Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I guess but it'd be an awful lot of authorization for Guinness. In-game time would be unreliable because TMR's had bugged time issues and often stops the game timer late because he's unsure if he beat the game. Real world time would be easier because there's just a stop/start to the challenge and he's got Youtube videos of all his wins(he's about 150 behind on those but he constantly uploads them) but he takes days off all the time so the time he's taken to do NESmania wouldn't really reflect how long he spent on it. I don't know, I can think of a million ways it'd be a pain to get an accurate reading of how long it took him and Guinness takes that stuff seriously so they'd investigate it all.

What I think they could probably give him is being the first person to ever beat them all which, I think, is true(or he's at least the first person to 100% document it). I know awhile back he started allowing spoilers from the get go on most games because another person had started doing the same challenge and he didn't want that guy to beat him to finishing.

It's going to get pretty crazy when he gets down to single digits and he'll probably get some legit (internet) press out of it.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If you want a Guinness record you need to register and let them judge the criteria before you start your record attempt. They also don't record firsts as records unless it's something really exceptional.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you know what id like is a shared goon twitch that just hosts whoever is actually streaming

i don't do anything on twitch except watch some people on speedrunslive but id like to watch goons if I could be bothered

i think the only person I consistently look for is halfcoordinated, but i forget about that too sometimes

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Lmao, Distortion2 did a "viewer speedrun" of Bloodborne where he went through the game normally but called in stream viewers to kill all of the bosses for him. It took 7 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAasiipeuCI

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Internet Friend posted:

If you want a Guinness record you need to register and let them judge the criteria before you start your record attempt. They also don't record firsts as records unless it's something really exceptional.

It could get picked up in some of their gaming editions. They're a bit more flexible with that since Guinness isn't normally a gaming thing. Also who the gently caress cares if it's a Guinness record??

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

HILLARY CURES DEPLORABLES posted:

you know what id like is a shared goon twitch that just hosts whoever is actually streaming

i don't do anything on twitch except watch some people on speedrunslive but id like to watch goons if I could be bothered

i think the only person I consistently look for is halfcoordinated, but i forget about that too sometimes

This could work now that auto host is a thing.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Studio posted:

It could get picked up in some of their gaming editions. They're a bit more flexible with that since Guinness isn't normally a gaming thing. Also who the gently caress cares if it's a Guinness record??

Me, I was the guy who asked the question about Guinness cause they were a certified big deal even I was growing up and it would be kool imho.

Edit: if two retards flipping m&ms off their ears into a mouth was a feat of mythical proportions worthy of international regard then so can playing lots of video games good.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

Me, I was the guy who asked the question about Guinness cause they were a certified big deal even I was growing up and it would be kool imho.

Edit: if two retards flipping m&ms off their ears into a mouth was a feat of mythical proportions worthy of international regard then so can playing lots of video games good.

You're right it would be cool :negative:.

Though if he finishes this thing I imagine it would get a pretty neat burst of press.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

The speedrun records in Guinness are generally pretty weird. Like, they'll somehow retrieve a run that was a record for 8 hours 2 years ago.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Boogalo posted:

It could, but like most goons in speedrunning have their own crowds that they run with and host and stuff already.

I've been wanting to remake the OP for some time and include some sort of goon speedrunner directory to go with it, but that never really went anywhere?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Boogalo posted:

A combination of auto-host and an IRC bot could do it. Be neat to set up the bot to show all goons currently streaming, then let people vote to change channels if more than one goon is streaming.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
538 (you know, the political poll site) just did a surprisingly in-depth article on the SMB1 speedrun scene.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/people-are-making-super-mario-go-faster-than-ever/

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Internet Friend posted:

You must not read the gaming edition

They pulled times off sda and speedrun.com that were incredibly out of date by publication time (most sda runs are before they're even published to sda, and they make no claims of runs on their site being world records)

They also handed out fluff "firsts" left and right like first 3d sonic game or something lol

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

The last time I checked, a lot of those fluff records you can't even submit for.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Didn't catch anyone talking about it in here, but this weekend is the Arcade Superplay Expo from Twitch HQ, a marathon centered around skilled arcade game play and also raising money for Save the Children. Several GDQ regulars like PJ, MURPHAGATOR!, Zallard1 and KevinDDR will be in attendance, among other players.

Stream page
Schedule

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

The Rokstar posted:

538 (you know, the political poll site) just did a surprisingly in-depth article on the SMB1 speedrun scene.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/people-are-making-super-mario-go-faster-than-ever/

I enjoyed this article, thank you.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

The Rokstar posted:

This is really well put together, Ive never really read 538 so i decided to see what other "culture" posts they had... Bad idea

SnP when's shuriken?

Everyone else, Ive been playing this gameboy jam5 game called shuriken and its really really good and also really good for running
https://rxi.itch.io/shuriken

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 21, 2016

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

SeXReX posted:

SnP when's shuriken?

Everyone else, Ive been playing this gameboy jam5 game called shuriken and its really really good and also really good for running
https://rxi.itch.io/shuriken

Maybe soon! I actually quite like the game. Been chatting with Squid about it and stuff.

good recommendation imo sometimes sexrex nails it

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Maybe soon! I actually quite like the game. Been chatting with Squid about it and stuff.

good recommendation imo sometimes sexrex nails it

waiting a bit might be worth it. Word on the twitter DMs is that the dev is adding actual reset support (instead of a private patch we use) as well as some softlock fixes, rebindable keys/controller support and the option to display a timer.

I haven't done much looking into this one yet but this also looks like it has pretty good speedpotential
https://cstoquer.itch.io/monkey-warp

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 21, 2016

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/790020588152639488

Nobody? Really? :v:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

didn't want to double post

RXI updated shuriken with the reset button, a show timer button and a hot new harder difficulty where on top of only 1hp you only get 1 shuriken to keep track of. Still no controller or rebinding support but what I gather from indie devs is that both of those are actually dark magic rituals, even if all you're supporting is xinput devices.

I got this run in Hard mode right after blowing a run that would have cut my Normal mode PB :(
https://www.twitch.tv/seckswrecks/v/96801641

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
How much money from the next GDQ be spent on actual cancer prevention?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Dizz posted:

Well no one there is getting laid so it will do wonders for cervical cancer prevention.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

awwww yeah there's a 4 hour feasel run :getin:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Well no one there is getting laid so it will do wonders for cervical cancer prevention.

But the cancer that is the speedrunning community will continue to grow.

Kill the Animals

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Undertale is the finale and I'm so excited for how much cash it should raise.

Kill the anime. Animals are not real.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Dizz posted:

Not enough to prevent your posts.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Boogalo posted:

:drat:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Didn't see it posted yet, and its almost over but there is and arcade game marathon going on. https://www.twitch.tv/superplay
Just missed thread favorite KevinDDR playing some weird predecessor to wario ware. So yea, by the time you click that link you will have missed everything.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Well it does have a sticky thread for itself.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really interested to see what the La-Mulana run will end up looking like by AGDQ with the new clipping glitch that was found.

e: Is Dark Souls 3 current patch or old patch? Given that they've allocated over an hour for it I'm assuming current patch but I don't know.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Demicol posted:

Well it does have a sticky thread for itself.
I mostly stick to my bookmarks and really read the main forums.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

eSporks posted:

I mostly stick to my bookmarks and really read the main forums.
iast posted about it on this page and The Kins posted about it one page ago

I'm confused because I didn't think it was possible that dram played anything other than Mario games (Joe and Mac 2, Monday 11AM Eastern). Also, seeing Mario Paint fly swatting on there made me laugh (Monday 1:53 PM Eastern)

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

So they did. Missed it somehow, sorry.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Boogalo posted:

I'l accept it.

Seriously though. gonna feel sick when they keep saying to find it in my heart to donate when a big majority of that money goes into someone's pocket.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dizz posted:

I'l accept it.

Seriously though. gonna feel sick when they keep saying to find it in my heart to donate when a big majority of that money goes into someone's pocket.

gently caress off with this concern trolling.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I'm excited for AwfulGDQ as usual. Some real gems I recognize, maybe a couple hidden ones, and a peaches_ run; what more could you want? I'm also up for MGS 2 on EuroExtreme and Hitman:Blood Money Pro/SA for the 'stealth'/clown fiesta both will end up looking like. I secretly pray for more Super Metroid disaster like SGDQ, but I know that's probably out the window with 100% barring an extreme series of mistakes.

I'm skeptical of Undertale being nearly as good of a finale as Final Fantasy in terms of donations (only one name bidding war instead of multiple, only a couple choices to turn into bidding wars with the choice of ending they are running). Maybe I'm underestimating the depth of the fanbase pocket more than a year after release, I dunno. In terms of the game/run, it's going to end up very similar to any other RPG speedrun, except even less fighting and more map navigation because they'll run from every non-mandatory fight. Unless someone can vouch for the commentary, I will probably tune out after Super Metroid unless they do another bonus run after the last game again. I'll keep hoping that PJ running 7th Saga in a marathon happens someday; the game's unique difficulty/awfulness combined with PJ's commentary has made it the only JRPG speedrun I've been able to sit through that isn't Pokemon glitchfest%.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm hoping that the SM 100% isn't sad times for sad boys like SGDQ this last time.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Floodkiller posted:

Maybe I'm underestimating the depth of the fanbase pocket more than a year after release, I dunno.

You almost certainly are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dizz posted:

I'l accept it.

Charitywatch has their overhead at 26 percent. Not the best, but it still makes their list of top cancer charities. It's certainly not a majority of the money.

• Locked thread