Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

As a kid, I didn't like the one that ended with Young Indy just giving up on a treasure hunt and going home. Or at least I think that's what happened, it's been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
For anyone who doesn't know, Young Indy was reedited for DVD. In contrast to Star Wars, the Lucas Special Edition treatment actually did wonders for that show. It removed the goofy, campy Old Indy sections and connected shorter episodes into longer narratives. The handful of episodes where Indy is a little boy are still pretty goofy, but they're basically a completely different show from the adventures of teenage Indy.

Everything with Sean Patrick Flannery is actually pretty incredible. The historical cameos are actually well integrated into the stories and aren't as eyerolling as they sound on paper. In fact, his friendships with Hemmingway and TE Lawrence are actually some of the best bits of the show. Outside of that it's a pretty incredible World War I drama, with incredible scope not just for the time, it still blows a lot of modern stuff out of the water. Very well written, very fun, very human, and incredibly charming. It's well, well worth giving a chance if you're interested or only remember it from being a kid.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 24, 2016

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

spacetoaster posted:

Oh yeah? Have you ever had to deal with the Celts?

Sheesh.

I wonder why the artist made them all out as Guy Fieri.

Pretty savage stuff. :colbert:

The "certain contexts" I was referring to was this:

And this:

Things have gotten much better, but imperialism left some nasty scars.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

ruddiger posted:

The ewoks are as racist as Jar Jar.

Re: not at all. That rear end Catchcum feels the need to be offended by one and not the other shows how flawed their argument is.

Ewoks speak in broken English in the ewok movies as well, to further compare them with Jar Jar.

Please quote where I gave my position on the eWoks you dumb mouth running gently caress.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

In its original context, the word "barbarian" is literally a disparaging catch-all for members of cultures considered inferior by the speaker. The etymology of the term is onomatopoetic - "bar, bar" is mimicking the sounds sheep make. The idea is that it refers to people whose civilization is so crude that even their language is closer to that of animals than that of people.

Its use denotes the speaker as openly chauvinistic and belonging to a culture that regards such chauvinism as appropriate. Like, it is the racist term.

I'm not sure it qualifies as a slur, however.

So, I've always been mistaken when thinking it referred to cultures where men habitually keep unshaven beards. I learned something tonight!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

Please quote where I gave my position on the eWoks you dumb mouth running gently caress.

Learn to read, angry internet person. I never said anything about your position on "eWoks." I said you're clearly offended more by Jar Jar than you are by the ewoks, as evidenced by how badly your brain breaks whenever someone mentions Jar Jar in the thread. Where's the equally righteous indignation at the portrayal of Ewoks? Or Jawas and Tusken Raiders in A New Hope? It's conspicuously absent yet you keep crying about the prequels.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

So, I've always been mistaken when thinking it referred to cultures where men habitually keep unshaven beards. I learned something tonight!

Yeah, that wouldn't make any sense. The ancient Greeks were the ones who used the term and they thought you were a wuss if you were clean-shaven.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

I did like how one of the final episodes of Young Indy had him fight straight up Dracula.

I believe that was the only episode with any overtly supernatural elements. And Dracula was played by Bob Peck!

feedmyleg posted:

For anyone who doesn't know, Young Indy was reedited for DVD. In contrast to Star Wars, the Lucas Special Edition treatment actually did wonders for that show. It removed the goofy, campy Old Indy sections and connected shorter episodes into longer narratives. The handful of episodes where Indy is a little boy are still pretty goofy, but they're basically a completely different show from the adventures of teenage Indy.

Everything with Sean Patrick Flannery is actually pretty incredible. The historical cameos are actually well integrated into the stories and aren't as eyerolling as they sound on paper. In fact, his friendships with Hemmingway and TE Lawrence are actually some of the best bits of the show. Outside of that it's a pretty incredible World War I drama, with incredible scope not just for the time, it still blows a lot of modern stuff out of the water. Very well written, very fun, very human, and incredibly charming. It's well, well worth giving a chance if you're interested or only remember it from being a kid.

The little boy Indy episodes are incredible I think just for Lloyd Owen's performance as young Henry Sr.

One of my favorite episode of the entire show is actually the one in Greece where Henry Sr. and nine-year-old Indy get stuck a hundred feet up in the air in a hand drawn elevator and have to improvise an escape before the rope breaks. That part at the end when they finally get to the top alive and Henry just grabs Indy in his arms and hugs him without even a hint of self-consciousness or restraint was really touching. I think that's one of two moments in the show where Henry Sr. shows any of kind pure, genuine affection for his son, the other one being when Indy comes home from the war. I'd recommend the young young Indy episodes to anyone who wants to see a well done portrayal of the early years of Indy and his dad's relationship.

Of course it's also pretty funny when Lloyd Owen shows up as Indy's dad during the Flanery episodes wearing some not-so-convincing aging makeup and a fake beard. People talk about how Sean Connery was only twelve years older than Harrison Ford. Lloyd Owen is actually younger than Sean Patrick Flanery.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 24, 2016

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Ewoks are just little Wookies slightly modified.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Sorry to interrupt barbarian chat but it looks like the Auralnauts are releasing episode 5 this Thanksgiving.

https://youtu.be/DbK49fAuB0U

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why do people always trip all over themselves to find reasons why racist poo poo isn't really racist?

As if "oh, poo poo. I had no idea" is some mark of abject failure which must be swatted down repeatedly and often in favor of warping reality so that you never hosed up to begin with.

It's okay to gently caress up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't know, why do people trip over themselves to call things racist?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Why do people always trip all over themselves to find reasons why racist poo poo isn't really racist?

As if "oh, poo poo. I had no idea" is some mark of abject failure which must be swatted down repeatedly and often in favor of warping reality so that you never hosed up to begin with.

Those who recognize real racism aren't so quick to clutch their pearls at the hint of something foreign.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

LividLiquid posted:

Maybe not everyone agrees with you about whether a particular thing is really racist or not.

Do you think Raiders of the Lost Ark would be a better film if it didn't have Alfred Molina playing the Peruvian dude in the beginning?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

sassassin posted:

I don't know, why do people trip over themselves to call things racist?

Because the first step is admitting that there's a problem.

This isn't a trite catchphrase. Some people legitimately don't see what the problem is with something racist and need to be told "hey, that's not okay" by someone else.

Serf
May 5, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

When it comes to entertainment properties, especially nerdy ones, fans are often very hesitant to acknowledge that things they like are racist.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ewoks aren't racist.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

jivjov posted:

Because the first step is admitting that there's a problem.

This isn't a trite catchphrase. Some people legitimately don't see what the problem is with something racist and need to be told "hey, that's not okay" by someone else.

Then real problem is no one can actually identify any real problem. The reason for this is that they don't understand what the real problems were with the racist roles that they're drawing comparisons to.

Anyway, on a scale of 1-10, how racist is this video of Ahmed Best doing Liam Neeson's Taken monologue in Jar Jar's voice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuoLcN_fK74&t=531s

Vintersorg posted:

Ewoks aren't racist.

They can be if you want them to be. And the best part is, you get to shame people for disagreeing!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

*approaches someone on the street speaking with an accent*

"HEY. stop being racist."

Serf
May 5, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Ewoks aren't racist.

Well of course not. The movies never depict any sort of racial strife between ewoks (I haven't seen the ewok movies, so maybe they do?).

But ewoks definitely are descended from sensationalized racist myths and stereotypes concerning a variety of human indigenous peoples. That doesn't make Lucas or anyone else involved in their creation racist, mind you.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Star Wars: Don't call me a mindless philosopher you overweight blob of grease!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Princess Leia calling Han a nerf herder is problematic.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 25, 2016

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

ruddiger posted:

Princess Leia calling Han a nerf herder is problematic.

Look, man, its either nerf or nothing.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

satan snype

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Star Wars Satan is a drunk. Even Richard Pryor knew it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJkhEcQ44k&t=205s

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

All of us are going to burn in space hell.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Since it's the page for it my brother in law is going to take my nephew (going as Darth Vader) trick or treating on Halloween.

Last week he put on the Palpatine costume he picked up, complete with rubber mask.

If Darth Vader was a toddler I imagine he would've cried like that too, my nephew's done a good job getting into character.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Jeri Satan

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Saesee_Tiin

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Filthy Casual posted:

Look, man, its either nerf or nothing.

Once you go nerf, you never go... klurf?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
All this denigration of Jar Jar's rustic way of speaking made me think of something. From Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces, Chapter I, "The Call to Adventure":

quote:

But she [the princess] thought: 'How that simple frog chatters! There he sits in the water with his own kind, and could never be the companion of a human being.'

From George Lucas's The Phantom Menace:

quote:

JAR JAR : I spake.
QUI-GON : The ability to speak does not make you intelligent. Now get outta
here!

Campbell goes on:

Joseph Campbell posted:

....This is an example of one of the ways in which the adventure can begin. A blunder--apparently the merest chance--reveals an unsuspected world, and the individual is drawn into a relationship with forces that are not rightly understood. As Freud has shown,blunders are not the merest chance. They are the result of suppressed desires and conflicts. They are ripples on the surface of life, produced by unsuspected springs. And these may be very deep-as deep as the soul itself. The blunder may amount to the opening of a destiny....

Jar Jar is, of course, Blunder personified:

Joseph Campbell posted:

As a preliminary manifestation of the powers that are breaking into play, the frog, coming up [to the surface of the water] as it were by miracle, can be termed the "herald"; the crisis of his appearance is the "call to adventure."...

Joseph Campbell posted:

Typical of the circumstances of the call are the dark forest, the great tree, the babbling spring, and the loathly, underestimated appearance of the carrier of the power of destiny. We recognize in the scene the symbols of the World Navel.The frog, the little dragon, is the nursery counterpart of the underworld serpent whose head supports the earth and who represents the life-progenitive, demiurgic powers of the abyss.

Later, traveling through the Planet Core--a.k..a the center of the Earth, the axis mundi, the World Navel--our heroes encounter various underwater monsters, the malignant counterparts of the more benign "little dragons" of the abyss known as the Gungans. The largest and most powerful of these monsters, the sando aqua monster, has the striking appearance of a sea serpent or underwater dragon with the head of a lion:

This is in line with the Gnostic conception of the "demiurgic powers" referred to by Campbell, which is an underworld deity represented as a serpent with the head of a lion known as Ialdabaoth:

Wikipedia posted:

Yaldabaoth is frequently called "the Lion-faced", leontoeides, with the body of a serpent.

It could be a coincidence, but if it is it's a neat one. And Lucas was reading at least one book about Gnosticism as part of his research for the The Phantom Menace:

Continuing on with Campbell:

Joseph Campbell posted:

....The disgusting and rejected frog or dragon of the fairy tale brings up the sun ball in its mouth; for the frog, the serpent, the rejected one, is the representative of that unconscious deep ("so deep that the bottom cannot be seen") wherein are hoarded all of the rejected, unadmitted, unrecognized, unknown, or undeveloped factors, laws, and elements of existence. Those are the pearls of the fabled submarine palaces of the nixies, tritons, and water guardians; the jewels that give light to the demon cities of the underworld; the fire seeds in the ocean of immortality which supports the earth and surrounds it like a snake; the stars in the bosom of immortal night. Those are the nuggets in the gold hoard of the dragon; the guarded apples of the Hesperides; the filaments of the Golden Fleece.

Joseph Campbell posted:

The herald or announcer of the adventure, therefore, is often dark, loathly, or terrifying, judged evil by the world; yet if one could follow, the way would be opened through the walls of day into the dark where the jewels glow. Or the herald is a beast (as in the fairy tale), representative of the repressed instinctual fecundity within ourselves, or again a veiled mysterious figure-the unknown.

Jar Jar is the frog, the little dragon, the beast, the sticky-tongued counterpart to the devouring monsters of the deep. He's an avatar of humanity's subconscious, of their blundering, non-rational, animal instincts (similar to Chewbacca in the OT, "always thinking with his stomach"). Being a frog himself, his appetite for smaller frogs mirrors the monstrous fishes' appetite for smaller fish (and bongos):

All of which mirrors the relationship of the Sith to the Trade Federation to the Naboo, the larger fish in the chain gobbling up the smaller fish, and the largest fish ultimately gobbling up both.

Jar Jar is also one of several primary personifications of different aspects of the Force which appear in the film--the other main ones being Qui-Gon Jinn, Darth Maul, and Anakin Skywalker. Anakin Skywalker contains all of these personifications within himself to some degree: the instinctive, blunder-prone nature of Jar Jar; the wisdom and compassion of Qui-Gon Jinn; and the unacknowledged fear of loss (otherwise known as greed) masking a phantom evil, incarnated in the film as the shadow-cloaked, lurking figure of Darth Maul.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
A guy dumb enough to literally crib from story 101 might also not be intelligent enough to handle serious race issues deftly.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A guy speaking in an accent is a serious race issue only because you're making it out to be. Too bad the movie's message of tolerance didn't get through to you. Luckily, you have the Force Awakens to draw it for you in big fat crayon drawn letters.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

A guy dumb enough to literally crib from story 101 might also not be intelligent enough to handle serious race issues deftly.

Why would drawing on "story 101" be a dumb thing? Like that was actually fairly intelligent of Lucas to do so because it gave the original movie its structure.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A shame there aren't really race issues with Ewoks.

Now if you want to talk about that, maybe Nute Gunray and his ensemble of Asian stereotypes will be a better target.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Now if you want to talk about that, maybe Nute Gunray and his ensemble of Asian stereotypes will be a better target.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hahaha the idea of a person who's never been a professional writer in any capacity(an assumption, please correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt I am) criticizing Lucas for using "story 101" is pretty hilarious.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not the politics thread

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Why does this feel so familiar...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bongo Bill posted:

Why does this feel so familiar...?

You tell me Mr.Snark.

• Locked thread