Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
From r/civ Firaxis Slowly Losing Ability to Make Small 2D Images

quote:

Looking into the UI files, it looks like they intended to have this information but forgot/ran out of time (don't worry about the code specifics, it's just that it's mentioned and isn't referenced in later code):

--[[ TODO: Get specific amenities.
for i= 1 , data.AmenitiesNum,1 do
local kAmenityInstance:table = m_kAmenitiesIM:GetInstance();
kAmenityInstance.Amenity:SetText("$Amenity"..tostring(i).."$");
end
]]

It is now clear this game was released unfinished, Firaxs knows how unfinished it is, and the silence is higher than NoMansSky-levels.

I can only presume that poor Sid has one of those diseases that eats away at your brain and you degenerate and don't know how much you've lost of your once greatness. ,

Were the guys from Beyond Earth responsible for these fiasco's of User Interface? Firaxs seems to have learnt every singe bad lesson from it!

Also, Multiplayer has huge exploits, enough to make it unplayable unless you use them yourself

quote:

Selling units is completely broken along with no scale for chopping forest. It currently ruins online games and make it way to easy to cheese single player as well. The issues so far...

-You can sell outside you border (even after spending movement). Which mean you can sell a unit before it would be captured and earn money back. You may sell units when they get less than 50% or so health when attacking another player and earn money for a unit you otherwise were going to just loose.

Solution: You may only sell units inside your border

-Selling workers. A big exploit is using two charges of a worker and selling them. If you sell two workers you can buy a new one. Which means if you have two workers, use two charges from each and sell them each (even outside your border). You can buy a new workers anywhere and even earn an extra charge.

Solution: You can't sell workers. There really shouldn't be much of a reason to sell workers in Civ VI since they only have charges and go away. The main reason to ever sell a worker to be gaming and either prevent it from being captured or to exploit the gold cost.

-Units sell for way to much gold. It is more efficient in this game to build horsemen (in the early game) and then sell them. For example you put polices to give 100% boast to production of horsemen. I've been watching a few streamers and you can often build a horse man every 2 turns. They were selling for 100 gold. A granny for example cost 160 gold and took 6 turns to build. Which means you build two horsemen over the course of 4 turns and can buy a granny. Basically you use your production to make gold. (this is insanely broke using Scythia)

Solution: Reduce the cost of selling units.

-Chopping Forest doesn't scale and should is too strong outside your border. First the production earned from chopping a forest doesn't scale to game pace. In Online and Quick it is way too strong. Also in Civ V you receive a negative buff when chopping forest outside your border. That doesn't happen in Civ VI. You don't need scouts. You scout with workers and chop forest. If they are ever in danger of being caught you can just sell them anyway.

Solution: Add a negative buff to chopping forest outside your border again and scale how much production and food is received from chopping a forest or jungle.

I love Civ VI but those are some serious exploits that need fixed. It makes playing online unplayable. If someone uses those exploits they will simple outpace you. If you don't believe me watch Anzleon's stream (https://www.twitch.tv/anzleon) from last night 10/22-10/23. He came across these exploits and was outpacing his opponents. In two games his military rating was 400 when others opponents were only 100. On top of having 5-6 cities with in 30 turns.

Also this trading bug, which is un-ending and creates gold out of thin air (The AI doesn't have it, but the player will still receive it), though the post goes on to say it's not above Prince level):

quote:

Okay so the AI offers you a trade, say some gold for your luxury resource.
You increase the gold, they refuse it.
Then you remove the gold from the trade (right click) and click "what will you give me for this".
Rather than go back to their original offer they will go for something higher (often higher than what you just asked for).
You can keep repeating this and the offers just get crazy.
For example I went from being asked to gift a luxury resource, to this to this.

Beyond infinite gold bugs destroying the economy, you also get this:

quote:

When attacking a city, and it's about to get captured, the owner can trade it to someone else, it then heals to full health.

If the next turn it's traded back, it returns to full health with nothing missing, like you never attacked it.

Makes it impossible to take over cities if two people are allies.

Not to mention that Multiplayer other players will never cede those cities you DID manage to take off him, making them hell-holes of occupation for the next 3000 years of your civilization.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The White Dragon posted:

Normal and Quick are strategically satisfying, Epic and Marathon are narratively satisfying :)

Civ is definitely more narrative for me. I don't tend to play the same civs each time because it's a different experience and I don't conquer people until quite late on. I would assume that's the case for most Epic players!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Comstar posted:

It is now clear this game was released unfinished, Firaxs knows how unfinished it is, and the silence is higher than NoMansSky-levels.

Wow, that's... Quite the statement there. I mean, there's stuff I'm hoping gets fixed too, but worse than NMS? Really?

Taear posted:

Civ is definitely more narrative for me. I don't tend to play the same civs each time because it's a different experience and I don't conquer people until quite late on. I would assume that's the case for most Epic players!

Statements like this, plus people saying the ages "feel" better in Epic, make me want to try it out a lot. Will have to do so after I get some sleep.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So far, I love Civ VI. It's not without its flaws though.

- What would speed up the game a fuckload would be the ability to build stuff FROM your districts. It'd be cool to build granaries and poo poo from your city center, but units from your military districts, traders from your commercial district etc. etc. etc. You could develop your cities while building an army at the same time.

- Civs need to be a whole lot less lovely about war. I was on a continent with China and Russia. Russia tried to invade me. I beat his army and took control of his capital and another city because then it joined my territory to his. China invaded me with warriors when I had infantry. They lost their capital as well. Even though I did not declare war, every Civ constantly denounces me for being a warmonger. I don't mind a BIT of a penalty, but there's no hope of me getting any sort of alliances or stuff going now. It's a bit too extreme.

- The unit progression needs a few more steps because you can seriously get hosed if you don't have the right resource. I went from Roman Legionaries -> Infantry because I didn't have any Ninite. I was a fair way ahead of the other civs in all other scientific respects, but if somebody walked in with Muskets, I would have been completely hosed. There was way too big of a gap between Swords -> Infantry and that resource-specific unit in between can make things awful if you don't have that resource.

- UI needs work. The game also needs to be a fair bit more transparent in terms of new mechanics as well. I know we'll get used to it, but it'd be easier to get into the game otherwise.

- Jesus gently caress fix loving trade from Civ V.

But otherwise, the game kicks rear end. There's a lot of cool ideas here that I hope get expanded in future expansions.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Roland Jones posted:

Wow, that's... Quite the statement there. I mean, there's stuff I'm hoping gets fixed too, but worse than NMS? Really?

I'm assuming the reddit cite means he's quoting an idiot? I hope?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Comstar posted:

I can only presume that poor Sid has one of those diseases that eats away at your brain and you degenerate and don't know how much you've lost of your once greatness. ,

Were the guys from Beyond Earth responsible for these fiasco's of User Interface? Firaxs seems to have learnt every singe bad lesson from it!

Not sure if you're quoting someone (in which case source your quotes) or if you're serious but Civ VI is unpolished which is miles away from "unfinished", comparing it to No Man's Sky which released without promised features is rather silly. Pretty much every major 4X (or big RPG) game has always been rough and buggy at release and it'll never cease to be true as nice as that'd be because shipping the game is ultimately the priority and the developers are no doubt overworked as it is to get even that done.

Plus Sid Meier doesn't have any major role in developing these games, hasn't had for a while.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 24, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Comstar posted:

What, you mean silence in the one working day since the release of the game?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm assuming the reddit cite means he's quoting an idiot? I hope?

I hope so too. I mean, the game came out three days ago.

Edit: Unrelated, is it just me or does settling on a hill not give your city bonus production now? I've been getting 2 Food 1 Production city centers when I do it, making it seem like the ideal settlement early on is next to a hill rather than on one now.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 24, 2016

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Comstar posted:

Good lord are you an entitled little fuckwit. No 4X on this planet has ever been perfectly balanced and completely free of bugs on launch day.

Is the game unbalanced and buggy? Yes. Is it playable despite that? Yes. Does it have all of the features they promised out of the box? Absolutely, although the mod support in particular isn't very obvious (presumably they're opening up the workshop with the first balancing patch, but you can still enable mods via Additional Content).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There's an Aristotle quote in the game that's totally made up. It's the one that's like "An educated mind is one that can entertain a thought without accepting it." Check your facts Firaxis

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Earlier in the thread most people were saying district cost increases from number of districts build, like with builders and settlers. However, it seems like it actually increases based on the number of civics you have researched, which is why one guy a few pages back was seeing them cost higher than base even on his first one. It feels like this might be over-tuned too as midgame they start costing more than many wonders.

While I'm here, does anyone know how Scouts actually gain XP? I built two at the start of my game and used the Double Scout XP policy for an awful long time. As they explored, one got to level 2 pretty soon while the other got 10 XP and stopped gaining any more. Later, when I could cross the ocean, I sent them both out to explore the rest of the world. They never gained any more XP.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
In my current game (Huge Marathon as glorious Nippon) my play has been completely opposite of what I normally prefer to do. Which is generally sit on my rear end, go tall with 2-4 cities, tech up then science victory. Gorgo declared on me at around 3600 BC which started the war train a rolling. Greece, Aztecs, England, Arabians, Brazil, Egypt and 2 city states all were under my banner before 400 BC. It was a very busy time. Enjoying the game a lot, but it does have a few things that need fixing. Looking forward to a couple hundred more hours of playing.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Roland Jones posted:

Huh, I've only been playing on Normal. I should try Epic, it sounds interesting.

For cheevo purposes I have started my King game in the Classic era. Turns out there's a different opening qoute by Sean Bean too.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

While I'm here, does anyone know how Scouts actually gain XP? I built two at the start of my game and used the Double Scout XP policy for an awful long time. As they explored, one got to level 2 pretty soon while the other got 10 XP and stopped gaining any more. Later, when I could cross the ocean, I sent them both out to explore the rest of the world. They never gained any more XP.

Don't quote me on this because I'm not at all certain, but I think scouts get experience from visiting tribal villages.

Khagan posted:

For cheevo purposes I have started my King game in the Classic era. Turns out there's a different opening qoute by Sean Bean too.

Yeah, you can read them in the game setup menu by mouseovering the eras in the era selection.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

It seems like they only get XP for fighting and for discovering goodie huts. Maybe for discovering new civs/city states as well? Either way that's not enough things. Maybe it was supposed to be more stuff and got changed at the last minute?

In my current game I have a ranger who hasn't recieved any XP whatsoever because he's just been exploring what's mostly empty map.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Khagan posted:

I was wondering about that, since the "normal" opening quote seems to pretty clearly reference the Ancient Era. I bet there's a different quote (for the pre-leader stuff, not the leader quotes) for every era.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

And I think saying the game is "unplayable" right now is ridiculous. Things need to be cleaned up and bugs fixed but they're all relatively minor, just annoying.

That said I had no idea you could sell units at all.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It becomes a uranium mine. I have no idea what would happen if you built something else on it. I assume it would be destroyed.

That's not even mentioning how really loving rare the last few strategic resources are. I think there were 4-5 sources of uranium on a huge map I was playing and I would guess 10 or so each for aluminum and coal. Thank god I was suzerain with some city states that had some because I had none in my 11 city empire. :negative:

It doesnt destroy them, i had some nitre pop up under a farm i had. It is also worth noting that if you build a wonder on a tile that then spawns a resource it is harvested for you. I had the great uranium mines of Big Ben in my game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Polyakov posted:

It doesnt destroy them, i had some nitre pop up under a farm i had. It is also worth noting that if you build a wonder on a tile that then spawns a resource it is harvested for you. I had the great uranium mines of Big Ben in my game.

Oh, that's nice. Do districts still destroy things, or are they harvested too? I can't recall if the stuff I've had appear under my things has been under wonders or districts.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Polyakov posted:

Same with districts. The resources are never "destroyed", you just can't see them on the map.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I'd imagine all strategic resources are harvested automatically if there's a permanent improvement on them, similar to great person improvements in V.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, I guessed this was happening when the "you've found resources" prompt just randomly took me to some part of my empire where the resource clearly wasn't, but my resource count magically included the resource. It is, however, incredibly unclear how this functions.

Also it would be REALLY nice to have some sort of "highlight resource X" button so I don't have to painstakingly hunt through every tile looking for some oil or iron.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

H13 posted:

- The unit progression needs a few more steps because you can seriously get hosed if you don't have the right resource. I went from Roman Legionaries -> Infantry because I didn't have any Ninite. I was a fair way ahead of the other civs in all other scientific respects, but if somebody walked in with Muskets, I would have been completely hosed. There was way too big of a gap between Swords -> Infantry and that resource-specific unit in between can make things awful if you don't have that resource.

Yeah, in all previous games it seemed that Gunpowder served as a big equaliser button that helped unlucky civs get up to speed with those who had access to iron during classical-medieval periods and setting the stage for modern warfare and the new resources that were needed. Right now.... I don't even know. This makes ranged units even more important than before, because you get an uninterrupted line of upgrade for longer.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
There was some back and forth on this a few pages ago so now I'm confused on amenities. If one lux gets you one amenity for four cities, does the second (same) lux give you 1 lux for eight or is the second one only trading fodder (like it was in V)? I'm still avoiding trading any lux to the AI for fear I'll make a bunch of cities unhappy, so I'm trying to figure out the new math in VI.

I can see how getting out-religioned and losing your founded religion would suck, but I love how the opposite holds true now. I was in a religious war with Japan as Scythia in my last game, and just apostle sniped his capital/holy city. He then started spreading MY religion for me. Seems like that's going to be the new religious strategy, rather than try to convert enough cities to get enough pressure to push back on an AI's holy city.

Also the mindshift between "Food is God" in V and "Industry is God" in VI is pretty large for me. I keep seeing river valleys as perfect city locations, then realize there is like zero production and nothing ever gets built.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kanfy posted:

I'd imagine all strategic resources are harvested automatically if there's a permanent improvement on them, similar to great person improvements in V.

I have niter that I can't see and I got it suddenly when I researched the tech so I assume that's under districts. Best I can say there, who knows if it's actually working that way. Maybe it's from City States!

My instict says that since Wonders and Districs delete anything that was already there when you place them that you've lost the future resources under there.

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 24, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm listening to the score and my Civ choices are now focused on the best tracks. So I absolutely have to do a Brazil game next. :allears:

Another big favourite is Rome.

Unfortunately the game also loves to play neighbor civs' tracks from various eras. In my previous game it meant having to listen to the American theme until I got sick of it. Even wiping Teddy off the map didn't stop it.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

There was some back and forth on this a few pages ago so now I'm confused on amenities. If one lux gets you one amenity for four cities, does the second (same) lux give you 1 lux for eight or is the second one only trading fodder (like it was in V)? I'm still avoiding trading any lux to the AI for fear I'll make a bunch of cities unhappy, so I'm trying to figure out the new math in VI.

A second luxury is only good for trading fodder.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Antti posted:

Unfortunately the game also loves to play neighbor civs' tracks from various eras. In my previous game it meant having to listen to the American theme until I got sick of it. Even wiping Teddy off the map didn't stop it.

so, the game simulates american cultural imperialism aswell... noice.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

I hope so too. I mean, the game came out three days ago.

Edit: Unrelated, is it just me or does settling on a hill not give your city bonus production now? I've been getting 2 Food 1 Production city centers when I do it, making it seem like the ideal settlement early on is next to a hill rather than on one now.

Plains hills are 1 food 2 production, so settling on one gives your city a 2/2 base.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I haven't gotten the game yet, but from talk it sounds like going wide is back which was my favorite way to play painting the map, a lot of civs are borderline overpowered but in their own unique ways which isn't that bad.
But sounds like I'll want to hold off for the expansions and grab all the eventual DLC civs at once and bug fix/balance patches.

I do have a question, while it's somewhat easy to spot the overpowered civs on paper, what is the general thoughts on what the weakest civs are? which have the bonuses that just don't work together that well or are flat underwhelming in play?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Had a fun time last night and, like many people, got an accidental culture victory while going for a religious victory (didn't even get any relics because having an apostle die is a huge blow).

Played as Peter and got tons of faith through tundra, it's really not as much of a drawback as it used to be since you're just dropping districts and wonders on it and using your limited good tiles to generate yields. His unique district meant I was spamming out writers and artists about 3x faster than I could fill them. I eventually formed an artist shantytown down in the antarctic where they sat for most of the game. Despite this I still won a cultural victory while I wasn't paying attention. It turns out most of the tundra forests are "breahtaking", which maybe is why the writers congregated there in the snow, so getting a natural park set up was a huge boost. Won before discovering coal.

Natural wonders seem way too good. Had a huge stretch of desert boxing me in but was able to found a city there because Kilamanjaro was in the center of it. Got a break with Petra and that city became one of my best, pumping out population. I was putting districts down in grasslands because the natural wonder made things way too good.

The diplomatic game was interesting. I like that each leader has their own personality, but I just wish that one personality didn't override everything else. The moment I met China he loving hated me, not like it's my fault he wasted his entire empire on a big wall instead of building mines to churn out wonders. I sent delegations, I converted him to the same religion, nothing I did helped, his mind was made up. I get it when I went to Spain, converted their whole population, said "tough poo poo", and he was mad at me ever since - I instigated that. But Pericles denounced me for competing for the favor of his city states when I was just playing and getting a eureka gave me a free envoy. Not my fault, man, let me make it up to you? No? OK. The same goes for guys who loved me, like the guy who wants you to spread religion, I did, and there wasn't a thing I could do to piss him off any more. There needs to be a bit more nuance and the secondary characteristics aren't making up for it. I managed to find out two guys had "airpower" as their secondary characteristic so the entire time I think they were just being driven by their primary. Trading was also super weird but I heard this was a bug so I won't judge.

Positive things: Districts are awesome, they require hard decisions, macro-management on a city-by-city basis and micro-management on a tile-by-tile basis. They do, however, make new cities really hard to get up to speed mid to late game - no more just buying a workshop / factory / etc. This is made up for by the positive change to workers who really accelerate how quickly new cities can get up and running.

I feel like information just isn't at my fingertips any more. I spent an entire game trying to figure out how to see religious pressure (in civ V I could just hover over the religion icon and see it). When I went into missionary view I saw some arrows but that didn't tell me much. I needed to know how effective my overlapping pressure was and I couldn't figure out how. I'd start a wonder, then it would complete, and I'd forget completely what it did, and I tried to find out and had to go to the cyclopedia to figure it out. Which is better: +100% adjacency bonus to all my commercial districts or +2 gold for trade routes? I have zero idea when it asks me to change my policies and have to take a shot in the dark.

I think they came close to nailing city states, though. Each one has a cool unique bonus, and envoys instead of gold means no more just buying the favor of everyone on the planet.

Overall a really fun game that clearly needs some balance to it. And I still can't get used to not being able to use my last movement charge to get up onto a forested hill - that's going to take a lot of getting used to.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Asking again, if you want a national park, do you need to manually remove all improvements or will it do it for you?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh man, I did not think I would like Egypt as much as I would. That river-construction bonus to wonders and districts is a lot more powerful than it first sounds on paper.

Jastiger posted:

Asking again, if you want a national park, do you need to manually remove all improvements or will it do it for you?

You need to manually remove all improvements.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alkydere posted:

Oh man, I did not think I would like Egypt as much as I would. That river-construction bonus to wonders and districts is a lot more powerful than it first sounds on paper.

You need to manually remove all improvements.

Argh lame. Im afraid of tearing up my infrastructure and finding out i cant actually put a park there. The naturalista should totally overwrite eligible plots.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Darkrenown posted:

I'm rather sure I had a scout level up immediately after discovering a natural wonder.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Right, early modding question:

Can I alter the color of areas mapped but unseen? I love the new mapwork effect, but I find it difficult at a glance to distinguish between Fog of War, and unmapped areas compared to Civ V. I don't care which way around it's done, just some way to make it more immediately noticeable.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

National parks are a really cool new mechanic.

In my last game the only valid location for a park was a small undeveloped patch of the pristine frozen tundra north of my northernmost city. There were mountains, and wooded hills, and barren tundra, and honestly it felt like it probably would be a pretty spectacular national park up there.

And then, an era after I built the park I discovered oil. And the only source in my territory was inside the park.

It was too real.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I suddenly don't like the new FOW effect anymore.

Thanks for reading.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I started my first game on a Small map, since somewhere recommended it, and gently caress if everyone isn't all ontop of each other and all over the place. I'm buddies with Spain but he was ahead of me on Culture, so he's currently in a war with Germany and I'm just casually turning my head away from it as they literally fight inside my borders because now i'm ahead in Culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Polyakov posted:

:tipshat: good stuff