Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

At the end game tiers, the Fletcher and Gearing are just flat out better than the Japanese equivalents. The Japanese torpedoes look way better (and frankly they should be better) but they get spotted from much farther out, so any competent player can dodge or at least minimize torp hits. The American torpedoes get spotted often when its too late. American DD guns are floaty, but have the fastest rate of fire, so if you are up close (under 6km) you can tear down other DDs rapidly. The Russian boats have very short ranged torpedoes, but the flat firing trajectory of their guns let you beat other DDs at longer range fights. The IJN DDs have hard-hitting shells, and the later ships have good velocity, but rate of fire is very slow and traverse not much better.

Except they DON'T look way better any more in anything except damage. Fletcher and Gearing torpedoes outrange everything (by a huge margin in the case of Gearing) IJN destroyers have available other than the worthless 20km ones, and their speed is roughly equivalent to the mid-range choice as well. And in the case of Fletcher vs. Kagero even the damage isn't that different, with a mere ~1500 damage difference.

Back when Kagero and Shimakaze still had their 15 km option I might have agreed with you that at least they looked better on a cursory glance, if not in reality, but when that option got stripped they stopped looking particularly better even if you weren't looking at the more hidden stats.

What WG has done to IJN destroyers and, if the pipeline is right, CONTINUES to do, is an utter and complete travesty catering to the absolute worst players. Because there are supposedly even more torpedo nerfs coming down the pipeline.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ZombieLenin posted:

I've been playing my Mahan as a torpedo boat. She feels way too sluggish in comparison to the Farragut and combined with its semi-lovely detection it just seems really non-functional as a dedicated gun boat, despite having good guns.

I feel like I can at least layout a big torpedo spread outside my detection range, but as soon as I open up with my guns I'm loving toast.

Serious question: I just started the grind on this one. Have I misjudged? Am I doing it wrong?

Farragut and Mahan are the flat spot in the US DD line, where they don't advance in capability at the same rate as the ships around them. They're not bad, they just get sucked way back into the pack.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Except they DON'T look way better any more in anything except damage. Fletcher and Gearing torpedoes outrange everything (by a huge margin in the case of Gearing) IJN destroyers have available other than the worthless 20km ones, and their speed is roughly equivalent to the mid-range choice as well. And in the case of Fletcher vs. Kagero even the damage isn't that different, with a mere ~1500 damage difference.

Back when Kagero and Shimakaze still had their 15 km option I might have agreed with you that at least they looked better on a cursory glance, if not in reality, but when that option got stripped they stopped looking particularly better even if you weren't looking at the more hidden stats.

What WG has done to IJN destroyers and, if the pipeline is right, CONTINUES to do, is an utter and complete travesty catering to the absolute worst players. Because there are supposedly even more torpedo nerfs coming down the pipeline.

Shimakaze 23k dmg 12km torpedoes do look pretty cool on paper.
They seems significantly better than Fletcher torpedoes, and you have 15 of them.
But then you realise they get spotted way earlier.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Krogort posted:

Shimakaze 23k dmg 12km torpedoes do look pretty cool on paper.
They seems significantly better than Fletcher torpedoes, and you have 15 of them.
But then you realise they get spotted way earlier.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I'm reading conflicting informations about Belfast AP.
Ichase (or is it Flamu? ) say they are regular AP other say they are semi AP with short fuse.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So with the introduction of the British lines I've decided to start playing this again. They seem to have improved a bunch of stuff since I last played. Are there any must have mods now?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

Whenever they fire torps, IJN DDs will become spotted for 5 seconds and every BB on the map will get an audio warning that an enemy DD is firing torpedoes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
WG is obviously pretty dead set on the idea of making this game "World of Battleships."

Carriers might actually get an unintended buff in the sense that so long as the flotillas of BBs do nothing but circle the map at max range, they'll be the only things actually able to *spot things* with their planes.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Aramoro posted:

So with the introduction of the British lines I've decided to start playing this again. They seem to have improved a bunch of stuff since I last played. Are there any must have mods now?

kaesarsosei posted:

Edit: Not to be hyperbolic but they are so bad I would worry for the health of the game in terms of new players. My first two ship lines were USN and IJN CAs. Compare the experience of playing Tenryu/Kuma or St Louis/Phoenix vs Caledon/Danae. Not sure if I would have stuck through to T5 if RN had been my first line.

For the love of god do not come back to this game and start by playing British Cruisers. Absolutely, no question, the worst and most pointless line of ships in the game right now. They are practically guaranteed to get buffs in the next patch.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

For the love of god do not come back to this game and start by playing British Cruisers. Absolutely, no question, the worst and most pointless line of ships in the game right now. They are practically guaranteed to get buffs in the next patch.

I was quite liking them so far, but then I've not played very much in them. They do seem to have some issues, like bad guns and short range torps.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
T1 doesn't matter.

T2, the Weymouth is bad. I now remember thinking the Novik was the worst ship in the game so it would be interesting to go back and compare. I suspect they are equal turds. But again, its so short that it barely matters. Nothing matters at T2 except Umikaze.

T3, the Caledon is definately far worse than St Louis, Kuma and Bogatyr. Many players keep one of these ships for lower tier fun/clubbing. The Kolberg didn't leave any impression on me either way but I checked my stats in it and they seemed good. Have fun facing a Nassau with no HE ammo.

T4, the Kuma and Phoenix are both good ships. The Karlsruhe is legendarily bad but I strongly suspect that its better post-buff than the Danae.

Thats as far as I got so far, but it sounds like T5 is also a turd and things only start picking up at T6 or 7. The T8 Edinburgh is what I am aiming for though, I don't have an Atago so the Edinburgh might be the best T8 cruiser.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I jumped straight to the T5 and it is bad.

I've no idea if it's worse than the ships before it but when your only shells are lack lustre, not exactly accurate, AP and you can run into things like Colorado's and Myoko's. You're going to have a bad time. The torp's arn't bad, the concealment is workable and the smoke can keep you alive longer.

Problem is... you're not going to do much while alive.

Now, the tier 7 is an entirely different kettle of fish. It does some pretty drat good damage, it's accurate, moves quick.

Really, it's a good ship.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Aramoro posted:

I was quite liking them so far, but then I've not played very much in them. They do seem to have some issues, like bad guns and short range torps.

I've only come across tier 4-7 cruisers but in my experience if they get hit by anything bigger than a destroyer gun they get citadeled.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Ranked is utter and pure poo poo. I just dropped from Rank 6 to 10.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

kaesarsosei posted:

T1 doesn't matter.

T2, the Weymouth is bad. I now remember thinking the Novik was the worst ship in the game so it would be interesting to go back and compare. I suspect they are equal turds. But again, its so short that it barely matters. Nothing matters at T2 except Umikaze.

T3, the Caledon is definately far worse than St Louis, Kuma and Bogatyr. Many players keep one of these ships for lower tier fun/clubbing. The Kolberg didn't leave any impression on me either way but I checked my stats in it and they seemed good. Have fun facing a Nassau with no HE ammo.

T4, the Kuma and Phoenix are both good ships. The Karlsruhe is legendarily bad but I strongly suspect that its better post-buff than the Danae.

Thats as far as I got so far, but it sounds like T5 is also a turd and things only start picking up at T6 or 7. The T8 Edinburgh is what I am aiming for though, I don't have an Atago so the Edinburgh might be the best T8 cruiser.

I have both an eddi and an atago. They play almost the same. They even have the same concealment values. The difference is that you get slightly higher and more reliable salvos against mid range BBs, but no fire potential. The torps are good enough and have a much better firing angle on the eddi. The repair is freakin ridiculous. Half your ships hp just comes back in half a minute. Eddi AP does nasty things to destroyers. Atago wins out for brawling with cruisers thanks to that AP 203. In the end it is some small tradeoffs but they are both acceptable for annoyingly pelting BBs at their detection range. I had been saving free xp and grinding an RN captain on my warspite since august, so I got the privilege of just skipping straight to the Edinburgh, your mileage may vary.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

I think I carried hard :smug:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I have both an eddi and an atago. They play almost the same. They even have the same concealment values. The difference is that you get slightly higher and more reliable salvos against mid range BBs, but no fire potential. The torps are good enough and have a much better firing angle on the eddi. The repair is freakin ridiculous. Half your ships hp just comes back in half a minute. Eddi AP does nasty things to destroyers. Atago wins out for brawling with cruisers thanks to that AP 203. In the end it is some small tradeoffs but they are both acceptable for annoyingly pelting BBs at their detection range. I had been saving free xp and grinding an RN captain on my warspite since august, so I got the privilege of just skipping straight to the Edinburgh, your mileage may vary.

With Atago (and all of the 203 IJN cruisers I guess), when is it best to start shooting for BB superstructures with AP?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

A point you really shouldnt be at. Atago HE does monstrous damage against BBs at all ranges. If you somehow end up at 6-8 km you could switch to AP but at that point its time to torp and pray.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Edinburgh AP does 7k salvos reliably against bismarcks and ncs from any direction.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

This is up close. At range with plunging you get 3 to 5 k.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Vengarr posted:

With Atago (and all of the 203 IJN cruisers I guess), when is it best to start shooting for BB superstructures with AP?

As soon as you've lit them up with a fire they can't repair. Just light a couple fires, wait for the repair, light em again, then AP away.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Got back into the game after a long absence, it's still kinda fun. When I quit last time manual secondaries weren't a thing. Just unlocked the Amagi and wondering if it's worth running the secondary modification on it? It does have a lot of secondaries. If I do that I guess I should also go target acquisition module rather than concealment, get the manual secondaries tier 5 skill rather than the concealment skill and man the gently caress up, battlecruiser or no. Opinions?

I guess if I want to run ranked with the thing it's all tryhard nofun concealment all the way huh

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 24, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Amagi needs dispersion mod very badly.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

In my last game I got torped by a friendly Svetlana for "First Blood". Also opened 2 Containers and got 5 Signals from each. Honestly think another night like this and I would quit. Feel like trying some self-harm after that.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
So Belfast worth getting or just keep on with my Atago.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I reinstalled this and apparently the times I remembered playing a bunch were in the beta, because I have basically no ships researched. If I basically want to roll around shooting things with relatively strong guns that aren't slow as poo poo like a BB (in rate of fire), are American Cruisers still the way to go?

I was also playing Japanese Destroyers the last time I played, but it seems like people are saying in the last couple pages that they're awful now. If I enjoy torping, which Destroyer line should I go? I know my friends have said Soviet destroyers are basically little gunboats, and I know from Beta that the US destroyers have pitiful torp ranges which somewhat limited their effectiveness. I know the Umikaze is still super fun though. :getin:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Zaodai posted:

If I enjoy torping, which Destroyer line should I go? I know my friends have said Soviet destroyers are basically little gunboats, and I know from Beta that the US destroyers have pitiful torp ranges which somewhat limited their effectiveness.

US DDs are the way to go for torps nowadays in later tiers. Japanese DDs are the best torp boats for early tiers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What the gently caress is wrong with carriers in this? My fighters can't even kill one enemy fighter in a dogfight and the enemy fighters instantly destroy my bombers whenever they get close to them, I know they're buggy as poo poo because they're buggy as poo poo from the perspective of a non-carrier but this is literally unplayable.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

OwlFancier posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with carriers in this? My fighters can't even kill one enemy fighter in a dogfight and the enemy fighters instantly destroy my bombers whenever they get close to them, I know they're buggy as poo poo because they're buggy as poo poo from the perspective of a non-carrier but this is literally unplayable.

You're being strafed. (Fighter alt-attack). Strafes pick out a long rectangle and obliterate any planes (Friendly or enemy!) in them. So if an enemy CV has a strike squad with two planes left in it, and you sic two fighter squads on it, then grats you've tied up all your planes in one spot and then he can strafe you to death by trading 2 for 12.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
TL;DR: Wargaming is very bad at teaching people how to be good at their games, or rather, why they're losing to 'hackers.'

"Yuri, should we make tutorial for teaching of pubbies how to manually attack carrier plane?"

"Nyet. Tutorial too much work. Is what co-op mode is for, and besides, dumb people are cheap and easy content for good player who spend money."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 24, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That still doesn't explain why they lose in dogfights with the same plane, even then I still can't shoot any down before the squadron gets wiped out.

Essentially one american squadron of planes is completely invincible to my japanese carrier, my fighters can just about manage to shoot down a couple of bombers if they trail them across the entire map, otherwise nothing. American fighters can just shoot down all of my squadrons head on, and they're faster than my squadrons as well.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

OwlFancier posted:

That still doesn't explain why they lose in dogfights with the same plane, even then I still can't shoot any down before the squadron gets wiped out.

Essentially one american squadron of planes is completely invincible to my japanese carrier, my fighters can just about manage to shoot down a couple of bombers if they trail them across the entire map, otherwise nothing. American fighters can just shoot down all of my squadrons head on, and they're faster than my squadrons as well.

You're fighting a Saipan. Cry deeply because those Tier IX planes will gently caress your world up.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cobbsprite posted:

You're fighting a Saipan. Cry deeply because those Tier IX planes will gently caress your world up.

LOL if you "luck" into a Saipan with Air Supremacy.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
This smells like a baby's first saipan encounter.

edit: too slow

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cobbsprite posted:

No I'm fighting hoshos and langleys, they're the same tier as me.

The american grumman fighters seem to be strictly better than the upgraded japanese ones, and I'm still consistently losing three times as many planes against the same fighters if the enemy is fielding a hosho as well, unless everyone's picked a huge number of skills that surely shouldn't be consistent?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

There are mods for +10% fighter DPS and +20% fighter HP at tier V, I dunno if the tier IV carriers can take either of them though.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
So yeah I just received a super container.

WELL GUESS WHAT?!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Aesis posted:

So yeah I just received a super container.

WELL GUESS WHAT?!

That somehow seems less than super? Or is the +5% chance of you horribly dying less of a big deal than it seems?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Zaodai posted:

That somehow seems less than super? Or is the +5% chance of you horribly dying less of a big deal than it seems?

It gets cancelled out if you run the detonation flags, they make you immune to detonation regardless of your other flags and mods. But considering you can get 100k free xp or a premium ship out of a super container, it's a bit of a let down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I got either 100 or 200 dragon flags which was swell.