Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Dammit. Someone's selling an engineless old French SUMB/Marmon military truck on Ebay. I have no way to get it home, and nowhere to put it if I did, but it's up at £250 (was £350 when it "sold" a week or two ago, but looks like he got a timewaster).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Security just dropped off a warning memo, it would appear some dickbag teenagers are running up to people around the shopping center, grabbing their glasses and running off. 20+ incidents so far and the police are patrolling but what the actual gently caress?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

"It's just a prank bro!"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Security just dropped off a warning memo, it would appear some dickbag teenagers are running up to people around the shopping center, grabbing their glasses and running off. 20+ incidents so far and the police are patrolling but what the actual gently caress?

Sounds like a Homestead thing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well, they won't be able to identify the perpetrator, so it's a long way from the stupidest criminal act you could achieve, at least.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Import Alliance just wrapped up here in Bowling Green. I have so many mixed emotions.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

Next sic viral prank video brah. Watch for it on FB

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, it's only a $400 average medical device that can make or break a family's six-month budget. No biggie!

(in b4 "zenni optical $30 glasses, I made glasses for seven years you know what I mean)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Something something Adam Ruins Everything.

I switched to Warby Parker on this most recent pair and couldn't be happier. Only $125 cash price despite needing high index for my blind rear end prescription.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm going in for a new scrip next week, I now need those special contacts for lumpy eyes. Then I'll grab some cheap new specs from China or something and continue to save for lasik when I turn 40.

I need some tech support. My laptop is pretty ancient and the fan is loud as hell and always on and it's been getting buggier and buggier despite a fresh windows install. I just want to buy an off the shelf basic laptop that will be silent, quick and allow me to cast whatever I want to the chromecast on my big tv. No gaming but I need it to be able to play pretty much any video format without hiccupping. And cheap maybe?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Lasik at 40 is the biggest loving waste, bro. Mean onset of presbyopia, for everybody on this green earth, is 44. You're going to need reading glasses anyway unless you do monovision, which steals depth perception.

Seriously, lasik after 35 is :psyduck: and was (when I got out of the industry in 2012) only pushed by shyster optho's who were underwater on their laser's yearly licensing fee.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yeah, it's only a $400 average medical device that can make or break a family's six-month budget. No biggie!

(in b4 "zenni optical $30 glasses, I made glasses for seven years you know what I mean)

Yea, if this is a 'prank', then it's not a funny one at all. I wear progressive lenses with the good optical coating and they are Transitions, so even after insurance they are over $400 and take 2 weeks to be made.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Quit ruining my fantasy of 20/20 vision when I'm 75!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I need some tech support. My laptop is pretty ancient and the fan is loud as hell and always on and it's been getting buggier and buggier despite a fresh windows install. I just want to buy an off the shelf basic laptop that will be silent, quick and allow me to cast whatever I want to the chromecast on my big tv. No gaming but I need it to be able to play pretty much any video format without hiccupping. And cheap maybe?

Tried blowing out the innards with a can of compressed air yet? $5 at an office supply store gets you a can that lasts for a few uses. Do it outside though, a few years of buildup can create quite the dust storm.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redgubbinz posted:

Tried blowing out the innards with a can of compressed air? $5 at an office supply store gets you a can that lasts for a few uses. Do it outside though, a few years of buildup can create quite the dust storm.

It's been taken apart by a more tech savvy person who cleaned it and added ram. It's just on it's last legs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

Quit ruining my fantasy of 20/20 vision when I'm 75!

My grandfather wore glasses all his life until he turned like 70 and had 20/20 vision again. Apparently, the nearsightedness was countered by the fairsightedness? He needed reading glasses at some point, but still passed the DMV eye test at like 96 (when he had no loving business driving).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jokes on me, I won't live to be 75!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I'm going in for a new scrip next week, I now need those special contacts for lumpy eyes. Then I'll grab some cheap new specs from China or something and continue to save for lasik when I turn 40.

Got a microcenter near you? Refurbished lattitude for like $300. Replace the hard drive and RAM for like $150 more and you've got a pretty good machine for web browsing and video playing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

Jokes on me, I won't live to be 75!

3/4 of my grandparents lived past 80, but 2 of them had completely hosed alzhiemers by 75. I dunno that I want to live that long unless they care that poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

Got a microcenter near you? Refurbished lattitude for like $300. Replace the hard drive and RAM for like $150 more and you've got a pretty good machine for web browsing and video playing.

I don't but I am looking at refurbs online right now.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 206 days!)

Rhyno posted:

For that same $450, you could get a new Dell from Dell Outlet that isn't 4 years old and probably preforms roughly the same as a $300 unit with an update. Just start watching their wanky twitter feed.

--

In non-SAAB related news, I signed up for the 3 months of SlingTV with a free Roku 2. They sent me a Premier (on purpose- having just axed this deal), which pretty much negates the expense of the wanky feeds on Sling. If I wasn't hooked on First 48, and have discovered a new love with El Ray, I'd still probably be pissed that the week I had for free had more on demand content than I have now.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 24, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Gather round, children, for a very quick and dirty explanation of Eyes, Glasses, and You.

-------------BASICS-------------

Your eye has a lens in it. This lens resides underneath your cornea. This lens focuses light onto your retina. When you have "perfect" vision ("20/20, though that's a bullshit measurement and I'll tell you why), the lens in your eye does what's called accommodation, or changes shape, to focus this light. When you're looking at something in the distance, the lens needs to get pulled flat a bit. To see up close, it needs to squish down and become thicker (I could have this backwards, I'm a bit tipped right now) Flying saucer versus, well, a taller, fatter flying saucer.

If you have imperfect vision, that means that the lens in your eye can't accommodate enough to focus the light. For some, the back of the eye is too close to the lens, and when looking at things up close, the lens can't squish enough to make the light meet it; but, when you're looking at things further away, that's still within the range of accommodation of your lens. These people are hyperopic* or "far sighted." They can see fine far away, but not up close. For other people, the retina of the eye is too far away for the lens to flatten out enough to focus. These people are said to be mopic*, or "near sighted." They can see up close just fine, but not far away.

Now, whether you have perfect vision, or are my/hyperopic, something will happen starting around age 40. The lens in your eye will start to harden, and lose its accommodation powers. This is called "presbyopia." In general, the "resting point" of the lens is focused out to infinity, and that's why you feel yourself have to "manually" focus on things up close after spacing out at your desk at work, because your eyes were resting and that means you were focused out into the distance.

This hardening/presbyopia will manifest, in somebody with good vision, as losing the ability to read up close. Even people with perfect vision will start struggling around their early thirties at doing close-up manual work. (I'm thirty and even I benefit from wearing some cheap +.75D reading glasses when doing soldering and the like, because it reduces the strain on my eyes with my contact lenses in.) Eventually, and usually around 44-45, people buy their first pair of dedicated reading glasses.

Now, for somebody with imperfect vision, presbyopia will start to add a "boundary" to their natural focus range. If you're farsighted, up until that point, you could wear glasses for reading, but didn't need glasses to drive during the day or at night. But, when presbyopia sets in, you may need night driving glasses, as being out at night opens up the pupil, and would naturally require the lens to focus somewhere due to the bigger aperture. Or, the presbyopia could "set" the lens at an intermediate (say, 10-20 foot) focal point, and you'd need glasses 100% of the time for anything involving distances greater than that. Likewise, if you're near-sighted, your natural focus range was closer. If you were mildly (-2.00 or under) myopic, you might have been able to see things from the tip of your nose out to your fingertips. Presbyopia will push that "close" boundary out from your nose further and further, until you only have one "sharp" focal point a set distance out. Eventually, the presbyopia will "surpass" the geometric ability of the eye, and even a nearsighted person would/will have to wear glasses 100% of the time, even for close work that a few years prior would have been no problem.

-------------LASIK-------------

LASIK is a procedure where they temporarily remove the cornea (the "flap" they talk about), and use a laser to correct the shape of the front of the lens. This will shift the "natural" focal range of the lens from something that was previously geometrically out-of-bounds with your retina, to something that's within range. That's all well and good.

However, LASIK will only really give you 100% benefit** if you do it at a point in your life when the lens in your eye is still flexible. Once your lens loses flexibility, the utility of LASIK is reduced. After presbyopia sets in, you'll have to choose which focal point you want for the surgery. Do you want perfect distance vision, and have to wear glasses to use a computer and to read (usually separate pairs, or a set of intermediate/reading glasses that are bifocals/trifocals/progressives)? Or are you a homebody that wants a focal point a few feet out for computer use and cooking, and instead needs glasses to drive or do other distance vision activities? Or, do you want the worst of both worlds, Monovision, where one eye is distance and one eye is up close and you lose all depth perception and it is also a poo poo procedure (I'm not biased)?

These are your choices, and kind of remove what people traditionally think of (and are advertised) as the main benefits of LASIK.

**LASIK can still benefit somebody like me with a -7.00, or somebody with a lot of astigmatism, by reducing, but not eliminating, the prescription they would otherwise require. This also reduces cost of specialty lenses, and can improve depth perception and clarity, even if you still have to wear contacts or glasses. Even after presbyopia sets in, somebody with a high prescription might choose LASIK for that reason alone.

*"myopia" and "hyperopia" are deceptively self-explanatory, but not in the way most people think. Hyperopia = Hyper (too much/far) + opia (optics), but it doesn't refer to what you can see. It refers to the fact that the focused light in your eye would be beyond, or behind, the retina. Myopia, same thing. Focused light falling short of the retina.

tl;dr Your eye has a "range" of distance it can see at. Farsighted people are generally X feet out to a 300 feet. Nearsighted people are from X feet in (but no further), to their nose. Good vision people are from their nose, out to 300 feet. LASIK can correct the near/farsighted people's "range" to be from their nose out to whatever. However, around age 40, this range will narrow for everybody, until it narrows down to a single point. LASIK can't give the range back, it can only move the point in or out.

Here's a quick picture I whipped up in an advanced photo editor:

LASIK after presbyopia can only shift around that focal zone, but it cannot expand it.

EDIT: I FORGOT ABOUT THE BULLSHIT 20/20 MEASUREMENT.

"20/20" or "20/40" or the like are just referencing your distance vision at 20 feet, that's all. "20/20" means that, at 20 feet, you see what a theoretical person with perfect focusing would see. "20/40" means, at 20 feet, you're seeing poo poo like you were 40 feet away, or less clearly. The scale only goes up to 20/400, so if somebody goes "I see 20/20000" they're talking out of their rear end, or have a lovely optometrist that gave them a probably-bullshit (could be mathematically calculated but literally nobody bothers) number. It's a useless measurement as well, because it doesn't actually account for your true distance or near vision. A moderately farsighted person, or a presbyopic person, might test out to 20/20 or even 20/15, but be poo poo at reading up close, or actually seeing out past 20 feet and couldn't be trusted to drive. It's a stupid measurement and everybody hates it.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 24, 2016

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I got Lasik when I was 24 after having bad myopia. It's been a few years now but still glad I did it.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Try to find something with an SSD if speed and silence are priorities, I have no experience with specific laptop brands and their longevity or build quality though

e: Visionchat...you know what's fun? Strabismus! Especially when it's severe enough that putting a strong enough prism in my lenses would essentially make them useless and surgery isn't guaranteed to fix the problem (confirmed by two separate ophthalmologists)! Next time you go for a drive, walk down a crowded hallway or play literally any sport involving depth perception - cross your eyes and keep them slightly crossed, you'll have the idea.

Oh, it also gets worse when I'm tired which makes driving at night very exciting.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 24, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

**LASIK can still benefit somebody like me with a -7.00

drat. I'm around a -4, and used to be able to avoid the special astigmatism contacts by cheating my way up a few ticks to close to -5. I've given up on contacts anyway, just too much of a pain. Last time I've worn them in at least five years was a trial set I got just to wear while snorkeling in Hawaii. Tossed them as soon as I got out of the ocean each time, and cheaper than prescription goggles that would be out of whack by now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I forgot I have to have corrective prism in my lenses now too. Getting old sucks, but I suppose it beats the alternative.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Staying young forever?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Staying young forever?

All you gotta do is decapitate an immortal and you're golden.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, Amazon just went and hosed a bunch of people hard.

We do our shift grab for the next day at 10pm on the dot (and everything is gone before 10:00:10). Last night... nobody from my warehouse saw the shifts come up. Cue a lot of freaking out over facebook.

Today we find out they assigned shifts (they'll throw us a few hours here and there, but it seems like everyone got 10-12 assigned this week) and are refusing to release anything except for 5am shifts. So I have 12 hours that I'm scheduled for, when I'm used to working 32-40. Tonight they released nothing but 5am shifts; I'm guessing the warehouse managers got in this morning and went "uh... who's supposed to deliver all this 5am poo poo?" and promptly released some 5:30 shifts.

I'm still active with DoorDash and Uber Eats. I did Uber Eats today and.... it's a lot less driving, but a lot less money too. Supposedly they had a $25/hr guarantee today (before Uber's 25% cut), but I won't know if I qualified for that until Thursday.

Time to freak out.. and also dust off my resume. And try to find something that pays in a hurry so I can make rent. :shepicide:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I switched to Warby Parker on this most recent pair and couldn't be happier.

I may check them out next time I get new glasses. The higher end Zenni stuff seems to hold up alright, but the styles are.... dated. They have two retail locations here too, so I can actually try them on (without having to do the "gimme 5 trial frames" bit) in person.

Though I think I dropped $125 or so on my last two pairs combined. Identical frames, but one is tinted and polarized. Both have the oleophobic coating, but it seems to have worn away. Warby's quite a bit more expensive.

Enourmo posted:

I'm sure they're nice, but that sounds like it requires pulling out the head unit. If meatpimp's Toyota's anything like my mom's old Lexus of similar vintage, it's a real pain in the rear end to remove, like disassembling half the dashboard. If you can get 90% of the audio quality with a plug-and-play cassette adapter, why go the hard route?

Not quite as bad.

I know pulling the stereo on my mom's car (which is the same generation, model, trim, and even the same JBL optioned stereo, just newer) is a bit of work. Center console trim, HVAC controls, ashtray, hazard switch, and center stack vents have to come out. Lower dash doesn't have to come out like it does on a lot of Lexii.

Actually now that I think about it, my car is similar, except the HVAC stuff doesn't get touched.

Now, whether you have perfect vision, or are my/hyperopic, something will happen starting around age 40. The lens in your eye will start to harden, and lose its accommodation powers. This is called "presbyopia." In general, the "resting point" of the lens is focused out to infinity, and that's why you feel yourself have to "manually" focus on things up close after spacing out at your desk at work, because your eyes were resting and that means you were focused out into the distance.

This hardening/presbyopia will manifest, in somebody with good vision, as losing the ability to read up close. Even people with perfect vision will start struggling around their early thirties at doing close-up manual work. (I'm thirty and even I benefit from wearing some cheap +.75D reading glasses when doing soldering and the like, because it reduces the strain on my eyes with my contact lenses in.) Eventually, and usually around 44-45, people buy their first pair of dedicated reading glasses.

I'm already at the point where I can't read really small print without a magnifying glass - especially really small stuff like what's on a cell phone charger.

Previously, I could get by fine without my glasses in decently lit surroundings, except for driving (couldn't read street signs at night). These days, I don't wear them if I'm reading or using a computer/phone/etc, but things are still a little blurry. Taking them off in a car during the day means I can still make out lane markers, but not street signs. Take them off at night and WHERE THE gently caress DID THE ROAD GO?!? Take them off in a dark room and I can't tell the difference between my cat and a shadow (he's bluish-gray, not black).

I'm only 38. :sigh: I started wearing glasses when I was 14, but I could always read really tiny stuff without them until a few years ago (and my glasses don't do poo poo for reading that stuff anyway). I've noticed I'm a lot more sensitive to bright light now too; I would love to have some darker sunglasses, but the ones I have now are as dark as Zenni (or was it Optical4Less?) offers. poo poo like HID headlights just murders my vision for a couple of minutes too.

Never tried contacts. I can't even put eye drops in my eyes, trying to stick contacts in would just end badly. Even when I get an eye exam, they have to pretty much force my eyelid open to get the dilating drops in.

Rhyno posted:

Avoid anything Intel that says Pentium with a bunch of letters and numbers. Those are basically tarted up Celerons. i3 or i5 (preferably i5) with a minimum of 4GB RAM (preferably 8, but you can upgrade it on a lot of laptops) will be decent, and you can find them for $300+. Slap a $50 SSD in and it'll really wake up.

I can't say anything about any brands, aside from saying avoid HP.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My mom got lasik at 62 and she sees good now. Got me thinking about it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I may check them out next time I get new glasses. The higher end Zenni stuff seems to hold up alright, but the styles are.... dated. They have two retail locations here too, so I can actually try them on (without having to do the "gimme 5 trial frames" bit) in person.

Though I think I dropped $125 or so on my last two pairs combined. Identical frames, but one is tinted and polarized. Both have the oleophobic coating, but it seems to have worn away. Warby's quite a bit more expensive.

Warby is a bit more (a lot more once you get to sunglasses) but the quality is definitely better than the pair of Zennis that I have. I've got a fat head so being able to try them on is a big plus, as is the fact that they have more wide styles than Zenni does.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Same issue for me.

Sunglasses are not optional for me, period, though I may forgo polarization on my next set - it's annoying not being able to see my car stereo display.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I got Forza Motorsport 6.
I discovered there is a Pontiac Aztek.
My goal is to win every race possible with the Aztek.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Gather round, children, for a very quick and dirty explanation of Eyes, Glasses, and You.

:words:

This post makes me angry.

Because when I was looking into lasik, I couldn't find anything as informative or as helpful as this.

Something is wrong with the Information Superhighway when you get your important and correct medical device from a cool dude in a subforum for people who forget to ventilate properly when using solvents, in a forum famous for the inhabitants making GBS threads their pants.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CharlesM posted:

I got Forza Motorsport 6.
I discovered there is a Pontiac Aztek.
My goal is to win every race possible with the Aztek.

Now this.. This is a noble cause.

edit: Are you playing on PC? If so, did they ever get around to fixing the no working racing wheel thing? I downloaded it from the store, tried to get it working, did some forums searching then promptly got rid of it. I'm not about playing a racing game with my thumbs.

double edit: Looks like they finally fixed something that should have been inherently built in to the product: http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm6a_wheel_support

keykey fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 24, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's more fun to troll people online in lovely cars that you tune up than it is to use the super exotic poo poo to set lap records like a dweeb.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's more fun to troll people online in lovely cars that you tune up than it is to use the super exotic poo poo to set lap records like a dweeb.
Option A still makes you sound kind of dweeby tbh.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

http://store.steampowered.com/app/516750/

IT'S loving HERE

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

**LASIK can still benefit somebody like me with a -7.00, or somebody with a lot of astigmatism, by reducing, but not eliminating, the prescription they would otherwise require. This also reduces cost of specialty lenses, and can improve depth perception and clarity, even if you still have to wear contacts or glasses.

EDIT: I FORGOT ABOUT THE BULLSHIT 20/20 MEASUREMENT.
I'm going to save this amazing succinct explanation, thanks for that.

I had prk done a month ago, I'm 32 and had a high astigmatism in both eyes. Was ok with not even achieving perfect vision, just wanted at a minimum to be less dependant on glasses (like, unsafe if they came off while driving at night). Also because of my job I'm not supposed to wear contacts, and my pre-surgery script meant I had a very short list of absolutely awful safety glasses that could accommodate my prescription. Both awful fitting so always falling off especially when sweaty, and blocked all my peripheral vision. I'm ok if at the end I still need glasses for driving, and/or reading glasses after age 40.

About the 20/20 scale....per my prk surgeon my script was something like -6.00, -7.00 but my pre surgery vision was only like 20/50 (measured, personally I thought it was terrible without glasses especially in low light) and I saw pretty well up close which he found interesting.

The day after surgery, I actually tested good enough to drive but in no loving way was I actually safe to drive. Recovery has been interesting...Started driving after a week.5 and went back to work, trying not to drive at night too much because headlights and even reflective road signs were terrible. Then 6 days later we got a loving hurricane and we were working 6am-10pm so I got thrown to the wolves driving a 40000lb line truck and pole trailer by myself restoring power for 7 days straight. First couple nights were interesting, I guess I didn't run over anything :v: .

Anyhow, currently at 20/25ish and hoping he starts weaning me off the steroid drops today, recovery is supposed to start improving relatively dramatically after off them completely. Currently happy with results, it's so nice wearing regular safety glasses at work. Full recovery and best vision takes 3 months or so, it's also nice being able to note my slowly improving vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

God DAMMIT I wish I had a Windows machine.

• Locked thread