Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I noticed that one of the British units says "if Victoria is leader" which suggests that they're going to add other leaders for civs down the line. Not that it should be surprising. I hope England gets either Henry VIII, George III or Henry V. I don't think and of them have been leaders yet.

Hopefully all the civs from 5 will make an appearance, but Italy should be in there, not Venice. Though someone suggested that Genoa was in the files. Italy at the time of unification was from Milan wasn't it? Or was Turin the captial of the Peidmont? Also like to see Romania as well. Canada or Australia should be in the game as well, I mean if Brazil can be a civ, why not them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taters
Jun 13, 2005

Pick Germany

Chop Trees

Spam Hanse

Wait for Nerf

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On a tangent from that, I'm wondering what old civs will get folded in via leaders rather than be full-fledged civs this time around, if any. Like, Barbarossa is the leader of Germany, despite being the Holy Roman Emperor; this both implies that the HRE isn't returning, and gives the opportunity for a more "German" leader of Germany.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

twistedmentat posted:

I noticed that one of the British units says "if Victoria is leader" which suggests that they're going to add other leaders for civs down the line. Not that it should be surprising. I hope England gets either Henry VIII, George III or Henry V. I don't think and of them have been leaders yet.

Hopefully all the civs from 5 will make an appearance, but Italy should be in there, not Venice. Though someone suggested that Genoa was in the files. Italy at the time of unification was from Milan wasn't it? Or was Turin the captial of the Peidmont? Also like to see Romania as well. Canada or Australia should be in the game as well, I mean if Brazil can be a civ, why not them?

David Cameron will be the other British leader. A new bonus resource, pork will be added. Britain gets +4 culture from any sources of pork.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Charlie Brooker as a Great Writer would be good

Edit: Seriously the quote for Chichen Itza is attributed to "IslaDeb", it smacks of an undergrad procrastinating on their term paper and scrambling at the last minute

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I feel like Culture and Science are blurred far too close together in this game. It's not really possible to get ahead in science without also getting ahead in culture or vice versa, because of how the Eurekas and Inspirations interplay with each other. If you start getting too far ahead in one you'll start missing out on boosts which leads to the other catching up. In Civ5 you could be really advanced in one and pretty backward in the other, but that doesn't feel like it's realistically possible in 6.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

twistedmentat posted:

George III seems like a weird choice.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Roland Jones posted:

On a tangent from that, I'm wondering what old civs will get folded in via leaders rather than be full-fledged civs this time around, if any. Like, Barbarossa is the leader of Germany, despite being the Holy Roman Emperor; this both implies that the HRE isn't returning, and gives the opportunity for a more "German" leader of Germany.

Probably a missed opportunity, could have had Charlemagne as the alternative leader. Who would they choose as a Bismarck alternative?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There are plenty of choices, depending on how liberal you want to be with your definition of "Germany".

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

twistedmentat posted:

Genoa would be a great civ for bonuses to settling on different continents

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Team Liquid Civ VI eSports team can have a more challenging experience

who the gently caress is this guy? apparently he was good at civ4, and civ5 in the early days, but does he compare against people like filthy or anzleon or yoorus? and apparently he was briefly #1 in civ4 duels on one website

https://www.twitch.tv/mrgametheory

quote:

Past Gaming Accomplishments:

Ranked #1 in the world Civilization IV

Ranked #1 in the world Civilization Revolution

Ranked #1 in the world Civilization V

Ranked #1 in the world Magic the Gathering DOTP 2012

Ranked #1 in the world Mission Risk.

Ranked #1 in the world Pixel Purge.

Ranked #1 in the world Heroes of Might & Magic HK (Squires Stand server).

Highest score Desktop Tower Defense Fun 10,000.

Guild Master for #1 ranked PVP guild in Ultima Online (AOL Legends shard) LoD - Lords of Destruction.

Administrator for the Largest Civilization Group on Steam. Civilization V Tournaments.

lmao i suspect he's more about self promotion and managed to hustle himself a job

he better not loving drum out other players that try to sign up

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Dogpiling isn't the AI playing to win, it's the AI playing to make you lose.

If you're okay with being dogpiled when you're about to win, would you be okay with being dogpiled to prevent you from starting to win? What about right at the start of the game? If the AI's express purpose is to leverage every nation against you so that you lose why not just remove diplomacy and peace conditions from the game entirely and start in a permanent 1v7 war?

The role of the AI is not to prevent you from winning. It's to provide challenges and opportunities while you play.

i'm pretty sure it does this by trying to prevent you from winning so it can win

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Man, religion can be a bit wonky in this game. Harald founds Protestantism. I crush Harald (in the midst of this Harald takes Paris so I get two capitals for the cheap warmongering cost of eradicating one civ in the Classical era). I then found Baba Yetu (I'm saving Sogno Di Volare for a game I go for science victory) and suddenly notice that Nidaros is no longer Protestant. Oh well, just makes my attempted religoius victory that much easier.

Also, oh man Maryannu Chariots...they're basically super-fast, super strong archers. Yum. 23 defense, 33 ranged strength, 4 moves in the early game just chews up anything. Oh and they upgrade into crossbows which avoids Civ V's issues with ranged units suddenly becoming melee units with a bunch of worthless promotions, so they literally are archers in a way.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zohar posted:

They really phoned it in with a lot of the quotes, the wonders/natural wonders have some particularly terrible ones from recent travel books and Some Guy Online

Though I don't really care since I skip them all anyway after a certain point

The Kilimanjaro quote is just awful.

They should have gone with a line from Toto's Africa.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
also man, i don't wanna be anti-canadasist here, but the culture and history of brazil seems a lot... idk, richer than canadian history?

plus, what would even be their deal. maybe australia could have bonuses for being on an island or have resource monopolies or maybe they would require less amenities or something? canadas bonus would be instant alliance with america and shares half its bonuses

i like theorycrafting new civs, it's fun

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Khagan posted:

Probably a missed opportunity, could have had Charlemagne as the alternative leader. Who would they choose as a Bismarck alternative?

Not sure, but given that the HRE didn't make it into V either, I'm not surprised it's all-but-confirmed to be cut here. (I guess they could add it and move Barbarossa over after giving Germany another leader or two, but that seems unlikely.)

Given how much they're putting into each civ this time, and also how limited some options are (districts that don't have unique equivalents yet are the Campus, Encampments, Commercial Hub, Aerodome, and technically the Spaceport and City Center), either we're eventually going to see multiple unique versions of the same standard things, or they're going to keep the civ number relatively low and diversify through leaders. Probably both to some degree, really; as stated, we're already seeing the HRE folded into Germany.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, in my opinion; Gorgo and Pericles show that they can still take civs in very different directions and cover different aspects or areas of the civ's history or geography, so it's a relatively easy way for them to diversify things without making quite as much from scratch. I wonder how else they may use that going forward; for the most part it seems like they can be relatively subtle (Sparta versus Athens, or bringing Isabella back for Spain or something), but on the other hand there's, well, again, HRE Germany versus, say, modern-ish Germany or something. Hopefully they do more interesting things with it going forward.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: Seriously the quote for Chichen Itza is attributed to "IslaDeb", it smacks of an undergrad procrastinating on their term paper and scrambling at the last minute

When you google "Chichen Itza quote", IslaDeb's travel blog is the 7th result.

Fister Roboto posted:

The Kilimanjaro quote is just awful.

When you google "Kilimanjaro quote", Nancy Bonds' article is the 9th result.

In sum: :rolleyes:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

When you google "Chichen Itza quote", IslaDeb's travel blog is the 7th result.

When you google "Kilimanjaro quote", Nancy Bonds' article is the 9th result.

In sum: :rolleyes:

Sneak peek of the coming Persia DLC leader intro:

"Cyrus the Great, you were the founder of the Achaemenid Empire.[7] Under your rule, the empire embraced all the previous civilized states of the ancient Near East,[7] expanded vastly and eventually conquered most of Southwest Asia and much of Central Asia and the Caucasus. From the Mediterranean Sea and Hellespont in the west to the Indus River in the east, you, Cyrus the Great created the largest empire the world had yet seen.[8]

I hope you enjoyed listening to this introduction of your character as much as I enjoyed writing it."

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

My late-game Gilgamesh game won't load :(

Keeps hanging up and being unresponsive when trying to load, argh. I was getting a bit bored of the usual civ 'press End Turn to win' slog, but I still wanted to see it through to the end :(

That being said, his ability to get village rewards from barbarian camps is very useful late-game. Yes please, I'll have Eureka boosts for Plastics, Synthetic Materials and Computers.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3

nimby posted:

My late-game Gilgamesh game won't load :(

Keeps hanging up and being unresponsive when trying to load, argh. I was getting a bit bored of the usual civ 'press End Turn to win' slog, but I still wanted to see it through to the end :(

That being said, his ability to get village rewards from barbarian camps is very useful late-game. Yes please, I'll have Eureka boosts for Plastics, Synthetic Materials and Computers.

I had this problem with my game earlier, worked fine yesterday and then today it refused to load. Disabling Windows Defender made it work again, I have no idea why but it works!

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Cool cleopatra spawned in my game with the queen of the Nile and paranoid traits, one of them makes her love civs with big armies the other one makes her hate them

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is it possible to maintain a good amount of amenities without Entertainment District? I feel that it's always necessary to build that, I know, luxury resources, but it never seems to be enough.

Also I cant hover the amenities value to see what's affecting it?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Am I supposed to stop growing my cities at some point and just go "you're done" or is it supposed to be a constant struggle to get enough food and housing from start to finish with every city I settle? :saddowns:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

twistedmentat posted:

The way you've written this makes it sounds like you don't realise Greece already has two leaders!

I was shocked to see that things like steel add production to lumbermills and etc, it doesn't make that clear enough I feel. Sharing the same irritation as the fact that sometimes you can't build an improvement and the game doesn't tell you why you can't.
I had a forest on hills that it refused to let me build a lumbermill in. I have no idea why.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

taters posted:

Pick Germany

Chop Trees

Spam Hanse

Wait for Nerf

Considering how crippling bad flat land is in this game, I am considering playing only Germany from now on. I made the mistake of building a city on mostly plains and grassland, the city has already reached 9 pop and it takes it 30+ turns to build one loving district. I know there are no drawbacks from having that city in my empire, but goddamn is so frustrating to see it develop so slowly.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So you can't actually tell AI to move his army the gently caress off my border, can you?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just finished up an extremely weird game. Playing as Germany, I got boxed in hard by Tomyris, who was the runaway AI and pretty much at no point had a military force weak enough for me to take head on--best I could hope for was her accepting a peace after pillaging me into oblivion.

However, despite denouncing me repeatedly, and trouncing me 5-to-1 by the game's military score calculation, she never actually declared on me. I think the other people on the continent were just always softer targets? She kept whining my units were too close to her borders when I was just maintaining a defensive line. One time she complained while she had a dozen units inside my territory because of open borders.

On the turn before I won a science victory I dropped a nuke on each of her major cities. Then everyone in the world took turns denouncing me, except Gandhi, who congratulated me on getting a chance to use my shiny new toys.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Squee posted:

I had this problem with my game earlier, worked fine yesterday and then today it refused to load. Disabling Windows Defender made it work again, I have no idea why but it works!

I started a new game and tried loading my old game from there and it worked. Bizarre.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rexides posted:

Considering how crippling bad flat land is in this game, I am considering playing only Germany from now on. I made the mistake of building a city on mostly plains and grassland, the city has already reached 9 pop and it takes it 30+ turns to build one loving district. I know there are no drawbacks from having that city in my empire, but goddamn is so frustrating to see it develop so slowly.

I built a city specifically for some luxuries and by the time the game ended it'd maybe built 3 things. I play on Epic so things do take longer but it feels like you've got a lot of production shuffling to do which isn't really any fun. I'm looking forward to playing Germany since they seem like the only civ that can produce things in reasonable times.

It's disheartening to see a musketman take 8 turns then get upgraded as you're building and have another 20 turns slapped onto it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's the appeal of slower game speeds other than "I want this to take a week to finish"? Is there something else to it that I'm missing?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Your Computer posted:

What's the appeal of slower game speeds other than "I want this to take a week to finish"? Is there something else to it that I'm missing?

I played an Epic game and it didn't seem to take that much longer to finish, just a little bit of extra mashing of Next Turn. The tech pacing actually felt a little better.

On different speeds the beaker/hammer/growth values are adjusted but the amount of turns it takes for a unit to do X things is unchanged. Usually it means you get more mileage out of a certain level of units before you tech beyond them, and you have more "time" to wage war.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cirofren posted:

Denouncing me over and over for having more great people, or having a scout close to their borders (even if we have open borders)

That feel when the AI settles a city in a worthless pit of snow near the edge of the map on your continent, and then proceeds to denounce you for having a defensive army way too close to their cities (i.e. anywhere on your landmass).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Your Computer posted:

Largely that it makes decisions more meaningful, you really gotta commit to everything and losing a unit on Marathon is a much bigger deal than losing one on Quick. Plus it's very relaxing.

I only ever play these games on Epic and Marathon, even Normal has always felt so fast that I haven't enjoyed it at all.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Normal and Quick are strategically satisfying, Epic and Marathon are narratively satisfying :)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kanfy posted:

Largely that it makes decisions more meaningful, you really gotta commit to everything and losing a unit on Marathon is a much bigger deal than losing one on Quick. Plus it's very relaxing.

I only ever play these games on Epic and Marathon, even Normal has always felt so fast that I haven't enjoyed it at all.

I think that playing on Epic is part of why I don't like the new Barbarians - it's easy to lose a unit and feel like you've wasted a LOT of turns. Or when a wonder fails you've wasted 40 turns instead of 10 or whatever.

But the main reason I play on it is that otherwise ages are just over too fast. You never get to build swordsmen because you've teched by them already. At least in previous games - since many AI still have warriors by the 1800s in this one. Come on city states, do some upgrading!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Also the AI certainly has the potential to be aggressive occasionally, I tried out an Immortal game and Kongo not only took down two city-states while still in the Ancient era, they declared war on me and took my city in two turns with four units while I was still trying to get walls up.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, I've only been playing on Normal. I should try Epic, it sounds interesting.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
its not, it just means that if you can grind through the ai hordes, you can take all enemy cities before they can build any units to defend

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, the AIs are still as unforgiving as ever. Harald has been chain-denouncing me for a thousand years now because I once converted one of his cities. And I'm pretty sure that happened by accident, either through pressure or through winning a religious combat nearby. I'm tempted to invade his rear end just to make him shut up.

The same deal with Frederik. He surprise-declared on me twice, once in the ancient and once in the medieval period. The first time I only barely managed to fight him off, and we agreed to a white peace. The second time I was much better prepared, dunked on him, and took two of his cities from him to make it stick. Immediately afterwards he turns around denounces me, deciding that I'm a warmonger now. Which he also kept up about four times in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

Normal and Quick are strategically satisfying, Epic and Marathon are narratively satisfying :)

That's well put. Maybe I should play a game on Epic soon (once I get a better grasp of the basics.)

My go-to victory has always been Science because war isn't really my thing, I don't understand the Cultural victory condition and Faith just feels like it would be spamming Missionaries forever (but I might be wrong). My biggest reason for playing on Quick is that on easy difficulties Science is very rigidly time-gated and it feels weird to extend that for no reason. I think I would enjoy the immersion of a slower game too, though.