Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Serf posted:

From my point of view, blowing up planets is savage behavior.

Deffo not gonna argue this one. Tarkin is not a good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's the question of normativity but let's not have this conversation.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the ewoks are basically the 'savage pygmy tribe' trope except as teddy bears, which makes them at minimum as racist as anything in tpm

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

euphronius posted:

Ewoks weren't eating ewoks.

Han, Luke, Leia and Chewie enjoying Ewok kabob after blowing up the second death star would be really messed up.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The Ewoks also had a bunch of weapons ready to go outside the back door of the bunker, so they probably were planning their feast of aliens in revenge for Imperial activities.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just because Ewoks are savage doesn't mean they can't be noble. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_savage

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Serf posted:

From my point of view, blowing up planets is savage behavior.

So both groups are savage.

Another win for the star wars thread!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

So both groups are savage.

Another win for the star wars thread!

Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru are savages. From a certain point of view.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Page 666 approaches...

Has Satan been found within the Star Wars yet?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

Page 666 approaches...

he was in mos eisley cantina it's no big.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

UmOk posted:

Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru are savages. From a certain point of view.

Is there some back story with them being violent that I'm unaware of?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I am sincerely learning a lot from this thread. I didn't know savage had immediate racist connotations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

I've long maintained that everything that takes place on the Death Star II is as good as most stuff in Empire.

I thought McDiarmid was awful in Jedi. He was more like a snotty troll than a master of evil. I think the best line I heard about his performance and the script was that he was like an older father telling his college student son that it was inevitable that he'd grow up to be a Republican. All of this made how great he was in the prequels shocking.

In the prequels, he's a guy who is seeing 1000 years of scheming and planning coming to fruition and he's in ecstasy. In Jedi he's more, "Nyah nyah nyah." Then there's the awful lightsaber choreography made all the worse by how it was shot. Even little things like Luke doing that dramatic jump and force grab of his lightsaber when he's standing like two feet away; still makes me laugh every time I see it.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Raxivace posted:

Page 666 approaches...

Meesa coming back!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Filthy Casual posted:

Commanding C3PO to pose as one of their deities. There's definitely worse ways to avoid being eaten, but that leads into the question of why the first primitive society depicted in SW has an overwhelming need to eat other sentient beings. Just rubs me the wrong way, especially when they make a point of subverting expectations like that in other entries (see: Gungans).

I thought them being vicious teddy bears was the subversion?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ungulateman posted:

the ewoks are basically the 'savage pygmy tribe' trope except as teddy bears, which makes them at minimum as heightist as anything in tpm

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Filthy Casual posted:

Commanding C3PO to pose as one of their deities. There's definitely worse ways to avoid being eaten, but that leads into the question of why the first primitive society depicted in SW has an overwhelming need to eat other sentient beings. Just rubs me the wrong way, especially when they make a point of subverting expectations like that in other entries (see: Gungans).

Well, it's just one of those tropes you find in these sorts of stories. Remember that Lucas was raised on stuff like Edgar Rice Burroughs stories and Scrooge McDuck comics, which had much worse stuff. I guess it's probably not worth getting into an argument about how much of a remove you have to be from the earnestness with which those tropes were employed in the past before you can homage them, or if you're even allowed to homage them in any way.

But as for C-3PO "posing" as one of their deities....who are we to say he was even posing? It's ultimately a matter of semantics. The Ewoks themselves recognized him as their deity. I'm sure if the characters were to say to the Ewoks, "No, C-3PO is actually just an artificial man which we constructed out of metal", the Ewoks would just stare at them blankly and say, "....So? He's our god."

Raxivace posted:

Page 666 approaches...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Saesee_Tiin

His buddies call him Sae, and he's infiltrated the Jedi Council.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 23, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

rear end Catchcum posted:

I am sincerely learning a lot from this thread. I didn't know savage had immediate racist connotations.

It doesn't - people are idiots.

NOTHING MEANS NOTHING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

But as for C-3PO "posing" as one of their deities....who are we to say he was even posing? It's ultimately a matter of semantics. The Ewoks themselves recognized him as their deity. I'm sure if the characters were to say to the Ewoks, "No, C-3PO is actually just an artificial man which we constructed out of metal", the Ewoks would just stare at them blankly and say, "....So? He's our god."

Or they'd brand them deceivers and eat them with more fervor. Then 3PO and R2 would form more impressive percussion instruments than even the Imperial helmets. There were options to do a lot of stuff with that section of the story, so its fair to ask why it needed to be this thing, specifically.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Stay woke

ungulateman posted:

the ewoks are basically the 'savage pygmy tribe' trope except as teddy bears, which makes them at minimum as racist as anything in tpm

Bingo.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Vintersorg posted:

It doesn't - people are idiots.

NOTHING MEANS NOTHING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q

The word "savage" by itself isn't racist, but let's not pretend that wasn't (and still is) used to insult Non-Western, nonwhite societies that are considered "uncivilized". Not saying that those societies were above criticism, I'm just saying it's a dog-whistle term.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Equeen posted:

The word "savage" by itself isn't racist, but let's not pretend that wasn't (and still is) used to insult Non-Western, nonwhite societies that are considered "uncivilized". Not saying that those societies were above criticism, I'm just saying it's a dog-whistle term.

Is the term barbarian racist too? Asking for a friend.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This makes my head hurt more than Jar Jar talk.

I'm pretty much down with most social arguments. But I really think for most of these things, but don't take words out of context. You all KNOW Jivjov wasn't saying anything racist, or coded, or any of it. Come on.

Like, if I called Bounty Hunters a bunch of thugs, that isn't racist in the slightest. Thug isn't a purely racist term unless put into the context. I mean, it means "a violent criminal" or "ruffian or assassin."

Like come on yo!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

uh yeah the term was pretty much invented as a slur

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

spacetoaster posted:

By itself, no, but in certain contexts it can be.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
'Savage' is exactly like 'female', in that it's usually valid as an adjective but loving dumb when used as a noun

'Barbarian' is fine within the specific context of Conan and Conan-like low fantasy but much like savage shouldn't be applied to real people

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In its original context, the word "barbarian" is literally a disparaging catch-all for members of cultures considered inferior by the speaker. The etymology of the term is onomatopoetic - "bar, bar" is mimicking the sounds sheep make. The idea is that it refers to people whose civilization is so crude that even their language is closer to that of animals than that of people.

Its use denotes the speaker as openly chauvinistic and belonging to a culture that regards such chauvinism as appropriate. Like, it is the racist term.

I'm not sure it qualifies as a slur, however.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 23, 2016

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

ungulateman posted:

'Savage' is exactly like 'female', in that it's usually valid as an adjective but loving dumb when used as a noun

'Barbarian' is fine within the specific context of Conan and Conan-like low fantasy but much like savage shouldn't be applied to real people

Bongo Bill posted:

In its original context, the word "barbarian" is literally a disparaging catch-all for members of cultures considered inferior by the speaker. The etymology of the term is onomatopoetic - "bar, bar" is mimicking the sounds sheep make. The idea is that it refers to people whose civilization is so crude that even their language is closer to that of animals than that of people.

Its use denotes the speaker as openly chauvinistic and belonging to a culture that regards such chauvinism as appropriate.

Yes, these are good posts that better explain what I was trying to say.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In the context, the ewoks are literally an indigenous people.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Reminder that the Ewoks were going to roast Han and Luke alive, presumably to then consume.

Other adjectives aside; it's not a bad thing for them to have come up with a crafty plan to get out of dying, using the Ewok's reverence for C-3PO to buy time

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's important to note that after they were free, C-3PO did end up telling them their real story, in which the golden giant who speaks in languages the whole universe can understand is not a god, and that was what convinced them to join the rebellion.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Some of you are so hatefilled.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Some of you are so hatefilled.

are you calling us the real racists?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

The correct term for Ewoks is target practice.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Star Wars is told by C3PO to the Ewoks right? Ewoks are surrogates.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The ewoks are as racist as Jar Jar.

Re: not at all. That rear end Catchcum feels the need to be offended by one and not the other shows how flawed their argument is.

Ewoks speak in broken English in the ewok movies as well, to further compare them with Jar Jar.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
The Ewoks are about as racist as this classic and beloved Indiana Jones moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LesfFv6xEvA&t=117s

Which is to say, you could probably construct an argument for it if you really wanted to, but at the end of the day no one actually cares because it's harmless and silly and people just want to watch the drat movie without being implicated in a complicated, multigenerational system of oppression that has virtually nothing to do with naive pulp magazine tropes in a 1970s throwback movie.You might as well complain about his greasy, cowardly, backstabbing Peruvian guide Satipo, played by a light-skinned Englishman in brownface named Alfred Molina. Or Indy's token Arab friend Sallah, played as a bumbling comic relief character by a Welshman.

I know, it's easy to say, "Well, people should care about those things," but no one actually does and no one probably ever will, and the reason isn't because people are racist, but because people by and large are smart enough to understand the context these things are being presented in, i.e. as naive homages to pulp stories, comic books, and adventure serials of the 1930-40's. People only miraculously start to notice and care about these things when they're in a movie they have a bone to pick with for other reasons.

If you want to watch a more culturally sensitive depiction of a white man encountering indigenous peoples, watch the Young Indiana Jones series or something, which was actually meant to be somewhat reality-based and educational.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 24, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I did like how one of the final episodes of Young Indy had him fight straight up Dracula.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Equeen posted:

By itself, no, but in certain contexts it can be.

Oh yeah? Have you ever had to deal with the Celts?

Sheesh.

I wonder why the artist made them all out as Guy Fieri.

Pretty savage stuff. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked Young Indiana Jones as a kid. It had Picasso faking a painting to show he could and Indy fighting at Verdun and poo poo like that.

• Locked thread