Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I wonder how backed up Wildstar's support is by now. How many people can they field for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mizuti posted:

I wonder how backed up Wildstar's support is by now. How many people can they field for that?

I can only speak for when it first went F2P and I got an answer to a ticket within hours. I expect with the reduced servers/reduced player base they can probably fill the whole log out with a team of like 3 teenagers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mizuti posted:

Well you'd need people around to file tickets first.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

StuG Jeebus posted:

Is there even a chance that will happen? Don't toy with me like that.

To add on to the "nah" of this: if nothing else, there's the hurdle of the fact that the CoH client is now four years old (sidenote: good christ). Windows 8 had just come out when CoH shuttered; today I'm sure there'd be all sorts of little compatibility issues with Win8 and Win10 due to how those OSes are built. There would be a non-trivial amount of QA required to make them go live in a proper state.

CoH really isn't coming back. It burns my biscuits and I hope all those Paragon dudes have landed okay at this point, but at this point CoH is dead and gone.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
It ran well enough on Windows 8 if I remember rightly, and I'm pretty sure Paragon Chat works just fine on 10. Of course, 'just fine' for a fan made project that's not even the full game and 'just fine' for a full live game aren't always the same thing.

Personally I'd rather see a CoH 2 if they were going to resurrect the IP at all. But even then I'd rather it be from someone other than NCSoft, which puts it right back at 'never ever going to happen'.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I'm kind of surprised there hasn't already been a spiritual successor pop up over at Kickstarter. Seems to be the trend these days with older MMOs and their original creators.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mayor McCheese posted:

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't already been a spiritual successor pop up over at Kickstarter. Seems to be the trend these days with older MMOs and their original creators.

There was! Some people involved in making it post in the Paragon Chat thread quite a bit.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
None of them actually had any coding experience, did they?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

quote:

Estimated Delivery: Nov 2015

Haha. Yeah. How'd that work out?

And wow, they have one of the most atrocious looking websites I've seen in a long time.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
In theory there might be a market for a minimal viable product amateur hour rush job by hacks superhero MMO RPG.

However Champions Online already exists.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Yeah well I heard that someone is totally looking to buy the coh liscence and put the game back out and all the servers will come back too with your character.

Someone on a forum said so once.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'd be willing to buy many of NCSoft's properties. I can't say that the offer would be reasonable but I can say I'd be the high bidder.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Haha. Yeah. How'd that work out?

And wow, they have one of the most atrocious looking websites I've seen in a long time.

Last time I checked 90% of updates were about the character creation stuff and there wasn't anything discussing backend support (which is the real challenge in these kinds of things). Is that still the case?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

randombattle posted:

Yeah well I heard that someone is totally looking to buy the coh liscence and put the game back out and all the servers will come back too with your character.

Someone on a forum said so once.

That actually did happen with APB. Difference being that company went bankrupt and had no choice but to sell it, and sell it cheap enough that another developer picked it up.

Deki posted:

Last time I checked 90% of updates were about the character creation stuff and there wasn't anything discussing backend support (which is the real challenge in these kinds of things). Is that still the case?

According to their horrendous website, on the fourth of July they posted this lovely video that showcases nothing but placeholder models and textures, two lore updates, then August 31st they just got the first character model working. Since then, the only updates have been two lore additions and the creation of a single mask item.

So lol. Nope. They haven't even started developing the game itself it seems. They are still struggling with the 3d modeling.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

That actually did happen with APB. Difference being that company went bankrupt and had no choice but to sell it, and sell it cheap enough that another developer picked it up.
Ironically the people who bought it were PWE, that mildly shady Chinese MMO company that also wound up buying Cryptic Games when Atari tried to strangle them. :geno:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

Ironically the people who bought it were PWE, that mildly shady Chinese MMO company that also wound up buying Cryptic Games when Atari tried to strangle them. :geno:

Actually it was GamersFirst who bought it. https://www.engadget.com/2010/11/11/gamersfirst-publisher-purchases-apb/

Edit - here we go http://www.mmobomb.com/news/perfect-world-adds-apb-reloaded-to-arc-platform/

You're just seeing it in PWE's Arc client because they're publishing it in there too for some reason. Despite APB already being on Steam as well.

Moot point really, APB Reloaded is a ongoing viability edge case and the "dev team" (if it still exists) has been silent for months.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 25, 2016

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I didn't even know APB still existed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Watch a video of the Xbox One port of APB if you want to see what might be a contender for worst port of all time.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I didn't say it was good or under super active production, mind you. :v: Just that a game being resurrected from the dead has happened, just that the circumstances of it were the developer literally being forced to sell it, so CoH coming back is never happening unless NCsoft brings it back.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

According to their horrendous website, on the fourth of July they posted this lovely video that showcases nothing but placeholder models and textures, two lore updates, then August 31st they just got the first character model working. Since then, the only updates have been two lore additions and the creation of a single mask item.

So lol. Nope. They haven't even started developing the game itself it seems. They are still struggling with the 3d modeling.

Haha welp. The loving backend and client should be the first thing you do. What do you do when your fancy player customized models run like rear end with 20 people because nothing is optimized?

I feel bad, but I'm entirely sure I brought up that point before their kickstarter, back when the COH thread was still a thing, and there's really nothing more I could have done.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh, huh, my mistake. Also less amusing indirect connections to CoH there, but eh.

And yeah that looks like a disaster area.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Look, if no one was able to buy and ressurect TCoS, an extremely fun and unique MMO with a really cool art style, no one is going to touch Wildstar with a 30 foot pole.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Look, if no one was able to buy and ressurect TCoS, an extremely fun and unique MMO with a really cool art style, no one is going to touch Wildstar with a 30 foot pole.

I had to look up what TCoS was, and I've been playing MMO's since UO.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Wikipedia says it's "TeleSec Chipcard Operating System". Sounds pretty cool.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that's the game with the weird cylinder-based action bar combat right

that game was cool

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It was basically a Fable MMO. You had a set of abilities in rows and columns, every time you hit your attack button you'd roll the column forward to the next row, using your mouse wheel you could swap on the fly between three or four columns. Basically halfway between Diablo and Guild Wars. It was also one of the first games that did the whole thing where all your gear was purely aesthetic and you instead had gems that gave you stats you just slotted into whatever gear you wanted to. It was run into the ground with a confusing not-quite F2P, not quite sub, model that no one liked and it frankly should have launched as a F2P game or a but it once game with heavy store support. They really hosed up their revenue stream by releasing a sub based MMO in 2008 and then sticking to their guns viciously about not making it go F2P. Why you wouldn't have an extensive cash shop for a game where every piece of gear is cosmetic is baffling and that alone should have kept it afloat but they didn't do anything like that and it floundered and died. They managed to sell it to some shady Chinese company who kept some asian server going for a few months before selling it off to Disney of all people back when Disney was trying to build an MMO empire on the backs of Pirates of the Caribbean Online and other garbage. Oh and it was published by Acclaim, so you can imagine how well that went in 2008 to 2010.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I miss Tabula Rasa.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

I miss Tabula Rasa.

I only played the beta but that seemed pretty cool.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tabula Rasa was the one where they literally sent RIchard Garriott into space so they could gently caress him out of the rights?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Yep. Richard went to space as an advertisement for the game, and then while he was in quarantine NCSoft released an open statement claiming that he "resigned". He didn't.

He sued them and won $28 million dollars though, so hey.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The Moon Monster posted:

The game was awesome in beta. A week before release they severely weakened the player character so the game became a slog. Cherish your memories of beta.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Yep. Richard went to space as an advertisement for the game, and then while he was in quarantine NCSoft released an open statement claiming that he "resigned". He didn't.

He sued them and won $28 million dollars though, so hey.

I loved their attempt at saying that he signed his rights off while he was in space. And he said no I didn't because I was in space.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

randombattle posted:

I loved their attempt at saying that he signed his rights off while he was in space. And he said no I didn't because I was in space.

That's always been my favorite part of this. Why would he resign while filming an advertisement that was so big they actually sent him to space?

The picked the one single time that it was literally impossible for him to resign to say he resigned.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Don't MMOs have scaling costs? I imagine an MMO like WIldstar is fairly cheap to maintain when it's like two servers and a severely gutted development team.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

Don't MMOs have scaling costs? I imagine an MMO like WIldstar is fairly cheap to maintain when it's like two servers and a severely gutted development team.

I would imagine, yeah. I mean lots of WoW private servers have populations and uptime greater than Wildstar and run on a couple hundred bucks of donations every month. I imagine they could, at this point, just shunt it onto a pretty cheap amazon server and as long as it keeps pulling in a few grand a month not give a gently caress about it. Honestly, in the hands of another company the game could probably be a minor success, cutting the grind wouldn't be that hard and the game has a lot of options for non-invasive monetization.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

The Moon Monster posted:

It had a lot of good ideas I really wanted to mess with (class break points, sci fi settings, a early version of the GW2 group events) but never got around too it and then BLAM cancelled.

Really wonder if it would have survived as a F2P game now a days.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

jabro posted:

The game was awesome in beta. A week before release they severely weakened the player character so the game became a slog. Cherish your memories of beta.

My lady shot a million lightning bolts from her hands and shot a hot load of justice with her shotgun.
If only new MMOs fully veered into action games instead of toolbar crap. Black Desert does that a bit but the whole game is very confusing.

Remember Auto Assault?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

Remember Auto Assault?

I remember the trailer. That's about it.

The gameplay video I watched looking incredibly boring TBH.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I would imagine, yeah. I mean lots of WoW private servers have populations and uptime greater than Wildstar and run on a couple hundred bucks of donations every month. I imagine they could, at this point, just shunt it onto a pretty cheap amazon server and as long as it keeps pulling in a few grand a month not give a gently caress about it. Honestly, in the hands of another company the game could probably be a minor success, cutting the grind wouldn't be that hard and the game has a lot of options for non-invasive monetization.

tbh remove prohibative rune costs, and make the system simple, do away with amps/ability tier points and adjust the difficulty in a few places and it would be a perfectly serviceable mmo.

The problem is there's no one thing that makes people quit, it's the death of 1000 minor annoyances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Black desert is extremely good until you hit endgame and literally grind the same mobs for months. It nailed action mmo, but unfortunately it also nailed Korean slogfest at the end

• Locked thread