Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Companies should be able to sue public entities for not following the law, but shouldn't be able to use litigation to force a change in policy or to retroactively demand compensation for another private subject being offered better terms in a different contract.

I reluctantly concede to your first point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Foulbrood posted:

If the Walloons give in to the pressure is there any other way to get it vetoed or sidetracked since the trade agreement bypasses the European Parliament?

CETA doesn't bypass the EU parliament.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

CETA doesn't bypass the EU parliament.
Oh, I might've misunderstood the process then since I thought once the trade agreement had been ratified by the national governments it just went to the Commission for its stamp of approval.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Geriatric Pirate posted:

How can you support the EU (and many other agreements that you just listed that have built-in dispute resolution mechanisms or supranational rules that override national policy on things like state aid) but oppose "any kind of ISDS"?

I do not support the current implementation of the EU anyway.

Any sort of dispute between a state organization and a third party should go through an administrative court. Any sort of private, independent organism cannot be trusted to judge on matters of legislation voted for by democratically-elected representatives in Parliament.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cat Mattress posted:

Any sort of dispute between a state organization and a third party should go through an administrative court. Any sort of private, independent organism cannot be trusted to judge on matters of legislation voted for by democratically-elected representatives in Parliament.

Well it's hard to take you seriously then.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Quite honestly, Europe is better off as a large country with a bunch of formerly-relevant provinces that get to continue having their own football teams and/or other sentimental carryovers.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

blowfish posted:

Quite honestly, Europe is better off as a large country with a bunch of formerly-relevant provinces that get to continue having their own football teams and/or other sentimental carryovers.

Full communism?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cat Mattress posted:

How is dispute resolution in the ILO (as an example) or the EU (through EU courts/the commission) any different from a trade agreement using some judge/arbitrator determine whether member states violated the terms they agreed to when they entered into the trade agreement? Just because it's not formally called a court doesn't mean that it isn't doing the exact same thing, i.e. enforcing the rules that the country has agreed to abide by as part of the trade agreement. Not to mention the fact that I don't think many of the institutions you listed actually resolve their disputes through administrative courts.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

How is dispute resolution in the ILO (as an example) or the EU (through EU courts/the commission) any different from a trade agreement using some judge/arbitrator determine whether member states violated the terms they agreed to when they entered into the trade agreement? Just because it's not formally called a court doesn't mean that it isn't doing the exact same thing, i.e. enforcing the rules that the country has agreed to abide by as part of the trade agreement. Not to mention the fact that I don't think many of the institutions you listed actually resolve their disputes through administrative courts.

Because courts and judges are appointed via a democratic process, and corporate arbiters are not? I know a libertarian like yourself isn't too keen on the concept of democracy, but surely you can understand the desire of common fleshbags in the public to keep some semblance of democratic rule

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

blowfish posted:

never gonna happen, give it up

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Morticia makes me hard posted:

never gonna happen, give it up

gonna happen, or all the little lovely european countries will sink into the sea

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Brussels has now also decided to give CETA the finger.

Hopefully it's dead now.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

icantfindaname posted:

Because courts and judges are appointed via a democratic process, and corporate arbiters are not? I know a libertarian like yourself isn't too keen on the concept of democracy, but surely you can understand the desire of common fleshbags in the public to keep some semblance of democratic rule
lol so the big difference here is that CoE members (unelected) vote for ECHR judges but CETA members would appoint arbiters (who enforce the rules of CETA, agreed upon by elected governments). Oh my god, what a huge blow to human rights and democracy. Supranational bodies appointing arbiters instead of voting for them? How can they ever enforce the rules if some bureaucrat somewhere doesn't vote for them???

Well that totally makes your reasoning less inconsistent and retarded.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Cat Mattress posted:

Do we need an FTA to trade with Canada or the USA? Are the tariffs high? The whole thing about how the EU not automatically rubber-stamping every trade agreement that comes its way is a proof that it's dysfunctional and backward is really ridiculous.

IMO there are four conditions necessary to an FTA:
1. Democratic sovereignty. No ISDS of any kind. gently caress you if you want them. Fuuuuck youuuuuuu.
2. Cultural heritage. Obey our PDO/PGI/TSG. Allow for cultural exception. gently caress you if you complain.
3. Human rights. Sign and ratify the following: all eight core ILO conventions, both optional protocols of the ICCPR, the Ottawa Treaty and the CCM; and also abolish the death penalty.
4. Environment. Sign and ratify the following: biodiversity convention, the Bonn Convention, the Kyoto protocol, the Basel Convention, the Stockholm Convention, the CLC, and the CLRTAP.

If a country doesn't agree with these four points, then it is incompatible with the EU and therefore a free trade agreement isn't possible, or desirable.

Hey Cat, a quick remark about all this and a couple answers to your initial questions.

Trade tariffs in Europe can be quite high, depending on the product. The full table may be found here. Of course, that won't help you, because there's just so much stuff in there, but according to my experience with the Tariff, there are generally high customs duties on clothes, plastics, certain metals, and foodstuffs. As for the rest, it really depends on the mood of the Commission. Most machines have very low tariffs, except for some electronic stuff.

Of course, this table is almost meaningless for another reason, and that reason is that we already have FTAs with over 90% of the countries on Earth. Well, they're not really FTAs, just a list of countries for which the Commission has unilaterally said "well, given that you're a developing country, you'll be getting reduced/no customs duties". This is dubbed "development aid". I'm sorry to report that considerations over human rights and the environment are completely forgotten for the poorest countries, and a mere pretence for the other countries of the Generalized System of Preferences. Here's a cool pdf (in French) about all this.

So there are few countries with which we don't have trade agreements. China is one, and so are the US, Canada, Russia, Australia and Japan. And, uh, that's about it I think.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If the generalized system of preferences were tied to human rights and liberal democracy, people would be complaining about economic imperialism.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Riso posted:

Hopefully it's dead now.

Gonna print out this post and jerk off on it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

blowfish posted:

gonna happen, or all the little lovely european countries will sink into the sea

you can rule europe, like Karl der Große! but you better be prepared to kill everyone. and you better start with me! because I will raise an army and beat you!

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Geriatric Pirate posted:

lol so the big difference here is that CoE members (unelected) vote for ECHR judges but CETA members would appoint arbiters (who enforce the rules of CETA, agreed upon by elected governments). Oh my god, what a huge blow to human rights and democracy. Supranational bodies appointing arbiters instead of voting for them? How can they ever enforce the rules if some bureaucrat somewhere doesn't vote for them???

The EU clearly agrees with the criticisms though, since otherwise they wouldn't have ditched ISDS in CETA for a more permanent Investment Court System. Anyway, take some time and partake of some terrific journalism by Buzzfeed of all places (rest of the series here) and see if you can maintain your righteous anger on behalf of the ISDS system.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I haven't read it but can I guess it's basically kill the rich, reason #48763578963896

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

In a dispute between a state and a private company, the state should always be deemed right, and the private company should be nationalized.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Pluskut Tukker posted:

The EU clearly agrees with the criticisms though, since otherwise they wouldn't have ditched ISDS in CETA for a more permanent Investment Court System. Anyway, take some time and partake of some terrific journalism by Buzzfeed of all places (rest of the series here) and see if you can maintain your righteous anger on behalf of the ISDS system.

I don't see a problem with those cases, it's basically the ISDS sticking to the principle that pacta sunt servanda, which is something the states in question agreed to because they wanted foreign investment and that you can't exploit a lovely legal system to pursue populist claims against foreign investors.

Sounds like a good thing.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't see a problem with those cases, it's basically the ISDS sticking to the principle that pacta sunt servanda, which is something the states in question agreed to because they wanted foreign investment and that you can't exploit a lovely legal system to pursue populist claims against foreign investors.

You're a really fast reader.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Flowers For Algeria posted:

In a dispute between a state and a private company, the state should always be deemed right, and the private company should be nationalized.

This is truth

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
International agreements are void if made under conditions constituting a threat according to the Charter of the UN, or if they are in violation of a peremptory norm of international law. If a new peremptory norm arises, all contracts are deemed void that are in violation of it. In a just world, the validity of contracts and treaties made by corrupt and despotic regimes would be revoked based on this principle, similar to how the concept of odious debt has entered international finances. And I believe that the alienation of a nation's right to legislate over its own land and natural resources by a government without democratic legitimacy is deserving of being elevated to the jus cogens area of peremptive norms.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Geriatric Pirate posted:

No one cares about the Church of England.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

International agreements are void if made under conditions constituting a threat according to the Charter of the UN, or if they are in violation of a peremptory norm of international law. If a new peremptory norm arises, all contracts are deemed void that are in violation of it. In a just world, the validity of contracts and treaties made by corrupt and despotic regimes would be revoked based on this principle, similar to how the concept of odious debt has entered international finances. And I believe that the alienation of a nation's right to legislate over its own land and natural resources by a government without democratic legitimacy is deserving of being elevated to the jus cogens area of peremptive norms.

Quite so.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

No one cares about the Church of England.

Sorry.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Yeah, clearly the EU agrees and isn't just window dressing to get all the anti-trade morons to shut up.

steinrokkan posted:

So the European Commission should have no power over member state policies?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GaussianCopula posted:

The argument for ISDS is basically, "what if tomorrow Germany elects Chavez and they nationalize everything, won't that drive away foreign investors?" and so it basically assumes that EU countries are third-world dictatorships. It's just adding insult to injury.

The idea that you have to sacrifice democracy and sovereignty to capital in order to bring investors to Europe is a complete loving lie and therefore proponents of ISDS should be the one exception to the ban on capital punishment.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Cat Mattress posted:

The argument for ISDS is basically, "what if tomorrow Germany elects Chavez and they nationalize everything, won't that drive away foreign investors?" and so it basically assumes that EU countries are third-world dictatorships. It's just adding insult to injury.

The idea that you have to sacrifice democracy and sovereignty to capital in order to bring investors to Europe is a complete loving lie and therefore proponents of ISDS should be the one exception to the ban on capital punishment.

We have at least 2 countries in the EU in which the current government is trying get their supreme court under their control to get judgements favorable to their interests (Greece, Poland). The best solution for this problem would probably be a permanent supranational court that settles this kind of disputes, but ISDS are not the devil they are made out to be or do you have examples where they judged against countries with functioning legal systems.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

On the other hand: Poland

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cat Mattress posted:

That same argument is the argument for the ECJ, the ECHR and so on

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

We have at least 2 countries in the EU in which the current government is trying get their supreme court under their control to get judgements favorable to their interests (Greece, Poland). The best solution for this problem would probably be a permanent supranational court that settles this kind of disputes, but ISDS are not the devil they are made out to be or do you have examples where they judged against countries with functioning legal systems.

Counterpoint: political interference is just another risk of doing business, and that risk should be borne by investors. In a functioning democracy foreign investors can lobby to protect their interests just like any other interest group can, and there's no need to grant them any special favours in the form of an additional veto point on domestic politics.

Also: read the articles I linked above.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Yeah, clearly the EU agrees and isn't just window dressing to get all the anti-trade morons to shut up.

And people wonder how the EU got a bad rap.

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 24, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Counterpoint: political interference is just another risk of doing business, and that risk should be borne by investors.

The idea of ISDS is to reduce this risk to encourage more foreign investment.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

The idea of ISDS is to reduce this risk to encourage more foreign investment.

No poo poo, Sherlock. My point is that the cost to society of reducing those risks for investors isn't worth it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Geriatric Pirate posted:

So the European Commission should have no power over member state policies?

The EU isn't a private organization, and it adopts decisions through voting, and only accepts members with elected governments, and it permits laws to change to reflect the will of a majority, i.e. it preserves the right of each member to back out of its arrangements unilaterally, it merely delegates authority on voluntary basis.

If a democratically elected government made, let's say, a commitment to grant a corporation a license to exploit manganese deposits in a certain plot of land for thirty years, then another government was elected and decreed that all mining in that zone was illegal, I believe the corporation would be more than justified to ask for a fair compensation for wasted investments and lost opportunities, but not to seek an overturning of the new law. If, however, a dictator starts doling out mining concessions to boost his Swiss bank account, those contracts should have no binding force for the posterity, and the beneficiaries of such contracts should have little to no right to claim any indemnities on account they willingly made business with an illegitimate government.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 24, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Riso posted:

Hopefully it's dead now.

The coalition governing Brussels is almost the same as the one in Wallonia, so I don't know why this would suddenly sound the death knell.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
FAZ reports that the most likely "deal" will be that the EU "rescues" a certain Caterpillar factory in Wallonia in trade for which they will stop vetoing CETA.

Surely corporate handouts are what every leftist wanted out of this deal...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Phlegmish posted:

The coalition governing Brussels is almost the same as the one in Wallonia, so I don't know why this would suddenly sound the death knell.

Because it is two Belgian states giving it the finger now and not just one.