Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
how many things must i catch to max rewards from the catching game? or does it just keep barfing out things as long as i keep doing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I think there's just one reward

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Blhue posted:

how many things must i catch to max rewards from the catching game? or does it just keep barfing out things as long as i keep doing it?

You just need to get 3, that's all.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
L+A now gives full info on moves? 10/10 best game ever.

Solved my biggest gripe with XY, when they have the whole bloody lower screen for the UI goddamit.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Palladium posted:

L+A now gives full info on moves? 10/10 best game ever.

Solved my biggest gripe with XY, when they have the whole bloody lower screen for the UI goddamit.

It's actually done that for a while. SM just tells you about that function existing in the first place.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's actually done that for a while. SM just tells you about that function existing in the first place.

What the gently caress

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Dr. Fetus posted:

Which brings us to the point why not displaying a few pixels to show a useful keypress is a good idea because

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Pokedexes are very valuable why would you ever put one into battle?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Palladium posted:

Which brings us to the point why not displaying a few pixels to show a useful keypress is a good idea because

It's different and anything different ever will irreversibly kill the franchise, obviously.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I think the L+A move check has been a thing since Gen 4? Gen 5? It's definitely not a recent addition, but it's always good GF is being more transparent about things.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I know for a fact it's in Gen 5, Gen 4 is plausible cuz they're a similar engine but I never played that one lying down in a way that held L. :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

I think the L+A move check has been a thing since Gen 4? Gen 5? It's definitely not a recent addition, but it's always good GF is being more transparent about things.

for real, lmao i had no clue, is it at least in the manual

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Elfgames posted:

Pokedexes are very valuable why would you ever put one into battle?

Because you've completed it.

Therefore, the prize for completing the national dex this game will be RotomDex.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Does the L+A thing mean I won't be able to use L as A any more?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Sockser posted:

Does the L+A thing mean I won't be able to use L as A any more?

I know at least one game has had both, I think it meant you couldn't see the move into if you set it to use L as A.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Hey that guy did that thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtYdnwBXp8M

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Hunter Noventa posted:

I know at least one game has had both, I think it meant you couldn't see the move into if you set it to use L as A.

gen 5 both added the L+A on move feature, as well as removing the L=A button config. but that came back for gen 6, thankfully

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

So I barely understand poke breeding. How do I get a protean froakie to hatch?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

So I barely understand poke breeding. How do I get a protean froakie to hatch?

You would need to breed it from another member of the family who has the hidden ability itself. A female with the hidden ability is preferred, but you can breed a male one with a Ditto. You can get offspring with the standard ability from a Hidden ability parent, but you can't get HA offspring from standard parents.

You could obtain Frogadier with Protean if you have a Friend Safari in X and Y that generates Frogadier but it's probably easier to Wondertrade until you get a Froakie with Protean, or you can ask someone to trade you a spare.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 24, 2016

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Well dang I just restarted X so no safari, but thanks for the tips

That said, anyone got a spare to throw ya boys way?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

You can ask in the Pokemon Trading thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574421

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

You're a helpful person

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That would be another wish for the games, starters without overgrowth/blaze etc again. Or just some way to change the ability later since ability capsules don't work on hidden abilities last gen.

I could just do above but I can't get myself to get rid of my actual starter. :(

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 24, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Avalerion posted:

That would be another wish for the games, starters without overgrowth/blaze etc again. Or just some way to change the ability later since ability capsules don't work on hidden abilities last gen.

Can't have the poopsockers complain about how these pokeman games are getting too welfare yo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Palladium posted:

Can't have the poopsockers complain about how these pokeman games are getting too welfare yo.

i would be shocked if this is the reason why gamefreak makes bad decisions but alright

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Well, he's not wrong.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Countblanc posted:

i would be shocked if this is the reason why gamefreak makes bad decisions but alright

do you know what that guy is saying, cuz i read it like 3 times and i can't figure it out

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
Let there be wild starters, but the ones you are given have their Hidden Abilities.
And those HA are like things Shell Armor, Vital Spirit, or Big Pecks

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Think they are just really out of touch or hung up on not changing the status quo, though when it comes to them designing the online features I imagine nintendo is to blame. But since this gen they changed many things I would have thought they would never do, anything is possible.

mandatory lesbian posted:

do you know what that guy is saying, cuz i read it like 3 times and i can't figure it out

That dumb people would complain about the games getting too easy or dumbed down... as some already do about things like the iv checker or "efffective" being shown on moves. :downs:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Avalerion posted:

That dumb people would complain about the games getting too easy or dumbed down... as some already do about things like the iv checker or "efffective" being shown on moves. :downs:

It's always the same old "time invested = skill" and "obfuscation = difficulty" bullshit.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Alternatively, implement a hard mode, but have any starter you get in hard mode have it's Hidden Ability.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hard mode would own period, even the one in BW2 was a good attempt if they had not screwed up the unlock method.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Honestly, the Professor shouldn't be able to give you a Pokemon until you demonstrate to him that you've mastered the type chart and know what the majority of moves and abilities do already.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if you pick litten or owl the professor knows you're good to go, if you pick popplio he enables the L+A/type effectiveness in the move list stuff

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Honestly, the Professor shouldn't be able to give you a Pokemon until you demonstrate to him that you've mastered the type chart and know what the majority of moves and abilities do already.

i'd never get a pokemon in this case :(

are they ever gonna put in a version of the type chart in-game or am i gonna have to have bulbapedia open all the time again

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Kerrrrrrr posted:

are they ever gonna put in a version of the type chart in-game or am i gonna have to have bulbapedia open all the time again

It's not as necessary now that effectiveness is listed right on the move button, but given the QoL changes it wouldn't surprise me if there's a way to look it up in the final game.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zonekeeper posted:

It's not as necessary now that effectiveness is listed right on the move button, but given the QoL changes it wouldn't surprise me if there's a way to look it up in the final game.

oh yeah that will probably help me a lot.

abilities i got no clue on but i know those are in the game at least.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

mabels big day posted:

I actually want to see a gen start with you in school. Your required tutorial will be you passing the final exam for your trainer license with some easy questions and a rental battle with a taste of power before choosing your actual starter and striking out on your own. It'd show that the whole trainer system has some organization behind it and be a nice change of pace from being just some fatherless kid with no education leaving their mother right after moving to a new three-building "town" on a whim once more. We have all these trainer schools around, might as well actually use one for once. Plus, it'd be a great way to establish some other characters to act as the required friends and rivals rather than just assigning you a group of clingy losers like last gen. The potential of the next tree-based Professor living up to their title for teaching and justifying why they trust this random kid to aid them while passing out a free super-rare pokemon would be nice as well.

I'm seriously surprised they never thought of doing that kind of intro in 20 years.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 24, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

oddium posted:

if you pick litten or owl the professor knows you're good to go, if you pick popplio he enables the L+A/type effectiveness in the move list stuff

Not a bad compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Kerrrrrrr posted:

There was a type effectiveness lookup program on that Casio wristwatch from Gen 4 I think.