Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Annnnd ultimates downed.

Definitely more relaxing than the last sets, for a given definition of relaxing that is hold loving still and let me hit you.

Man, I just need a few more levels on my mages before I feel comfy with them against Ultimate-level fights...

Upshot, dropping an RW Pecil BSB on them with Leon swinging double +holy gear and Basch with one +holy and one synergy Defender was cathartic. It was like Esthar Invasion, except I wrecked them horribly on my first go with one medal lost. :black101:

Watching a single knight drum on your team for four hits or MT your entire team is still really irritating though. Especially when it keeps happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I didn't actually have any real native magic attacker BSBs before (just Selphie, who only half counts), so Maria has really increased my chances in the black mage nightmares. :woop: Now to see if I can draw Rydia BSB on Kain 1 and get some really nasty earth attacking going. Maria is already an excellent Meltdown carrier though, with how rarely earth is resisted!

e: Oh god, Kaiser Dragon is the absolute worst holy poo poo

And I can't even bring in a medica because I have to RW sheepsong :gonk: At least I have SG, I'd be completely loving dead if I didn't

I guess I just need to level up my guys, because that was...that was a shitshow. I was bringing along Vivi, Vincent, and Maria as attackers, Tyro as a support/SG holder, and Exdeath as a healer. Also I guess I need infinite -ja hones so they can actually last through the drat fight. Would it be worth bringing a non-nightmare synergy healer like Relm or Lenna instead of Exdeath to give access to a medica?

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 24, 2016

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Ultimate, Ultimate+ with CM, and Ultimate++ mastered.

Ultimate was "spam Saint Cross with PCecil, use Paladin Force, spam it some more, win". No challenge.

Ultimate+ CM Team:

Firion (LV73) | Ace Striker | Giant's Gloves+ (5*+ RS)/Red Armlet/Fabled Coin | Lifesiphon R4/Full Charge R3 (SB: Vow of the Wild Rose)
Leon (LV79) | Mako Might | Excalibur (FF4)/Golden Armor (5* RS)/Thief's Stole | Draw Fire R4/Saint Cross R3 (SB: Hand of the Emperor)
Leila (LV65) | Al Bhed Ingenuity | Cat Claws+++ (4*+++ RS)/Thunder Gloves | Squall's Necklace | Dismissal R4/Thief's Revenge R3 (SB: none)
Gordon (LV65) | Dr. Mog's Teachings | Wing Sword+++ (4*+++ RS)/Flame Shield (5* RS)/Hero's Belt | Power Breakdown R4/Full Break R2 (SB: Goddess's Bell)
Minwu (LV65) | Battleforged | Judgment Staff++/Mystery Veil/Gauntlets | Curaja R4/Protectga R1 (SB: Shared AOE Heal SB from Mystery Veil)

RW: Shout

Also no challenge, just unbelievably annoying because of the very high evasion. Most of the damage came from Firion's Lifesiphon and SB because they couldn't miss, but the boss didn't do enough to otherwise scare me.

Ultimate++ was "use Paladin Force with PCecil, Lifesiphon spam on the last Death Knight until I can use it again, use it to murder the next wave, more Lifesiphon spam, use it twice". Not even worth the team write-up, just know Tyro spammed dances, Sephiroth spammed Samurai skills and then used his BSB entering phase 3 for maximum hurt, Ramza spammed Lifesiphon to charge up Tailwind and use it if needed (it was not needed), and Y'sholta set up SSII and Protectga and then spammed Curaja. Not a very difficult U++ for me, but I can see how it would be painful if you didn't have a Holy BSB or SSII/SG.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Would it be better to RW shout/sheepsong as normal for the U++, or bring along Garnet with Divine Guardian for Hastega, Selphie with Strange Vision for Faithga, and then spam a RW Dagger of Resolve and Maria's second BSB command? I have very little natural AoE capability, about all I have is the aforementioned off-command of Maria's BSB and some assorted SBs/SSBs. All of my BSBs are extremely single target oriented.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Stacking two faithgas + devotion + sunfire command on Maria is just...

:boom:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Inge posted:

Stacking two faithgas + devotion + sunfire command on Maria is just...

:boom:

+ Gaia's Vest?

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

ETB posted:

+ Gaia's Vest?

Unfortunately not. I could get it from tyro's select right now but too many good banners coming.

If I whiff on Larsa + Minfilla, I'll go back to get it and dive Maria to her fullest capacity.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Hmmm, I've been thinking about it. I've been waiting for a good banner to drop some Mithril on to get some nice Faithgas and other Magic-Related party relics, considering my main A-Team party is pretty... complete by now. Thanks you, Climhazzard/Finishing Touch Cloud with Faris's Imperil Wind SSB.

Is there any good banners coming up for that, for building a nice mage-based party?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Cosmic Afro posted:

Hmmm, I've been thinking about it. I've been waiting for a good banner to drop some Mithril on to get some nice Faithgas and other Magic-Related party relics, considering my main A-Team party is pretty... complete by now. Thanks you, Climhazzard/Finishing Touch Cloud with Faris's Imperil Wind SSB.

Is there any good banners coming up for that, for building a nice mage-based party?

Someone linked this super-handy guide earlier https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/52agoo/mage_meta_ultimate_guide_what_relics_to_look_out/

There's a batch coming up of XIV, XIII, and a Nightmare Lucky Draw all in a row that sounds like it can basically take you from 0 to a godly mage team all on its own. Hell, they make it sound like just the Nightmare draw is enough, if you can hold out 2 months, which feels like a long-rear end time for this game. On the plus side, that means plenty of time to save mythril!

edit: There's also the OSB fest banner at the end of next month, but it sounds like people aren't sure if the relics are going to get shuffled around at all compared to the JP version. If not, that looks like another awesome one.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Dear lord, I've worked out a formula that juuuuust barely lets me squeak through Kaiser Dragon, but resetting it until I happen to get both lightning and water in the three weaknesses before I push to phase 3 is a chore and a half

What a badly-designed fight

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Well, made a pull on the second banner since I needed more FF2 synergy.

I... guess that counts? Seems that Josef at least has been buffed since I last used him over a year ago, and at least this SB doesn't involve suicide? :shrug:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I guess I just need to level up my guys, because that was...that was a shitshow. I was bringing along Vivi, Vincent, and Maria as attackers, Tyro as a support/SG holder, and Exdeath as a healer. Also I guess I need infinite -ja hones so they can actually last through the drat fight. Would it be worth bringing a non-nightmare synergy healer like Relm or Lenna instead of Exdeath to give access to a medica?

What kind of "support" are you having Tyro doing? Kaiser Dragon, like most Nightmare bosses, is IMMUNE to break effects, in case you were doing that. Basically you want to fill two slots with Curaja/Shellga, and the rest can all be damage.

Also, I totally planned to pull on these II banners, but my pulls have been so poo poo lately that I'm basically chickening out. Besides, too many people in this thread have pulled Maria's bow for me to ever get it.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Soul Breaks from Japan:

Kefka's WTF, YOU MONSTER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmZ9elRv7Qw
Cyan gets something useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzr2PGD_qN8
Celes did not, in fact, need Locke's help escaping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkX9zxxxsx8

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

H O L Y S H I T I NEVER HAVE TO DO THAT FIGHT AGAIN AND THAT IS A WONDERFUL THING

I did the first 2/3rds of this boss, like...15 times. If I'd not gotten champion because of turns taken or something I would have actually screamed and possibly quit the game. Jesus christ, what a boss. The only reason I survived was because Vivi had a shared medica and Tyro was madly spamming magic blink in the final phase so we wouldn't all get gibbed while Maria used her BSB actions.

...Her BSB action is INSANE when it gets up to 5 hits.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've found the rhythm for Firion's burst commands. In the long U+ fight from FF9 I got him up to the max eight hits on his attack command and found it extremely enjoyable.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

NaanViolence posted:

I've found the rhythm for Firion's burst commands. In the long U+ fight from FF9 I got him up to the max eight hits on his attack command and found it extremely enjoyable.

It is mathematically worse to use that command unless you get through three full bursts!

...Her BSB action is INSANE when it gets up to 5 hits.

:ssh: it doesn't cap at 5, it caps at 6 :ssh:

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
That U++ was fun

On top of getting Pencils BSB from the first Burstfest (and he's been running through the hardest stuff ever since)

On that DU Lucky Draw, I picked up Hopes BSB :getin:

Put Tyro on Multi-break duty, and between 2 native Holy bursts and Celes' BSB RW I dont think those poor knights ever stood a chance

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

That U++ is a straight up holy damage check. "Do you have Saint Cross/a holy BSB/well-honed Alexander?" If so, those goons melt. It's also a good stage for spamming SBs since there's so many attacks flying around. I can't envision doing it without protectga/wall combo, though. It's scratch damage when mitigated, but without all your defenses in place they will burn you down quick.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Not that interested in the FF2 banners, but gonna drop 100 gems on both banners. Pulled on Keeper's Choice #2 and..

Hell yeah son.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Man, Lamia Queen is pretty rough. I have terrible II synergy and her just loving status is not fun. I can get her down to 30-40% in most attempts before I run out of steam.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
100 gems got me no synergy for FFII, just two 4*, a Sledgehammer from FFXII(vendor trash) and dancing dagger(vaulted it). Can't win 'em all :P

Armitage fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 24, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Woo, bonus battles down.

U+ Cid's Mission was incredibly annoying thanks to Lamia Queen's high evasion even without Blink. Tried it with a mage team and that got me nowhere, so I went and honed up Pound to R4 - it's better mileage than Full Charge if even one of the FC hits misses.

Also got to dust off those FFI accessories that I pretty much never use.

U++ was a lot more fun. Bless Vaan and his Pyroclasms. Made the mistake of bringing Celes instead of Ingus (who has more DEF and his SSB) since I forgot the latter gets Haste now, but no harm no foul.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Her high evasion actually caused me to start over, thinking I had messed up the application of reflect.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Varance posted:

Soul Breaks from Japan:

Celes did not, in fact, need Locke's help escaping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkX9zxxxsx8

These are great :allears:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Varance posted:

Soul Breaks from Japan:

Was there a reason they showed Celes using Magic Lure in her video?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
... Wow, they really got the difficulties of the U+ and the U++ rear end-backwards this time around. :psyduck:

Beatrix: Lifesiphon R3, Banishing Strike R3, Seiken Shock
Tyro: Alexander R3, Multibreak R1, Sentinel's Grimoire
Leon: Draw Fire R2, Aegis Strike R2
Minwu: Protectga R2, Curaga R4, Will of the White Mage
Cecil: Life Siphon R3, Saint's Cross R2, Paladin Force

RW: Shout

:toot:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Was there a reason they showed Celes using Magic Lure in her video?

Her OSB gains potency the more often she gets targeted by magic. Don't know starting potency or how much it increases by every time she's targeted, though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Inge posted:

Unfortunately not. I could get it from tyro's select right now but too many good banners coming.

If I whiff on Larsa + Minfilla, I'll go back to get it and dive Maria to her fullest capacity.

Unless you sold it, you already have a Gaia Gear with +earth damage. Hint: It's a 4 star relic.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Her OSB gains potency the more often she gets targeted by magic. Don't know starting potency or how much it increases by every time she's targeted, though.

1100/1200/1300/1400 potency with 0/5/12/20 magic hits sent her way.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
is blink dispellable?

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Dear lord, I've worked out a formula that juuuuust barely lets me squeak through Kaiser Dragon, but resetting it until I happen to get both lightning and water in the three weaknesses before I push to phase 3 is a chore and a half

What a badly-designed fight

The Kaiser Dragon Nightmare isn't a horrible fight. Mechanics-wise, I'd say it's a pretty fun and difficult fight. The mastery requirements are what is badly designed. It should never have required hitting those two specific elements, because at that point it's all up to RNG whether you master or not. If it had been "hit KD with magic he is weak to" and "use magic on the crystal to give your party elemental resistance" as requirements, it wouldn't have been nearly the hassle most people felt it to be. This is all beside the point, though. Congrats on mastering it!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

is blink dispellable?

I think so. Once Banishing Strike finally hit and I got Reflect on the Lamia Queen I was hitting far more often (though I still missed here and there because holy gently caress that evasion stat). It could just be confirmation bias though

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

Zurai posted:

1100/1200/1300/1400 potency with 0/5/12/20 magic hits sent her way.
Huh, at those figures that's close to entirely a downside, albiet a small one. Eating 12 turns of magic to the dome is a very long fight, let alone 20.

'course, looking the thing up I find it's Holy/Wind, so who cares, still good.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

is blink dispellable?

The answer is supposedly no, and that fits my experience...

U-DO Burger posted:

I think so. Once Banishing Strike finally hit and I got Reflect on the Lamia Queen I was hitting far more often (though I still missed here and there because holy gently caress that evasion stat). It could just be confirmation bias though

... but, it does, however, have a duration and it's not super long(25s). So there's that.

(On the record, I used Maria's Song on that fight, so the quad-hits prooooobably made it pretty clear when Blink went down, or "HOLY GOD THE ENTIRE THING MISSED" vs "Okay one hit missed", but it's randomization so I still could be wrong and Banishing Strike was dispelling it. I dunno. It looked like it wasn't dispelling though.)

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 24, 2016

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Uh wow I was expecting the bonus battles to be easier because FFII synergy isn't too common but holy poo poo that U++ battle was pathetic

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I pulled on FF2 hoping for some physical BSB

I got minwu SSB.

I have 1 whm BSB, 2 other white Mage ssbs, and like 3 party cure sbs

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Well it was damned close but I completed the U++ JP side, and even eked out the Mastery thanks to Terra's Blaze. :toot:

Now to eagerly await that World of Final Fantasy banner and see what kind of goodies it holds. If it's good enough I should be able to pull together 150 Mythril to dump on it, especially since the Locke and Celes banners didn't really impress me.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
...I couldn't beat Meltigemini. :smithicide:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Varance posted:

Soul Breaks from Japan:

What is that fake rear end laugh? I'll Rosetta this poo poo instantly if I happen to pull it. :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

U-DO Burger posted:

Uh wow I was expecting the bonus battles to be easier because FFII synergy isn't too common but holy poo poo that U++ battle was pathetic

Pretty sure the Events for Realms that Get very few events are generally easier because their synergy isn't too common.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Dr Pepper posted:

Pretty sure the Events for Realms that Get very few events are generally easier because their synergy isn't too common.

FFIII's Bahamut Ultimate disagrees with you, but it's the only exception I can think of here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

U-DO Burger posted:

It's basically Esthar terminators on 'roids but with a common weakness. If you have SG/SSII or Pecil BSB of course it'll be easy. For most other people they might actually be struggling with the incoming damage, especially on wave 3.

• Locked thread