Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I feel like someone let their 4-year-old child name the "Hospital of Special Surgery." I would demand treatment at a facility named by a grown-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Niwrad posted:

NFL ratings are down but their crappy Thursday night game still crushes an NBA Conference Finals game. Heck, their Thursday Night numbers are in line with what the Finals used to get a few years back before Curry and Lebron went at it. NFL is in a different league than everyone else when it comes to ratings.

Their ratings are great comparatively speaking. But the NBA as a league has kept their buzz positive and focused on the on court product. The NFL has been blundering from one controversy to another - some serious (concussions) and some extremely ridiculous (Deflategate). When was the last time the NBA had something happen on the level of missteps the NFL makes a couple times a year? The Palace fight? And even then they mitigated it the way a competent organization would.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Their ratings are great comparatively speaking. But the NBA as a league has kept their buzz positive and focused on the on court product. The NFL has been blundering from one controversy to another - some serious (concussions) and some extremely ridiculous (Deflategate). When was the last time the NBA had something happen on the level of missteps the NFL makes a couple times a year? The Palace fight? And even then they mitigated it the way a competent organization would.

The NBA's fixers, and their commissioners(Silver, and Stern) are/were really really really good at their job. The NBA was able to bury that ref fixing games and betting scandal with the quickness and managed to get people to legit believe it was just that one dude doing it.

Also way less players to have to worry about.(15 per team vs like 55 per team or whatever).

To quote David Stern during his last CBA negotiations. "I know where all the bodies are buried".

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
It's good to know I'm not alone in wishing the NBA would be punished by viewers for having the ability for something dumb as poo poo as Durant to the Warriors to happen

We all know deep in our hearts it won't happen, but it is nice to dream

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Stagger_Lee posted:

I feel like someone let their 4-year-old child name the "Hospital of Special Surgery." I would demand treatment at a facility named by a grown-up.

Literally thought it was a parody post after seeing that name.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/790432836159279105
https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/790433869652570112
I wonder what roll he was expecting.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

attackmole posted:

Aaaaaand, he's had surgery and is out indefinitely.

Guess it's time for the Pascal Siakam show.

His ascent into fan favourite begins now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Player on the 2009 Lakers. China didn't get many full brodcast Laker games last season, apparently.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
It's Hospital FOR Special Surgery!!!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

He probably didn't expect "probably not good enough to make a team that won 17 games last year."

Like he might have made the team just based on the fact that Thomas Robinson looks like he's thrown in the towel and MWP is in his 40s but he had almost no chance of hitting even his lowest incentives.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lessail posted:

It's good to know I'm not alone in wishing the NBA would be punished by viewers for having the ability for something dumb as poo poo as Durant to the Warriors to happen

You dream about the nba being punished by viewers for a player leaving a team?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Probably a nat 20

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Lessail posted:

I heard that way back in NBA history 3 all-stars got together during the summer and all decided to take pay cuts to play together. Can someone C/D?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

milk milk lemonade posted:

They had a ref who was fixing games and an owner who was openly racist.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dexo posted:

The NBA's fixers, and their commissioners(Silver, and Stern) are/were really really really good at their job. The NBA was able to bury that ref fixing games and betting scandal with the quickness and managed to get people to legit believe it was just that one dude doing it.

Also way less players to have to worry about.(15 per team vs like 55 per team or whatever).

To quote David Stern during his last CBA negotiations. "I know where all the bodies are buried".

I still don't think Stern was that good, outside of the 80's where he put in rules that stopped teams from sabotaging themselves. I think the ref scandal blew over so quick because a bunch of folks already thought the NBA was fixed rather than anything Stern did (although he did push the whole narrative about it being one isolated dude). Look at how much the popularity dipped when Jordan left (both times). Jordan was obviously a phenomenon, but the fact that Stern seemed unable to buoy the popularity of the league until Lebron came around and started winning is telling. Honestly Stern in hindsight seems very similar to Goodell.

Silver though I think is doing a solid job.

Lessail posted:

If history's any indication, they'll actually have more viewers.

Also I still don't get how it's supposedly fine for GMs to rip off other GMs to build up a title team, but players deciding they want to work together to win is somehow a bad thing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

The Donaghy thing was almost 10 years ago, and the NBA kicked the racist owner to the curb in a way that no other league would have the balls to do. How Donald Sterling was handled should be considered a glowing high point in the Adam Silver era.

I don't think that effects the viewership one way or another by a huge degree. The fact that NFL is trying to fight social media and keep it's product walled up is probably hurting itself way more.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Today is the last day for cuts, I think. Pels will probably release one of Alonzo Gee or Lance Stephenson. Lance is the likely better player for this team (though the gap is smaller than I would like), but Gee has apparently become a close friend of AD's. I don't believe the Pels have made a worse roster move when a better one was available due to "AD friendship" before and I hope they don't start now.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lockback posted:

The Donaghy thing was almost 10 years ago, and the NBA kicked the racist owner to the curb in a way that no other league would have the balls to do. How Donald Sterling was handled should be considered a glowing high point in the Adam Silver era.

I don't think that effects the viewership one way or another by a huge degree. The fact that NFL is trying to fight social media and keep it's product walled up is probably hurting itself way more.

Yeah, for whatever reason the league's offices seem to want to centralize everything and work against engaging with fans. The recent restrictions on what teams can post on social media accounts is just baffling.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Kibner posted:

Yay, some official word from the Holiday camp:

https://twitter.com/GlushonSM/status/790311852395728896

Wait, he named his daughter "Jrue Tyler"??

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I heard that way back in NBA history 3 all-stars got together during the summer and all decided to take pay cuts to play together. Can someone C/D?

False equivalence

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wait, he named his daughter "Jrue Tyler"??

:shrug:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

alansmithee posted:

Also I still don't get how it's supposedly fine for GMs to rip off other GMs to build up a title team, but players deciding they want to work together to win is somehow a bad thing.

Irrational sports fans

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/790551597411504128

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I laughed:

(from http://fansided.com/2016/10/24/memphis-grizzlies-still-grinding/)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'm just basically dumping things from my Twitter timeline that may be of interest.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/790562079539290112

----

And the Pels waive Gee. Looks like Lance has made the roster.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This article spoke to my heart: http://fansided.com/2016/10/24/detroit-pistons-celebrate-mediocrity/

quote:

{...}

Your team is probably not going to win the NBA Championship this year. In fact, it’s probably more improbable than it’s ever been in the past. This season has the potential to exhibit more dominance than we’ve seen, maybe ever. Dominance requires a lot of things getting dominated, and the dominated tend to outnumber the dominant. The team you like most is probably part of that lesser group, and that probably sucks.

It’s good to lower your expectations sometimes. The 2016-2017 season is probably one of those times. I’m not saying this to hurt you, I’m saying this to help.

{...}

I don’t want to say there is one right way to enjoy basketball, but whatever my mindset was while watching Darko is right for me. I remember the little ripples of joy every time I saw him pull down a rebound in garbage time or seeing that he hit one of two free throws in the Free Press box score. It was my first lesson in finding little moments of joy in something that should, in essence, be entertaining. Some people like horror films. Some people like to analyze them. I like The Lion King. I would have been cool with the movie ending after “Hakuna Matata.”

{...}

You know what else is cool? The second runner up in the historic 2016 dunk contest Andre Drummond is on the team. And he’s my favorite. Either he is or LeBron is, but who really keeps track of these things?

And you know what else is cool? Ish Smith. He might fit an important need and his name is fun to say.

And you know what else is cool? Boban. He’s really big and foreign.

And you know what else is cool? I don’t know yet, but something cool might happen. Isn’t that cool?

{...]

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I'm jumping on the Devin Booker bandwagon while there is still some room. I love his game.

edit:

Also:

quote:

Overall, public officials from Oakland, Alameda County and the joint authority they formed to run Oracle Arena and neighboring Oakland Coliseum have claimed more than 7,000 tickets to Warriors’ games at a total face value of $7.8 million over the last three seasons, records show.

Local politicians have access to those tickets through clauses in the contracts that allow the Warriors, Raiders and A’s to play at the publicly owned Oakland arena and coliseum; there are three luxury boxes in each facility reserved for their use. State regulations exempt the tickets from the standard political gift limit of $400 annually as long as they’re used for a “public purpose,” and the local agencies have drawn up a broadly defined list of nine allowable uses, such as inspecting the arena, promoting attendance to games, and recognizing local children for doing well in school.

Officials who claim the tickets are required to fill out forms stating the purpose for which they were used, but no one polices the forms to make sure they’re following the rules. The disclosure records show nonprofits, schools and community groups received the public agencies’ free Warriors tickets about 24 percent of the time while politicians and government employees kept the seats for themselves at least 56 percent of the time. Other times it’s impossible to tell where the tickets ended up because the “public purpose” was listed simply as “promote arena attendance” or not listed at all.

“Every month, they (the city) hand us an envelope with a bunch of tickets,” said Oakland Councilman Noel Gallo, who reported taking $22,000 in Warriors tickets. Although Gallo’s forms state he took the tickets in his official capacity to provide oversight of the arena, he said he gave nearly all of them to family members.

“This is certainly a perk for elected officials and city staff, no one can argue otherwise,” said Oakland City Attorney Barbara Parker, who has taken $314,000 worth of tickets the past three years. She said the city’s ticket policy “is worth reviewing.”

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/10/...family-cronies/

Edit:

quote:

Valle gave four tickets worth $10,000 each for Game 7 of last season’s NBA Finals to an Oakland artist and county arts commissioner, Andrew Johnstone, who two years earlier had painted a portrait of Valle’s wife and presented it publicly.

“It was just a gift, a lovely gesture, “Johnstone said of the tickets. “We’re family friends. It was out of the blue. I’m not even a huge basketball fan.” Valle did not return repeated phone messages.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
For some reason I thought that GSW was going to have a lot of trouble keeping KD next summer with cap holds and stuff, but it's pretty straightforward for them to keep KD and Curry and still have $19m to re-sign Livingston and Iggy or go after other free agents. That's a little depressing.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Didn't international League Pass basically have all of this already? It definitely had arena feeds during timeout/halftime which are amazing.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
(CURRY)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

James Young made the Celtics 15 man roster.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
There are a bunch of NBA twitter emoji now. Sadly, they don't show up when the tweets are embedded here.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

leftist heap posted:

Didn't international League Pass basically have all of this already? It definitely had arena feeds during timeout/halftime which are amazing.

ILP is done by a different company, uses a different client, has different packages, different rates, and even had more feed choices than LPBB did until recently.

It's a completely different service and what it does has no bearing on the domestic version or vice-versa.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Its only been, what, 2 years since Sterling got booted? Feels longer.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Shaq is gonna die of a heart attack and no lockouts until the mid-2020s.

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/790569045837787136

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/790587919752957952

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Meanwhile in important NBA news

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/790569045837787136

I hope this means that Shaq's pro gaming teams will have donut sponsorships.

e: ^^^^ :argh:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RJ Hunter got waived. Anyone looking at a shooter who can't shoot?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So the biggest question is, will the new CBA still come with an amnesty?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

RJ Hunter got waived. Anyone looking at a shooter who can't shoot?

Waived on his birthday, rough go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Tae posted:

So the biggest question is, will the new CBA still come with an amnesty?

That's been my big question. I'd bet yes.

Also, Yao status: still huge.

https://twitter.com/PGA_JohnDaly/status/789815822701080576

• Locked thread