Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently according to riot iverns savants have like crazy win rates with him but he takes a while to get to savant status in terms of practice and I kinda believe both of them

To be fair pubbie win rates with champions can be misleading, take for instance nid the most oppressive jungler in the game even after countless nerf bats and she sits at 51%wr even though she absolutely clears house if someone with a brain is at the wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
For a similar instance of this being the case: in Heroes of the Storm Medivh had a 30% win rate and is still at like, 41%. He's also a semipopular pro pick because of his crazy clutch support play potential, which sees him getting banned depending on the enemy comp.

I feel like Ivern could have some potential with more immobile melee carries, but thats a rather thin pool nowadays.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

ivern's winrate is much better since the hotfix and the 6.21 patch but neither of those are currently reflected in his numbers on champion.gg

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
you know you're a good supp when randos you played with before hit you up for a game and you're like nah I'm playin stuff on steam, but then they go "comeon I'm in my placements just one game" so you say okay, stomp the game, then go back to playing borderlands.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I want to see disgusting Ivern + Olaf plays

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Luna Was Here posted:

Apparently according to riot iverns savants have like crazy win rates with him but he takes a while to get to savant status in terms of practice and I kinda believe both of them

To be fair pubbie win rates with champions can be misleading, take for instance nid the most oppressive jungler in the game even after countless nerf bats and she sits at 51%wr even though she absolutely clears house if someone with a brain is at the wheel
Maybe in diamond but I feel like anything plat and below I'm p okay with seeing a nid on the enemy team because even if she gets ridiculously far up she has very marginal utility (the heal) and zero tankyness late game so if you either kill her or the rest of the team she's simply not built around being the 1v5 carry monster. You have to have laners competent enough to push her early advantage in the jungle into winning lanes and the game otherwise she falls off too hard in my experience. It's not so much a difficult pick for the person playing her but you have to have cohesive teamwork to actually utilize her strengths, but ymmv.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

lmao: http://current.lolalytics.com/champion/MissFortune/

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Is that from people picking her as supp? I can't tell it looks like it still says adc but that's the only relevant thing I can link to this weekend.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

you can see the spellthief edge starting item build included there with her ADC stats, technology was not prepared for support mf

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Legitimately 43% is at least 5% higher than I thought it would be. But there are definitely games that lane bullies will get kills and win the game because the jungler on the opposing team ignores that lane, or the one allied with the bully pulls off a good dive. So it makes sense!

Still

Don't Play Support Miss Fortune

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

Legitimately 43% is at least 5% higher than I thought it would be. But there are definitely games that lane bullies will get kills and win the game because the jungler on the opposing team ignores that lane, or the one allied with the bully pulls off a good dive. So it makes sense!

Still

I'm gonna. You can't stop me.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

kingcobweb posted:

Still

it's really just a good example of how little support affects games in solo queue. I just played a game as zil/ez against raka/jinx with grag jungle on my team and he straight up didnt visit until like level 8 despite them recklessly pushing up from the start of the game. We still ended up winning but it really highlighted it doesn't matter how glaring of a weakness your enemy lane has it's just a roll of the dice over whether or not your team cares enough to exploit it. You couldn't ask for a less mobile lane with easier followup but instead we just had to weather the storm for 15 minutes.

I can see mf being strong in the same way I can see not building ss being strong, if your team doesn't do anything to punish it's weaknesses it's a free advantage.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

supports dont affect solo queue sure is super wrong

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I've been playing again, what is champion mastery?

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 24, 2016

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

ArbitraryC posted:

I can see mf being strong in the same way I can see not building ss being strong, if your team doesn't do anything to punish it's weaknesses it's a free advantage.

I doubt there are many instances in solo queue of ashe/mf lane being picked specifically to counter zyra, or that she has a 'free advantage' in many other match-ups.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

supports dont affect solo queue sure is super wrong

I mean yeah we're important but there's a reason the smurf to challenger streams typically play solo lanes. I think people first time playing a super bad support mf but still holding a 40+% winrate is a solid example of the magnitude of their game impact.

I climbed to plat on supp I'm not saying it's an irrelevant role I just think if you took a misfit and played it mid/top/jungle it'd probably have a drastically worse performance. Supp is more where if you consistently play well/above your level you'll climb with an overall advantage but it's not like anyone is gonna say "oh man we got 2 winning lanes but their supp is just so fed it doesn't matter".

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 24, 2016

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Nice, there's still hope for this Incredibly Broken Champion to stay like this for a while longer.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
here's a question for analyst-types/people smarter than me: if not for her astronomical banrate at worlds, could syndra have become the off-meta support zyra counterpick? she has roughly equal ranges (although that's not counting the range on Q plants), not terribly high mana costs early on, and should have huge kill potential on either of the enemy duo at 6

RYang
Dec 5, 2012

RC Cola posted:

I've been playing again, what is champion mastery?

Whenever you play a game as a champion, you get "mastery points" on that champion. The amount you get is something like 100-300 depending on how well you do personally (based on the game's indecipherable metrics), plus 1000 points if your team won. When you get enough mastery points on that champion, your mastery level increases. At mastery level 4 or above, you can press Ctrl+6 in-game to flash your mastery emote while playing that champion.

Moving up to mastery level 6 or 7 is harder because it's not based on mastery points. Instead, you need to be given a score of S- or better in two games for mastery 6, and S or better in three games for 7. In addition, you need to sacrifice a bunch of blue champion shard essence, obtained from champion shards which can be purchased for 1700 IP. This is just to turn your mastery emote from red to purple to blue; it has no further use or purpose.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

here's a question for analyst-types/people smarter than me: if not for her astronomical banrate at worlds, could syndra have become the off-meta support zyra counterpick? she has roughly equal ranges (although that's not counting the range on Q plants), not terribly high mana costs early on, and should have huge kill potential on either of the enemy duo at 6

have you ever played a syndra who gets behind in levels before?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Not saying it's good but Syndra support was played in LCK last season and was alright. SSG Wraith just used ult to generate spheres to combo into an AOE stun for teamfights.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 24, 2016

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

rabidsquid posted:

have you ever played a syndra who gets behind in levels before?

i have not and i wondered if that was the problem

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean yeah we're important but there's a reason the smurf to challenger streams typically play solo lanes. I think people first time playing a super bad support mf but still holding a 40+% winrate is a solid example of the magnitude of their game impact.

I climbed to plat on supp I'm not saying it's an irrelevant role I just think if you took a misfit and played it mid/top/jungle it'd probably have a drastically worse performance. Supp is more where if you consistently play well/above your level you'll climb with an overall advantage but it's not like anyone is gonna say "oh man we got 2 winning lanes but their supp is just so fed it doesn't matter".

Then how can a bad support champ like Ivern go below 36%?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I've noticed no one is ever playing any of the more recent champs (let's say the 5 most recent). Are they all that boring?

Ivern for example I have only seen played twice in some 20 to 30 games since he came out.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Gortarius posted:

I've noticed no one is ever playing any of the more recent champs (let's say the 5 most recent). Are they all that boring?

Ivern for example I have only seen played twice in some 20 to 30 games since he came out.

Jhin is really good, Taliyah waffled back and forth between being broke and lovely and now she and Aurelion Sol are both pretty situational, and Kled and Ivern both are huge turds.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

taliyah got nerfed super hard. she definitely didnt need to be the strongest waveclear champ in the game with absurd roaming abilities but totally gutting her wave clear and hitting her with another extra damage nerf was overboard

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
2 boots, 2 feet

2 staffs, 2 hands

it just makes sense

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

the dark sphere mana costs get absolutely ridiculous in that important level 4-9 range and she can't really use them as a zoning/harass tool in the same way as "actually pretty big aoe with a 60% slow" plus she scales abysmally without solo lane gold. i know korea's played syndra support in the past though

i was discussing it with a pro yesterday (i just looked it up and turns out he's actually the only player in the west to ever play syndra support in a competitive game which i didn't know before now til) and he suggested malzahar because easy spellthief stacks, meh cc but the silence is worth something and you can rush rylai's (i.e. like jungle malz), obv very good level 6 all-in, and you can likely abuse malefic visions off the plants in the same way as mf gets double-up procs off it

the other pick would be sion which i don't know why nobody's picked up because not only does he dump on zyra (e interaction with plants is a nice bonus) and poke supports in general, every single support that usually causes the most serious problems for him (thresh, janna, morgana, leona) is out of the meta, i guess alistar's still around but even that's not a huge problem

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Teikanmi posted:

2 boots, 2 feet

2 staffs, 2 hands

it just makes sense

you could make a atmas golem out of this, but with a sexy hourglass figure

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

blah_blah posted:

Don't think you get to claim that when their ADC destroys your whole team and their solo lanes go a combined 9/25.

i can claim it because this caitlyn was actively suicidal to the point where she'd try to harass and dive into the enemies at bot when A: im not there B: shes at low health C: she just kinda feels like dying

fed like a motherfucker and eventually i just stopped trying to save her simply because she was playing tilted as gently caress, and moved my focus towards assisting the rest of my team by using the patented bard strategy of being everywhere in the map all at once

but i make no claims of skill being a part of that victory, and i was more mocking myself at not having upgraded it, it was like 4 am and i had done like three massive bong rips beforehand, it was more just satisfying and a surprisingly calm game

still got an S+ :riot:

fishception fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 24, 2016

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I thought I carried this game soooo hard and then I looked at the end game damage and I was like wtf?!?

Nasus is back

e: in bronze

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 24, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chris de Sperg posted:

the other pick would be sion which i don't know why nobody's picked up because not only does he dump on zyra (e interaction with plants is a nice bonus) and poke supports in general, every single support that usually causes the most serious problems for him (thresh, janna, morgana, leona) is out of the meta, i guess alistar's still around but even that's not a huge problem

It's genuinely kind of surprising that so few people have bothered with him. I remember thinking that he'd make a good support about a year back or so once I realized how good his E is at harassing in lane, but I never tested it out. My only guess is that he doesn't have much all-in potential until 6, and even then you generally want someone like Jhin or Ashe to help keep someone in place for your Q followup.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Her mana costs early are actually pretty big which is why most games you see a syndra it's paired with a rek/Lee jungler so that they can give her the early blue. The bigger issue is unless you feed her all the kills bottom lane she falls off pretty hard mid to late game if she doesn't get her items when she needs them. Her stun is fairly good in teamfights but if you can get off multiple of those in a fight then you've likely won since her stun cd is actually a year long in comparison to like an alistar or whoever.

Chris de Sperg posted:

i was discussing it with a pro yesterday (i just looked it up and turns out he's actually the only player in the west to ever play syndra support in a competitive game which i didn't know before now til) and he suggested malzahar because easy spellthief stacks, meh cc but the silence is worth something and you can rush rylai's (i.e. like jungle malz), obv very good level 6 all-in, and you can likely abuse malefic visions off the plants in the same way as mf gets double-up procs off it

I think malz support is a similar situation. Sure you can get a kill or two off it but the enemy ADC is almost 100%going qss second item and the support is gonna go for a mikaels early as well. I think it would only work in a game where the ADC or support buying an early qss is like a game losing item and you would have to have an insanely fast early game comp otherwise it just becomes a dead champion at the 15 minute mark

Can you explain support sion to me? In a vacuum he seems good in a support role but when I think about him in a standard lane I just don't see a world where he doesn't get the gently caress bullied out of him early. I guess it's another case of "pretty good at 6" but apart from that I'm not seeing how he works

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Luna Was Here posted:

Can you explain support sion to me?

He's a pretty beefy tank who's great at discouraging all-ins via his Q, his E is fairly cost-efficient and deals very good damage in lane if you get the minion bounce, and, when paired with someone who can follow up like Jhin or Ashe, it's pretty easy for him to land an E -> Q -> W combo that'll chunk most laners down. Once you get to 6, he has fantastic roaming potential with his ult.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Sion is a lane bully, not the bullied

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Vermain posted:

It's genuinely kind of surprising that so few people have bothered with him. I remember thinking that he'd make a good support about a year back or so once I realized how good his E is at harassing in lane, but I never tested it out. My only guess is that he doesn't have much all-in potential until 6, and even then you generally want someone like Jhin or Ashe to help keep someone in place for your Q followup.

Luna Was Here posted:

Can you explain support sion to me? In a vacuum he seems good in a support role but when I think about him in a standard lane I just don't see a world where he doesn't get the gently caress bullied out of him early. I guess it's another case of "pretty good at 6" but apart from that I'm not seeing how he works
his E is extremely potent harass (you max E on both solo lane and support sion anyway), but the thing you have to understand about his Q is that just by the fact that you possess it you have ridiculous bush control (it's deceptively long-range) and you can pretty much win any trade unless they can interrupt it multiple times. a rank-1 sion Q does a maximum of 60 & 195% AD damage. his level 6 is good (and he is his own setup because 50-60% slow on his E = he can set up Q/R by himself) but he's not really a level-6-spike support, it's his level 2-4 which is his most scary part tbh.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the scream messes with the wave (it's not only a linear aoe but sends a minion flying, of course) so if you want to have control over it to freeze or something keep that in mind. it can be a tool as much as a liability.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

a medical mystery posted:

the scream messes with the wave (it's not only a linear aoe but sends a minion flying, of course) so if you want to have control over it to freeze or something keep that in mind. it can be a tool as much as a liability.

Most major lane bullies have heaps of trouble trying to keep a freeze going, anyways. Zyra, Brand, MF, and Karma are all going to automatically push the wave if they're harassing unless the enemy ADC is positioning in some weird way.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Vermain posted:

Most major lane bullies have heaps of trouble trying to keep a freeze going, anyways. Zyra, Brand, MF, and Karma are all going to automatically push the wave if they're harassing unless the enemy ADC is positioning in some weird way.

I don't mean it's "bad" just that it can benefit you more than simple poke if done with a goal in mind. Disrupting minion formations has a tactical use that can give you incremental advantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Additionally Sion will build straight health in lane as a support so even if he's killed the over under on him womping the adc or support to death is pretty high. It also means most adcs wont realistically be able to kill or harass him if he gets slightly ahead.

From playing most of this season as an adc the few times Sion support appeared it was a nightmare, but he's thankfully pretty rare.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 24, 2016

• Locked thread