Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

My condolences for your loss.

From buying guitar equipment, I've learned the best way to get cigarette smells out of cases (vinyl wrapped outsides and cloth/material insides) is clean with warm soapy water, douse with baking soda and let it sit in the sun for awhile. Then wipe/vacuum out the baking soda and let it sit some more in the sun. Obviously, you need to be careful with water around cartridges (both the labels and the contacts), so I'm not sure what to tell you there. I'd get some cotton balls/pads and alcohol and get any smoke coating off. Then let it sit in the sun for a bit, just not so long to fade anything (a few hours won't hurt it). Cords are easy, just wipe down with the warm soapy water or even Clorox wipes do pretty well.

It'd be a pretty tedious task to take out each insert for the PS1-PS3 game cases and clean then, especially making sure the area under the slip cover is dry before you put the inserts back in. So maybe just giving a wipe down with clorox wipes, letting them sit in the open air/direct sunlight for a bit and then packing them in a new box with dryer sheets between the game cases and leaving them for a week or so may be a good start.

tl;dr: sunlight, baking soda, warm soapy water, clorox wipes, and more sunlight.. also alcohol to clean any cartridges and contact

While I'm sure it helps with the smell, note that sunlight can yellow your beige consoles and accessories. (Of course, they may already be stained from the smoke, so it might be a moot point)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Zonekeeper posted:

While I'm sure it helps with the smell, note that sunlight can yellow your beige consoles and accessories. (Of course, they may already be stained from the smoke, so it might be a moot point)

Ya, that's what I was thinking. Though I doubt leaving them in the sun over a weekend would do much damage since it isn't long term, labels would get the most damage in that period but still isn't long enough to have that much of an effect, I wouldn't think at least.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hey guys of this thread, I'm incredibly lazy, but I have some questions.

I inherited a TG16 and it's been AV modded. With this, do I have any need to buy the Turbo Booster?

Also, what seems to be the draw in the TG16 to make it still moderately expensive to purchase online? I plan on buying the power supply and AV cables in a few days, but I want to buy some games as well. Are there any games you guys would recommend that are cheaper and decent? Everything seems to float around $30 online, but I imagine those are either more popular or more obscure titles.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

LODGE NORTH posted:

Hey guys of this thread, I'm incredibly lazy, but I have some questions.

I inherited a TG16 and it's been AV modded. With this, do I have any need to buy the Turbo Booster?

Also, what seems to be the draw in the TG16 to make it still moderately expensive to purchase online? I plan on buying the power supply and AV cables in a few days, but I want to buy some games as well. Are there any games you guys would recommend that are cheaper and decent? Everything seems to float around $30 online, but I imagine those are either more popular or more obscure titles.

The Turbo Booster, from what I recall, adds stereo audio and composite video, in addition to adding more memory for game saves. If the audio is fine to your ears and you already have composite video output through the mod, then I wouldn't bother ponying up the big bucks. As for the TG16 prices, it was very much a distant third in the US market (and then dropped off the radar completely as NEC gave up the platform and left the market to Nintendo and Sega), so you have a mix of "weird niche console" pricing coupled with a much lower supply of consoles, peripherals, and games compared to the SNES and Genesis.

I'd honestly suggest that you look at getting a Turbo Everdrive flash cart, and then consider getting actual HuCards of anything that really grabs your attention.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Seconding the Turbo Everdrive, I love it.

Nice having every game ever on one card. :v:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Main thing is save ram, it's not built in to the console (except the Duo).

It's super nice to have because without it games give you a code to enter and sometimes it's just insane to type. However the booster itsself, like all other tg16, is quite expensive.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What's the ratio of good games on the PC Engine for the CD vs. the hu-card? Mainly thinking should I fork out the cash for the Duo-R or settle for the white CoreGrafx. (I will probably take the everdrive/CD-R route anyway.)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

falz posted:

Main thing is save ram, it's not built in to the console (except the Duo).

It's super nice to have because without it games give you a code to enter and sometimes it's just insane to type. However the booster itsself, like all other tg16, is quite expensive.

Holy poo poo checking ebay makes me rather happy I got my boxed TG16 + Booster + multitap for like $75 years ago

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

d0s posted:

oh noooo

In Tokyo for a couple of days if you have any recs apart from super potato, tia

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

the wizards beard posted:

In Tokyo for a couple of days if you have any recs apart from super potato, tia

go to BEEP and M.A.K for shopping (MAK is very arcade oriented, BEEP is an incredible experience no matter what retro you're into, there is nowhere else like it and they have things that are hard to find online), Try and Taito HEY (hirose entertainment yard) for arcades with good retro games (go to higher floors, low floors in jp arcades are all trash, it's deceptive). I saw no other places in akiba that had things that I couldnt get online for cheaper. I made sure to only buy things that were hard to get or scalped by internet sellers

edit: in try arcade, the elevator only goes up to 7th floor, be sure to go up one more via the stairs to ascend to heaven

d0s fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 23, 2016

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TeaJay posted:

What's the ratio of good games on the PC Engine for the CD vs. the hu-card? Mainly thinking should I fork out the cash for the Duo-R or settle for the white CoreGrafx. (I will probably take the everdrive/CD-R route anyway.)

There isn't a white CoreGrafx, though? Unless you're thinking of the original PC Engine, which is RF-only by default. I'm kinda-sorta open to selling my RGB-modded CoreGrafx, as a heads up...

I would say that the ratio depends on your level of Japanese proficiency, since a lot of the CD games are RPGs and the like with text-heavy elements. What might be a good game in its own right is going to be pointless to play if you don't really understand it. I'd suggest browsing through a site like The PC Engine Bible and seeing what CD games, if any, stand out to you as being playable and potentially desirable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In historical news, the Ubisoft folks dug up a piece of history that was previously considered lost forever...

Michel Ancel posted:

Incroyable !!!! We have found the old unique SNES Rayman ROM !!!! It was sleeping since 24 years ..... Time to wake it up !!!!

Michel Ancel posted:

It's working !!!! 4 people in the world have seen this . We thought it was lost , but somewhere in the cold electronic circuit , something was still alive . and running at full 60fps !!! should do a Switch version of this 😂

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The fact that they don't know how to punctuate properly gives me even less confidence that they know how to dump a ROM of it. It's going to rot on that board.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

The fact that they don't know how to punctuate properly gives me even less confidence that they know how to dump a ROM of it. It's going to rot on that board.

Do you know who Michel Ancel is?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BattleMaster posted:

Yes I'm sure the French developer doesn't know how to dump a ROM of his own game.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

There isn't a white CoreGrafx, though? Unless you're thinking of the original PC Engine, which is RF-only by default. I'm kinda-sorta open to selling my RGB-modded CoreGrafx, as a heads up...

I would say that the ratio depends on your level of Japanese proficiency, since a lot of the CD games are RPGs and the like with text-heavy elements. What might be a good game in its own right is going to be pointless to play if you don't really understand it. I'd suggest browsing through a site like The PC Engine Bible and seeing what CD games, if any, stand out to you as being playable and potentially desirable.

Oh yeah, got the names mixed up. Either the Core grafx, the original PC Engine or Duo-R RGB modded, those are my choices, just gotta decide on whether I want to pay extra for the CD option.

Japanese proficiency is more or less poor, apart from phrases and words learnt from songs, movies and Game Center CX.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 23, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

In historical news, the Ubisoft folks dug up a piece of history that was previously considered lost forever...

This isn't any level from the final game so were they making something original? Somebody better dump this thing!

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TeaJay posted:

Oh yeah, got the names mixed up. Either the Core grafx, the original PC Engine or Duo-R RGB modded, those are my choices, just gotta decide on whether I want to pay extra for the CD option.

Japanese proficiency is more or less poor, apart from phrases and words learnt from songs, movies and Game Center CX.

I'd say the CD option is kind of iffy, then, but I'd really suggest the PC Engine Bible site:

http://www.pcengine.co.uk/index.htm

Go through the alphabetical list of games and see what, if anything, might grab you that's CD-based.

Off-hand, of course, you have the stuff like:

Ai Cho Aniki
Buster Bros / Pomping World
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Forgotten Worlds
Gain Ground SX

Those should be friendly to play, language-wise. Otherwise, it's good to keep in mind that a lot of the CD games are things like RPGs, sports games, visual adventure CDs (based on manga properties), and so on.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
There are a ton of good CD and SCD games requiring little Japanese imo. Bunch of sidescroller beat-em-ups like Shubibinman or Valis, cool puzzle games like Star Mobile or Pop'n Magic.

I have 7 HuCard games compared to 27 CD/SCD games; PC Engine library feels a little meager to me without the CD add-on.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
On the topic of CD-based consoles: MAN am I glad people stopped sharing the games as the data section as a bin plus the cd audio in a bunch of crappy mp3s, that you had to put back together yourself.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
For those that recall the dbGrafix from dbElectronics, Stone Age Gamer picked it and added a case to it.

https://www.facebook.com/StoneAgeGamer/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1521717157844686

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Here are some of the PCE CD games I had for mine that I think made the addon/Duo purchase worth it:

Star Parodia
Rondo of Blood
Lords of Thunder
L-Dis
Monster Lair
Spriggan

Hm, all of those except two are pure shmups. Take that as you will. I didn't have these, but would have liked to:

Gradius 2 (surprisingly good port with an extra stage)
Sapphire (burn it, $$$$$)
Dynastic Hero (it's the PCE version of Wonderboy in Monster World)
Dragon Slayer/Cosmic Fantasy 2 (the only RPGs in English on CD)
Last Alert/Final Zone 2 (top-down run-n-guns)
Iga Ninden Gaiou/Kaze Kiri (ninja-based action games)
Shape Shifter/Shadow of the Beast (Amiga ports of action-platformers)

Here is an old-looking-but-still-functional site where you can browse just the CD games.

fishmech posted:

On the topic of CD-based consoles: MAN am I glad people stopped sharing the games as the data section as a bin plus the cd audio in a bunch of crappy mp3s, that you had to put back together yourself.

I have some that use .ape for the music, I don't think anyone's used that codec for anything in 10+ years. BizHawk comes with a tool to convert these into something more manageable. I need to do this at some point, thanks for reminding me.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

d0s posted:

go to BEEP and M.A.K for shopping (MAK is very arcade oriented, BEEP is an incredible experience no matter what retro you're into, there is nowhere else like it and they have things that are hard to find online), Try and Taito HEY (hirose entertainment yard) for arcades with good retro games (go to higher floors, low floors in jp arcades are all trash, it's deceptive). I saw no other places in akiba that had things that I couldnt get online for cheaper. I made sure to only buy things that were hard to get or scalped by internet sellers

edit: in try arcade, the elevator only goes up to 7th floor, be sure to go up one more via the stairs to ascend to heaven

Exactly the kind of info I was looking for, nice one. I think I'll look at rural book offs if I actually want to buy something

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
So with all the hubbub surrounding Nintendo's new console, I decided it was time to finally pick up a Wii-U, as I always tend to stay at least one generation behind on gaming. I had no idea this thing's gamepad was so awesome for playing Gameboy Advance games on. It's more ergonomic than a 3DS XL, and it has a huge screen compared to anything else. Also, as of right now all firmwares are exploitable, so Virtual Console injects are really easy to get running. I mean, sure, you can't be more than 10-15 feet from the console, but some games just feel better on a handheld form factor. I was excited to play some of the Wii-U games I'd been missing, but all I seem to be doing on this thing is playing Metroid Zero Mission.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Miles McCloud posted:

So with all the hubbub surrounding Nintendo's new console, I decided it was time to finally pick up a Wii-U, as I always tend to stay at least one generation behind on gaming. I had no idea this thing's gamepad was so awesome for playing Gameboy Advance games on. It's more ergonomic than a 3DS XL, and it has a huge screen compared to anything else. Also, as of right now all firmwares are exploitable, so Virtual Console injects are really easy to get running. I mean, sure, you can't be more than 10-15 feet from the console, but some games just feel better on a handheld form factor. I was excited to play some of the Wii-U games I'd been missing, but all I seem to be doing on this thing is playing Metroid Zero Mission.

If you haven't purchased a Nintendo console in a long time I always recommend the Wii U to people. You have the rest of the Wii library and Gamecube if you soft mod (read: you should soft mod), and Nintendo has had a decent output on it.

I really hope they get super weird with the Switch. Nintendo is best when they're weird and encourage other people to get weird. Don't even try to compete with current gen or "core gamers."

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Ya, the Switch is intriguing. I am interested to see what VC support it will have. Hopefully the full Wii and WiiU VC libraries plus more. People are hoping it will be backwards compatible digitally with the 3DS and/or WiiU since they only specified it won't have any physical BC, but I seriously doubt it will have the power to emulate anything and is completely different architecture. Not even sure if it could handle a Dolphin like emulator... Gamecube games on the VC would be great....

Also, my recent vacation racked up some credit card charges and we just found a house today we would like to make an offer on, so I listed some games on SAmart (FF2 w/box+map+manual; FF3+box+map+manual+poster; Lunar2 complete; Shenmue, Mario Sunshine, and newer games) plus a Kiwi green GBC with a glass screen lens, replaced speaker with a GBA speaker and swapped a capacitor that killed off some of the higher frequency hum over headphones (that drat low frequency hum/buzz is still present if your headphones have any sort of noticeable bass). I tried to stick close to eBay auction prices minus eBay fees, but if I was unreasonable, make offers please.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

the wizards beard posted:

Exactly the kind of info I was looking for, nice one. I think I'll look at rural book offs if I actually want to buy something

go to hard offs rather than book offs, way more game stuff

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

d0s posted:

go to hard offs rather than book offs, way more game stuff

Hard off, sup potata was fun and beep was bizarre and really interesting. Everything seems priced above online rates, which I guess shouldn't be too surprising. I was looking for a PC engine and saw about 4 or 5 between a few places, all very expensive. Very few hucards anywhere :confused:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you want good game prices in Japan you gotta interact with real people through the internet or go to places like Book off in small rear end towns where they've had the same stock of three hundred used super famicom games since 1997.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Yep, as I said its not really a surprise. I'll have a chance to look at some more rural places before heading home, but buying a junk console on eBay is probably still the beat option.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

yeah I really avoided buying any console stuff except for DC under defeat which was 5000yen at mandarake for some weird reason. I got a replacement sanwa SWN-7F PSU for my supergun at BEEP (and a cool sanwa logo cell phone charm thing) which is straight impossible to find online and of course the PCB I found at MAK which is dodonpachi, my big purchase of the trip, 88,000yen which is quite a bit less than the ebay scalpers sell it for (they buy em at places like MAK and g-front in the first place).

Suburban hard/book offs are a different story and there are definitley still retro console deals to be found. For me the big attraction of akiba is the fantastic arcades, christ I wish we had places like that in the US.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Ofecks posted:

Sapphire (burn it, $$$$$)

I was looking through game prices on a lark and I'm loving astounded at how Sapphire's price has ballooned over the past few years. Last I checked it hovered around $200-$300, but even Japanese sites have a floor of $550 with CIB copies sometimes hitting $1k. I mean, Sapphire's a great shooter, but drat I'm not used to seeing NeoGeo prices on not-NeoGeo consoles.

On the reverse, Radiant Silvergun prices have pretty much tanked to the oh-so-cheap $100-ish :v:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is the NES 'dogbone' controller worth getting? I am buying a rgb/multi-out NES 2 from Monitor Burn as it not much more then modding my NES...plus I always wanted to get a NES 2 again after having one as a kid. But I forgot it had a new style controller, which Monitorburn didn't have any.

They seem to go for 30 for real ones and 8 for knockoff.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Charles Get-Out posted:

On the reverse, Radiant Silvergun prices have pretty much tanked to the oh-so-cheap $100-ish :v:

$20 more than I spent on it in 1999—that's pretty surprising. It's one of my absolute favorite games, and I was always irritated by how there was kind of a backlash against it when it was at its most unacquirable, but I understood.

Rirse posted:

Is the NES 'dogbone' controller worth getting? I am buying a rgb/multi-out NES 2 from Monitor Burn as it not much more then modding my NES...plus I always wanted to get a NES 2 again after having one as a kid. But I forgot it had a new style controller, which Monitorburn didn't have any.

I still like the feel of the original NES controllers better, but that might just be nostalgia. The dogbone's a perfectly good controller, but I have no experience with the knockoffs.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 24, 2016

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rirse posted:

I prefer the original design. My dogbones have slightly mushy buttons, but I'm not sure if they actually used different rubber or if I just have bad ones. In any case, I don't find them any more comfortable than the originals, even though they look like they should be.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

wa27 posted:

I prefer the original design. My dogbones have slightly mushy buttons, but I'm not sure if they actually used different rubber or if I just have bad ones. In any case, I don't find them any more comfortable than the originals, even though they look like they should be.

I don't like the body of the controller or the angle the A/B buttons are at, but the D-Pad is definitely the star of the show. It's the larger soft-edged SNES-style D-Pad, which is a definite improvement over the small sharp-edged NES d-pad.

It's one of those weird things where a less contoured back would actually help it - the shape would be perfect if the body of the controller was blockier (See: SNES controller).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

my first NES was a toploader back when they were released, I was so used to playing friends' NESes I traded my dogbone for my friend's rectangle because the dogbone felt so weird

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I prefer dogbones to originals, even though I never had a dogbone until recently. The original pads are just painful after a while.

That said, don't get either. Get an 8bitdo Retro Receiver for your NES and SNES, then buy an SNES30 or SFC30 and use it on both your NES and SNES.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

xamphear posted:

I prefer dogbones to originals, even though I never had a dogbone until recently. The original pads are just painful after a while.

That said, don't get either. Get an 8bitdo Retro Receiver for your NES and SNES, then buy an SNES30 or SFC30 and use it on both your NES and SNES.

Think I will go with that instead. It would be the same price as the 'dogbone' and I wouldn't have to stick the NES and SNES halfway across the floor anymore due to the cords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Charles Get-Out posted:

Is that on a Japanese auction site or something? On eBay it seems to have settled around $180-200 CIB w/ spine, with the lone disc-only copy I saw being $150.

• Locked thread