Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vitamin P posted:

It's odd that I feel absolutely no compulsion to binge watch this. Just an episode every free evening, give them time to digest.

Yeah, bingewatching this show in particular feels like shotgunning a bottle of Salmiakki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mameluke posted:

cis-white poor-geois

What the gently caress is this? And no I don't mean tell me what the terms mean.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Waldo would've been my favourite of the series if it wasn't for the stinger at the end. So, so unnecessary in what was otherwise remarkably restrained.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

WE B Boo-ourgeois posted:

Shut Up and Dance, christ

Hits close to home doesn't it. MODS KNEW

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Waldo was not restrained in any sense of the word

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i thought it was pretty easy to watch the whole thing in one go up until the last episode.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mu Zeta posted:

Waldo was not restrained in any sense of the word

In the context of this series.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

I am okay with this.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The teen in Shut Up and Dance was a quivering nervous wreck and a mess. I haven't seen someone like that since Lydia on Breaking Bad.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fans posted:

I am okay with this.

Humanity's future: doomed

Cats' future: adorable

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
cant wait for black mirrors twisted but chillingly probable take on cats

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Junipero cats best cats.

Men Against Fire what was the deal with the weird fake wife pre-programmed sex dreams? I assumed that giving them a partner was part of the conditioning, but it seemed weirdly specific that Stamper can order certain dreams on demand for their soldiers.

Also I'm not a huge fan of the idea of having all of the exposition done in a featureless room at the end.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
San Junipero. Wow. I'm not crying, you're crying. Shut up

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Mameluke posted:

To the other goon who quoted my Playtest comments: [spoiler]Part of why I (a cis-white poor-geois myself) disliked Cooper's character so much is that he's an unconventional Black Mirror protagonist. The only other white dudes headlining an episode this year are Bronn and a teenage pedo, with three episodes about women and one about a black man. Part of why I enjoy Black Mirror is how easily relatable its characters are, who are often either unlike me or put into a totally foreign situation. Take San Junipero, which uses both of those ideas to incredible effect.

So, to have a suburban NY loser with mommy issues show up, was disappointing in the first place. The stereotype of the Westerner who goes travelling to "discover themself" is well-established, and reiterating it here took up an unnecessary amount of time in the episode. I like the comment that Cooper came off as an LPer, because that helps me understand the purpose of his constant smarmy comments. Not to sperg too much, but I'd imagine 9/10 Black Mirror viewers know that Dumbledore doesn't assign you your house. So here we have an uninteresting, actively offensive protagonist.

You are entitled to your opinion naturally, but I didn't see him in any way being offensive and I think he was just meant to be relatable (somewhat) character. It just seems like an odd criticism that a black mirror character has to be twisted/detestable or some kind of minority. He was just a vessel on how the lamest dudes psyche sort of collapsed in upon itself in a kind of interesting way.

My larger issue is that it was kind of pointless, it is an interesting concept but they simply went nowhere with it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Zenithe posted:

Junipero cats best cats.

Men Against Fire what was the deal with the weird fake wife pre-programmed sex dreams? I assumed that giving them a partner was part of the conditioning, but it seemed weirdly specific that Stamper can order certain dreams on demand for their soldiers.

Also I'm not a huge fan of the idea of having all of the exposition done in a featureless room at the end.

They programmed the act of shooting the gun and killing people into being orgasmic. And she's probably just some hot chick he decided on before getting the implants.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 23, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

You are entitled to your opinion naturally, but I didn't see him in any way being offensive and I think he was just meant to be relatable (somewhat) character. It just seems like an odd criticism that a black mirror character has to be twisted/detestable or some kind of minority. He was just a vessel on how the lamest dudes psyche sort of collapsed in upon itself in a kind of interesting way.

My larger issue is that it was kind of pointless, it is an interesting concept but they simply went nowhere with it.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think they just have a different definition of "offensive" to the rest of us because their posts baffle me a lil bit.

Watching 6 now. The gently caress is with the bees

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's really really bad.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Zenithe posted:

Junipero cats best cats.

It's a reward for killing. One of the women is envious of him for getting two kills because he's going to get the good dreams.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Fans posted:

It's a reward for killing. One of the women is envious of him for getting two kills because he's going to get the good dreams.

I'm an idiot. :downs: Thanks

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
One of the first things that crossed my mind when I saw Mackenzie Davis in San Junipero was "can't they find that woman a role in notable movie or show that isn't nerdy and socially ackward?"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

she totally has the look of the dorky woman that doesn't know she's pretty tho.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why do so many people want a Karin spinoff? Her character is absolutely miserable. No fun to watch.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

What was it with the finger twitching during sleep in "Men against Fire"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

unlawfulsoup posted:

Sorry for the giant spoiler text post:

I think the technology aspects of it were pointless, but I don't think there was an intended message of "Turn your phones off when asked!!" I think it was more "Make that phone call and reconcile, because you never know when it's going to be your last chance. I think it was undercut by the layers of reality, with a twist that everything had happened in mere seconds. It wasn't done in a particularly interesting way, the "horror" stuff was mostly bad CG, and the "twists" kept getting piled on and on until you just assumed everything was a part of the dream. Oddly, the non sci-fi stuff, about losing his Dad and not feeling a connection with his Mom, about his forced bro personality and his traveling the world, was a bit more powerful, but it would have been just the same if he'd died in a climbing accident. I think some of that resonated with me because my own Dad, who lost his mom, ran away from home when he was 15 and traveled the country, and never really had the opportunity to make up with his father before he died. He's surrounded himself with a lot of people for whom that's true. It's not a terribly original story, but everything about him, the way he tried forcefully to be friendly and jokey while talking a little too much all the time, the way it's vaguely charming for a second but starts to grate on you, all of that rang true to me.

It's not a great episode, but I think the more "Black Mirrory" aspects of it were "just for fun." I think they would have been more fun if they'd been a little more fleshed out, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First half of Hated in the Nation was ok but 51 minutes in and this just became really loving stupid and awful

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

mcbexx posted:

What was it with the finger twitching during sleep in "Men against Fire"

Pulling the trigger on roaches gave them the sexy dreams at night, just a way to further show that connection. They're being rewarded for each kill they make

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Final third of Hated in the Nation was the best but it's still the worst by far. The mixture of a complete lack of subtlety in the main theme, a technological feature that thematically doesn't connect to the whole twitter thing at all and makes the whole episode way goofier and dumber, and a dour, humourless lead character meant barely any part of it worked for me.

So 431526, I think.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mine is probably 436152.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Two little touches I liked:

Nosedive:
The security guy in the airport is way tooled up. Carbine, K-pot on his head, body armor. And he lays the slap down with an iPad and a bad personal Yelp review.

Men Against Fire:
It's only mentioned in a brief exchange, but the real gut punch is that civilians don't have the augmented reality implants, and are still terrified/disgusted by the "roaches." On the whole they will generally be Good Little Eichmans letting the people who do the actual Holocausting know where to find them. It's a technological novelty that gets you the best and most compliant death squads, but the everyday people doing the killing at a remove with a pointed finger and a whispered word are as comfortable as they've ever been with it...

On the balance it felt a little uneven

My rankings:

(1) San Junipero
(2) Men Against Fire
(3) Nosedive
[Howling chasm of a quality fall off]
(4) What if Bees, But Too Much
(5) Shut Up And Dance
(6) What if Video Games, But Too Much

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 24, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Hated in the Nation: The bees worked because they were a hive mind, just as we describe the internet "hive mind". I'm surprised everyone missed that metaphor, but in everyone's defense it was one of the worst episodes (though I disliked Men Against Fire much more.)

Also I guess if you didn't have your photo attached to your Twitter profile you were safe from the beepocalypse, right?

Edit:

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 24, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I got the metaphor, it just seemed like it must have been difficult for the screenwriter to lift his fingers to the keyboard and type it out.

You know, with such heavy hands.

Seriously this was not a great episode.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

im gay posted:

I'm not familiar with UK's government, who were the people hearing the testimony supposed to be? All the dudes were knighted.

It was supposed to look like a select committee, I think, which are made up of MPs. They discuss issues with experts and then publish official reports about them.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Lightning quick reviews:

1. I couldn't stop thinking about MeowMeowBeenz but this episode was pretty good anyway and the ending cathartic as hell. However, the brother really needs to work on his American accent.

2. Christ this episode. I was really into it until the end where the dream within a dream came off like a bad Inception parody and totally drained the episode of any dramatic integrity. I couldn't take it seriously anymore.

3. By far my favorite. This is Black Mirror at its best. It channels the same energy as White Bear but I think it's significantly better paced and delivered a much better gutpunch as a result.

4. While I acknowledge its evident quality, it didn't grab me and I found myself bored while watching it. I thought the most intriguing part of the world - that people who have passed over eventually succumb to hedonism, debauchery, and sadomasochism at the Quagmire to stave off the boredom of eternity - could have been explored more. I realize that the episode wanted a more optimistic tone, but that seems like such a great concept for techno-horror.

5. Unoriginal and uninspired. The "they look like monsters to you?" twist is so played out that to pull it off now a days you need to do something exceptional to make it interesting and this episode wasn't it.

6. No matter how dumb the bees are, I'd watch detective Kelly Macdonald all day. This episode also struck upon what I always find the most interesting part of stories set in the near-present where a cabal of politicians and government officials try to reckon with the extraordinary circumstances they face with the realistic tools at there disposal. I've always thought a show that was basically just "how would a government respond to [insert extraordinary threat of the week] while trying to a. Minimize the damage, b. Maintain power, c. Defend its interests, and d. If there's time, protect the public" would be really good. The chancellor ordering the leak of the pederast Lord's old skeletons even though they're completely irrelevant in order to draw attention away from himself was great.

Overall: 341652.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 24, 2016

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Number three was pretty jolly. Well, that face was anyway. I know it isn't the point, but I'd kind of like to know who the mastermind was. Whoever told the sister about the film website I guess.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I thought the video game developer from episode 2 was in the final episode in one of the news scrolls, so I went looking to search for Easter Eggs, and this is pretty funny:

CharlieBrooker posted:

...Awhile ago, when we were doing the show, somebody sent me a link to a funny article that Mallory Ortberg had written that was taking the piss out of Black Mirror in an amusing way, and so we've hidden the phrase, "what if phones, but too much" in there as well, if you look closely.

(Almost definitely some spoilers in the rest of the interview: https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/black-mirror-netflix-season-3-charlie-brooker-interview)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Escobarbarian posted:

Final third of Hated in the Nation was the best but it's still the worst by far. The mixture of a complete lack of subtlety in the main theme, a technological feature that thematically doesn't connect to the whole twitter thing at all and makes the whole episode way goofier and dumber, and a dour, humourless lead character meant barely any part of it worked for me.

So 431526, I think.

Nah, Nosedive is by far the worst, it's very obviously an episode written by Mike Schur to the point of being cringingly unwatchable at points (a la many, many episodes of US Office) with an atrociously dumb and on the nose ending that feels like it should've been excised out of the rough draft, let alone made it to final.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Brooker did a really great interview with Terry Gross the other day and it turns out "what if phones, but too much" is actually his writing process.

quote:

I suppose really, what I don't tend to do actually is kind of look at the news or look at technological developments and then try and think of a storyline based around those, generally. What happens is often I'll be in conversation with somebody often Annabel Jones, who's the co-showrunner on the show, and I'll - often I'm just thinking of what strikes me as a fairly delicious what-if idea, basically. And then if it - if there's some technological means by which I can see that event happening, I'll sort of latch onto that if that makes sense, so I tend to work it round that way.

http://www.npr.org/2016/10/20/498683379/black-mirror-creator-dramatizes-our-worst-nightmares-about-technology

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also Bown's totally right that the ending of 4 completely undercuts the thematic and character build of the piece up until that point.

Also, the Black Mirror-patented "credits interspersed scene" is only used sparingly and only to be further revelatory/ create emphasis of focus (whether that be thematic, personal, or narrative), and the fact that all it did was told the audience things it already knew and didn't justify the ending further damns 4. It's still an amazing, wondrous episode of BM, and the easy second-best of the season and an all-time classic in its own right, but it bobbles both its ending and its interspersed credits sequences, which has stuff like White Bear's intercredits sequence (a damning episode of television by themselves) to contend against.

As opposed to Shut Up and Dance, which is Literally Perfect.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Rarity posted:

Ep 3: I think what makes Shut Up and Dance so powerful to me is that it's absolutely current. Episodes like 15 Million Merits and White Bear hit hard but there's still a very clear disconnect between their worlds and the reality of the present. But this story is something that could literally be happening today. It's not a story that warns us of how poo poo the future could be, it's one that shows us how poo poo the world is now.

That's a nice catch. It reinforces my thinking, that criticisms of the feasibility of technology in other episodes is misguided — Black Mirror isn't trying to predict the future, it's allegory!

McDragon posted:

Number three was pretty jolly. Well, that face was anyway. I know it isn't the point, but I'd kind of like to know who the mastermind was. Whoever told the sister about the film website I guess.

The trollface pretty much gives it away doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Zenithe posted:

Junipero cats best cats.

Years ago I read some scifi/fantasy short story. Where the charter about to have his memories altered about the truth is given the James bond exposition speech. The antagonist says that when the sub conscious knows the truth it feels that it has won, and thus doesnt resist or fight the alerted memories. So even though the protagonist wont remember the truth on a conscious level his subconscious does and thus puts up less resistance.

They could have polished the story more, and I wish they explained how they knew who was and wasn't a roach....and maybe given us a better idea of what the world was like.