Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Gully Foyle posted:

Keep in mind that the boost for commercial districts is not per adjacent river border, just a check that you have one.

It's per adjacent river: if you can get lucky and find a spot in between two separate rivers then both rivers will count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Staltran posted:

Oh yeah the later encampment buildings give +25% to "corps training" or something? I actually weren't sure what that did and never bothered to find out
e: Armory says "faster corps and army training", doesn't mention how much faster

Holy poo poo. I didn't realize this. That changes things.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Won a science victory with Saladin. Didn't spread my religion much, mostly used it to enable my awesome religious buildings and to buy stuff with Jesuit Education (which I'm torn on versus Religious Community; former is really nice but requires saving up tons of Faith, while the latter really, really helps mitigate Housing being a pain in the rear end but the moment you get Neighborhoods your housing problems are over forever; those and Work Ethic definitely look like the top three Follower Beliefs, though). Would have gotten through the whole game without a war, but Trajan kept sending Apostles at me in the final turns so I used a nuke I built earlier for the hell of it on Rome the turn before I blasted off into space and won. Also got the Legends of the Hidden Temple achievement because La Venta happened to be in the game so I went for becoming their suzerain after I got ahead and could just spit out envoys so much faster than the opposition.

Game kind of dragged towards the end, but only because I managed to be left alone while I built my rockets, and it took longer than necessary because I kind of messed up my capital's Production capabilities by, ironically, telling it to focus Production; apparently it did so at the expense of Growth, and by the end despite being my first city and having Ruhr Valley it had the least population and Production of all my cities. Whoops. Will keep that in mind going forward.

Going to try a non-Saladin person now. Maybe up the difficulty and try Barbarossa, since he's quite a badass and all. Not sure.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Couple of thoughts after finishing a second game.

- The Spy mechanics are really awesome and I wish the Spy system came into the game at a much earlier tech level. Maybe call them "Saboteur's" and you get them in the Classical era or something and then they get obsoleted by Spy in the modern era.

- In the later eras you also get a ton if different options for declaring war that decrease your warmongering penalty. These options are clustered really close together tech-wise. I feel these options should be spread out much more and come much earlier. Additionally the diplomatic options for becoming allies, etc. should come earlier than they do.

- I think its fine and fair that you lose your own religion if all your cities get converted. However, there should be at least one 'get out of jail' free mechanic. For example, maybe if you have X amount of faith saved up you can spend it to reconvert a city back to your own religion. The cost could be astronomical to prevent multiple uses.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Civ always seems to get a bit easier with each iteration on a given difficulty since 4. For example, the emperor difficulty

Civ4: I lose more than I win even if I try
Civ5: Gotta pay attention to win, but hard to lose unless I get bored and stop trying
Civ6: Feels like "normal" difficulty, I.E a little too easy

The only difference is how many trash units the AI can poo poo out to die to my prepared defenses. So the opportunity cost for war is greatly increased simply because of the additional turns spent murdering helpless AI units that flail around while being shot to death

Maybe you've just gotten better at turn-based strategy over the past decade?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PirateBob posted:

What's a fun non-military based Civ to play in this game?

Played Rome/Trajan and quit after achieving a huge score lead after steamrolling a couple civs with Legions. There was little to no challenge left in seeing the game out. Keen to try something different.

I've gone with Egypt for my first game, and it works really well if you want to build up but also stay flexible. You get mad money from international trade*, extra production for anything next to a river, and have the option for a decent bit of faith production with sphinxes. And if you do get drawn into war early on, their chariots are really drat good and should help you through antiquity.

*Case in point:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Civ4 is still really hard.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Weird, I can't build Frigates even though I have Privateers and Caravels. I've already researched Square Rigging. Do Privateers replace Frigates? The civilopedia doesn't seem to suggest so but...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like the trading system in principal in this game, but I feel like it should develop or automate somewhat in the later game. It eventually reaches a point where you're refreshing routes so often and the list of cities is so big that you can barely be bothered to look through them properly.

Maybe if you could upgrade them so they can automatically go to the highest product/culture/science/all rounder destination until told otherwise?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Another point I forgot to mention.

Pretty sure Eurekas are too powerful. I think they should be like Wonders. First Civ to accomplish the boost for an Eureka gets it, everyone else is stuck researching the full thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

xgalaxy posted:

Pretty sure Eurekas are too powerful. I think they should be like Wonders. First Civ to accomplish the boost for an Eureka gets it, everyone else is stuck researching the full thing.

That is a terrible idea and I should not need to explain why.

Snowballing is already a huge thing in Civ. We do not need it to be more of a thing.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Perestroika posted:

I've gone with Egypt for my first game, and it works really well if you want to build up but also stay flexible. You get mad money from international trade*, extra production for anything next to a river, and have the option for a decent bit of faith production with sphinxes. And if you do get drawn into war early on, their chariots are really drat good and should help you through antiquity.

*Case in point:

Yeah, seems like Egypt and perhaps China are good options for tall empires. I've had a look through and there doesn't seem to be a single Civ that's outright science based like Babylon and Korea were in Civ V.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

PirateBob posted:

Yeah, seems like Egypt and perhaps China are good options for tall empires. I've had a look through and there doesn't seem to be a single Civ that's outright science based like Babylon and Korea were in Civ V.

Those two were DLC so hopefully one like those is coming in the upcoming packs.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

xgalaxy posted:

If anything it should be the other way around. Civs that don't have a tech yet should be inspired by their betters and play catch-up.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is there a "resource search" feature? Poring over every last bit of the map trying to find Oil or Coal is getting annoying.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
so what is your strategy for playing this game beyond 40 turns before getting bored and restarting

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there no way to tell when and where a city's cultural borders will expand??

Also, is +3 the maximum adjacency bonus for research (or other things), ever?

I've got a spot for a campus surrounded by 3 mountains and 1 rainforest but only getting +3 :(

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Normal Adult Human posted:

so what is your strategy for playing this game beyond 40 turns before getting bored and restarting

I dont think 4x games are for you

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

PirateBob posted:

Is there no way to tell when and where a city's cultural borders will expand??

Also, is +3 the maximum adjacency bonus for research (or other things), ever?

I've got a spot for a campus surrounded by 3 mountains and 1 rainforest but only getting +3 :(

Rainforests only count for half. The maximum Campus adjacency bonus is theoretically +6 if you can find a spot in the middle of a ring of mountains, but good luck with that. There are policies to double the adjacency bonuses.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Someone posted earlier about a lack of unit list. If you select a unit, then click it's name a pop-up menu will show all your units, although I don't have the game handy right now so I can't tell you if it shows if they're sleeping or whatever.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

LegoMan posted:

Someone posted earlier about a lack of unit list. If you select a unit, then click it's name a pop-up menu will show all your units, although I don't have the game handy right now so I can't tell you if it shows if they're sleeping or whatever.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
One thing i do wish it did was indicate whether a resource was improved or not. When the screen gets busy, it csn be tough to see if I do have a farm there or not

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I really haven't.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
thanks, although that's not to say the game doesn't have flaws. It's really hard to distinguish districts for me, and if there's a wonder I should be able to hover over it to see exactly what it does.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

twistedmentat posted:

The game is really making me change how i play civ; i'd never bother with walls unless I had a city that was there for defense, or i had a zillion gold and tons of production just sitting there; not chopping down every tree I see and putting in farms and mines everywhere.

Early walls and/or archers are pretty much a necessity per city, I've found.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I have a holy site with a shrine, temple, and mosque, and for some reason I've lost the ability to produce Apostles or Missionaries in that city after starting construction on the mosque. Is that on purpose? Do I need to destory the mosque to produce them again? The district is not damaged.

Edit: Can only one city produce missionaries and apostles? Both my capital and one side city have a temple district. I decided to specialize the side city, and built a shrine, temple, and a mosque. For a while I could produce missionaries and apostles from both cities, but then I temporarily lost the ability to produce both, and now I can only produce missionaries in my main city, and no religious units at all in the side cities. What the hell?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 23, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Megasabin posted:

I have a holy site with a shrine, temple, and mosque, and for some reason I've lost the ability to produce Apostles or Missionaries in that city after starting construction on the mosque. Is that on purpose? Do I need to destory the mosque to produce them again? The district is not damaged.

Edit: Can only one city produce missionaries and apostles? Both my capital and one side city have a temple district. I decided to specialize the side city, and built a shrine, temple, and a mosque. For a while I could produce missionaries and apostles from both cities, but then I temporarily lost the ability to produce both, and now I can only produce missionaries. What the hell.

Just checking, but are you sure your cities aren't being converted to another religion?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

No, I think he's pretty much right. I played a bit of Civ 4 last year and found it incredibly hard relative to 5, and probably relative to 6 too.

Part of the issue is that stacks (and this is the one good thing about them imo) make war an exercise in pure industrial output. The AI doesn't have to be good at moving its stacks around, because a bigger stack of more advanced units will gently caress you up. You still have a few tactical options, but for the most part you're going to lose if the AI is able to drastically outproduce you. Meanwhile, the tactical AI in Civ 5/6 tends to be so pants-on-head idiotic that it's easy to win wars even as a serious underdog.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Brannock posted:

Just checking, but are you sure your cities aren't being converted to another religion?

My cities have 2 protestant followers, but 8 catholic followers. If they have any followers of another religion at all do I lose the ability to produve apostles?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
I've been playing on Emperor and I find it incredibly annoying that you can't declare war from the unit movement interface anymore. You have to meet the civilization and send a formal declaration of surprise war. So many times I've found an extra settler wandering around by itself, and I can't capture it even with an adjacent warrior. The only hope is to explore in pairs, and have a scout to try to track down their capital to meet them before capturing the settler.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good, in-depth guides out there for people who are hilariously bad at these games (single player)?

Even on the easiest difficulties I find it really hard to figure out what to focus on and it always ends up with my neighboring civs taking all the land, building all the wonders and somehow also keep an army 5x bigger than mine in the first rounds and I feel like I only win because you basically can't lose on Settler/Chieftain. :( I've still spent a ton of time playing Civ V and probably will spend a bunch on this one too (so far I already like it more than Civ V) but it feels kinda embarrassing to be this bad.

Also is it just me or are barbarians terrifying in this game compared to Civ V?

e:another question; what's the deal with continents? I started on one now and it immediately told me I had discovered a new continent. Apparently the landmass I started on was somehow two continents, my capital on the border of the two?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 23, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

What's the deal with the "cede city" option in peace deals? I had heard it removed the diplo penalty for holding someone elses city but the AI still denounces me every 30 turns when I hold his cities even after ceding. I just had a war where I accidentally didn't get him to cede his city to me in the peace deal (the option for "what do you do with the city?" had appeared just as he came to negotiate peace, so ceding it wasn't an option) and after the war the city was marked as "occupied" and refused to grow, even though I was at peace with him. He refused to cede the city later, so I ended up having to declare war on him again just to get him to cede the drat city I'd already conquered. Surely that's not how it's meant to work? It's insane.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Pro tip: don't press escape to skip the drawn out leader cutscenes (takes far too long :mad: ) when they might offer you a delegation or it seems you'll turn it down by default :doh:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I just had Kongo bitch me out for having a barbarian encampment near my borders... right before the encampment in question spawned.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Your Computer posted:

e:another question; what's the deal with continents? I started on one now and it immediately told me I had discovered a new continent. Apparently the landmass I started on was somehow two continents, my capital on the border of the two?

Ever notice that Europe and Asia are the same landmass? Technically Africa too, if you don't count the Suez.

Afroeurasia is my favorite continent.

e: Basically in the real world the word "continent" doesn't really mean loving anything and Civ 6 just kinda says "ok medium landmasses are 1 continent, big landmasses can be 2, collections of islands are all the same continent"

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Oh and I wanted to mention earlier about the corps thing, Clarste had it right about just how much stronger they are than base units, but even if you discount that, there is one situation where corps are much better: Defensive Wars. Both because space is at a premium when you're surrounded, and also because stronger units are MUCH more likely survive a combined onslaught, which is a huge deal.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Okay so I don't wanna sound like a dick by asking this but: How do you pronounce the leader of Kongo's name?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Geight posted:

Okay so I don't wanna sound like a dick by asking this but: How do you pronounce the leader of Kongo's name?

Me-vem-ba a ne-zin-gah I think

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Geight posted:

Aw-fon-su

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Huh I've been pronouncing it "Tee-dus"