Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I mean, I could probably just have it done and since it only take a couple of days, the odds some random city inspector will drive by during that time and see work being done without a permit being displayed is pretty small. And my neighbors are cool, so if I just tell them,
"Hey, getting a fence replaced" they'll be fine with it, especially since it's so dilapidated it's falling into their yards.

But the issue could be if I sell it and tell the buyer the fence was replaced in 2016. If they want to verify that I'm telling the truth AND it was done properly, they can pull the permit. No permit means it wasn't done the "right" way and they could use that to try and pay less and claim they'll have to get it redone themselves since there's no proof it was done right, or something. Likely? No. Possible? Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
How many of you are making extra principal payments? I just purchased a condo, and the difference between my loaded house payment (mortgage, taxes, HOA) and my old rent amount is about $375. I'm thinking about taking that extra $375 a month and putting it towards the principal on the condo. According to the calculator on bankrate.com, paying an extra $375 a month would pretty much cut my 30 year mortgage to a 15 year, and save me $55k in interest. If I don't plan on living here for 15 or even 30 years though, is there really any value? I know that in theory I'd get the extra equity back out when I sold the place eventually, but I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do here.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

DJCobol posted:

How many of you are making extra principal payments? I just purchased a condo, and the difference between my loaded house payment (mortgage, taxes, HOA) and my old rent amount is about $375. I'm thinking about taking that extra $375 a month and putting it towards the principal on the condo. According to the calculator on bankrate.com, paying an extra $375 a month would pretty much cut my 30 year mortgage to a 15 year, and save me $55k in interest. If I don't plan on living here for 15 or even 30 years though, is there really any value? I know that in theory I'd get the extra equity back out when I sold the place eventually, but I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do here.

Make sure you're not going to be penalized by the lender for applying to the principal or early payoff.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

DJCobol posted:

I only did to get rid of my PMI. After that the interest rate was low, so I'm investing the rest in other ways.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

life is killing me posted:

Make sure you're not going to be penalized by the lender for applying to the principal or early payoff.
Already checked, not going to be an issue.

The Big Jesus posted:

I only did to get rid of my PMI. After that the interest rate was low, so I'm investing the rest in other ways.
I put 20% down so I don't have PMI and my payment is pretty low. I am already investing in other things (Roth IRA, work 401*(k), HSA) so I'm just looking for some other options.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

DJCobol posted:

Already checked, not going to be an issue.

I put 20% down so I don't have PMI and my payment is pretty low. I am already investing in other things (Roth IRA, work 401*(k), HSA) so I'm just looking for some other options.
It sounds like your financial house is in order, so I see a few options.

1) Max your 401(k)
2) Pay down principal (expected return = your interest rate)
3) Invest in taxable funds (expected return = market average)
4)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

With rates less than 4%, you're probably better off investing rather than paying the mortgage off early. That said, paying the mortgage down obviously carries less risk and is still a good choice

Probably you should make sure that you are making a maximum yearly contribution to an IRA and to your 401k before you start paying extra into your mortgage

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

With rates less than 4%, you're probably better off investing rather than paying the mortgage off early. That said, paying the mortgage down obviously carries less risk and is still a good choice

Probably you should make sure that you are making a maximum yearly contribution to an IRA and to your 401k before you start paying extra into your mortgage

I max out my Roth and my HSA. I don't max out the 401(k) though because I dont like the options I have through my employer's plan. It's just in a target year fund, but the ER is twice as much as my Vanguard options in my Roth.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

DJCobol posted:

I max out my Roth and my HSA. I don't max out the 401(k) though because I dont like the options I have through my employer's plan. It's just in a target year fund, but the ER is twice as much as my Vanguard options in my Roth.

Tax benefits and the ability to roll it over to Vanguard when you move companies probably still make it worth it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Grumpwagon posted:

Tax benefits and the ability to roll it over to Vanguard when you move companies probably still make it worth it.

It sounds like they might all be active funds, which IIRC tend to underperform by a few percent vs index funds. If the performance of those funds is poor, then he might be better off investing in index funds with a taxable account.

I think the answer between "contribute to 401k cap" and "invest in taxable accounts instead" would depend on how poorly those funds perform, how much higher their expense ratios are, and your tax bracket. And it also depends on how much you value liquidity

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

DrBouvenstein posted:

But the issue could be if I sell it and tell the buyer the fence was replaced in 2016. If they want to verify that I'm telling the truth AND it was done properly, they can pull the permit. No permit means it wasn't done the "right" way and they could use that to try and pay less and claim they'll have to get it redone themselves since there's no proof it was done right, or something. Likely? No. Possible? Yes.
I'd say very very unlikely.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

DJCobol posted:

Well obviously contribute up to the 401k match if any. That poo poo is free money.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bozart posted:

Well obviously contribute up to the 401k match if any. That poo poo is free money.

I'm above the percentage I need for full match from my company, I'm just not going to contribute the full $18k this year that I can.

Back to house stuff: any advice for fixing bulging drywall? Some of the walls in my house it looks like maybe the paper has peeled away from the board itself, or maybe it was just done in a really lovely manner by the previous owner. I want to paint some of the walls, but I want to fix them first. I'm hoping I don't have to replace the drywall.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

life is killing me posted:

Some of those are understandable, such as easements and rights-of-way. How much of that can be taken care of with a survey? Do you have one?
Yeah, I had a not quite as bad as application process, and I think drawing in the fence on the survey would have answered just about everything they were asking for.

DJCobol posted:

Though I want to get rid of debt, it seems like if 1) you itemize, and 2) you aren't dealing with pmi or something weird, and 3) you are paying the sub 4% mortgage rate, that the financially optimal thing to do is to pay nothing extra to principal and just invest. Even in taxable accounts.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DJCobol posted:

I'm above the percentage I need for full match from my company, I'm just not going to contribute the full $18k this year that I can.

Back to house stuff: any advice for fixing bulging drywall? Some of the walls in my house it looks like maybe the paper has peeled away from the board itself, or maybe it was just done in a really lovely manner by the previous owner. I want to paint some of the walls, but I want to fix them first. I'm hoping I don't have to replace the drywall.

On the walls or ceiling? We have some bulging drywall on the ceiling, it's because the PO forgot to winterize the outdoor spigot, so it burst at some point and soaked the drywall... which led to the drywall becoming detached from the nails that were holding it up.

If you're sure you aren't just covering up water damage, use a bunch of drywall screws to reattach it to the studs. Once you've fixed the screwheads, you should be all set.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

devicenull posted:

On the walls or ceiling? We have some bulging drywall on the ceiling, it's because the PO forgot to winterize the outdoor spigot, so it burst at some point and soaked the drywall... which led to the drywall becoming detached from the nails that were holding it up.

If you're sure you aren't just covering up water damage, use a bunch of drywall screws to reattach it to the studs. Once you've fixed the screwheads, you should be all set.

It's on the walls. it just looks bulgy and wavy. I tried pushing on it but there didn't seem to be any give to it.

The ceilings are all 70s era popcorn ceilings that will get taken care of next year.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

DJCobol posted:

How many of you are making extra principal payments?

Yup! It's essentially a guaranteed return, so why not? I'm putting an extra hundred a month into my mortgage (750$ altogether) and at that rate I'll cut ten years off. 5% of my pay goes into my company's lovely 401k for the match, and then anther 5% into a betterment Roth IRA. I could do more, but I want to be able to enjoy myself and spend on hobbies and experiences and not be house poor. Plus it's good to build up savings for the inevitable bad stuff in life. Regularly socking away a little bit in each category puts you head and shoulders above most Americans anyways

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah I think it's best to max out your 401k employer match and make sure that you have 3-6 months of living expenses saved up, beyond that paying down your mortgage early and investing more for retirement are both good options

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Grumpwagon posted:

This.

DJCobol posted:

What are your fund options? 0.36% is still a very good ER.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

I bought a house yesterday.

I've ready been to Home Depot 5 times. This is my life now, isn't it?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yup! Welcome to the party.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Citizen Z posted:

I bought a house yesterday.

I've ready been to Home Depot 5 times. This is my life now, isn't it?

The rate of visits decrease.

Because you get used to full plan shopping even if it's for unplanned events.

But you forget ONE LITTLE BUT NECESSARY THING and go back anyway.

So...yeah I guess it doesn't get better nearly as much as you think, but definitely better :shepspends:

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

balancedbias posted:

The rate of visits decrease.

Because you get used to full plan shopping even if it's for unplanned events.

But you forget ONE LITTLE BUT NECESSARY THING and go back anyway.

So...yeah I guess it doesn't get better nearly as much as you think, but definitely better :shepspends:

You just learn where everything is, so your trips get shorter. I'm pretty good at guessing where stuff is at Lowes now.

I've built up a pretty substantial cache of parts, but someone I still always need something else.

Just wait until the employees start recognizing you.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I've been told that it's not real DIY if you don't have to go back to Bunnings (Australian home depot equivalent) half way through your project to pick up something you missed the first time around.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

slap me silly posted:

Yup! Welcome to the partypoverty

One helpful tip is to just buy everything you think you might possibly need upfront, and then return what you don't use after you're done. This is especially helpful for plumbing jobs, eg just buy every fitting size you might need

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

One helpful tip is to just buy everything you think you might possibly need upfront, and then return what you don't use after you're done let what you don't use moulder in the basement for the next ten years

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

And if, after 10 years of mouldering, you finally decide to toss it, you will suddenly have a use for exactly that thing within the month.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Whosoever among us does not have a shelf full of Home Depot mystery bags full of two-to-six-year-old-intended-for-return-items may cast the first stone.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Is there anything I can spray on my deck to make it moss resistant? I power washed it all off over the weekend, but it's super shady back there so it's just going to grow back.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We budgeted for hardwood in the kitchen, saved, ordered it for install...then discovered we're gonna need a much bigger house sooner than we had planned. No more spending money on this house, we'll gonna need to move in three years.

...a house with what space we need at the entrance to our neighborhood went up for sale this week.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

DrBouvenstein posted:

if I sell it and tell the buyer the fence was replaced in 2016
I'm not sure that many buyers care about the year of updates that were done if they don't have electrical or plumbing components. Just keep it looking nice, don't list a year, and they'll infer that it's new-ish.

I got gutters on my home last week, but half of the downspouts are placed/pointed differently than the diagram in the contract. This wouldn't have happened if they had kept my Wednesday appointment that I took a half day off of work for! I called them 3 hours into the morning going, "Are you guys coming or not?" and found out they forgot to put me on the schedule at all. :shepicide: They had to come out the next day and do it unsupervised while I was at work, which apparently they were not trustworthy enough for.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Ghostnuke posted:

Is there anything I can spray on my deck to make it moss resistant? I power washed it all off over the weekend, but it's super shady back there so it's just going to grow back.

The same stuff they put on roofs to keep moss at bay. I think they mostly use zinc but you can use bleach too. Either should be effective for a while but you'll wanna make sure you don't gently caress up any plants around your deck.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

One helpful tip is to just buy everything you think you might possibly need upfront, and then return what you don't use after you're done. This is especially helpful for plumbing jobs, eg just buy every fitting size you might need

Another helpful tip is to buy a house <5 minutes from the nearest hardware store.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

devicenull posted:

Another helpful tip is to buy a house <5 minutes from the nearest hardware store.

I did exactly that, but the local hardware store is closed every goddamn time I need them the most. After six or seven on weekdays, closed Sundays, terrible Saturday hours, basically every time I'm actually doing something around the house.

Completely negates being within easy walking distance :argh:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Speaking of hardware stores - has anybody here done their own TV mount? I've wall mounted a computer monitor, but never a TV. Also, I would want to run the cables through the wall. Is it worth it to just pay somebody $200 or are the tools I'd need (I really ONLY have a drill) useful in the future for other projects?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Speaking of hardware stores - has anybody here done their own TV mount? I've wall mounted a computer monitor, but never a TV. Also, I would want to run the cables through the wall. Is it worth it to just pay somebody $200 or are the tools I'd need (I really ONLY have a drill) useful in the future for other projects?

Yes, I wall mounted my heavy 42" plasma when we moved in about six months ago. As far as I'm concerned you need two tools, a drill and a studfinder, one of which you have and the other of which is cheap and very useful as a homeowner. To do the cables through the wall I think you'd need a sheetrock saw as well (less than $10). A level and measuring tape would be useful as well, but again cheap and useful.

I used the Monoprice wall mount which was cheap and worked well.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Yes, I wall mounted my heavy 42" plasma when we moved in about six months ago. As far as I'm concerned you need two tools, a drill and a studfinder, one of which you have and the other of which is cheap and very useful as a homeowner. To do the cables through the wall I think you'd need a sheetrock saw as well (less than $10). A level and measuring tape would be useful as well, but again cheap and useful.

I used the Monoprice wall mount which was cheap and worked well.

Oh I actually do have the stud finder as well. My lazy friend keeps trying to convince me to "just pay some guy $250 to come do it" and I am thinking - I've mounted a monitor, I live in this house, I like playing with tools, it seems like a fun project, why not?

I've seen an attachment for a drill that lets you cut through drywall, and I found my wife's old measuring tape and level.

So I think I have my answer, thanks!

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Oh I actually do have the stud finder as well. My lazy friend keeps trying to convince me to "just pay some guy $250 to come do it" and I am thinking - I've mounted a monitor, I live in this house, I like playing with tools, it seems like a fun project, why not?

I've seen an attachment for a drill that lets you cut through drywall, and I found my wife's old measuring tape and level.

So I think I have my answer, thanks!

For cutting a hole for wires you just want to use a drywall saw, no need for a drill attachment.

Also it goes against code to run a normal power cable in the wall, so you will probably need one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerBridge-Recessed-Management-PowerConnect-Wall-Mounted/dp/B00GWGZKF6

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Hardwood flooring going in the kitchen!

e: gotta get that sweet 6% cash discount. :c00l:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

For cutting a hole for wires you just want to use a drywall saw, no need for a drill attachment.

Also it goes against code to run a normal power cable in the wall, so you will probably need one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerBridge-Recessed-Management-PowerConnect-Wall-Mounted/dp/B00GWGZKF6

Ah so everything else (HDMI, component, etc) is ok to run through the wall?

Cool!