Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blue Train posted:

plug it in and click the thing that pops up?

incorrect! you have to plug it in, open the notification window bar thing, click on where it says charging via usb, and hit transfer files

its dumb as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Or just use Air Droid, or put it on your Drive.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

incorrect! you have to plug it in, open the notification window bar thing, click on where it says charging via usb, and hit transfer files

its dumb as poo poo

wow yea that's trash

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Is there a way to tell my Pixel to never dump play music from memory? I hate having to have a tasker task to open it when BT connects, but on the 6P that was the best method I could come up with.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

its dumb as poo poo
It's charge only by default so your phone doesn't get rooted or whatever when you plug it into any random USB port that you find.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

butt dickus posted:

It's charge only by default so your phone doesn't get rooted or whatever when you plug it into any random USB port that you find.

Is there a way to change it

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

its dumb as poo poo

I actually much prefer it. Now it's like my phone always has a Jimmy on and can just enter random ports without having the risk of bringing a UTD home

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So what are our tablet options that are not crazy expensive, now that huawei didn't release a nexus tablet?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Is there a way to change it
Yes if you're fine turning developer mode on. Doesn't do anything except add an extra screen in settings full of things that you mostly shouldn't touch.
Settings -> About phone -> Tap "Build number" repeatedly until it says you are a developer.
Settings -> Developer options -> (under Networking heading) Select USB Configuration.

My Pixel appears to have defaulted to MTP so I don't know which of us is weird but yeah go hog wild.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is that for all computers or just ones you've selected MTP for in the past?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
my pixel is now doing a dumb thing where when i google something it tells me there's an error with my connection, desite being connected to wifi a foot from the router

what the hell pixel i love you why you gotta hit me

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

my pixel is now doing a dumb thing where when i google something it tells me there's an error with my connection, desite being connected to wifi a foot from the router

Does it work on cellular?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CLAM DOWN posted:

Does it work on cellular?

nope

and to be precise, it loads the results. it just also displays a message over top of them that i can't dismiss. reloading the app has also not worked

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

nope

and to be precise, it loads the results. it just also displays a message over top of them that i can't dismiss. reloading the app has also not worked

Example phrase? I wanna see if it gives me the same error

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So what are our tablet options that are not crazy expensive, now that huawei didn't release a nexus tablet?

Honestly, large format, get a convertible or hybrid chromebook if you don't want to step up to the Pixel C.

8" or smaller? Buy a disposable Fire Tablet or a used Nexus 7 2013.

It's kinda crazy how Google is seemingly abandoning the tablet market right when they get split screen working.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I have run into that a few times on my N6 using the Google now stuff launcher. Happened on my Note 7 as well. Wifi and cellular. Never knew why but would go away eventually

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm in Hong Kong, and want a large tablet (10-12") to read comics and watch stuff on. A cheap Chinese tablet seems to be the way to go. Has anyone bought something from China before? Chinainvasion.com had great prices, but some of the reviews of the site were... not so kind.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

The Nvidia Shield tablet ain't bad as a Nexus 7 replacement, especially at $200. Other than that, you got the Pixel C or Tab S2.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
re: my dead gay 5X

Yes, I hit it against a desk; no I'm not kidding. When it bootlooped I hoped that all that was wrong was that the power button was stuck.

I bought it from the Play store, and again, it's literally just a hair under 13 months old. Google asked the standard questions ("Um sir what happen when you are plugging it in?") and then connected me to LG, who directed me to a website where I can print a return label.

I keep going back and forth about switching to the iPhone, but my wife has one and I just hate the software. Meanwhile I rely on several Google services (gmail, maps, youtube, search, calendar), but the hardware. Even when my 5X was working, my only complaint was that the compass never worked quite right, and had to be "calibrated" by waving the phone around. So when it was pointing the wrong loving direction in Japan, I wanted to pour Calpis on the loving thing. I don't understand why I have to gently caress with the compass, but the iPhone has a perfectly working compass every time.

I'm hoping the Pixel has nothing especially bad, or I'm going to be left with the iPhone.

edit: oh and LG saying "7-9 days" for my phone just feels...unacceptable? Considering this seems to be a known issue. Like, I suppose if I broke it, then that's the price I'd have to pay. But that's not the case.

nocal fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 24, 2016

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I got a Pixel on launch day, it owns. Grab one and you won't regret it.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Compass in Google Maps seems to work fine on my Pixel.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah I had to replace an lg g2 the day after I bought it because the gps faced 90 degrees to the side. Electronics are commonly wonky even though it's 2016 and I can use a tiny pocket computer reliably for 2-3 years when half the games I had for my windows ME PC wouldn't install.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

If Google doesn't send XL stock to Canada I swear to god I will write a strongly worded tweet about it.

Delete all your 4k animes and get the 32 gig one. Mine shipped same day as order and I didn't pre-order.

Sitting in the Richmond depot right now...

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

nocal posted:

Yes, I hit it against a desk; no I'm not kidding. When it bootlooped I hoped that all that was wrong was that the power button was stuck.

I bought it from the Play store, and again, it's literally just a hair under 13 months old. Google asked the standard questions ("Um sir what happen when you are plugging it in?") and then connected me to LG, who directed me to a website where I can print a return label.
I get to go through this with my wife's 5x getting stuck in a bootloop after having it crash.

Can't get it to stop doing this drat loop and now I want to bang it against many things for how lovely it's become.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kensei posted:

I got a Pixel on launch day, it owns. Grab one and you won't regret it.

Like I keep saying, I jumped to it from iPhone and after twelve hours I don't regret it at all

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

nocal posted:

Yes, I hit it against a desk; no I'm not kidding.

That's a Nexus 5 thing (that might or might not even work). Stop hitting your random phones against stuff to fix things.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
My QuickCharger for my Moto X Pure has decided to only charge when the wire is at a certain angle. Looks like it got damaged on my last trip. Suggestions on replacement chargers?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

calandryll posted:

My QuickCharger for my Moto X Pure has decided to only charge when the wire is at a certain angle. Looks like it got damaged on my last trip. Suggestions on replacement chargers?

A charger where you can just replace the cable rather when this happens.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sereri posted:

That's a Nexus 5 thing (that might or might not even work). Stop hitting your random phones against stuff to fix things.

Yeah, for newer Android phones, try sucking or blowing on the screen, power/volume buttons, etc. Not sure if it's just Nexus or what, but that helped when my Nexus 6 was bootlooping.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm not looking forward to the world of anxiety that is having to buy new USB-C chargers/cables to replace all my old chargers/cables.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Just use that spreadsheet of chargers and cables someone posted within the past week.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
For reference:

bull3964 posted:

For anyone who has a Pixel coming (or, really, any other USB-C device) Nathan K and Benson Leung have teamed forces to give an easy breakdown of what cables and chargers you should buy and which you shouldn't and why.

https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/1PJZT2g61Ag

The big thing they highlight in the document is which chargers should be considered dangerously out of spec and which chargers do 9v3a for Power Delivery which will charge the Pixel at max rate. They even have a few car chargers on the list. The top Belkin one that google sells is also available from Verizon for 25% off list.

What's interesting is they do actually give both Verizon chargers (car and wall) pretty high marks despite the fact that they are QC 3.0 compatible. The Verizon wall charger is notable in that it also does 12v@2a Power Delivery which will charge the Pixel C at max rate, making it a great travel charger if you happen to have that tablet.

Add to op?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Anyone get the official Google Pixel cases? I like the red one, but I wonder how it is, and if it's more red or pink? It's listed as "Coral" which is the same color as the old Nexus 9 cover, but I had a couple of them and the variance was really different on colors.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

calandryll posted:

I had the exact same problem, and unfortunately it's not going to get better. It'll start being able to charge at worse and worse angles until it won't connect at all unless you're holding it in at like 30 degrees.

Motorola is sold out of the chargers on their site, but you can get the quick charger off of Amazon for half the cost anyway. Just had to do the same myself a couple weeks back, it works great.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

I had the exact same problem, and unfortunately it's not going to get better. It'll start being able to charge at worse and worse angles until it won't connect at all unless you're holding it in at like 30 degrees.

Motorola is sold out of the chargers on their site, but you can get the quick charger off of Amazon for half the cost anyway. Just had to do the same myself a couple weeks back, it works great.

This happened to me too. At a certain point the phone decided to stop charging altogether, sent it to repair with the charger and it came back the same, will only charge at an angle (but the phone is ok now).

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Really, Google? Your cool new messaging app doesn't work with your cool new AI assistant?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

:aaaaa: <---- this is my surprised face

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
Could anyone recommend a case for the HTC 10? Or failing that, tell me what the go to brands are nowadays?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Cross posting from the Verizon thread because I'm irritated af rn

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

So I went to Verizon yesterday to do the whole trade in new phone shenanigans. The iPhone trade in credit got messed up, and they initially gave me $36 instead of $200. I also didn't get the email with the gift card info yet. They told me they would fix it and to stop in today if i didn't get the email. Which I still don't have.

So the trade in and new phone went smoothly. It's just everything after that that broke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Anyone get the official Google Pixel cases? I like the red one, but I wonder how it is, and if it's more red or pink? It's listed as "Coral" which is the same color as the old Nexus 9 cover, but I had a couple of them and the variance was really different on colors.
I don't think anything other than grey is actually available to buy yet. In the UK, at least, the others all still show "coming soon".