Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

JFairfax posted:

that's what I thought the thing that goes in the middle of the two joycon sides could be, as well as batteries

maybe it might have touch but the difference between a touch screen and a touch pad is night and day for gameplay. i doubt its more than a battery/rumble pak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Yea, level creators with grids can be really fluid on joysticks. Some people even prefer it.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
The actor in the interview said there's a handful of things he wish he could mention that were't explicitly revealed in the trailer. So that means:

-JoyCon shoulder buttons where it connects
-Touch screen
-Thumb sticks that are also buttons
-Pretty much everything you're hoping for

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

It had poor framerate because the dev kits run on a Tegra X1 whereas the release unit might have an X2 or at least an upgraded custom chip.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Philip Rivers posted:

It had poor framerate because the dev kits run on a Tegra X1 whereas the release unit might have an X2 or at least an upgraded custom chip.

lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Philip Rivers posted:

I think all the video in the trailer is faked though and could have come from any computer and nintendo didnt care what it looked like performance wise as long as it was hd and veryvery bright

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I'd rather have Donald Trump become president and the Switch be really good than Switch being bad and Hillary Clinton become president.

how would anyone survive to play it tho 🤔

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

The chipset thing is true though :ssh:

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Philip Rivers posted:

Hope so. Honestly don't care if this thing only has 3 hour battery life, I care if it has an X2 or at least a custom Pascal-based processor. Important for it to keep up enough with Sony and Microsoft so 3rd parties will still develop for it.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I don't think we even know that it's an upgraded custom chip, at least not in terms of performance. We know that it's a custom chip. It could be custom because its power consumption is lower than a normal Tegra X1 or it could be custom because it weighs less than a normal Tegra X1 or it could be custom because

We know almost nothing about its specs at the moment.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I'd rather have Donald Trump become president and the Switch be really good than Switch being bad and Hillary Clinton become president.

I too would rather have one good thing and one bad thing, than two bad things.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Philip Rivers posted:

When has a console ever shipped with a devkit that is weaker than the console?

but also lol because the video was faked for the trailer

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

InFlames235 posted:

Hope so. Honestly don't care if this thing only has 3 hour battery life, I care if it has an X2 or at least a custom Pascal-based processor. Important for it to keep up enough with Sony and Microsoft so 3rd parties will still develop for it.

it could be strong as gently caress and still get bad support. sales alone will guarantee 3rd party games

i dont really care though because i have other platforms to buy those games on as do most people going on 4 years into the console cycle. and to be honest i seriously doubt major publishers ability to make any spec console hardware perform well.

i just want the sweet nintendo games, cool/weird japanese games, and nintendo funded 3rd parties like bayo2 was and beyond good and evil reboot is rumored to be

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 24, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Decus posted:

I don't think we even know that it's an upgraded custom chip, at least not in terms of performance. We know that it's a custom chip. It could be custom because its power consumption is lower than a normal Tegra X1 or it could be custom because it weighs less than a normal Tegra X1 or it could be custom because

We know almost nothing about its specs at the moment.

Well, there's nvidia's blog post about it, but yeah that's not much.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

it could be strong as gently caress and still get bad support. sales alone will guarantee 3rd party games

i dont really care though because i have other platforms to buy those games on as do most people going on 4 years into the console cycle. and to be honest i seriously doubt major publishers ability to make any spec console hardware perform well.

i just want the sweet nintendo games, cool/weird japanese games, and nintendo funded 3rd parties like bayo2 was and beyond good and evil reboot is rumored to be

Platinumgames is going to put the "witch" in "Switch." You heard it here first folks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm not going to let typical Goon negativity bring me down.
I am hype hype hype for the Switch.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Inzombiac posted:

I'm not going to let typical Goon negativity bring me down.
I am hype hype hype for the Switch.

:respek:

It's a convertible game console. It's what Nintendo has been promising for years upon years. It is exactly what I've been hoping for.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, there's nvidia's blog post about it, but yeah that's not much.

It is vaguely implied that the chipset is Pascal based where they brag about it having the same architecture as the "top-performing" GeForce cards.

InFlames235 posted:

I'm probably about as hyped as they come about the possibility of a custom X2 based chipset but a 3 hour battery life would be a travesty.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I wonder if any further speculation from here is pointless. Nintendo isn't releasing anymore details until 2017.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I wonder if any further speculation from here is pointless. Nintendo isn't releasing anymore details until 2017.

Further speculation is paramount imo

Keep Nintendo in your heart all year long

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
They had a famitsu interview, so that "no more details until 2017" was wrong already. They probably meant "no details provided to WSJ until 2017".

The famitsu revealed that it will come with the joy-con for sure but will vary by region for the other controllers, does not in fact play 3DS cartridges or WiiU discs, that they do not consider it as replacing the WiiU or 3DS and that they are still considering whether or not they'll make a successor for the 3DS.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
So what the hell is is going to happen to the WiiU?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Violet_Sky posted:

What's happening with the Wii U right now, exactly?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

When Nintendo's Emergency Console stumbles the lost child shall return to carry the burden

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Guys when they say things like "will not replace X" it means they're not going to immediately discontinue X, like any good business. The Switch will phase out Wii U and 3DS eventually, as long as it doesn't flop.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Violet_Sky posted:

its going to continue to be the home of good gaming

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

They're finished with the Wii brand. Sorry, thank you for playing.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Violet_Sky posted:

Shigeru and Reggie stop eating mid bite as a flash of lightening streams through the window and a roll of thunder is distantly heard as the question hangs in the air. They both give glances towards a wall that appears to have new sheet rock and paint recently put up in the shape of a doorway where a barely audible scratching, so low its hard to tell if it's really there, is heard

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So when it flops maybe we'll get something good like the 4DS... if they don't get bought by Apple and turned into a mobile game development studio by then.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Decus posted:

They had a famitsu interview, so that "no more details until 2017" was wrong already. They probably meant "no details provided to WSJ until 2017".

The famitsu revealed that it will come with the joy-con for sure but will vary by region for the other controllers, does not in fact play 3DS cartridges or WiiU discs, that they do not consider it as replacing the WiiU or 3DS and that they are still considering whether or not they'll make a successor for the 3DS.

How can they sell a system without controller? Did you mean the gamepad pro?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Ok guys saw Zelda on a snowboard.
Placing my preorder for the 3DS successor.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I have my PC on my desk, with a monitor. It's also connected via HDMI to my TV, so I can watch my videos or play games on my TV whenever I want. Of course, my apartment is very small. I also own a PS3 so I gave the best of all worlds.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

how many ps3s do you have in your apartment

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
can i play the nintendo switch at a desk?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Is the switch gonna force me to rebuy all my VC games again :argh:

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

limaCAT posted:

Anyway I don't understand why why Nintendo made a posh switch trailer when they could Just show a grandma playing solitarie and just say in big bold letters "no ads, no forced updates, no xbox live login needed" and sell millions of consoles.

Because Nintendo wants to win back gamer cred by focusing on Zelda and N64 nostalgia

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

HyperPuma posted:

can i play the nintendo switch at a desk?

Would you play it in a house?

Would be you play it with a mouse?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Because Nintendo wants to win back gamer cred by focusing on Zelda and N64 nostalgia

If they really wanted to win back gamer cred they should've shown Madden and Call of Duty. There are people nostalgic for those games, probably

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Is the switch gonna force me to rebuy all my VC games again :argh:

how many times do you really need to play the first 90 minutes of earthbound. just let them go man. there are new games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Bass Bottles posted:

Would you play it in a house?

Would be you play it with a mouse?

Make a sequel to the snes mouse and yes.

• Locked thread