Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Punisher v2 #4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
That good ole Ennis terrible poo poo.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Ashikan judan posted:

Nobody ever seems to be trying to "make good from the wreckage" of the time Peter backhanded Mary Jane across a room. Probably because writers rightly moved on and ignored it instead of dwelling on it for two decades.

Well I mean that marriage never happened thanks to Mephisto so why bother.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

goldenoreos posted:

Well I mean that marriage never happened thanks to Mephisto so why bother.

Technically everything that happened in the marriage still happened! Except the parts that didn't?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah, though "Giant Sized Ma'am Thing" is pretty great.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

At least Spidey has been able to no sell Punisher from time to time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Choco1980 posted:

:agreed:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So uh, I don't know anything about the Punisher. What's the deal with the Russian here?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dexie posted:

So uh, I don't know anything about the Punisher. What's the deal with the Russian here?

In an earlier storyline (the first Ennis Punisher?), the Russian was a very large, very tough, not very bright guy who beat the poo poo out of Frank until he eventually outsmarted him. (Think about Oddjob or Jaws from the James Bond movies. Guys where you hit 'em with gold bricks and they don't give a poo poo.) I think explosives were involved. He might have been entirely decapitated, which is why he's undergone so much physical change since his previous appearance. (Note the stitches and pipes and wires connecting head to torso.)

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016

Choco1980 posted:

I'm also rather partial to the WHEEEEE panels.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

prefect posted:

In an earlier storyline (the first Ennis Punisher?), the Russian was a very large, very tough, not very bright guy who beat the poo poo out of Frank until he eventually outsmarted him. (Think about Oddjob or Jaws from the James Bond movies. Guys where you hit 'em with gold bricks and they don't give a poo poo.) I think explosives were involved. He might have been entirely decapitated, which is why he's undergone so much physical change since his previous appearance. (Note the stitches and pipes and wires connecting head to torso.)

He was originally killed by having a morbidly obese fat sit on his face for an hour until he suffocated. Really.

Ennis is really weird.

EDIT: for the record, I do own the TPB of welcome back Frank, and Ennis sometimes really makes me wince badly.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

prefect posted:

Oh, he was entirely decapitated:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've always been partial to the Spidey/Russian comic because it ends with the Punisher using an unconscious Spider-Man as a human shield to absorb all the Russian's attacks. After the fight is over and Spidey comes too, he woozily asks what happened and Frank replies,"We had a team-up.... you were great."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ennis is a weird, weird dude, but not really in the way where you think he might be driving at something interesting, either.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
He's really very normal, he just has fondness for farce and lowbrow absurdity.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

He's really very normal, he just has fondness for farce and lowbrow absurdity.

And hard manly men making hard manly choices, not like those loving childish optimists.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bunnyofdoom posted:

He was originally killed by having a morbidly obese fat sit on his face for an hour until he suffocated. Really.

Ennis is really weird.

EDIT: for the record, I do own the TPB of welcome back Frank, and Ennis sometimes really makes me wince badly.

That's right -- Frank got the kill with an assist from Mister Bumppo. :allears:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's the combination of the two that really gets me. The gritty, hard manly men who know what needs to be done are not really my speed, but they're comprehensible. It's the fact that these macho, uncompromising characters also exist in a world of leering sexual mishap and grotesque, where dogs raping people and semen with blood in it are the height of comedy. It's sort of like Pulp Fiction by way of Pink Flamingos.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

With a side note in all superheroes are useless.

I do like that DD season 2 took the frank daredevil scene from welcome back frank and actually made daredevil not a strawman

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Android Blues posted:

Ennis is a weird, weird dude, but not really in the way where you think he might be driving at something interesting, either.

He also wrote one of the best single issues about Superman pretty much ever.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

He also wrote one of the best single issues about Superman pretty much ever.

People bring this up, and other people are always like "well yeah but Ennis doesn't actually like Superman" and it's like, whatever, it was still a great story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

People bring this up, and other people are always like "well yeah but Ennis doesn't actually like Superman" and it's like, whatever, it was still a great story.

He's on record saying how much he likes Superman actually.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

He's on record saying how much he likes Superman actually.

I know! But people argue about it. :shrug: "He doesn't wanna piss DC off" or whatever.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i find the idea that spiderman of all people wouldn't know how to deal with dudes stronger than he is very funny. like, spiderman only fights golden age style themed bank robbers or something so he isn't prepared to handle real, serious threats like this bargain basement cyborg.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i find the idea that spiderman of all people wouldn't know how to deal with dudes stronger than he is very funny. like, spiderman only fights golden age style themed bank robbers or something so he isn't prepared to handle real, serious threats like this bargain basement cyborg.

Especially since it's been established that Spider-Man hitting somebody as hard as he can without thinking about it can kill them (Charlemagne). He's also been able to hang with super powered types in straight fistfights who have crazy stamina like Green Goblin, and he also beat the ever loving piss out of the Kingpin who is comparable in size to The Russian, although to be fair, I think that happened after this panel. Although I doubt Dillon and Ennis would care to begin with.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Especially since it's been established that Spider-Man hitting somebody as hard as he can without thinking about it can kill them (Charlemagne). He's also been able to hang with super powered types in straight fistfights who have crazy stamina like Green Goblin, and he also beat the ever loving piss out of the Kingpin who is comparable in size to The Russian, although to be fair, I think that happened after this panel. Although I doubt Dillon and Ennis would care to begin with.

Wasn't there a scene where Spidey tells Frank that he pulls his punches most of the time and Frank would have no chance against him? Then Punisher tries to lay him out with a haymaker and Spidey doesn't even budge? Something like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

flosofl posted:

Wasn't there a scene where Spidey tells Frank that he pulls his punches most of the time and Frank would have no chance against him? Then Punisher tries to lay him out with a haymaker and Spidey doesn't even budge? Something like that.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Pretty sure Spider-Man lifted the entire Daily Bugle office once when Aunt May was in danger

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Ennis is from northern Ireland, which is notorious for producing people with a twisted sense of humor, and his early Punisher work comes out of his immediately post-Preacher period where he was justly renowned for his irreverence and controversy. He doesn't take superheroes particularly seriously, because he grew up on Judge Dredd, and he got and is getting a lot of cheap heat from superhero fans because he wrote a bunch of increasingly lowbrow jokes at superheroes' expense.

A lot of his comedy does nothing for me (there are big broad swaths of his recently concluded A Train Called Love that keep me from recommending it to people, like an entire issue about a man who discovers that his beautiful, charming, slightly naive new girlfriend has appeared in bestiality videos), but when he's writing historical fiction, crime drama, or horror, Ennis is easily one of the single best working writers in the business today. Dreaming Eagles is a great book.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Was it Ennis that mocked the Joker in his Superman issue or am I thinking of someone else?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Landis. It was good but feel prey to the idea that Superman is faster than light which is all but established but still silly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Trast posted:

Was it Ennis that mocked the Joker in his Superman issue or am I thinking of someone else?

I believe you're thinking of Landis.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That issue also was a reasoned critique of Joker's problems as a character in modern stories. Ennis just has superheroes and villains slip in doo doo and get knocked out. Then something goes in their butt, because gay.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I completely agreed with the comic's thesis, but it's way of conveying it carried the same attitude of 'Lol, this is what Christians actually believe'. And while the Joker characterization was perfect, Supes was pretty much just the same cocky-always-right straight man that deviantart comics are filled with.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What was that Joker one? Throw it up. Maybe also the Boners panels.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I completely agreed with the comic's thesis, but it's way of conveying it carried the same attitude of 'Lol, this is what Christians actually believe'. And while the Joker characterization was perfect, Supes was pretty much just the same cocky-always-right straight man that deviantart comics are filled with.
It's because Superman had Max Landis' literal voice where he is basically :goonsay: how he thinks the encounter would go.

I still loved it because Lord knows the Joker needed to be taken down a peg. He's a good villain but he gets defied too much for a purple and green cipher.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mind the walrus posted:

He's a good villain

Not sure I agree with this.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

In honor of the late, great, Steve Dillon, here's the best Preacher page:

http://www.yisoonshin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/5.jpg

Maybe we'll finally start getting some Punisher comics where it's easier to keep track of who is who, because characters will start being drawn with different faces.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

I believe you're thinking of Landis.

That was the one that had the Joker slip through all the different depictions through each panel on one page, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MikeJF posted:

That was the one that had the Joker slip through all the different depictions through each panel on one page, right?

Yes. Say what you will about Landis as a writer that issue had very good art.