Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gently caress, I always get those switched, even though I know that JP8 is plane old everyday jet fuel. I don't know why...I think my brain goes "SR71 is better than other planes, therefore its fuel has the bigger number "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
We're in automotive insanity, somebody should effortpost the SR-71 startcart.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Sagebrush posted:

The fuel runs directly under the skin of the plane because that way you can both preheat the fuel and cool the skin, and you gain additional range that would be lost if you had to make a separate sealed internal fuel tank.

That's another thing that should be mentioned; basically all aircraft with so-called "wet wings" (fuel tanks where the wing skins form part of the tank itself, rather than being separate structures), from Cessna 172s on up, tend to leak fuel to varying degrees. It's just a fact or life that the sealing is never quite perfect.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
also: don't look now but I think someone's following you:
http://i.imgur.com/irK05EQ.mp4
[/quote]

Very cool but the sperg in me wants to see a Hurricane instead. Surely if we're going for the 'named after winds fighters" we could see a Hurricane + Typhoon + Tempest + Tornado + Typhoon combo!

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Procurement can be magnitudes of stupid, but it seems like even the New York Times has some sense about aircraft carriers

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/22/world/europe/russia-admiral-kuznetsov-syria.html posted:

The technology used to launch airplanes is considered obsolete. Most modern carriers fling their fighter jets skyward with a kind of catapult, allowing them to carry a full contingent of fuel and weapons. Planes launched from the Admiral Kuznetsov wobble aloft from a sort of ski jump, forcing them to take off without a full load.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nothing serious I presume? I really want to fly on a 747 before they get replaced :(

MrChips posted:

No.

That is one of the biggest misconceptions about the SR-71; yes the tanks leaked fuel on the ground, but it was a very small amount. The reason why they took off light on fuel and tanked right away was solely to improve takeoff performance. A typical takeoff in an SR-71 has a rotation speed of 180 knots and a liftoff speed of 210, which is quite a bit higher than your average fighter aircraft to begin with. Additionally, even with the drogue chute, the SR-71's braking performance was not great - six little brakes on a heavy aircraft means that quickly becomes the limiting factor on takeoff performance.
Very small related to total fuel on the aircraft? Sure. While it wasn't exactly "gushing" out of the aircraft, it wasn't insignificant. Compared to a normal aircraft it would have been a sieve. The tarmac directly underneath a fuelled SR71/A12 would be pretty covered in fuel after a short while.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

slothrop posted:

Very cool but the sperg in me wants to see a Hurricane instead. Surely if we're going for the 'named after winds fighters" we could see a Hurricane + Typhoon + Tempest + Tornado + Typhoon combo!

I don't think there are many survivors from the WW2 Typhoon/Tempest family, which is really too bad.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Nothing serious I presume? I really want to fly on a 747 before they get replaced :(

That's Lufthansa, so it may very well be a 747-8i, which they not quite commissioned themselves and was made within the last year or two.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cocoa Crispies posted:

That's Lufthansa, so it may very well be a 747-8i, which they not quite commissioned themselves and was made within the last year or two.

If it's going between Germany and Orlando it's a "B" route, so it'd far more likely be a -400 they're running the clock out on - they reserve the A380s and 800s for the hubs and major connection routes. The engines looked like the "older" style, too.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If it's going between Germany and Orlando it's a "B" route, so it'd far more likely be a -400 they're running the clock out on - they reserve the A380s and 800s for the hubs and major connection routes. The engines looked like the "older" style, too.

-400s have winglets; -8i has raked wingtips with no winglet and 787-style sawtoothed engine nacelles.

e: that's a -400.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

Seems to have turned out fine; it landed due to the smell of smoke somewhere on-board. Looking on flight aware, it looks like they sent another airplane, then sent the 747 back to Frankfruit for a check before returning it to service.

Also slightly bummed it wasn't a 747-8i, I imagine that's gonna be a rare visitor.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

slidebite posted:

I really want to fly on a 747 before they get replaced :(

Same, I was super disappointed when my flights to and from England were on 767s.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

Seems to have turned out fine; it landed due to the smell of smoke somewhere on-board. Looking on flight aware, it looks like they sent another airplane, then sent the 747 back to Frankfruit for a check before returning it to service.

Also slightly bummed it wasn't a 747-8i, I imagine that's gonna be a rare visitor.

Only 41 of them in operation - matching the A350 currently in number active.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Is there a way to find what routes aircraft type are scheduled to fly?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

slidebite posted:

Is there a way to find what routes aircraft type are scheduled to fly?

747-8i: http://www.gcmap.com/featured/20151129

I've seen the IAD-FRA one.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Please don't let this be a typo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The 747 is the best looking jet airliner ever produced and I will fight anyone that disagrees.

Also, the 747-200 is the best looking passenger variant of the 747, before the upper deck got extended and the lines were ruined.

Sitting at Heathrow and seeing all the BA 747s come and go is quite something. The A380 is, on the other hand, ungainly and hideous.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Anyone been to Houston Space Center? Any tips?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PT6A posted:

The 747 is the best looking jet airliner ever produced and I will fight anyone that disagrees.

Also, the 747-200 is the best looking passenger variant of the 747, before the upper deck got extended and the lines were ruined.

Sitting at Heathrow and seeing all the BA 747s come and go is quite something. The A380 is, on the other hand, ungainly and hideous.

747-SP 4 lyfe

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

The 747 took a concept that should probably look ugly as poo poo and made it look amazing. The A380 is loving disgusting looking by comparison. Granted I don't think anything Airbus makes is all that visually appealing outside of maybe the A400 with the A340 a distant second.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Finger Prince posted:

Anyone been to Houston Space Center? Any tips?

There are two tram tours, Red goes to Building 9 with the ISS training facility, and Blue goes to Mission Control. I'm still kicking myself over not taking the Blue tour while I was there. Both tours also visit Rocket Park which has a Saturn V on loan from the Smithsonian. It's a hell of a lot bigger in person. Make sure to grab an orbitere ticket online; they're free. They have it mounted on the transit aircraft out front with some neat exhibits in it. Other than that, I mostly wandered around. It's a neat place.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

fknlo posted:

The 747 took a concept that should probably look ugly as poo poo and made it look amazing. The A380 is loving disgusting looking by comparison. Granted I don't think anything Airbus makes is all that visually appealing outside of maybe the A400 with the A340 a distant second.

The A320 has a certain minimalist elegance.

Also:

ADMIT WE'RE RIGHT AIRBUS

VOR LOC posted:

Please don't let this be a typo.

:saddowns:

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

ADMIT WE'RE RIGHT AIRBUS

In Airbus' defence, when the A380 was developed passenger seats forward of the nearest exit were no longer allowed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tsuru posted:

In Airbus' defence, when the A380 was developed passenger seats forward of the nearest exit were no longer allowed.

Just means you need a forward stairway.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Shalhavet posted:

There are two tram tours, Red goes to Building 9 with the ISS training facility, and Blue goes to Mission Control. I'm still kicking myself over not taking the Blue tour while I was there. Both tours also visit Rocket Park which has a Saturn V on loan from the Smithsonian. It's a hell of a lot bigger in person. Make sure to grab an orbitere ticket online; they're free. They have it mounted on the transit aircraft out front with some neat exhibits in it. Other than that, I mostly wandered around. It's a neat place.

Cool, how long are the tours? (thinking of spending half a day there, then driving down to corpus christi)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 23, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Consider paying for the L9 tour if you're particularly into space stuff, sitting in Apollo era mission control is worth it. Way better than the regular tours.

The visitors centre proper is quite kidsy.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Ardeem posted:

We're in automotive insanity, somebody should effortpost the SR-71 startcart.

Here's some start cart insanity, not SR-71 related though. There was Project Constant Peg in the 70s, where the USAF tested (and did dissimilar air combat trainingwith) various Soviet fighters that they could get their hands on. In the beginning they used American start carts for them, which weren't powerful enough and they had to use 2 start carts on 1 plane at the same plane to start it. Well once they got their hands on some Russian start carts, things became a lot easier as they could start 2 planes with 1 start cart simultaneously.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

vessbot posted:

Here's some start cart insanity, not SR-71 related though. There was Project Constant Peg in the 70s, where the USAF tested (and did dissimilar air combat trainingwith) various Soviet fighters that they could get their hands on. In the beginning they used American start carts for them, which weren't powerful enough and they had to use 2 start carts on 1 plane at the same plane to start it. Well once they got their hands on some Russian start carts, things became a lot easier as they could start 2 planes with 1 start cart simultaneously.

I don't remember if you were the one that recommended the book Red Eagles about Constant Peg but I checked it out and it was a very interesting read.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Duke Chin posted:

also: don't look now but I think someone's following you:
http://i.imgur.com/irK05EQ.mp4

https://gifsound.com/?gifv=irK05EQ&v=ZvCI-gNK_y4

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Yeah no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moL4MkJ-aLk&t=120s

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

PittTheElder posted:

Consider paying for the L9 tour if you're particularly into space stuff, sitting in Apollo era mission control is worth it. Way better than the regular tours.

The visitors centre proper is quite kidsy.

I strongly agree with both statements. L9 is definitely worth the money.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Nebakenezzer posted:

ADMIT WE'RE RIGHT AIRBUS

My first thought was "this looks wrong, the A380 doesn't look ugly enough"

then I remembered the photoshop and laughed

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

tactlessbastard posted:

I don't remember if you were the one that recommended the book Red Eagles about Constant Peg but I checked it out and it was a very interesting read.

It wasn't me, but just right now I'm trying to decide if I should get that book, or instead "America's secret Mig squadron" by Gail Peck, it's actual founder. (I saw him do a talk on it at Oshkosh and that's how I learned about it in the first place. And that's where that start cart anecdote is from)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

vessbot posted:

It wasn't me, but just right now I'm trying to decide if I should get that book, or instead "America's secret Mig squadron" by Gail Peck, it's actual founder. (I saw him do a talk on it at Oshkosh and that's how I learned about it in the first place. And that's where that start cart anecdote is from)

Why make this harder than it needs to be - just get both, you won't regret it!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's worth knowing the context behind both - iyaayas posted some pretty good explanatory posts probably two years ago. As long as you go in to both books understanding what you're getting and why you're not getting the rest, they're worth it. If you only have to pick one and you don't care that much, Red Eagles is probably the better choice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A380 from SFO-LHR got redirected to YVR and 25 treated for smoke inhalation
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/emergency-landing-vancouver-1.3820082

Why wouldn't it go to YYC? Needed to dump fuel anyhow?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW286

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

slidebite posted:

A380 from SFO-LHR got redirected to YVR and 25 treated for smoke inhalation
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/emergency-landing-vancouver-1.3820082

Why wouldn't it go to YYC? Needed to dump fuel anyhow?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW286

I don't think YYC has an A380-capable gate (for another week at least), and if we do I'm fairly sure that no ground crews here have experience with handling one, whereas I believe they used to have a scheduled A380 service in YVR from somewhere.

I'm guessing they needed to dump fuel before landing anyway, so the extra flight time probably wasn't a big deal. (Edit: Ah! Like you said in your post which I didn't read fully)

Ultimately those are just guesses though, I could be 100% wrong.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What could cause the issue that just sickened just the crew? Is 25 the number of all the crew on a BA A380? They're saying smoke inhalation but why weren't passengers affected?

Pretty weird.

E: according to the news here (I'm in the local area) they tried diverting to Calgary first but that airport can't accommodate the a380.

priznat fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 25, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My guess is a psychological problem. If it were really serious they would have tried to land in Calgary anyhow though right? The runway is long enough isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Guessing food.