Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Huh, so attacking city states doesn't make you diplomatic poison for the entire game now?

Also, in general how to districts compare to tile improvements? should you be getting districts as fast as possible and razing all your farms and mines?

Warmonger penalties increase as you advance through the eras, with there being no penalty for war in the Ancient Era, so taking them out early (which is also when the fewest people will have connections to them and whatnot) is a good way to go probably.

As for districts, they're really good and also necessary for most buildings (only a few are built in the city center itself), so while you might not go for them "as fast as possible" they're necessary and it's worth thinking of good places for them while planning your city.

splifyphus posted:

tldr; diplomacy is busted, the problems go really deep, don't expect it to get halfway fixed before the first expansion.

Yeah, they definitely need to get in there and work out some things. I think most of the current issues are things that should be relatively easy (auto-refreshing spies and trade routes, adding options for things like the accursed unit cycling), with a few more in-depth things like looking at the balance of Production costs and how fast tech and civics come (I was researching Mars science stuff before finishing my first space project, but admittedly I was Saladin), but diplomacy will take some work. Core ideas are nice, but, they really need to figure some things out.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Roland Jones posted:

Question; does making improvements everywhere, like mines, farms, etc. destroy unrevealed strategic resources, or if you, say, make a mine on a hill that is later revealed to have uranium does it just become a uranium mine, or you have to make a new improvement to get it or whatever? The "blanket your lands in improvements" strategy makes sense but if it wrecks your chances at strategic resources later that wouldn't be ideal.

It becomes a uranium mine. I have no idea what would happen if you built something else on it. I assume it would be destroyed.

That's not even mentioning how really loving rare the last few strategic resources are. I think there were 4-5 sources of uranium on a huge map I was playing and I would guess 10 or so each for aluminum and coal. Thank god I was suzerain with some city states that had some because I had none in my 11 city empire. :negative:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Not clear on how religion works exactly. If I don't found a religion which beliefs do I get when it's spread to my land? Can I still capture the Holy City and count as the founder for founder beliefs? Which beliefs on the list ARE founder beliefs?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

splifyphus posted:

Agendas seem to have been gleened from wikipedia summaries of the leader's historical personas and distilled into abstract gameplay elements

:jerkbag:

I think some agendas are literally just to give them an in character way to play toward their strengths. As an example, Monty hates you for getting luxes he doesn't have to encourage him to go to war for those luxes, because luxes are good for him. You could just give him the luxes to avoid war, which he'd also appreciate. You don't have to invent some narrative about savages or something.

The purpose of agendas is in theory, not just about giving transparency you can manipulate, it's also about drawing up lines in the sand. Philip is going to hate you if you're going for a religious victory because he's your competitor, you're never going to be on good terms because you're directly opposing each other for the win.

How well these are applied in practice is questionable though.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 24, 2016

khy
Aug 15, 2005

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Easy solution to barbarians: the first two things you build are two Slingers. Then go for Archery after you've killed one of them with a slinger and upgrade your Slingers for 30g each. You're now basically immune to Barbarians.

My problem with barbarian was somewhat different.

I was attacking spain because gently caress those guys, had swordsmen up front and archers behind. When suddenly two loving barbarian horsemen show up and gently caress up my archers from nowhere.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So not only does this game use the Snopes-level garbage story about the NASA million dollar pen, but they attribute it to a guy named Will Chabot, whose first Google hits are BrainyQuotes and retweets of other quote sites

They really phoned it in with a lot of the quotes, the wonders/natural wonders have some particularly terrible ones from recent travel books and Some Guy Online

Though I don't really care since I skip them all anyway after a certain point

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It becomes a uranium mine. I have no idea what would happen if you built something else on it. I assume it would be destroyed.

That's not even mentioning how really loving rare the last few strategic resources are. I think there were 4-5 sources of uranium on a huge map I was playing and I would guess 10 or so each for aluminum and coal. Thank god I was suzerain with some city states that had some because I had none in my 11 city empire. :negative:

Good to know. And yeah; the one bit of uranium in my borders in my last game turned out to be, judging from clicking on the revealed resource notification, underneath a district of mine. Though one of my city-states had some so I wound up not needing to worry (and never used it anyway except for that one nuke I didn't need and sent at Rome as a final "gently caress you" before going to space).

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

:jerkbag:

I think some agendas are literally just to give them an in character way to play toward their strengths. As an example, Monty hates you for getting luxes he doesn't have to encourage him to go to war for those luxes, because luxes are good for him. You could just give him the luxes to avoid war, which he'd also appreciate. You don't have to invent some narrative about savages or something.

The purpose of agendas is in theory, not just baout giving transparency you can manipulate, it's also about drawing up lines in the sand. Philip is going to hate you if you're going for a religious victory because he's your competitor, you're never going to be on good terms because you're directly opposing each other for the win.

How well these are applied in practice is questionable though.

Oh, yeah, wow, I didn't actually read the big middle of that post, just skimmed the beginning and end. Jeez.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

khy posted:

The barbarians in this round of civilization are just UNBELEIVABLY irritating. Like raging barbarians is stuck on 100%. gently caress this.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Easy solution to barbarians: the first two things you build are two Slingers. Then go for Archery after you've killed one of them with a slinger and upgrade your Slingers for 30g each. You're now basically immune to Barbarians.

It kinda depends, I've had some really aggressive barbarians that spawn every few turns in the same places. I have mostly eliminated them from my continent because I spent thirty turns fielding scouts to eliminate nearly all of my fog of war, but honestly that's way overkill and shouldn't even be necessary.

Like, I had a camp that required an army that you would normally field to take on an entire enemy civilization, full on cavalry and musketmen tanking for my field guns to break because it kept spawning four industrial-era units every other turn. It wasn't fun, it was just a lovely chore.

e: hey q how do i build forests? what tech do i need? i'm trying to get in good with my buddy roosevelt and his hidden agenda was environmentalist.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 24, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The White Dragon posted:

e: hey q how do i build forests? what tech do i need? i'm trying to get in good with my buddy roosevelt and his hidden agenda was environmentalist.

You need the Conservation civic to let Builders plant new forests. Modern era, so, fairly late in the game.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Remember the AIs are trying to win too, ostensibly, and if you're competing directly against their method of winning they'll denounce then declare war on you to stop you.

The unique agendas are split pretty evenly between "This AI attacks competitors" and "This AI attacks vulnerable opponents". If you start taking away Qin Shi Huang's wonders he'll go to war with you to stop you. If you don't have any spies, Catherine is going to see a juicy target and begin picking on you. If you have few cities and small territory Trajan is going to see you as a potential target for conquest.

I agree that the valuation is way too extreme right now.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
My experience from my first game I'm still playing through:
France constantly denouncing me for breaking a promise about moving units too close to her borders when there were no units within 2 tiles of our SHARED BORDER.
Germany constantly denouncing me for taking one of his cities after he declared war on me and then asked for peace.
China constantly denouncing me because we have different governments.
Scythia flooding one of my cities with apostles trying to convert it and then subsequently getting her poo poo pushed in when I razed her entire civilization to the ground in a holy war. This also caused almost all the other civs to denounce me...
Russia flip flopping between being my friend and denouncing me for being a different government.
Ghandi flip flopping between being my friend and denouncing me for being a different government.
Japan being a pretty chill guy who didn't give a poo poo what I did.

GOTY

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I'm beginning to think that Scientific Victory drags on a bit too much. I could have conquered the entire world in the almost 100 turns I've been building stuff for scientific victory so far, and I'm no where near finished.

Admittedly I did put a man on the moon in like 1925, and in 1933 am working on the first part of the mars station. Technology speeds seem a bit messed up in this, particularly as I didn't even do something like building Campuses in all of my cities, and I'm on my third Future Tech in 1933.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

khy posted:

My problem with barbarian was somewhat different.

I was attacking spain because gently caress those guys, had swordsmen up front and archers behind. When suddenly two loving barbarian horsemen show up and gently caress up my archers from nowhere.

How was the war going? Those are probably rebels.

Civ V had that problem too. You'd be plucking away at some civ four techs behind you, then all of the sudden just as you're about to cap the last city, 5 tanks would pop out and surround the city center.

Oh well, I guess rebels complicate things in real life too

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Zohar posted:

They really phoned it in with a lot of the quotes, the wonders/natural wonders have some particularly terrible ones from recent travel books and Some Guy Online

Bit of salt here: if you're going to quote Adam fuckin' Savage, don't have Sean Bean voice it.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm beginning to think that Scientific Victory drags on a bit too much. I could have conquered the entire world in the almost 100 turns I've been building stuff for scientific victory so far, and I'm no where near finished.

Admittedly I did put a man on the moon in like 1925, and in 1933 am working on the first part of the mars station. Technology speeds seem a bit messed up in this, particularly as I didn't even do something like building Campuses in all of my cities, and I'm on my third Future Tech in 1933.

Yeah, science victory is way too slow, and/or the AI is way too bad at competing with you on it.

My second game was science victory as Rome and the last 150 turns or so were nothing but shooting the two-era-old units every other civ was trying to attack me with while clicking Next Turn. There was literally nothing they could do to stop me, but I still had to go through all the building satellites and poo poo.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Does "Jesuit Education" - (may purchase campus and theater district buildings with faith) not work with the Grecian Acropolis (unique district replacement for the theater square), or am I mistaken on how to use it? I've got an Acropolis and Holy Site in my capital city, but when I go to the religious purchase screen, I can see neither the Ampitheater building, nor the Campus District that I lack, which should have covered both ways of interpreting the ability?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Campus district buildings, not Campus Districts. You still need to build the district, then can use faith to buy things in it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

why is the sound for 'you captured/killed an enemy spy' so fuckin goofy

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Aerdan posted:

Bit of salt here: if you're going to quote Adam fuckin' Savage, don't have Sean Bean voice it.

Sean Bean is pretty untheatrical and deadpan compared to Sheppard, for sure.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I assume people know that barb camps can't spawn if you have sight on the map, so poo poo out a ton of warriors / scouts(no maintenance) and spread them out so that you have vision(no fog of war on any land hex) throughout your empire.

Bonus is that your lovely army will deter people from attacking you for an early era or two.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LordSloth posted:

Does "Jesuit Education" - (may purchase campus and theater district buildings with faith) not work with the Grecian Acropolis (unique district replacement for the theater square), or am I mistaken on how to use it? I've got an Acropolis and Holy Site in my capital city, but when I go to the religious purchase screen, I can see neither the Ampitheater building, nor the Campus District that I lack, which should have covered both ways of interpreting the ability?

You need the districts already and can't buy those with Faith, and also I think you need the city to be following that religion. If you haven't converted it yet, do so.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

splifyphus posted:

Consider Saladin: likes people who have his church building in their cities and who don't resist the light of Allah. Heh, those crazy Ayrabs and their terrorist moon god, 'mirite? Simple binary: don't gently caress with Saladin's religious expansion. Game-time: lose a religious unit in apostolic combat near an Arabian city, get denounced by Saladin for the rest of the game.

So, historically accurate, then.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Ah, but as I said, I have the Acropolis built that replaces the Theater District, and can -build- the ampitheater, but not buy it with faith. My capital also happens to be the founding city of my religion.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

quadrophrenic posted:

How was the war going? Those are probably rebels.

Civ V had that problem too. You'd be plucking away at some civ four techs behind you, then all of the sudden just as you're about to cap the last city, 5 tanks would pop out and surround the city center.

Oh well, I guess rebels complicate things in real life too

It wasn't really going anywhere. I hadn't taken any of his stuff yet; I was just preparing to, really.

Another question : Is there a counter for the AI flooding its lands with eagle warriors so I physically cannot get my missionaries next to a city center to convert it?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Another thing people have asked about I just found (since I've had time to finally sit down and play) there is a way to cycle through cities. Click on a city, when the UI pops up there are arrows to the right and left of the city name.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LordSloth posted:

Ah, but as I said, I have the Acropolis built that replaces the Theater District, and can -build- the ampitheater, but not buy it with faith. My capital also happens to be the founding city of my religion.

I'm not sure, it might be an oversight related to the Acropolis. Try building a Campus and see if that works.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I've always wondered something about how goons see the Diplomacy in CIV or in general because I read it again and again since the early days of Civ, here is my premise:

If you are winning the game, shouldn't the AI try to stop you?
If the AI thinks they can win the game by doing X, shouldn't the AI go for it?

Like, I couldn't give two shits about modifiers and stuff. Those 2 sentences are more than enough for me or any developer to create a Good AIŠ. I'm not saying ALL AI should crash its military against me, they should try to win according to their best shot. Listen, I'm never surprised or angry when a civ backstabs me; they SHOULD do it in my opinion and it's a constant reminder to not get careless.

If anything I'm sad the AI didnt 7vme the moment it was clear I was gonna win the space victory because I kept sabotaging China's Rockets.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dogpiling isn't the AI playing to win, it's the AI playing to make you lose.

If you're okay with being dogpiled when you're about to win, would you be okay with being dogpiled to prevent you from starting to win? What about right at the start of the game? If the AI's express purpose is to leverage every nation against you so that you lose why not just remove diplomacy and peace conditions from the game entirely and start in a permanent 1v7 war?

The role of the AI is not to prevent you from winning. It's to provide challenges and opportunities while you play.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Okay, as many gripes as I have about Sean Bean's quotes, having him quote Monty Python for the Divine Right civic is wonderful.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They should just really work towards having two AI settings, one that's more tuned towards having a kind of narrative/"historical" experience, and one that is expressly designed for competitiveness so that the new Team Liquid Civ VI eSports team can have a more challenging experience

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Can someone help me out with Religion? I'm probably missing something obvious, but all I ever see is the early game "God of the Sea" type stuff, then never see another option to found an actual religion; meaning I can never spend Faith. What am I missing?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You need Great Prophet points. You can get them from Holy Site buildings, or one particular Wildcard policy

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
National parks are a bitch. Do i have to remove any improvements ahead of time or will it remove them for me? I dont want to remove improvements without knowing for sure that i can put a park there.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Is there any way to heal apostles?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This game was running smoothly and now all of a sudden I can't get past the first loading screen without crashing. I've done a full reinstall but I'm still having the same issues.

Also it won't let me validate steam files without getting stuck on 2%. Anyone else having this problem?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Philip II of Spain furiously denounced me for having the wrong kind of government.

The next turn he commended me on my excellent choice of government, which he had just switched to. :geno:

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Zohar posted:

Research Social Media

"I'm banned forums poster niggerstomper58"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zohar posted:

And they still somehow managed to not get a single dril tweet in there. :(

I'm sure "I will face God and walk backwards into hell" would be appropriate for one of the several religion wonders.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

the new Team Liquid Civ VI eSports team

I thought this was a joke at first...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Man the AI still has no clue how to wage war, even on Emperor. I had Gilgamesh park like 4 war carts and 2 warriors in my capital on turn 30 and he declares a "surprise" war a couple of turns later. With 3 archers + the starting warrior, I've killed his army, taken a forward settlement and peace dealed for his other city within 10 turns. They don't ever try to flank or attack, they mostly just sit around even if your city doesn't have walls yet.