Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhyno posted:

:shrug: Well he's still a lovely director.

I disagree but you can't just shrug off how important his influence was on the tone of that movie and the fact it even exists with "lol well he sucks"

The fact that the split is because Reynolds wants to lean harder into the raunchy comedy is especially worrying since that movie pretty much only works because of the dick jokes being balanced out with other stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Changing the tone would be stupid financially, Deadpool made its money appealing to just the worst people and that's what they want.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 23, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Deadpool's one of the funniest fuckin flicks of the last few years but it's ugly as hell and full of poorly composed shots and lovely backgrounds.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

How much if that was the laughably small budget though?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The funniest parts of Deadpool were the 4th wall breaking and commentary.

Most of the "raunchy" humor was cringe-worthy. "You wore the brown pants!" "Holy poo poo gently caress bastards!"

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

site posted:

I think we should blow things wildly out of proportion like the 5sec cw airport clip that was derided as the worst thing ever put to mcu film but was universally loved when they saw the actual scene

Is now a good time to mention that I didn't like that scene at all really?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

qntm posted:

Is now a good time to mention that I didn't like that scene at all really?

What didn't you like about it? It was fun, dynamic, managed to include everyone and showcase their abilities in fun ways with/against each other...they did the beloved Ant Man arrow teamup move. It had goddamn Spider-Man and Captain America punching each other on the big screen!

Also, the music was pretty good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The funniest parts of Deadpool were the 4th wall breaking and commentary.

Most of the "raunchy" humor was cringe-worthy. "You wore the brown pants!" "Holy poo poo gently caress bastards!"

But Deadpool is supposed to be super corny and everyone around him is just going "shut up wade :ughh:"

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

What didn't you like about it? It was fun, dynamic, managed to include everyone and showcase their abilities in fun ways with/against each other...they did the beloved Ant Man arrow teamup move. It had goddamn Spider-Man and Captain America punching each other on the big screen!

Also, the music was pretty good.

It went on too long, and it didn't feel as if anybody was actually making any progress towards taking out anybody else. It was just punching and punching until eventually it was time for somebody to win. And Spider-Man didn't quip enough. In fact, I don't think he quipped once in the entire film.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

qntm posted:

It went on too long, and it didn't feel as if anybody was actually making any progress towards taking out anybody else. It was just punching and punching until eventually it was time for somebody to win. And Spider-Man didn't quip enough. In fact, I don't think he quipped once in the entire film.

... Did, uh, did you watch Civil War and not one of the Raimi Spider-Man films or something? Falcon even literally has a line of dialogue telling Spider-Man people don't usually talk so much during a fight.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

qntm posted:

I think you watched your own special version of the movie or something.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/doctor-strange-review-marvel-studios-1201895862/

Peter Debruge, Chief Film Critic for Variety posted:

Cut from the same mold as playboys Tony Stark (Iron Man) and Bruce Wayne (Batman), Strange easily might have become world’s most insufferable superhero. But instead, it’s the very fact of this deeply insecure and wildly overcompensating character’s determination to prove himself — coupled with the setback by which texting while driving cripples his hands and very nearly derails him of that ambition — that makes “Doctor Strange” Marvel’s most satisfying entry since “Spider-Man 2,” and a throwback to M. Night Shyamalan’s soul-searching identity-crisis epic “Unbreakable,” which remains the gold standard for thinking people’s superhero movies.

Oh gently caress you

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

... Did, uh, did you watch Civil War and not one of the Raimi Spider-Man films or something? Falcon even literally has a line of dialogue telling Spider-Man people don't usually talk so much during a fight.

Okay, so, what's his quip?

mikeraskol posted:

I think you watched your own special version of the movie or something.

Well, so did you. That's subjectivity for you!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

qntm posted:

Okay, so, what's his quip?

"You guys ever see Empire Strikes back?" for one. Unless you're going to get super-tedious into arguing what a quip is.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What the what now?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Look I'm not saying you're wrong for disliking that opinion, but there are way worse movies with the Marvel name on them than SM2. It's not a completely stupid pick for best Marvel movie, is what I'm saying.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ImpAtom posted:

"You guys ever see Empire Strikes back?" for one. Unless you're going to get super-tedious into arguing what a quip is.

Also, his comments about Bucky's arm and Cap's shield. It was everything I wanted out of Spider-Man swinging his way into the Avengers world.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
None of the lines you're referring to are jokes, or funny. He's an awestruck child, no sense of humour of his own is on display here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

qntm posted:

None of the lines you're referring to are jokes, or funny. He's an awestruck child, no sense of humour of his own is on display here.

So you are in fact going to quibble over what a quip is because it's easier than admitting you were wrong. Gotcha.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
You think Spider-Man is funny in Civil War because you're used to Spider-Man being funny in all of his other portrayals. He's supposed to wisecrack, he's supposed to come up with jokes at the enemy's expense during the fight and use them to make them madder. He's meant to have a sense of humour. But it's not there in the film. The only funny thing he actually says is the remark about Empire being a really old film, and he doesn't say that because he's trying to get a reaction out of anybody, he says it because he's an absolute newbie compared to everybody else in the fight. We laugh at him for being a dumb child - "I didn't carbon date him!" - instead of laughing with him for being smarter than the poor sap he's fighting.

He has this grand entrance where he steals Cap's shield right out his hands, something essentially nobody in the world can do. It's the debut of the real Spider-Man in the MCU, and what's his first line? "Hey, everyone."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Beep boop robot brain cannot process.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

qntm posted:

You think Spider-Man is funny in Civil War because you're used to Spider-Man being funny in all of his other portrayals.

Or... because I thought his quips were funny and you didn't?

(It's particularly lol to go "You only think Spider-Man was funny because he was funny in other things" when I referenced the Sam Raimi films earlier.)

qntm posted:

We laugh at him for being a dumb child - "I didn't carbon date him!" - instead of laughing with him for being smarter than the poor sap he's fighting.

You do know half of Spider-Man's humor is him being a giant annoying dork, right? Like he isn't a comedic genius and both friends and foes consider him annoying and loudmouthed.

This isn't even a "matter of opinion" thing, it is an ongoing point of characterization.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 23, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

qntm posted:

He has this grand entrance where he steals Cap's shield right out his hands, something essentially nobody in the world can do. It's the debut of the real Spider-Man in the MCU, and what's his first line? "Hey, everyone."

Actually he says that after starting an awkward conversation with Tony and telling Cap that he's a big fan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Roth posted:

Actually he says that after starting an awkward conversation with Tony and telling Cap that he's a big fan.

Have we considered that maybe he only saw the trailer?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

qntm posted:

Most everyone was holding back because they didn't really want to fight or hurt anyone. Only a few people were really invested in the fight, and that was Cap, Bucky, Tony, and T'Challa. Wanda says Clint is pulling his punches. Rhodey isn't trying to kill anyone even though he has the arsenal to do so. Most of the fight is just trying to disable or counter the abilities of the other squad. gently caress, at the end Natasha even sees how pointless it is and lets Cap and Bucky go.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
At one point Spidey says "Hey buddy, I think you dropped this." before flinging a giant billboard at Winter Solider.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I did laugh at that early one-two between Falcon (I think) and Black Widow, "Has anybody told you you're paranoid?" "No... why, did you hear something?" And I liked the final fight, because it had a clearer progression and it revealed character through the action.

Codependent Poster posted:

Most everyone was holding back because they didn't really want to fight or hurt anyone. Only a few people were really invested in the fight, and that was Cap, Bucky, Tony, and T'Challa. Wanda says Clint is pulling his punches. Rhodey isn't trying to kill anyone even though he has the arsenal to do so. Most of the fight is just trying to disable or counter the abilities of the other squad. gently caress, at the end Natasha even sees how pointless it is and lets Cap and Bucky go.

This might explain a lot as well, I liked the final fight more because there was much less holding back. Of course, just because there's a decent in-story reason for nobody to be actually fighting properly doesn't make the fight feel less like a pillow-fight to me. People just kept getting back up without any obvious sign of damage, until all the gimmicks had been revealed.

qntm fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 23, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I just watched X-Men: Apocalypse for a second time today. (Mistake)

I didn't really think about this when I saw it in theaters, but:

1) Apocalypse's powers are already so ill-defined, but how would transferring his consciousness into another person's body allow him to retain all the other powers he's gained, that were the result of a physical genetic mutation, in a different body?

2) They really underused the 80's setting. The movie could have taken place in 2030 and almost nothing would need to change.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

qntm posted:

I did laugh at that early one-two between Falcon (I think) and Black Widow, "Has anybody told you you're paranoid?" "No... why, did you hear something?" And I liked the final fight, because it had a clearer progression and it revealed character through the action.

This might explain a lot as well, I liked the final fight more because there was much less holding back. Of course, just because there's a decent in-story reason for nobody to be actually fighting properly doesn't make the fight feel less like a pillow-fight to me. People just kept getting back up without any obvious sign of damage, until all the gimmicks had been revealed.

If you're watching superhero movies and saying "this whole trope where everyone fights but doesn't die makes no sense," you may not be the audience for superhero movies (that aren't directed by Zack Snyder)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

1) Apocalypse's powers are already so ill-defined, but how would transferring his consciousness into another person's body allow him to retain all the other powers he's gained, that were the result of a physical genetic mutation, in a different body?

His fancy altar thing, presumably. We already see it turn Oscar Isaac blue, so it does more than just transfer consciousness.

But also doing nonsense things that don't mesh with genetic mutations would just be X-Men tradition. How the gently caress could someone have the genetic ability to control machines, Marvel? It doesn't make any sense!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think the altar was supposed to be alien technology. I'd say "Celestials" but, y'know. The Fox thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm more aghast at calling Unbreakable the thinking person's superhero movie.I liked it but eesh.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spider-man 2 is better than every MCU movie, this is a known uncontroversial fact.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lurdiak posted:

Spider-man 2 is better than every MCU movie, this is a known uncontroversial fact.

I'm kind of taken aback that you agree with and acknowledge this.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lurdiak posted:

Every Spider-Man movie made to this date has been terrible.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Look I'm not saying you're wrong for disliking that opinion, but there are way worse movies with the Marvel name on them than SM2. It's not a completely stupid pick for best Marvel movie, is what I'm saying.

my bad, i was mostly pissed because he implied SM2 was a Marvel Studios joint

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

teagone posted:

I'm kind of taken aback that you agree with and acknowledge this.

Alfred Molina directed by Sam Raimi, what's not to love?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm more amazed that all of Raimi's Spider-Man films are so humourless. JK Simmons is the only performer to consistently get laughs. (Well, him and Bruce Campbell)
Spider-Man 2 especially is so maudlin and blatantly emotionally manipulative that you can basically hear Raimi and Elfman screaming "CRY drat YOU!" over the string section.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tobey is incapable of delivering lines with humor. The ONE time he succeeded with the right attitude and it was a gay joke so not so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

Ha

Hahaha

Okay but seriously you can stop with the jokes now

• Locked thread