Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

How long do you guys typically wait between pizzas to let the steel heat back up to full temp or near full temp? For that waiting period, do you leave the broiler on high, or set the oven to the highest temp it can go (550F)? I'm following the directions on the Baking Steel site but it doesn't cover this.

I usually make enough pizza to feed 4-5 people at once, so around 3 pizzas. I've noticed the second and third pizzas' crusts aren't as charred/bubbly as the first, but I'm also trying to get the food out as quickly as I can so everyone can eat at once and without having to wait 20 mins for the next round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My setup is steel on second rack from the top, oven on 550 convection (which uses the top element)

I cook my pies for 3 minutes, and I did 4 pies with maybe 3 minutes between them this weekend with no noticeable decline. I have a 3/8" steel.

The steel was no doubt fully heated as I had baked bread before I turned the oven up to 550, so it had a couple hours at 350 before I increased the heat.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Mine is 3/8" too. I'll try using the convection setting next time. I think the problem might be that I suck at using pizza peels so I'm leaving the oven door open for a minute or so each time while I carefully maneuver the pizzas in and out... but I can't imagine that would make a huge difference since the steel retains so much heat :shrug: We'll see how it goes this Thursday!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My favorite is when, as happened this weekend on my last pie, the pizza decides to stick to the peel as I slide I end up with a bunch of pepperonis turning to charcoal on the steel and a pizza of indeterminate shape. Good times.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

whatupdet posted:

Looks like I'll be getting one of these when my current stones eventually crack and they ship to :canada:! The Big looks good at 16x14x1/2" but wow on 30lbs!

I picked up the Modern Cuisinist 3/8in edition and think the world of it. But, given the chance, I'd get the Big.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My favorite is when, as happened this weekend on my last pie, the pizza decides to stick to the peel as I slide I end up with a bunch of pepperonis turning to charcoal on the steel and a pizza of indeterminate shape. Good times.

That's when you make the decision to lop all the toppings back on and turn it into a calzone! :sun:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

dead lettuce posted:

Mine is 3/8" too. I'll try using the convection setting next time. I think the problem might be that I suck at using pizza peels so I'm leaving the oven door open for a minute or so each time while I carefully maneuver the pizzas in and out... but I can't imagine that would make a huge difference since the steel retains so much heat :shrug: We'll see how it goes this Thursday!

How long are you preheating? I usually have the oven on for at least an hour to an hour and 15 before I put in the first pie. I've cranked out 4 pies in 20 minutes or so without much variation in finish. I'm using a straight electric with a top element broiler, and I'll usually play with the door a little to keep the broiler from ticking off. Getting quick with the peel does help, but if the steel has had time to really soak up a bunch of heat, it shouldn't lose that much with the door open for a minute. Hell, mine is usually still noticeably warm 7-8 hours later. :v:

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

sirbeefalot posted:

How long are you preheating? I usually have the oven on for at least an hour to an hour and 15 before I put in the first pie. I've cranked out 4 pies in 20 minutes or so without much variation in finish. I'm using a straight electric with a top element broiler, and I'll usually play with the door a little to keep the broiler from ticking off. Getting quick with the peel does help, but if the steel has had time to really soak up a bunch of heat, it shouldn't lose that much with the door open for a minute. Hell, mine is usually still noticeably warm 7-8 hours later. :v:

I preheat for 45 mins to an hour, I'll try a little longer. I have a gas oven but haven't been using the convection setting up to this point. I've been sticking a spoon in the door (per Kenji's recommendation) to keep the broiler from turning off. Hopefully it was just a fluke. Thanks everyone for the advice and please pray / send good vibes for my pizzas tomorrow :pray:

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

First attempt at a sourdough pan pizza crust looking good so far.

Going no knead. That's after 10 hours; will probably give it overnight then chuck it in the fridge for a couple days.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Heners_UK posted:

Generally, people like Baking Steel's the best: https://www.bakingsteel.com

Although it's pricey, look at is this way:

A decent pizza stone will last 6 months to a year before it cracks (and it will crack, perhaps 2 years if you're lucky) and is about $20-40. Let's assume $20.

A $80-120 baking steel is basically indestructible, will last for many years (I've had mine 3 now). Even though the cost is 4-6 times a baking stone, the life of a baking steel is more than 6 times that of a stone (and still counting).

And here's some dough to get you going: https://www.bakingsteel.com/blog/72-hour-pizza-dough

Sold. I went with the Big. Am now waiting patiently to see how long it takes to get shipped :(

Do people use their steels for things other than pizza? I know the bakingsteel site lists a bunch of stuff, but that could just be marketing. I don't know if it's GOOD to use to make, say, a bunch of cookies with.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it's very good for pitas or naan or really anything you could flat top in the oven.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Kaedric posted:

Sold. I went with the Big. Am now waiting patiently to see how long it takes to get shipped :(

Do people use their steels for things other than pizza? I know the bakingsteel site lists a bunch of stuff, but that could just be marketing. I don't know if it's GOOD to use to make, say, a bunch of cookies with.

I wouldn't use for cookies. If you preheat for long enough to get the stone up to temp, you may burn your bottoms. Cookies are coming out great with the current sheet pan method, so I'd be hesitant to do something that changes the cooking dynamic so drastically.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I bake bread on it probably more often than I make pizza these days.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kaedric posted:

I use it as a flattop griddle all the time on the stovetop. Complete with a scraper it's the closest I'm going to get in a rental. I also throw it in the freezer and use it as a heat sink when I'm working with certain dough or anything that needs to stay cold.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003

pot roast pie - roasted garlic mashed potatoes, sliced beef, cheddar cheese curds, roasted carrots, peas, red wine gravy, fresh oregano/thyme

also, not exactly a pizza, but if you put a blank dough in the oven it will puff up into a little pita pocket

blacquethoven fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 12, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
my batch of pizzas this weekend were weird. i couldn't get the crust crispy, and i'm not sure why. I blasted the stone under the broiler for to make sure it was up to heat and gave them a little extra time. still floppy and soft. My gut tells me this is something that would happen with overhydrated dough but I measure by weight so I can't imagine how that could have happened.

what gives?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Pomp posted:

what gives?

You mentioned using the broiler/grill. When you put the pizza in, did you leave the broiler on?

Normally, I would say have the broiler on for the first 2 minutes of pizza cooking time. I usually turn it on as I put the pizza in then switch back to convection after 2 minutes.

In this case, I would turn your oven back to convection or normal immediately, or not use the broiler at all. It might mean longer cooking times but that's kind of the point...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Very thin crust pizza, thinnest I ever made. Very quick and easy to make and it turned out good. Used this recipe for the sauce and dough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBTgZA5xezc

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Heners_UK posted:

You mentioned using the broiler/grill. When you put the pizza in, did you leave the broiler on?

Normally, I would say have the broiler on for the first 2 minutes of pizza cooking time. I usually turn it on as I put the pizza in then switch back to convection after 2 minutes.

In this case, I would turn your oven back to convection or normal immediately, or not use the broiler at all. It might mean longer cooking times but that's kind of the point...

i do the opposite and turn on the broiler for the last couple of minutes

His Divine Shadow posted:

Very thin crust pizza, thinnest I ever made. Very quick and easy to make and it turned out good. Used this recipe for the sauce and dough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBTgZA5xezc

:eyepop:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Pizza place near me is closing and a friend got their dough recipe. Apparently they used a 7:1 ratio of flour to water to make dough, is that crazy or is it just me? Their pizza wasn't great but their pepperoni rolls were stellar.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Pizza place near me is closing and a friend got their dough recipe. Apparently they used a 7:1 ratio of flour to water to make dough, is that crazy or is it just me? Their pizza wasn't great but their pepperoni rolls were stellar.

this does not sound correct

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Veritek83 posted:

this does not sound correct

Yeah, even if you go generous creatively and say by volume instead of weight, that is still less than 30% hydration.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Yeah, I live in Houston and it's very humid here but not THAT humid.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Welp the distributor I got my high gluten flour from recently instituted a $100 minimum order. I'm not willing to buy 250 pounds of flour at a time. Guess it's back to bread flour until I can find someone in the industry to hook me up :(

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like you're not committed to making good pizza

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

250 lbs is only about a year of pizza

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Decisions decisions, I am trying to reverse engineer my favorite local pizza joint and think they use grande. Can anyone chime in on 100% part skim and grandes 50/50 mozz/provolone mix? This is what I am going for :)

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Doom Rooster posted:

Yeah, even if you go generous creatively and say by volume instead of weight, that is still less than 30% hydration.

Maybe they had a signature hardtack crust.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

cr0y posted:

Decisions decisions, I am trying to reverse engineer my favorite local pizza joint and think they use grande. Can anyone chime in on 100% part skim and grandes 50/50 mozz/provolone mix? This is what I am going for :)

Are you sure it's part skim?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Happiness Commando posted:

Guess it's back to bread flour until I can find someone in the industry to hook me up :(

I found a distributor that does "no-minimum Fridays". Emailed asking about ~14% protein high gluten flour and was told to come on by. I show up and their 25 pound sack of high-gluten flour is 12.5% protein - the bag is labelled "bread flour". Their 50 pound sack just says "red winter wheat" and a quick phone call later I find out its 12%.

Stopped by a pizza shop on my way home, walked out with 50 pounds of legit high gluten flour from a local mill for half of what I would have paid for the 25 pound sack of bread flour

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Are you sure it's part skim?

No, I actually wasn't. But i bit the bullet and got grande part skim and even concocted a sauce that is nearly identical. Whipped up this bad boy last night and it was awesome.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 5, 2016

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003

braised brisket, roasted poblano, red onion, cilantro, pickled jalapeno-lime crema. the base is the reduced and thickened braising liquid (ancho powder, oregano, dried chiles, onion, garlic, tomato, etc.)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

That's a really pretty pizza and a great looking crust, jesus.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
The new hotness came in today.

Excited to fire it up this weekend!

EDIT: Yes, I have a problem.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

ogopogo posted:

The new hotness came in today.

Excited to fire it up this weekend!

EDIT: Yes, I have a problem.

I am jealous. I just bought a house and am thinking about low-ish cost baking options for the backyard.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Veritek83 posted:

I am jealous. I just bought a house and am thinking about low-ish cost baking options for the backyard.
http://www.weber.com/grills/series/master-touch/master-touch-22
https://www.kettlepizza.com/kettle-ovens/charcoal-grill-inserts/

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

The KettlePizza is definitely a viable low cost option! I used and then (heavily) modified a KP for about a year. It's great for the price, but it just wasn't enough heat, space, or ease of use to really make it worth using for anything more than 1-3 pizzas in an evening. If you plan on keeping your pizza cooks small, the KP is a good place to start. If you ever plan on doing bigger parties for friends and the like, you're gonna want something that can get to and maintain a good amount of heat in a space that can handle 1-3 pizzas at a time, be it wood fired or electric. The Pizza Party guys have really hit a sweet spot in the market as far as I can see - it's not as expensive as a permanent installed huge gently caress-off oven that run $2-5k. It's (relatively) affordable if you're really serious about having a WFO for pizzas/breads/meats. There are some other options out there, I think a little more DIY, but I've been super happy with my ovens, and they guys over in Italy who make them are really pleasant to chat with.

My two cents on the whole thing coming from the last 7 years or so of searching for a good home oven, and having gone through 4 iterations of ovens!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Those prices are really reasonable

But I'm also enough of a fool to spend over 1200 on a big green egg.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
First firing and first pizzas in the new oven! Having all the space was really nice.

And obligatory photo of my girlfriend's cat -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Looks crazy awesome! And the pizza looks really good too.

What are you using for tomato? That looks crazy thick.