expect you to buy tiles? Because the map sure does get bitty in the late game.

IDK if it's what the game "expects" but I've been buying a lot of tiles.

I suspect that culture focused civs don't

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Better than that:

If someone could add the Wonder restrictions to this that would be great.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
e: nm

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

KingKapalone posted:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Gilgamesh - Barbarians are now good. Also, later in the game, you have a unique Casus Belli that lets you make war without a lot of fuss, but I've yet to play as them so IDK how it works.

Just started a new game as Gilgamesh and his war carts are amazing, you get them right from the start. Great for clearing barbarians (which give you a village bonus as Gilgamesh), and I've just wiped out Spain with just 2 war carts, an archer, and a warrior.

Also just throwing out there that Fractal can result in some pretty cool maps. I started on a decent sized land mass with just me and Spain, and China are on a separate (but connected) bit of land. There's a mountain range with a single pass separating us.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I miss the world congress giving me a reason to care about people who aren't my neighbors even a little bit.

I am probably going to meet 5 of the 8 players in this game via satellites, Scythia boxed me in pretty well but I've always made sure to be a less appealing target than her other neighbors so she never declared.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Accidentally got a culture victory whilst hitting 'next turn' over and over in pursuit of science projects. :unsmith:

Games good. I'll probably play again in six months or so.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Grand Fromage posted:

Even by Civ standards the diplomacy makes zero sense at all. Everyone is needlessly hostile, they have negatives for no reason, they have negatives with me for things I never did. Scythia's agenda is hating backstabbers and she backstabs me within five turns of contacting me. I literally don't even know where her civ is I think it's across the ocean somewhere.

I like it but there's definitely some of those "how did no one notice this?" issues.
I'm playing on low difficulty to figure out the game and I've just started my third war. All three involve two civs declaring war on me at once. The previous two ended when I made peace after killing only one unit or not even killing any the second time.

I don't know what's going on but this is turning me off from the game quickly.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else been messing around with modding? I'm still trying to figure out what's necessary for what. At least it doesn't require editing the base game files.

This is what I've been messing with for anybody who's curious https://mega.nz/#!qMxElbgL!g-Qk7JS8olu9wrr6QPBbIM0ijglzfgRhULVY2jiXgSk
Mods are subfolders in the DLC folder in your main installation, at least right now. I can get it to be enabled, but it doesn't do anything atm.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 23, 2016

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Taear posted:

That's really impressive. I didn't realise that over a river gave such a huge boost for commercial districts/the capital.

Keep in mind that the boost for commercial districts is not per adjacent river border, just a check that you have one. And buying tiles is very expected, unless you get Theatre Squares everywhere. Coming from Civ V, border growth feels a lot slower, but that's likely mostly because Tradition was the default Social tree, and it gave faster border growth as a bonus. With that gone, buying tiles is very important.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's a fun non-military based Civ to play in this game?

Played Rome/Trajan and quit after achieving a huge score lead after steamrolling a couple civs with Legions. There was little to no challenge left in seeing the game out. Keen to try something different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Is there a new good civ group for 6, or is it still just the original one for 5? The one for 5 hasn't been touched in a while so I wanted to see if there was a new one or if it was just fairly defunct.