Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I guess it is a bit early, the Chinese company Le Eco ( i have no idea if this is a good company) is offering a flagship phone Le Pro 3 for $400 that boasts the same Snapdragon 821 cpu. Anandtech does a mini review Here . Apparently the store is offering people a $100 savings on this if you sign up early and then buy it on the 11/2 release date. http://us.lemall.com/us/index.html

A flagship phone for $300 seems like a good deal. Does anyone have an opinion on this, whether it's a good idea or bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Country/Provider: Canada Virgin mobile

Current contract status: bring your own device

Budget (phone/plan): not pixel money

Trying to decide between the Axon 7 and the One Plus 3, can someone help convince me to pick one over the other?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lube banjo posted:

I guess it is a bit early, the Chinese company Le Eco ( i have no idea if this is a good company) is offering a flagship phone Le Pro 3 for $400 that boasts the same Snapdragon 821 cpu. Anandtech does a mini review Here . Apparently the store is offering people a $100 savings on this if you sign up early and then buy it on the 11/2 release date. http://us.lemall.com/us/index.html

A flagship phone for $300 seems like a good deal. Does anyone have an opinion on this, whether it's a good idea or bad idea?

I... can't tell if this is a joke.

On the chance that it isn't, if you're the kind of person who thinks that everything is more or less the same and that buying from a mostly anonymous Chinese OEM sounds like a great idea if you can save a couple hundred dollars, then I guess go for it. If you're kind of person who instinctively knows what a bad idea sounds like, then avoid it.

ColonelMoutard
May 24, 2004
anyone have any experience with Meizu? While I can't really get behind spending 3-400$ on a chinese brand phone, a cheap midrange phone w/ fingerprint reader for ~140$ shipped is chepa enough to take a chance.

http://www.fonearena.com/blog/195087/meizu-u10-and-u20-with-fingerprint-sensor-4g-lte-announced.html

Also it's a 5 inch screen which is getting harder to find these days

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ColonelMoutard posted:

anyone have any experience with Meizu? While I can't really get behind spending 3-400$ on a chinese brand phone, a cheap midrange phone w/ fingerprint reader for ~140$ shipped is chepa enough to take a chance.

http://www.fonearena.com/blog/195087/meizu-u10-and-u20-with-fingerprint-sensor-4g-lte-announced.html

It runs this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yun_OS which seems to be a distant fork of Android with their own virtual machine and almost certainly malware-infested store.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

jfc just buy a moto g play

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ColonelMoutard posted:

Looks like a piece of poo poo. Get an iPhone 7.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress me. AT&T iPhone user on the grandfathered unlimited plan. Used to have an iPhone 6, waited for the 7 announcement, decided it wasn't for me, and bought an SE on a Next (Every Year?) plan, along with AppleCare. Lost the SE in a cab three weeks later. I've exhausted Find My iPhone, cab company support, and police lost+found. The chances of getting my phone back are slim to none. I'm back to my old iPhone 6 with a cracked screen.

My questions:

1) Is there anything I can do to recoup my losses? I can't think of anything. AT&T certainly doesn't care and I know AppleCare doesn't cover lost/stolen. I doubt I have a credit card with insurance that will cover me.

2) Am I stuck with this iPhone 6 and an AT&T next payment for another two years? It's my understanding that Next Every Year requires me to turn in the existing phone at the one year mark.

Basically I'm pretty sure this adds up to an $800+ cab ride ($600 phone, $100 AppleCare, $130 screen repair), but thought I'd see if I'm missing anything. Keep an eye on your new phones, people!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Do you have homeowners/renters insurance? That might be covered. I had mine stolen and my renters insurance covered the full cost of it.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Country/Provider: US / Ting (open to any service that fits my needs)

Current contract status: Month-to-month

Budget (phone/plan): I'd pay $100 for a hotspot / $60-100 per month? (see below)

Features I know I want:

I work from home teaching online - using Adobe Connect (which sometimes requires two-way video chat) and Skype at the same time. I would like to take advantage of the flexibility (generally about a week out, I can take a day or more off each week) my job offers in order to travel the country. But I am very nervous about arriving somewhere - motel or friend's crash pad - only to find out they don't have good wifi. Even though my schedule is flexible when I give notice, if I do have a lesson scheduled and I miss it due to technical issues, I could lose my job before too long. I could use others' wifi (or hell, even public library wifi) for parts of the job, but I would need a hotspot device with a fast connection for peace of mind.

Is 4G fast enough to do what I want? I only make $800-900 per month (I'd pick up other gigs as I was traveling around), so there's no way I could afford more than, say, $100 for this data plan. Is what's fast enough also affordable for me?

"That is completely infeasible" is a truly helpful answer. I've been passively wondering about this for months.

edit: wait what I want is actually a broadband USB stick, not a hotspot, right? I only need access on my laptop

Mortley fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 23, 2016

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Are you sure you want to pay more than a tenth of your income just for a data plan? Video calling uses a serious amount of data (easily 500MB+ per hour), so your plan needs to have a decent volume.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I love my LG g2, it was the best phone I've owned, but the touchscreen is slowly going

should I grab a pixel?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GET MY BELT SON posted:

I love my LG g2, it was the best phone I've owned, but the touchscreen is slowly going

should I grab a pixel?

Yeah.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

thanks for your quick response

final question

does the home screen auto rotate like mine used to do before a patch some years ago?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

GET MY BELT SON posted:

thanks for your quick response

final question

does the home screen auto rotate like mine used to do before a patch some years ago?

Not unless you use a custom launcher last time I heard. You should still get a Pixel if you're looking for a top of the line Android phone though.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I'm in the exact same boat, I'd probably use my g2 for another year but the center-bottom portion of my touchscreen no longer functions. It was slowing down but a factory reset put it back in shape. It's a good phone.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
So I'm on my family's AT&T next plan and my Note 4 is pretty much done. I've only had Notes so I have no idea what to get next since the 7 is history. I want the Pixel so bad they aren't offering it and I don't want an iPhone. And to be honest, I'm kind of sick of Samsung in general.

What are some options for larger phones? I hate my gorilla hands sometimes. At&t has such a poor selection from what I can see so I'm at a loss besides just getting the S7

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Pixel direct from Google?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah get a Pixel from Google. Buy and sell an iPhone if necessary to get the funds

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Spilled coffee on my iPhone 6 yesterday

Country/Provider: us/vzw

Current contract status: idk I'm on some weird business shares plan but I can upgrade to an iPhone 7 or Pixel for $300

Budget (phone/plan): $300 for the phone

Features I know I want: camera and battery life are my priorities. I'm not a heavy app user. Are there any Android phones I should look at besides the Pixel? I absolutely hate dealing with crap ware and would want regular updates.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

Spilled coffee on my iPhone 6 yesterday

Country/Provider: us/vzw

Current contract status: idk I'm on some weird business shares plan but I can upgrade to an iPhone 7 or Pixel for $300

Budget (phone/plan): $300 for the phone

Features I know I want: camera and battery life are my priorities. I'm not a heavy app user. Are there any Android phones I should look at besides the Pixel? I absolutely hate dealing with crap ware and would want regular updates.

Just check your plan. On the new plans getting the phone for $300 is normally not as good of a deal as the device payment. On most of the old plans, the new plans are cheaper anyway. Post your plan and I can tell you what the best way to purchase phone is.

And no, you should get either the Pixel or iPhone. I think overall he recommendations here will be:

Best phone: iPhone or Pixel

Cheap phone: Moto G4

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

If camera is your top priority, your best options are an iPhone 7 Plus, Pixel/Pixel XL, or Samsung Galaxy S7. Of the three, I'd suggest the Pixel since you don't want an iPhone.

Thank you, after some research of my own, I ordered a Pixel XL (it's on backorder) today! 6 weeks can't come soon enough.

Looking at cases, I'm thinking the lifeproof fre. Its a little pricy, but I figure no sense in cheaping out on protection for an almost $900 phone, especially since I work in an environment that can be hazardous to phones. Any other suggestions from anyone?

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Let me un-recommend you a phone - the LG G5.

I've had a G4 and a G2 before that. I loved the G2 but hated the non-swappable battery and lack of SD slot. The G4 was classy as gently caress, and the answer to my problems, except it was a little too big for my stubby fingers and had a weird Wi-Fi IP v6 issue, but all in all it served me well until I dropped it face down and the screen glass shattered. To its credit, the phone still worked great, even with the blood from my shredded fingertips seeping inside when I couldn't resist using it later!

The G4 was my company-provided rig, so I called Asurion, the insurance provider. I could get the G4 or I could get the G5 for the same replacement fee. I figured more Gs are gooder so I got the G5.

Meh.

Smaller, dimmer screen, sharp edges where the case back meets the phone body, you need a special tool to eject the SD card holder, USB-C port instead of Micro-USB so all of my cables are obsolete now. Stupidest of all, they kept the power button on the back, which I loved on my other G#s , but they moved the loving volume up/down buttons to the side, where I'm constantly hitting them, and they feel like cheap poo poo. Design language motherfuckers, do you speak it? It feels like some cheap Chinese trash knockoff.

I assumed that the G5 would be better than the G4, as it was an improvement over the G2. Nope.

The_Raven fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 26, 2016

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
None of the best phones have had removable batteries in ages, I'm not sure why people are continually disappointed about this.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Just check your plan. On the new plans getting the phone for $300 is normally not as good of a deal as the device payment. On most of the old plans, the new plans are cheaper anyway. Post your plan and I can tell you what the best way to purchase phone is.

And no, you should get either the Pixel or iPhone. I think overall he recommendations here will be:

Best phone: iPhone or Pixel

Cheap phone: Moto G4

It's a MORE EVERY UNL TLK&TXT 6GB from a business I'm still loosely affiliated with. I forget how much I pay; usually 55-75 depending on overage I think.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

It's a MORE EVERY UNL TLK&TXT 6GB from a business I'm still loosely affiliated with. I forget how much I pay; usually 55-75 depending on overage I think.

Oh I missed the business part. Personally, any business plan that old should def be looked at, but I'm guessing that won't worry to you. If they'll let you upgrade on two year contract and the company pays the monthly plan, then yeah, get a two year contract.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

Psycho Society posted:

None of the best phones have had removable batteries in ages, I'm not sure why people are continually disappointed about this.

To answer the question you didn't ask, there's no substitute for taking a weekend trip and just packing 3 extra batteries and never having to think twice about when I can charge next. I've also been able to keep my Note 2 for 4 years without the battery life going to poo poo by just buying a new $20 battery every year or so. Yes, there are trade-offs, but they're ones I'm willing to make. If that's not something you need, fine, but i do.

What I don't get is people's refusal to consider use cases other than their own. Do you expect people to get less disappointed as companies continue to refuse to make phones with a feature that they personally prioritize over everything else?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

While I can agree in principle with the idea that it'd be nice to not have to get rid of a perfectly good phone because of a perfectly bad battery, there is the issue that one or two years down the line you might have a tough time finding a non-counterfeit battery unless you have one of the few popular models.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Gay Bean posted:

To answer the question you didn't ask, there's no substitute for taking a weekend trip and just packing 3 extra batteries and never having to think twice about when I can charge next. I've also been able to keep my Note 2 for 4 years without the battery life going to poo poo by just buying a new $20 battery every year or so. Yes, there are trade-offs, but they're ones I'm willing to make. If that's not something you need, fine, but i do.

As LastInLine said, I'd be nervous about buying a replacement battery, especially a cheapo one. As for taking a weekend trip, agreed in principle, but I've found a battery pack to be essentially an identical replacement for removable batteries. The removable part is nice so that you can pop in a fully charged one when needed, rather than charging up the one that's in the phone, but I haven't had an issue either just charging at night or during the day just putting phone and battery pack into backpack for a little bit to let it recharge some. As you say, if you're convinced you need removable batteries, that's fine too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Reiche posted:

So I'm on my family's AT&T next plan and my Note 4 is pretty much done. I've only had Notes so I have no idea what to get next since the 7 is history. I want the Pixel so bad they aren't offering it and I don't want an iPhone. And to be honest, I'm kind of sick of Samsung in general.

What are some options for larger phones? I hate my gorilla hands sometimes. At&t has such a poor selection from what I can see so I'm at a loss besides just getting the S7

I bought the Pixel straight from Google with their financing for the same reasons as you, their phone selection has gone to complete poo poo over the past year or so.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Any recommendations for a phone for an outdoorsy type person? One of the wifes friends is looking for something that can deal with a bit of outdoors life. She's got an iPhone 5C that's dying currently, but really doesn't give a poo poo about what OS - as long as she can facebook, take photos, read her email and text, she's good. I'm not sure if recommending her an actual rugged phone is the best bet, or just a decent but cheap Android of some sort, a good otterbox, and save the money towards a new phone in a couple of years if the one she gets dies.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Used iphone SE or 6s + case would seem like a good bet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Gay Bean posted:

What I don't get is people's refusal to consider use cases other than their own. Do you expect people to get less disappointed as companies continue to refuse to make phones with a feature that they personally prioritize over everything else?

Like others said, Mophie or Anker backup batteries do the same thing. It's more that, for better or worse removable batteries aren't coming back so no point bitching about it.

Siochain posted:

Any recommendations for a phone for an outdoorsy type person? One of the wifes friends is looking for something that can deal with a bit of outdoors life. She's got an iPhone 5C that's dying currently, but really doesn't give a poo poo about what OS - as long as she can facebook, take photos, read her email and text, she's good. I'm not sure if recommending her an actual rugged phone is the best bet, or just a decent but cheap Android of some sort, a good otterbox, and save the money towards a new phone in a couple of years if the one she gets dies.

iPhone SE with Lifeproof case would be the best cheap phone option. It'll last way longer than the $200 android phones.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Psycho Society posted:

Removable battery ended up being a must for me. I bought 2 phones the same, one for personal, one for my small business (in my location/industry, most clients contact through whatsapp, can't run 2 whatsapp even with dual sim unless you go 3rd party apps which I won't do)

I have a good sim with unlimited internet and a cheap sim with no internet.

I use one phone as a hotspot all day (I visit clients' offices so am on the go all day). When it gets to about 45% the non-hotspot phone will stil be above 92%. I swap the batteries over and keep on trucking. I could easily get over 24 hours of quite high use and hotspotting like this.

I have used external battery packs a lot before and in my bag or pocket it gets jostled a lot and fucks the recharge usb slot up, or the battery pack is poo poo and dies way before the phone battery, plus it's bulky and awkward to carry round.

Removable batteries rock.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Phone's wireless chip is dying (Samsung Galaxy S5).

Can I just buy another new S5 or do these things have a shelf life or hard end-of-life point coming up? I need something affordable and reliable and I already have an otter case for the S5. T-Mobile & NE US, if that matters- need it primarily for work emails and navigation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

At two years old, I wouldn't expect any more system updates, though they might get another year of security updates if Samsung is feeling generous. For not a whole lot more than used ones are seeking, you could get a new Moto G4, though.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The Moto g4 owns hard and will be getting nougat soon. I use it for navigation all the time with no issue, emails come through fine as well. Battery life is excellent to boot

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 30, 2016

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Wife and I are on an AT&T (grandfathered) unlimited data plan, with 200 texts, and too many minutes we don't use. After discounts, we pay approximately $140 per month total.

I take public transportation to/from work, so that results in a heavy amount of music and video streaming for me. Wife barely touches her data in comparison:

Looking to get recommendations on plans to consider moving forward. I have benefitted from the unlimited data but obviously it's a non-issue for my wife. Open to new suggestions.

Country/Provider: USA / AT&T

Current contract status: Expired Grandfathered unlimited data, 200 texts, etc.

Budget (phone/plan): Ideally we would spend less than what we currently pay.

Features I know I want: iOS is preferable (though we're open minded) as we've had Apple devices for what feels like a decade. I'm comfortable with iPhone 6 dimensions; wife prefers those of iPhone 5.

Thanks!

edit: Currently on AT&T but open to new carriers if they get good service in the DC area and Texas.

Tortilla Maker fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 1, 2016

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My short, somewhat snarky answer is for you to get a phone with TONS of storage and get a cheaper data plan. Download your movies and music over wifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tortilla Maker posted:

Wife and I are on an AT&T (grandfathered) unlimited data plan, with 200 texts, and too many minutes we don't use. After discounts, we pay approximately $140 per month total.

I take public transportation to/from work, so that results in a heavy amount of music and video streaming for me. Wife barely touches her data in comparison:

Looking to get recommendations on plans to consider moving forward. I have benefitted from the unlimited data but obviously it's a non-issue for my wife. Open to new suggestions.

Country/Provider: USA / AT&T

Current contract status: Expired Grandfathered unlimited data, 200 texts, etc.

Budget (phone/plan): Ideally we would spend less than what we currently pay.

Features I know I want: iOS is preferable (though we're open minded) as we've had Apple devices for what feels like a decade. I'm comfortable with iPhone 6 dimensions; wife prefers those of iPhone 5.

Thanks!

edit: Currently on AT&T but open to new carriers if they get good service in the DC area and Texas.

Honestly I don't think you can go cheaper on postpaid. If you stay on ATT you might as well keep the same plan, you would just have to buy whatever phone outright.

Verizon:
$90 for 16GB+4GB bonus. That 20 should be enough but it's close. It's $110 for 24GB+4GB
$20 per line.
$90 + $20 + $20 = $130. Subtract like, $15 for whatever discount you likely qualify for since you have one on ATT. So about the same as ATT, slightly less if you cut data a bit I guess.

Just like ATT above, add phone price.

Otherwise, you should look at Cricket. It's ATT so you know the coverage. T-Mobile isn't likely to be as good throughout Texas, although in cities they are fine.

Phone wise your wife should get an iPhone SE, you should get an iPhone 7.