Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

MrBling posted:

Where are you with neo-folk as a genre? Because that seems to hit most of your points really.
Passingly familiar. Rome I actually have a couple albums of, I do like them though I don't listen to them much anymore. I've heard other stuff here and there as well. It's not completely off the mark, but the problem is that neofolk tends to be too somber and, for lack of a better word, heavy. Not in sound, but in atmosphere. I'm not really after anything folky either; I've seen some comments (not just from Jadz just now) referring to Harmaja as folk, but to me they're just (semi)acoustic pop/rock.

I mean I could come up with a mess of abstract poo poo about how I want stuff that sounds like autumn leaves on a wet sidewalk on a foggy October night, but that's probably not very helpful. :v:
For what it's worth, of the stuff I've been recommended elsewhere thus far, this particular song was probably the best fit, albeit a bit on the cutesy side.

Jadz posted:

Gonna be honest, though, most of that stuff you posted isn't really doing it for me. I'm not really into folk music, I just like melancholy acoustic rock. Tarot sounded like a legit medieval bard, which is cool, but not really what I'm after :)
Heh, fair enough. Like I mentioned above, Harmaja don't really come across as folk to me, but maybe our folk-o--meters are calibrated differently. And Tarot are actually just a straight-up heavy metal band, that particular song is a bit of a curiosity in their discography. I do love me some melancholy rock ballads too, but admittedly the grunge-y stuff like Alice in Chains isn't my thing, I'm much more of a classic rock / heavy metal kinda guy.

Anyways, I'm gonna rattle off a few more suggestions, although annoyingly I'm having trouble coming up with strictly acoustic stuff. Hopefully that's not a very strict requirement, although all of these do have pretty prominent acoustic elements.

Europe - Angels (With Broken Hearts). Yes, that Europe. But this song is actually from 2015.
Sentenced - The River. Metal band. Melancholy and misery to a downright comical extent is their thing. This particular song has this cool half-acoustic thing going on.
Bruce Dickinson - Tears of the Dragon Again has a fair amount of distorted electric guitar in addition to acoustic, but gently caress it I'm including this because it's just such a quintessential rock ballad
Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust Quite simply one of the most heart-wrenchingly beautiful songs I know of. Pretentious, gratuitously weird music video notwithstanding.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Jadz posted:

I just like melancholy acoustic rock.

Red House Painters? Not always acoustic, but melancholy as much as you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KT_pN6qP58

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Nordick posted:

Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust Quite simply one of the most heart-wrenchingly beautiful songs I know of. Pretentious, gratuitously weird music video notwithstanding.

Now THIS I'm digging. The other stuff had an awesome sound to it, but I didn't care for most of the vocals. But this? This is good. I will be listening to some more Poets and seeing what else they've got. Thanks :D

Zesty Mordant posted:

Red House Painters? Not always acoustic, but melancholy as much as you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KT_pN6qP58

I like this! It hits all the points; acoustics, melancholy, AND it has a nice harmony in there. I'll listen to more of these guys, thanks!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Jadz posted:

I'd like to find some more songs to round out my acoustic/ballads playlist.

I prefer rock bands, and I prefer the music to be a little more on the darker, more melancholic side. Bonus if there's really well-done harmonies in there. Examples of stuff already on this playlist are Alice In Chains (especially stuff from their MTV Unplugged set), Stone Sour, Pink Floyd, and Adna. I'd love to keep adding to this list with some like-minded stuff.

Thanks!

Maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW3pZjmS3rg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOCPi9bkvOA

Instant Crush
May 14, 2013
so uh.... trap hi-hats??

I really loved how they were used in tracks like this

Crystal Castles - Femen
Purity Ring - Dust Hymn

These artists/genres I'm not really familiar with but I'm looking for similar stuff

Danny Brown - 25 Bucks
Zomby - Soliloquy

I am pretty clueless here. Please advise

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
sun kil moon is basically the better sequel to red house painters, so listen to them too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBBqLPUxddc

and if you like them, might i recommend a few of jim o'rourke's albums. it's not all acoustic, and it's not all melancholy, but it hits the same kind of burgundy-sippin smart-guy-pop notes that RHP/SKM does for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7-VFiUkjbI

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 12, 2016

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering if anyone knows of any bands that have the energy and style of hard rock as Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction? I think I found them a while ago by looking up similar bands to Kix (despite them being somewhat different; Kix being more like a glam rock version of AC/DC) I think, but I can't seem to find any other bands quite like them. I'm mostly thinking about the below songs:

Prime Mover (mostly after the :30 intro)
Tattoed Beat Messiah
Holy Gasoline

So yeah, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Instant Crush posted:

so uh.... trap hi-hats??

I really loved how they were used in tracks like this

Crystal Castles - Femen
Purity Ring - Dust Hymn

it's 2010 and witch house is all the rage:

suicidewave
dead virgin

purity ring has always worked with the same sounds as witchhouse while crystal castles is at this point straight up witchhouse which is really funny to me but w/e. search for your favorite combination of cross and pyramid unicode symbols in youtube and you will get all the trap hi hats over dark rave synth presets you can want. wear fake black diamond jewelry, baggy clothes,d rink some lean and hang out in your basement while listening to salem or pictureplane and feel yourself truly traveling back 6-7 years

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
if you truly want to full witchhouse experience btw:

get into anime like not in the typical nerd lame way but the kid who always has a switchblade at the church youth group way, post on /mu/, have way too many pics of bandaged asian women on your computer (more than zero), have a constant sweaty sheen even though you never go outside and you don't do any physical activity. then dump the entire aesthetic you have built to cover your lack of personality to jump on the vaporwave bandwagon

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
All I listen to is Modest Mouse and anime music. I need to find new stuff to listen to. What are other good bands?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering if anyone knows of any bands that have the energy and style of hard rock as Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction? I think I found them a while ago by looking up similar bands to Kix (despite them being somewhat different; Kix being more like a glam rock version of AC/DC) I think, but I can't seem to find any other bands quite like them. I'm mostly thinking about the below songs:

Tattoed Beat Messiah
Holy Gasoline

That would be sort of like hair metal but not exactly hair metal, I guess. I could mention a lot of bands in that vein (I used to be a big Def Leppard fan in school) but don't know about what's most like Zodiac Mindwarp.

Maybe looking at the Rock Candy Records catalogue would be a good start? They remaster and reissue a ton of stuff like that so maybe it would be worth a try.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 15, 2016

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Guy Goodbody posted:

All I listen to is Modest Mouse and anime music. I need to find new stuff to listen to. What are other good bands?

Throw us a line here, chip. Many bands are good, great even. Are you looking for things more like modest mouse?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zesty Mordant posted:

Throw us a line here, chip. Many bands are good, great even. Are you looking for things more like modest mouse?

If there are bands like Modest Mouse, that would be great.

Instant Crush
May 14, 2013

fantasy zone posted:

it's 2010 and witch house is all the rage:

suicidewave
dead virgin

purity ring has always worked with the same sounds as witchhouse while crystal castles is at this point straight up witchhouse which is really funny to me but w/e. search for your favorite combination of cross and pyramid unicode symbols in youtube and you will get all the trap hi hats over dark rave synth presets you can want. wear fake black diamond jewelry, baggy clothes,d rink some lean and hang out in your basement while listening to salem or pictureplane and feel yourself truly traveling back 6-7 years

i will admit, after posting this, i remembered that salem existed and they did the witch house thing pretty well. i love synths. i love spooky. i love rolling hi-hats. i have no shame in this. would have been really into the genre if it weren't full of low-effort bandwagon jumpers (yeah like vaporwave). adding that dead virgin track to my halloween playlist ty

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
said all that out of pure love for it but ummmm think that equilateral records are still putting up witchhouse releases so it's worth checking out

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I rotate the music on my phone every once in a while and the current set is: Antarctigo Vespucci, Arrogant Sons of Bitches, Bob Lind, BTMI!, Cheryl Lynn, The Clash, Crying, Dollar Signs, The Dresden Dolls ( I know), ELO, G.L.O.S.S., Jackie Lynn, Jeff Rosenstock, Judee Sill, Kero Kero Bonito, Kinks, ovlov, Pup, Ramshackle Glory, Richard Hell & The Voidoids, RØÅR, Solange, Stevie Wonder, They Might Be Giants, Tirolean Tape, Wire, Tamao Koike
What should I listen to? I'm down for everything but fair warning I have trouble listening to anything that's uh, slow? Low tempo? Not sure the exact words I'm looking for, I just very quickly lose interest for whatever reason, it's admittedly fail

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I rotate the music on my phone every once in a while and the current set is: Antarctigo Vespucci, Arrogant Sons of Bitches, Bob Lind, BTMI!, Cheryl Lynn, The Clash, Crying, Dollar Signs, The Dresden Dolls ( I know), ELO, G.L.O.S.S., Jackie Lynn, Jeff Rosenstock, Judee Sill, Kero Kero Bonito, Kinks, ovlov, Pup, Ramshackle Glory, Richard Hell & The Voidoids, RØÅR, Solange, Stevie Wonder, They Might Be Giants, Tirolean Tape, Wire, Tamao Koike
What should I listen to? I'm down for everything but fair warning I have trouble listening to anything that's uh, slow? Low tempo? Not sure the exact words I'm looking for, I just very quickly lose interest for whatever reason, it's admittedly fail

A variety pack, off the top of my head:

Sonic Youth, Goo (alt rock / noise rock—this one might be their most straightforward rockin' album)
Earthless, From the Ages (lengthy instrumental guitar/bass/drum jams)
Jethro Tull, Benefit (early Tull)
Magma, Theusz Hamtaahk (prog rock; lyrics are in Kobaïan, a language invented by the drummer/band leader, Christian Vander)
The Cramps, Look Mom, No Head! (garage rock/psychobilly)
Plasmatics, New Hope for the Wretched (punk)
Last Exit, self-titled (free jazz)
Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band, Doc at the Radar Station (Not my favorite album of his, but I would hesitate to recommend my favorites to the uninitiated. This is a very solid one, one I come back to frequently, and one I feel good about recommending. I'm at a loss to describe Beefheart briefly in any meaningful way, but it's possible you've heard him already, so...)
Creedence Clearwater Revival, Bayou Country (CCR—'nuff said)
Johnny Dowd, Temporary Shelter (Wikipedia describes him as "alternative country" with comparisons to Tom Waits, Nick Cave, and Captain Beefheart)
North Mississippi Allstars, Shake Hands with Shorty (blues rock)
The Bears, self-titled (pop, definitely above average in songwriting, musicianship, and wit; featuring Adrian Belew, whom you may know from his time with Frank Zappa, King Crimson, and/or David Bowie)
Phil Manzanera, Diamond Head (Roxy Music guitarist; psychedelic, mostly)
801 Live (psychedelic, featuring the aforementioned Mr. Manzanera)

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Keith Atherton posted:

I had never heard Mastodon until tonight - thought it was A Perfect Circle at first. Way more melodic that I thought they would be based on the name. The song was "Oblivion" - any recommendations on other stuff from them or similar stuff that combines melody plus heaviness? Deftones I'm already well familiar with

I know I'm late to this, but, Dimmu Borgir? Dissection (check out Dechristianize, listen til the solo)? Vital Remains?

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkP3ktcmNUw

black.lion fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 16, 2016

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

WickedHate posted:

If I want to get into 50 Cent, what should I listen to? What's the ecentials?

Get Rich or Die Trying is, was, and will forever be the best 50 album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D3crqpClPY

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

blue squares posted:

I'm beginning to explore rap and having a great time, but there is a type I like the most: stuff like Kanye, meaning very produced, songs that are dynamic and surprise you. A song with a few beats that exist mostly to back the lyrics isn't as enjoyable to me.

So if I want rap with very dynamic and creative sound, where should I head?

so Re: highly produced and SUPER AMAZING beats, this group called J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League has made some of the best beats in history. They put out a new mixtape, here's a couple of my favs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07QekpSwsXc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7PsjafcBX0

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

this list is too eclectic to answer in one post but going off cheryl lynn or stevie wonder you should listen to like... isaac hayes, curtis mayfield, marvin gaye, al green, harold melvin & the blue notes / teddy pendergrass, rufus & chaka khan, aretha franklin, roy ayers, george duke, kashif, evelyn "champagne" king, inner life, crown heights affair, melba moore, the s.o.s. band, diana ross, the pointer sisters, chic, sister sledge, sylvester, prince, change / luther vandross, shalamar, mtume... honestly ive already gone on for too long. find a list of stuff played at the loft or paradise garage and you should be set

if you want uptempo stuff listen to hardcore / happy hardcore, jungle, and juke

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 16, 2016

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

That would be sort of like hair metal but not exactly hair metal, I guess. I could mention a lot of bands in that vein (I used to be a big Def Leppard fan in school) but don't know about what's most like Zodiac Mindwarp.

Maybe looking at the Rock Candy Records catalogue would be a good start? They remaster and reissue a ton of stuff like that so maybe it would be worth a try.

Yeah, Def Leppard's great - thanks for that link by the way. Checked it out and I've now found a couple more bands to add to my pile. (I'll have to keep checking their new releases in the future too, I think)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Major Isoor posted:

Tattoed Beat Messiah
Holy Gasoline

Not sure which aspects exacty you want to be similar, so I'll just fire off a few slightly different suggestions of classic hard rock that I personally really like and that are at least vaguely in that direction;

Audrey Horne: Great melodic hard rock, some tracks have a bit of a metal tinge. Youngblood and Pure Heavy are fantastic albums. Not as blatantly 80s as Zodiac Mindwarp though.

The Night Flight Orchestra: Some review said these guys do a great job emulating what 70s bands sounded like in the 80s. Can't dispute that, with songs like this and this. I mean, I'm getting vibes of Graham Bonnet era Rainbow and a whiff of Thin Lizzy. Less gritty/sleazy sounding than ZM.

Zero Nine: An actual old band. Not terribly familiar with them, but their biggest hit song is from the album Intrigue so start with that I guess. It's not the only good song on it either. A bit more metal than ZM I guess?

Hollywood Vampires: A supergroup/project by Alice Cooper, Joe Perry and Johnny Depp.* Just one album, that has a few original songs and a bunch of covers, a few of which are funnily arranged into like two song medleys. A bit of a weird case, but a drat fine and entertaining rock album with a bit of a novelty value.

*: Yes, really. I didn't know he's a rock guitarist, either.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Nordick posted:

Hollywood Vampires: A supergroup/project by Alice Cooper, Joe Perry and Johnny Depp.* Just one album, that has a few original songs and a bunch of covers, a few of which are funnily arranged into like two song medleys. A bit of a weird case, but a drat fine and entertaining rock album with a bit of a novelty value.

*: Yes, really. I didn't know he's a rock guitarist, either.

i added this to the spotify queue before i even finished reading the post.

edit- wow, it's, um... really terrible. not even funny terrible.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 19, 2016

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

funkybottoms posted:

i added this to the spotify queue before i even finished reading the post.

Yeah wow, that sounds crazy! :D Thanks Nordick, sounds good - I'll definitely need to give those suggestions a listen after I get home from work (when I'm NOT stuck phone posting...)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I also forgot to mention that the album's intro track is Sir Christopher Lee reciting a passage from Bram Stoker's Dracula.

So yeah, that album sure is a thing.

EDIT: Actually I'll spoiler that because it could be a cool surprise for someone, too.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 19, 2016

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Guy Goodbody posted:

If there are bands like Modest Mouse, that would be great.

Tell me your favorite mm album and song and then we can get started. I'm gonna help you bud, because I think you can make it.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys. I'm trying to find music to accompany my burgeoning drinking problem; does anyone have more angry yet depressing songs along the lines of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89bD3yISP70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG9LXyyHVNk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89NjEeHku8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Bq_2soGIA

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 22, 2016

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Hey guys. I'm trying to find music to accompany my burgeoning drinking problem; does anyone have more angry yet depressing songs along the lines of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89bD3yISP70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG9LXyyHVNk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89NjEeHku8o

Not exactly what you asked for, but I'd imagine this will speak to you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgFeZr5ptV8

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

[Drinking Music]

You didn't mention them, as obvious as it is so I assume you don't know, but The Pogues are pretty much what are those bands aspire to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZIISfOm3dI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvV5mryQF1I

Then, a little different but similar, Tom Waits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0I4k9qqAjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVaEPx_VyXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDGhJtEsmj8

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm looking for something the polar opposite of that Pogues and Tom Waites stuff. I'm looking for some Neo-Disco. Something like this, with big funky beats and a nice rolling groove.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCa95DOjn8E

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

LionYeti posted:

I'm looking for something the polar opposite of that Pogues and Tom Waites stuff. I'm looking for some Neo-Disco. Something like this, with big funky beats and a nice rolling groove.

There's been a lot of nu-disco coming out of Norway over the past few years. It's a lot more lounge-y than Justice and flirts a lot with italo disco, but it might still be worth checking out.

Todd Terje - Inspector Norse
Todd Terje & Lindstrøm - Lanzarote
Lindstrøm - Faar-i-Kaal (Todd Terje edit)
Diskjokke - Some signs are good
Telephones - Kanal

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LionYeti posted:

Check out some Gary Numan.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
I heard of Wendy O through this song, and I like her & Lemmy's cover of this song, but I never really looked into her...
So what would be a good place to start with her/Plasmatics?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Depends on what you like, their earlier material is basically just punk, but a lot of the later stuff has more metal coming in. Maybe Beyond the Valley of 1984 first and then move on to Coup d'État or back to New Hope for the Wretched depending on what you like. Maggots: The Record is this metal concept album with kind of funny 'story' sections, it's pretty cool too. The later albums she did under her own name are quite bad except for one or two songs iirc.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0bS-YnLf4s

i just found this and its so fun. it reminds me of early bondax or something i cant quite place it. that honey synthesizer and the groovy drum

what else is good in this area?

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
I really like the early stuff by Mike Oldfield (Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn). Which other artists has a similar sound or style, instrumental and melodic but still with lots going on?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

lots of krautrock / kosmische (tangerine dream, klaus schulze, michael hoenig, ashra / manuel gottsching, cluster / harmonia / moebius and rodelius, software, deuter, harald grosskopf) jon hassell, suzanne ciani, emerald web, j.d. emmanuel, vangelis, jean michel jarre, steve roach, emeralds, steve moore, etc etc

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Radio Spiricom posted:

lots of krautrock / kosmische (tangerine dream, klaus schulze, michael hoenig, ashra / manuel gottsching, cluster / harmonia / moebius and rodelius, software, deuter, harald grosskopf) jon hassell, suzanne ciani, emerald web, j.d. emmanuel, vangelis, jean michel jarre, steve roach, emeralds, steve moore, etc etc

Thank you very much! I will check them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch1C1fC9jl4

Orange Rhyming Dictionary by Jets to Brazil is loving amazing, but the band kind of went a different direction with their next two albums and now I'm just craving more of this sound.