Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8

Pretend the staff is an AWP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lmao

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Famethrowa posted:

I seriously don't get the obsessions with swapping rosters. They never let the players gel, it's always swapping people in and out so no one ever gets settled. I don't think it's a coincidence that the two teams in the latest Grand Final had two of the longest standing rosters. I was heard wrong, forgot about Magisk joining recently.

I suppose it makes sense to get the Major spot back for Fnatic, but still. Lekro was showing lots of promise, and the team finally got it's groove going.

Yet also most teams only found success in the wake of a roster change.
If you ever play in a CS team, you'll know that roster changes bring an instant difference. The idea of gelling as a team is both extremely slow and marginal compared to replacing one weak player with a strong one.

Honestly, I'd say that teams more often have a honeymoon period after a change, rather than their performance being reduced because they need time to gel.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

symbolic posted:

Just wait until they pilfer cype from...what team is cype even on?
Last time I saw him he was in DenDD purgatory

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

http://en.pro.eslgaming.com/csgo/proleague/news/fnatic-have-withdrawn-from-the-pro-league-finals/

I guess Fnatic dropped from the ESL Pro League Finals

The loving article posted:

In an unfortunate turn of events, Fnatic have let us know that they will be unable to attend the upcoming Pro League Finals.

Patrick 'cArn' Sättermon, Chief Gaming Officer at Fnatic, gave the following statement regarding their withdrawal:
"We regret to announce that our CS:GO team will not be able to participate in the ESL Pro League Finals in Brazil due to personal circumstances. We want to use this moment to wish all the finalists and ESL the best of luck in São Paulo."

Unfortunately none of the European non-relegation Pro League teams we contacted were able to attend the Pro League Finals on such short notice, either due to conflicting commitments or VISA issues. As such the tournament will take place with eleven teams and no replacement team taking Fnatic’s spot.

With the start of the tournament only two days away and the teams having prepared intensively for their respective group opponents, there will be no adjustments to the overall groups.

Therefore group A will be reduced to five teams and look as follows:

- Immortals
- Mousesports
- OpTic Gaming
- Team EnVyUs
- Team Liquid

While it will be sad not to see Fnatic at the Ginásio do Ibirapuera in São Paulo this week, the rest of the playing field will be more than ready to battle it out for the $600,000 on the line during last Pro League Finals of 2016.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Just invite a local team and make their year tbh.

e:

gla1ve to Astralis

Jeza fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 24, 2016

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Also -Lekr0 +Krimz confirmed. Also also, fnatic is going to use a standin for e-league because Dennis is about to have a baby, which would perhaps explain why they can't commit to going to ESL Pro League finals.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Whoa. Best of luck to the upcoming pro gamer dad.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

man so many trades today, krimz to fnatic might make them really scary again.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Thanks, this was super helpful to see how more experienced players think about the game! Makes sense.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Sure love clutching 1v4 to tie the game 15-15 with 4 immaculate awp shots just to find out in the replay that 3 of the guys had like 6 health each and I could have pistoled them if someone had thought to mention it.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Terrific Accident posted:

Sure love clutching 1v4 to tie the game 15-15 with 4 immaculate awp shots just to find out in the replay that 3 of the guys had like 6 health each and I could have pistoled them if someone had thought to mention it.

you know you've played CS a lot when awping 4 dudes can't be described glowingly. :v:

my friend has gotten really into CS lately, and he texted me telling me about the 1v3 he won. I miss that newbie feeling :allears:

Jeza posted:

Yet also most teams only found success in the wake of a roster change.
If you ever play in a CS team, you'll know that roster changes bring an instant difference. The idea of gelling as a team is both extremely slow and marginal compared to replacing one weak player with a strong one.

Honestly, I'd say that teams more often have a honeymoon period after a change, rather than their performance being reduced because they need time to gel.

I think right now teams are looking for constant honeymoon periods, and that's just not realistic. No team is going to fire white hot the whole time. I really think the trend right now is to despair after a couple bad losses, and they panic and make swaps.

Honestly, thinking about it now, the fear of being swapped, and the endless speculation about swaps, certainly can't be helping all these young 16-24 year olds. That's a lot of stress.

edit: and in most cases, the average CSGO player swap isn't going to provide that insane edge they crave. most mid-to-high players play pretty similarly.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 25, 2016

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

I think right now teams are looking for constant honeymoon periods, and that's just not realistic. No team is going to fire white hot the whole time. I really think the trend right now is to despair after a couple bad losses, and they panic and make swaps.

Honestly, thinking about it now, the fear of being swapped, and the endless speculation about swaps, certainly can't be helping all these young 16-24 year olds. That's a lot of stress.

edit: and in most cases, the average CSGO player swap isn't going to provide that insane edge they crave. most mid-to-high players play pretty similarly.

Teams are just looking for the perfect lineup. Every single top team has swapped players on the road to the top. VP is basically the only lineup in CS:GO to return to being the best team without a roster change - it's that unusual. And it took 2 years of poor results to get there. And don't forget, they only reached the top in the first place right after the swap to Snax and byali.

It doesn't take that long to know whether a lineup has the potential to make it or not. Success with roster swaps is usually very fast.

The average player swap is extremely relevant, it's the quickest way to change how a team plays and how successful it is. Most players actually have a pretty unique style, as unique as you can be in a game about shooting things on your screen. From the lowest skill to the highest. Two players with identical HLTV ratings may play in totally different ways, and bring totally different levels of success to a team depending on how their styles mesh together.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

18-0 on mirage as CT and I got auto balanced to T side and they immediately kicked me lmao

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

in case you all missed it shaGuar made it to the final table at the WSOP Main Event and might have had one of the highlights of poker eliminating one of the most hated players while shouting CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfWQS6LvFsg&feature=youtu.be&t=58m7s

He should have capped it off with a WHAT UP NOW BRITS WOOO

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Photex posted:

in case you all missed it shaGuar made it to the final table at the WSOP Main Event and might have had one of the highlights of poker eliminating one of the most hated players while shouting CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE.

holy poo poo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

God bless Valve.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

creatine posted:

18-0 on mirage as CT and I got auto balanced to T side and they immediately kicked me lmao

:psyduck:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Casual

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Oh yeah sorry, still playing casual until I can learn all the names of map locations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
[:justpost: but it says just play (competitive (in counter strike (global offensive)))]

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Photex posted:

I love this. Had he not reacted the way he did I have to imagine no one would have gone all in there. I mean pocket kings and aces aside, that's still a ballsy move pre-flop on the final table.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
seriously though, unless youre the guy who still is in his first 10 placement wins, the best way to learn is to just play comp dont be afraid, if you're bad itll place you with bad people. and smurfs.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I love when I derank. That just means I get to play more easy games.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i honestly have never truly felt that if i derank once ill get considerably easier games.
like the games will be just as tough but i happen to rank back up fast, despite not doing spectacular.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

ArfJason posted:

seriously though, unless youre the guy who still is in his first 10 placement wins, the best way to learn is to just play comp dont be afraid, if you're bad itll place you with bad people. and smurfs.

I haven't played any comp games yet lol. I'm like rank 3? I bought CS:GO awhile back but never played until now (Had been playing overwatch daily but fed up with it)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
my good man, play some comp

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

creatine posted:

I haven't played any comp games yet lol. I'm like rank 3? I bought CS:GO awhile back but never played until now (Had been playing overwatch daily but fed up with it)

seconding the comp thing. casual is a bizzaro mode that makes no sense.

and if you can get 18-0 in casual you should be ok in comp

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah I plan to jump in once I know I have the time to commit to a full match

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

creatine posted:

Oh yeah sorry, still playing casual until I can learn all the names of map locations.

pop dog is by the train

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

You learn maps and 'general' gameplay from casual but you don't learn anything about economy there. So just make sure to know a little about when/what to buy to coordinate with the team.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
you learn what the maps look like and a couple angles but will have no idea how to really play them

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Casual may mislead you even further, it's worth mentioning plenty of players don't actively attempt to plan several steps ahead like traditional competitive players do. It's surprising the difference between casual games and comp games in play flow, sometimes.

Tirux
Apr 28, 2010

The wolf is at your door.
So... is Valve really trying to stop hackers invading this game?

I really want to continue playing CS:GO but the hacking problem is absurd. Just got this in my last competitive match with this bullshit: https://clips.twitch.tv/tirux85/ElatedFishOneHand

And the hacker has been playing for more than 1,300 hours. wtf

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
It's also okay to ask what to buy and when. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Tirux posted:

So... is Valve really trying to stop hackers invading this game?

I really want to continue playing CS:GO but the hacking problem is absurd. Just got this in my last competitive match with this bullshit: https://clips.twitch.tv/tirux85/ElatedFishOneHand

And the hacker has been playing for more than 1,300 hours. wtf

Pretty sure people farm hours and sell the accounts haha

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Tirux posted:

Add a significant (>30s) delay to your stream, and/or don't start streaming until you're already in the match, or just stop entirely.

There are a lot of people on twitch that have nothing better to do than snipe low-viewer streams with spinbots, it's much easier than you would think to end up in the same match as someone else. Especially in smaller regions

Why are you even streaming this? You're unironically asking to get bullied if you're unwilling to take every precaution you can to thwart these trolls

E: Speaking of trolls, it's nice to see that getting OW convicted for griefing a second time is now permanent. That's a huge change.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 26, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Photex posted:

loving :laffo: that's a supreme pro-click

Tirux
Apr 28, 2010

The wolf is at your door.

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Add a significant (>30s) delay to your stream, and/or don't start streaming until you're already in the match, or just stop entirely.

There are a lot of people on twitch that have nothing better to do than snipe low-viewer streams with spinbots, it's much easier than you would think to end up in the same match as someone else. Especially in smaller regions

Why are you even streaming this? You're unironically asking to get bullied if you're unwilling to take every precaution you can to thwart these trolls

E: Speaking of trolls, it's nice to see that getting OW convicted for griefing a second time is now permanent. That's a huge change.

I don't care about my channel or getting views. I am using twitch to actually see my mistakes and get better.

Anyway this is the first time seeing this type of hacking and I am just asking if this issue is actually common in CS:GO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Tirux posted:

Anyway this is the first time seeing this type of hacking and I am just asking if this issue is actually common in CS:GO.

Hacking isn't as common as you'd think, but probably more common than anyone would like to admit. Spinbots aren't common because even the most braindead Overwatch guy ( like me ) can figure that one out. I can't remember the last time I saw one in comp.

Walls are a bitch because unless they're blatant, it is really hard tell if someone is doing it, or if they're good. Sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference even on Overwatch mode.

I am willing to bet that smurfs make people think there are way more hackers than there actually are.