Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

it's really funny

Sounds like a Black Mirror premise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

etalian posted:

Sounds like a Black Mirror premise

racism in the china thread?! mods???

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
This is really excellent news, I'd like to see a system like this implemented worldwide.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

simplefish posted:

So for the dehumanising argument, I think that that's a load of codswallop.

People are commenting on human action.

If you think it's not fair, come out here, live a different reality, and inform us.

Otherwise just recognise that very seldom in your own life do you considre others as complete humans. Was that guy speeding pastyou in the pickup because he was an imaptient dickwad commuter or because he was trying to get to his daughter in hospital? Didn't think of that, perhaps. But a foreigner might see that as all Americans being impatient twats who play fast and loose with traffic rules. And then post about it in an America thread.

Is that any more dehumanising than you thinking the same guy is a twat, as an American?

We all judge people. We do that based on experience. People who live here have an experience you don't. Grow the gently caress up.

:glomp:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

THE PWNER posted:

This is really excellent news, I'd like to see a system like this implemented worldwide.

A uber passenger score for everything.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
China in 2016 is every 80's dystopian movie cliche come true.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blistex posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of being a Korean University Professor! "A++++'s for everyone (so I can keep my job)"

Wouldn't be smarter to have the students rate the teachers and have the teachers submit final marks, THEN have them both sides get marks/ratings? I mean then there's no chance of retaliation.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 24, 2016

Stuff
Jan 2, 2012
How do you rate and keep track of over a billion people

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Stuff posted:

You can do it, just not well.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Outrail posted:

Wouldn't be smarter to have the students rate the teachers and have the teachers submit final marks, THEN have them both sides get marks/ratings? I mean then there's no chance of retaliation.

So no graded assignments or feedback on how students are doing until the end of the term? Good luck with that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Stuff posted:

Give out points for tracking other people

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sheep-Goats posted:

So no graded assignments or feedback on how students are doing until the end of the term? Good luck with that.

Oh, right.

Well I guess the answer is if the professor is any good they won't fail. Yeah, that works.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Re: 'food-oriented, solo-travel'

How's Seoul?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Outrail posted:

Oh, right.

Well I guess the answer is if the professor is any good they won't fail. Yeah, that works.

The college I went to discouraged students from asking their grades and while you did get feedback on your stuff and it did get graded you were not told the grades. This worked because the college was almost all aggressively intellectual and self driven students and honestly most people did not ask what their grades were. It's a much better system -- I've taken classes elsewhere as well and the paroxysms over grades and test curves that take place once every week or two are a huge waste of time and effort. If you were in danger of failing you would get notified during the course.

Even in the US though this is too much for a lot of people to handle hearing about. Forget about it in Asia, especially in Bad Asia.

Also the average GPA at that school is a lot lower than schools hosting similar quality students. They send a flyer out with transcripts saying as much but I doubt anyone cares. Anyway a lot of classes in the US are taught by assistant professors and their access to tenure is based in part on student reviews, so there are professors going easy on grades in the US for similar reasons as well.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 24, 2016

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Stuff posted:

Like with any authoritarian police state, you make your subjects report each other.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Outrail posted:

It does exactly what it was intended to do.

-having students give feedback on profs makes students feel better
-profs know that student feedback can be vital to their continued employment so they make their classes easier for the students to get good grades
-students feel more satisfaction because they get higher grades and speak highly of the university
-admin can use the professor ratings to promote/demote profs as they see fit and even fire them without any other reason

It has nothing to do with making the university better, and everything to do with get better ratings from students and to be used as a tool for department in-fighting and politics. A friend of mine has been a prof in Korea for going on 10 years, and has seen stuff that would make your average soap-opera seem like it was totally plausible and mundane. The impression he gave of working in a Korean University (especially as a foreigner) is that it's like the show "Survivor" except dialled up to 11 when it comes to the scheming and backstabbing.

fish and chips and dip posted:

Like with any authoritarian police state, you make your subjects report each other.

"Ding, Ding, Ding!"

This is just a 21st Century version of the red terror during the cultural revolution. Instead of having to brainwash a bunch of kids and village idiots to rat on their family and friends, all you need to do is tell them everyone is fighting for "high score" and if they want to grind to the next level, they are going to have to take out some of the competition.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 24, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Sounds like your friend needs an SA account

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Brannock posted:

That is disgusting

tbh only a 50% smoking rate for men sounds real low.

Accretionist posted:

Re: 'food-oriented, solo-travel'

How's Seoul?

Seoul is good for Korea and mediocre at best by international standards. It would be near the bottom of my list for first time Asia food travel.

Seoul is like if you take a small provincial town in any generic country and then increase the population to 25 million. It may become a real world city in the future but isn't there yet.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

tbh only a 50% smoking rate for men sounds real low.

Seoul is good for Korea and mediocre at best by international standards. It would be near the bottom of my list for first time Asia food travel.

Seoul is like if you take a small provincial town in any generic country and then increase the population to 25 million. It may become a real world city in the future but isn't there yet.

Yeah, Seoul is probably the most forgettable place I've visited. It's "nice" but not overly exciting or special. The food, I enjoyed it, but then again I like sour and spicy which is like 90% of Korean food.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Sheep-Goats posted:

When I was in highschool they school year had two semesters.

Parent complained they they didn't know that their special child was failing till after he got the bad grade. So the school did quarter grades. (These would no be on your transcript but grades for the quarter would be sent out.)

They still go complaints so they did a rolling "deficiencies" do bad in a class for a few weeks they would roll those out to your parents.

I know all these was done because officals couldn't just say "well check with your poo poo head students teacher"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Outrail posted:

Sounds like your friend needs an SA account

Not likely. He thinks I'm insane for remaining on SA after a helldump goon phoned my place of work and tried to get me fired.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
For the record, I enjoy Haier's stories. I am an old now, but I was in Korea for 10 years, and I would have posted stories about plowing through virginal Han princesses, not only just to share them, but also to piss a lot of people off, which is what he seems to be doing, so good on him.

Speaking of Korea (china lite):

Blistex posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of being a Korean University Professor! "A++++'s for everyone (so I can keep my job)"

Outrail posted:

Th government actually stepped in a few years ago and said basically that only something like 8% of a given class can get A, 20% B, etc. This has totally ramped up the "gift giving" for dickhole professors and the backstabbing between students.
Students also now have to rate the professors a few weeks before the semester ends, and they don't get their grades until the evaluation period has ended.

Blistex posted:

A friend of mine has been a prof in Korea for going on 10 years, and has seen stuff that would make your average soap-opera seem like it was totally plausible and mundane. The impression he gave of working in a Korean University (especially as a foreigner) is that it's like the show "Survivor" except dialled up to 11 when it comes to the scheming and backstabbing.

Pretty loving much, I have a shitload of stories I could tell, and they';re all super super unbelievable to anyone outside of Asia because they are injected with Krazy Korean Kulture.

source = was a professor in korea for a bunch of years

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Blistex posted:

Not likely. He thinks I'm insane for remaining on SA after a helldump goon phoned my place of work and tried to get me fired.

honestly its sad that we all stay here, I feel sad that haier is coming to terms with his desire to leave....it almost feels like the ending to david the gnome.

Also during the great GBS reboot this thread was often pointed to as a place where the moderation wasn't agreed with, so I think it got alittle breathing room.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ladron posted:

Pretty loving much, I have a shitload of stories I could tell, and they';re all super super unbelievable to anyone outside of Asia because they are injected with Krazy Korean Kulture.

source = was a professor in korea for a bunch of years

:justpost:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

nah, I feel bad enough coming in this here China and ranting about Korea like a crazy neighbor

and, no offense to them, but the Korea thread seems kinda full of super cliquey Korean apologists

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ladron posted:

nah, I feel bad enough coming in this here China and ranting about Korea like a crazy neighbor

and, no offense to them, but the Korea thread seems kinda full of super cliquey Korean apologists

Nah man, after that setup you gotta at least post one or two.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
china is rightfully corea's anyway, :justpost: is always the answer

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
If that blogger ChinaBounder poo poo his pants on the reg he'd be Haier

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

ladron posted:

there's this thread, there's the japan thread, you might as well start a korea.jpg thread

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think it works better caught between the china and japan threads without its own proper space

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I agree. And in non-joking ways there just really isn't enough unique stuff to post, most of the lol Korea stuff is pretty similar to what goes on in China. The only special thing I can think of is the superbly hosed up education system and that's just sad for everyone involved.

E: Backstabbing professors sounds fun though post post.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 24, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

is there a japan thread in GBS and i've somehow not seen it? south east asia fascinates me, and I'd like to see seoul, japan, a few other places honestly, even china, but I really do get a kick otu of reading stories about expats or other people living in this places with their stories of culture clash and disillusionment.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Stringent posted:

Nah man, after that setup you gotta at least post one or two.

heh. ok.

I was doing research for my phd at this one university where the woman in charge of the foreigners was the daughter of the president of the university and could basically do whatever she wanted eg she hired her hairdresser as a professor for the "Cosmetology" department (yes, such a thing exists, you don't know korea, you MUST have a degree in SOMETHING)..anyhow

I had to go to this dinner/drinking american thanksgiving thing for the foreigners, because you see, I am a foreigner, so I must be there, even though I didn't work there.

So.

The dinner gets lined up buffet style; she had sent someone to seoul to the military base to buy turkeys and trimmings, like a 2 hour round trip, which was pretty awesome. So all this food, gets spread out on this table, most of it still warm. The foreigners haven't eaten all day because this thing has been hyped up and they are starving.

First, before anyone can eat, this woman shows a powerpoint and a video about her department, which 99% of the people there work in and don't want to see a video about, in really broken English, because even tho she is in charge of the English speaking staff and the required English classes every student needs to take, she doesn't loving speak it.

while the video is going on, everybody is getting shitfaced. Angry shitfaced, which exists in korea in a way you can never understand unless you've been there. Angry shitfaced on soju, the angriest of liquors (sorry tequila and vodka, but it's true) on totally empty stomachs. Everybody includes this woman.

Finally, she finishes, after -no poo poo- 90 minutes, and everyone beelines for this buffet for their ice cold food. I don't want to seem unappreciative, I personally hadn't had turkey at this point in like 5 years, and it was way cool to buy it and send her assistant to go get it, like an hour away, but really.

so, angry drunk people are angrily eating cold turkey and gravy and stuffing like it's thanksgiving in 50s mississippi and you brought someone of a different race to dinner. This woman, who is also shitfaced, is not eating, just drinking more and more, because she is better than the foreigners and won't eat their foreigner food, which she told her assistant multiple times, right in front of me, and her assistant reminded her each time that I was right there and spoke Korean too. She sends somebody to go get some kimchi from somewhere, and then doesn't touch it, just drinks more.

I walk around, mingling with the foreigners, who, having decimated the turkey, are getting even more shitfaced, but in a sleepy, western style way. This is why I didn't see what started the fight between the woman in charge and the assistant, but it got real loud real quick, and I ran over there.

So, this 40 something woman, who was shitfaced, had been forcing her 20 something assistants to keep up with her drinking, and I could pretty much tell that she was a class one seasoned alcoholic from the moment I had met her. The assistant, still having a functioning liver and dreams of a future, had fallen behind, and this woman was ranting at her, insulting her lineage, her big head, her small eyes, etc, old school korean style dressing down. All this girl can do is just standing bow and apologize, which I guess makes her dizzy, because she starts puking everywhere.

She tries to get to the bathroom, which is, you guessed it, across the room, through all these foreigners who are now staring at this whole scene. The other woman is still yelling at her, so she covers her mouth to try and contain the puke while crossing all these tables of foreigners. The increased pressure causes her to spe3w vomit between her finger and also spray diarrhea against the confines of her pristine whiote panties, which immediately get full and leak poo poo all down her leg, which popping out from under her minskirt like a stink party favor.

Reminder - these foreigners hadn't eaten all day, got drunk, powerslammed a few turkeys, then drank some more. And now there is a making GBS threads, puking, 20something korean girl spraying poo poo and vomit among them like a lawn sprinkler.

Chaos.

I look at the woman in charge, and she's eating kimchi by grabbing handfuls of it and stuffing it into her mouth, drunking having most of it fall back out, ignoring everything else.

I was like "gently caress this, I don't even work here" and bolted.

I got called into a meeting about this a few days later, but it was kinda boring and nothing really happened, just typical korean bullshit and ignoring of the facts, and this post is getting long, so I'll stop here.

Sorry that's not really an academia story.
Satisfied?

EDIT:

Koramei posted:

I think it works better caught between the china and japan threads without its own proper space

hahahahaha

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

hemophilia posted:

is there a japan thread in GBS and i've somehow not seen it? south east asia fascinates me, and I'd like to see seoul, japan, a few other places honestly, even china, but I really do get a kick otu of reading stories about expats or other people living in this places with their stories of culture clash and disillusionment.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695572

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

paperchaseguy posted:

soylent chinese is made from people!

People joke, but I remember this being all over the internet and in some newspapers when people figured it out (forgive the source):

http://www.naturalnews.com/032718_L-cysteine_commercial_bread.html

quote:

True fact: A common ingredient in commercial breads is derived from human hair harvested in China

If you read the ingredients label on a loaf of bread, you will usually find an ingredient listed there as L-cysteine. This is a non-essential amino acid added to many baked goods as a dough conditioner in order to speed industrial processing. It's usually not added directly to flour intended for home use, but you'll find it throughout commercial breads such as pizza dough, bread rolls and pastries.

While some L-cysteine is directly synthesized in laboratories, most of it is extracted from a cheap and abundant natural protein source: human hair. The hair is dissolved in acid and L-cysteine is isolated through a chemical process, then packaged and shipped off to commercial bread producers. Besides human hair, other sources of L-cysteine include chicken feathers, duck feathers, cow horns and petroleum byproducts.

Most of the hair used to make L-cysteine is gathered from the floors of barbershops and hair salons in China, by the way.

EDIT: Enjoy your supermarket bagels. I guess we are all a little bit Chinese, eh?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

ladron posted:

while the video is going on, everybody is getting shitfaced. Angry shitfaced, which exists in korea in a way you can never understand unless you've been there. Angry shitfaced on soju, the angriest of liquors (sorry tequila and vodka, but it's true) on totally empty stomachs. Everybody includes this woman.
LOL @ all of this, but this just started the Jaws theme in my head and it kept getting faster as the story went until the diarrhea.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ladron posted:

:stare:

Satisfied?

no, post more

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Yes post more stories

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

rear end cobra posted:

Yes post more stories

maybe I should be like 50foot any or whoever and just start my own thread and post increasingly unbelievable stories until enough people call me out on my bullshit that I fake my own internet death and publicly announce via my alt account as my brother.

EDIT- someone start a "Strange but True Tales from Across the Sea" thread where we take turns regaling each other with stories about how we don't understand 5,000 years of culture...
Actually, that's probably this thread.

ladron fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

hemophilia posted:

Japan is sufficiently stable, cosmopolitan (at least in the big cities), and good that you're unlikely to find stories in the same vein as Chinar or Corea

• Locked thread