Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spider-Man 2 was great in world where we didn't have much to choose from. Now it's a middle of the road film with a wet blanket lead, a terribly cast lead actress, and a pretty great villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

I'm more amazed that all of Raimi's Spider-Man films are so humourless. JK Simmons is the only performer to consistently get laughs. (Well, him and Bruce Campbell)
Spider-Man 2 especially is so maudlin and blatantly emotionally manipulative that you can basically hear Raimi and Elfman screaming "CRY drat YOU!" over the string section.

Spider-Man is half soap opera in origin, so it's kind of appropriate.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

X-O posted:

Spider-Man 2 was great in world where we didn't have much to choose from. Now it's a middle of the road film with a wet blanket lead, a terribly cast lead actress, and a pretty great villain.

It still has one of the best action set pieces in any comic book film to date imo. I remember seeing the train scene in theaters and being completely overwhelmed by what I was seeing. And Tobey's weird looking angry face sold me on him exerting himself to his limits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

teagone posted:

It still has one of the best action set pieces in any comic book film to date imo. I remember seeing the train scene in theaters and being completely overwhelmed by what I was seeing. And Tobey's weird looking angry face sold me on him exerting himself to his limits.

One sequence does not redeem a film fill of Dunst.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Tobey is incapable of delivering lines with humor. The ONE time he succeeded with the right attitude and it was a gay joke so not so good.

I actually think his voice acting in the SM2 video game is actually good, and it is too bad that it didn't transcend to film.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rhyno posted:

One sequence does not redeem a film fill of Dunst.

I guess; I didn't really like Dunst either. Raimi did gently caress up by not casting Topher Grace and Bryce Dallas Howard first.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

This is it. People remember Molina being great and forget the rest. It even has the cliche bit where the hero gives up and throws his stuff away, but then is brought back. As is said, it was great when there was the Spider-Man films and like Daredevil, but now with stuff like Winter Soldier out there, its okay at best.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kirsten Dunst is a great actress, the problems with MJ were script and direction-related.

twistedmentat posted:

It even has the cliche bit where the hero gives up and throws his stuff away, but then is brought back.

You mean the cliche that SPIDER-MAN INVENTED?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

This is it. People remember Molina being great and forget the rest. It even has the cliche bit where the hero gives up and throws his stuff away, but then is brought back.

Dude that's like Spider-Man 101 though (or Spider-Man 50 to be exact :eng101:). Everyone knows that SPIDER-MAN NO MORE cover. In this day and age where people are so giddy whenever praise Marvel over DC for "embracing their comic roots" or whatever bullshit gets written in movie reviews and/or nerd thinkpieces, I'm always surprised to see the Raimi movies get knocked because they match the overwrought drama of a superhero comic perfectly, along with some great fights for early 2000s CGI. Like sure, Spider-Man didn't crack enough Jokes Per Second to satisfy your personal quota (i would've liked more too, fwiw) but they are good films :colbert:

Well... 2 of them are, at least :shrug:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 24, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

teagone posted:

I guess; I didn't really like Dunst either. Raimi did gently caress up by not casting Topher Grace and Bryce Dallas Howard first.

Neither of them were on anyone's radar at that point really. Grace was in That 70's Show but he was being overshadowed by everyone else. And BDH was a nobody, she didn't even have a major role until two years later. It's a shame they didn't reboot the franchise with them in 2007.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's weird to me how people blame Tobey Maguire for that version of Spider-man being too dour. You guys know he didn't write the script, right?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

Alfred Molina directed by Sam Raimi, what's not to love?

every other thing in that movie

also octopus as a rando sympathetic scientist controlled by his tentacles is crazy lame

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Why don't you guys just go back to talking about how good Ant-man is.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Raimi Spider-Man movies feel like a blend of Hollywood crossed with broadway, and I love it. Spider-Man 2 might not track with newer fans, but its a good time capsule.Most superhero movies have a limited shelf life, and should be appreciated with the time it was filmed in mind.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Open Marriage Night posted:

The Raimi Spider-Man movies feel like a blend of Hollywood crossed with broadway, and I love it. Spider-Man 2 might not track with newer fans, but its a good time capsule.Most superhero movies have a limited shelf life, and should be appreciated with the time it was filmed in mind.

I didn't like it at the time either!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

It's weird to me how people blame Tobey Maguire for that version of Spider-man being too dour. You guys know he didn't write the script, right?

His performance is lovely and that's what I take issue with.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The first Rami movie had Hero by Nickleback on it's soundtrack, so that redeems it of any sins imo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

WickedHate posted:

The first Rami movie had Hero by Nickleback on it's soundtrack, so that redeems it of any sins imo.

Is this real

Am i in some horrible dream

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Look WH no one cares what you do on your own time but there are some shameful secrets that you keep to yourself even in this, the forum named for shameful secrets

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 24, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
As a young nerd in the early 2000's, SM and SM2 came at exactly the right time and they were fun as hell to see in theaters. However, I haven't watched them in a decade and I'm afraid they won't hold up.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hero wasn't even Nickelback you nerds, it was just their lead singer.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Spider-man stole that guy's pizza.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People hating on Dunst is weird. She wasn't allowed to even do anything in 1 and 2. She did things in three and they weren't good but it doesn't effect the other two.

Plus she is still better than whatever the gently caress Emma Stone was.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

As a young nerd in the early 2000's, SM and SM2 came at exactly the right time and they were fun as hell to see in theaters. However, I haven't watched them in a decade and I'm afraid they won't hold up.

Two holds up!

One? Ehhhhhhhhh.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I tried watching SM1 a couple years back and I just couldn't make it through. The dialogue is loving awful.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spider-Man 2 is definitely top 5 Superhero movie material. I don't agree with Lurdiak often, but I'd also take it over any of the MCU stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not sure Spider-Man 2 is one of my top superhero movies (but I'd include stuff like Incredibles in there) but it's easily the best Spider-Man film.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

WickedHate posted:

You're the one who's out WickedHate. OUT OF YOUR MIND!!!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure Spider-Man 2 is one of my top superhero movies (but I'd include stuff like Incredibles in there) but it's easily the best Spider-Man film.

Homecoming has promise, but for now I'd agree that SM2 is the best Spider-Man movie.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Roth posted:

You're the one who's out WickedHate. OUT OF YOUR MIND!!!

FINISH IT!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh god I forgot about that.

That prayer scene is maybe the worst thing in the history of cinema and yeah I've seen the Catwoman basketball scene. Rosemary Harris should have to return every award she's ever won.

No wait I forgot the Franco/Dunst cooking dance scene.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

No wait I forgot the Franco/Dunst cooking dance scene.

The what?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the 3rd movie, when Franco has brain damage there's a dance scene as they make omelettes or something.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And the pie is so, so good.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah James Franco being a weird fucker is the only good thing about 3. That and the spider sense line.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's lots of good things in Spider-man 3, they're just in a jumbled mess of a movie where one scene has very little to do with the next.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Sandman stuff belonged in a better movie

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

That prayer scene is maybe the worst thing in the history of cinema and yeah I've seen the Catwoman basketball scene. Rosemary Harris should have to return every award she's ever won.

Whoa whoa there... Rosemary Harris is easily one of the best things about the whole Raimi series! Not liking the 'deliver us from evil' lines is having a problem with the cornball genre script, not her delivery. Her role isn't as obviously hammy as the Goblin or Jameson so the couple times it happens stands out more but she does as well as Dafoe and Simmons do in bringing everything she's got.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

That prayer scene is maybe the worst thing in the history of cinema and yeah I've seen the Catwoman basketball scene.

You and I are enemies now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm going to scare the gently caress out of your grandma aunt.

• Locked thread