Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

nimby posted:

I started a new game and tried loading my old game from there and it worked. Bizarre.

I poked around and found that this is something that is cropping up within the last day or so, people playing the game fine and then all of a sudden it either doesn't load or loads like trash. This happened to me, and I went into Windows Defender and just added the entire Steam folder as an exclusion. That fixed it, for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Best changes include:

Automatic road making
Districts make starting position less dealbreaking
City states and non-culture great people are unique
Eurekas create more planning and less next-turning

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

They're never letting it die.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My American delegate, Alice has learned that Sumeria is trading with.....America.

I would hope so, you put the deal together ALICE

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mondlicht posted:

I poked around and found that this is something that is cropping up within the last day or so, people playing the game fine and then all of a sudden it either doesn't load or loads like trash. This happened to me, and I went into Windows Defender and just added the entire Steam folder as an exclusion. That fixed it, for me.

Same thing happened to me, did the same fix but with just the Civ 6 folder.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Is the adjacency bonus of a district set permanently when you build it? Or can you increase it later if you e.g. build a mine next to your industrial district?
e: nvm it can increase, for some reason I forgot the tooltips often don't update before the next turn.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Polyakov posted:

A second luxury is only good for trading fodder.

This is the opposite of what I've seen reported everywhere else. If you have 8 cities, two copies of Jade should supply Jade to all 8.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As some others have said, there needs to be more of the core unit progression; warrior - swordsmen - musketeer - infantry - mech inf needs some stuff in the middle there. A heavy Infantry between swords and musketeer, or move nitrate onto making Riflemen and put them between muskets and infantry.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Just finished my first game with religious victory as Spain. Honestly kind of a dull victory. As other people have stated here, it's pretty much domination, but with expendable units that have to run everywhere, that you can only buy with a currency that's harder to make than gold. So it just sort of drags on forever. I have a whole bunch of questions after finishing though.

1. Is there a transparent way to keep track of amenities? I know on the report screen, the 3rd tab tells you the status of amenities in all your cities, simply represented by a set of numbers like "3/3". Is there a way where I can click on a city, and see an exact breakdown of the components that make up it's amenity score?

2. Same question as above, but for housing.

3. How do some cities end up with way more citizens than housing? I had cities that were like 9/4 for housing by the end of the game.

4. Has anyone figured out why they hide religious information when you try to convert a city? Normally in the religious map lens (or if you click a religious unit) there are those circle graphs that show you the % of the city for each religion, followed by the exact amount of followers. For some reason when you start converting a city with a missionary or apostle, that circle completely disappears, and all that seems to happen is that the little star that represents the Pantheon changes colors. I have no idea what the colors mean, but I think they are an indicator of how close you are to converting it. Then suddenly out of the blue, you convert the city, the circle graph comes back, and you end up having like 5-6 citizens of your religion. Is the circle not being present during the conversion process a glitch or an intended mechanism? Has anyone figured out what the different colors of the Pantheon star indicate yet?

5. For the purposes of buildings or units that give +Naval Movement, do land units like missionaries count as naval units when they are moving across the sea and have boat icons?

6. Is there any way to get missionaries/apostles to move faster? Can you eventually load them into plains or transport naval units? What's the earliest era you can do something to speed them up?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ahaha, what the gently caress is this:

That's Saladin kindly coming forward to offer me the opportunity to give him a unique luxury and one of my best cities for a whopping 74 gold. What is even the point of the AI making such offers, aside from being a trap for players who hit Accept by reflex just to shut him up. I made sure to nuke his annoying rear end just for that right before getting the hell off this planet.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is the opposite of what I've seen reported everywhere else. If you have 8 cities, two copies of Jade should supply Jade to all 8.

That is a common misconception, and would certainly be more intuitive, but they're trading fodder. From the manual:

Page 50 posted:

LUXURY RESOURCES
Luxury resources provide a small bonus to the hex’s output and increase your civilization’s happiness by providing them amenities when improved. Only one source of a specific luxury provides amenities, shared with the four neediest cities in your empire. For example, if you have 2 Citrus resources improved around your capital, only the first will be providing amenities to your empire. You can choose to trade the second Citrus with another civilization for something else you need, like Gold, or another resource.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Yeah, this is what I've seen from some streamers, and seems consistent with what I experienced in my 16 city game. Some misinformation on that in here.

Of course, the manual makes no specific mention of duplicates so I can't blame anyone. Overall, I find the amenity system is better than happiness in Civ 5, but also more obscure and poorly explained.

E: Well poo poo the post above tells me I'm wrong? Again I'll blame the manual because the section on amenities didn't mention it at all.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Staltran posted:

That is a common misconception, and would certainly be more intuitive, but they're trading fodder. From the manual:

This certainly explains why A: the AI keeps asking for my extra luxuries and B: Why I was having so many amenity problems during Gilgamesh and Enkidu's world tour

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a reason my archaeologist would disappear?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jastiger posted:

Is there a reason my archaeologist would disappear?

Using up his three artifact extractions

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

quadrophrenic posted:

also man, i don't wanna be anti-canadasist here, but the culture and history of brazil seems a lot... idk, richer than canadian history?

:agreed::canada:

quadrophrenic posted:

plus, what would even be their deal.

There are lots of fun things you can do. Give them super cheap tile purchases, or let them claim more land with trade routes in reference to the CPR. Give them bonuses for friend decs, or liberation wars. Something with naturalists or national parks. It's certainly doable.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Is there any way to tell the game to prioritize certain cities with luxury goods? I'd prefer to have my city doing most of my science victory projects not be at -3 amenities when I have pretty much every luxury resource available in the world, either by mining it myself or through trading.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Can anyone explain passive relgion push to me? For some reason I have coastal cities that show that they are pushing hard for the religion across the sea despite the fact that they are immediately surrounded by several cities of my religion.

I have all kinds of +spread bonuses too so its not that they are just outpacing me

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Kanfy posted:

Don't quote me on this because I'm not at all certain, but I think scouts get experience from visiting tribal villages.

Yeah, you can read them in the game setup menu by mouseovering the eras in the era selection.

And finding natural wonders.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

IcePhoenix posted:

Using up his three artifact extractions

I swear i looked to see if he had a limit. Thanks.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Jastiger posted:

Pretty sure it's not your fault anyway. The first archaeologist I produced had a charge count just like a builder, but the second one didn't have a counter for some unfathomable reason.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Overall I'm optimistic about this version of civ. It's clear that the systems in place all work as game design concepts but may just need tweaking. (Except boosts. It feels like boosts might be broken.)

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Got up to turn 200 as Saladin before I got overwhelmed and felt the need to restart my game. Couple of mistakes I need help with that I want to improve upon in my next game. My thought below.

quote:

• Don’t Bankrupt myself with a war
o I was barely able to secure a peace with Greece when I was one turn away from Bankruptcy.
• Build my Campuses and other sites more intelligently.
o I wasn’t able to build Oxford University for some drat reason despite having open tiles next to my Campus so I need to look into that.
• Expand wide more aggressively.
o I had to begin a lot of wars with Greece because they were settling in between the gaps of my Cities.
• Learn how to manage food properly.
o My main city was about -10 turns from starvation at around 7 population.
o I really think I did a poor job building my city it was near a harbor.
• Learn how to properly do war in Modern Era.
o Walls become an extreme problem for me and I wasn’t able to siege a city with only 1 Citizen.
o I probably need battery rams.
• Learn the ins and outs of religion, Gandhi was nuking my cities with his faith the entire game.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
By the time walls become a big problem you start getting bombards, and bombards are the best

It's almost too easy to level an entire continent with just a couple of bombards and an observation balloon

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

When you google "Chichen Itza quote", IslaDeb's travel blog is the 7th result.

When you google "Kilimanjaro quote", Nancy Bonds' article is the 9th result.

In sum: :rolleyes:

I know it's a weird thing to get bummed out about, but I am super bummed out about the quotes in this game :( I always really liked that the Civ games weren't afraid to go to literature, criticism or philosophy for reference points (since it's not exactly widespread in games) and it always felt like an impressive depth of research went into choosing some of the quotes. I didn't think the technology/civic ones were too bad, on the whole, but most of them were nowhere near as elegant as their Civ V counterparts - for a lot of them I got the distinct impression that somebody had googled '(tech name here) famous quote' rather than having the baseline interest in history to make those connections and pick out fitting quotes themselves. I couldn't help but notice that Churchill and Mark Twain seemed over-represented, which makes me wonder if they were lifted from a 12 Badass Winston Churchill Quotes That Will Totally Make You LMAO (Don't Miss Number 8) listicle somewhere. But the wonder ones were particularly disappointing, especially since there seems to have been a directive that the quotes had to specifically be about the wonder in question.

Like, compare and contrast the Civ 6 quotes for Chichen Itza, the Terracotta Army, the Mahabodhi Temple (taken from a literal visitor's guide ffs), Stonehenge (Bill Bryson isn't funny), the Forbidden City and the Sydney Opera House with:

quote:

The katun is established at Chichen Itza. The settlement of the Itza shall take place there. The quetzal shall come, the green bird shall come. Ah Kantenal shall come. It is the word of God. The Itza shall come.

quote:

Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.

quote:

When you realize how perfect everything is, you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.

quote:

Time crumbles things; everything grows old and is forgotten under the power of time.

quote:

Most of us can, as we choose, make of this world either a palace or a prison.

quote:

Those who lose dreaming are lost.

Also, the Adam Ferguson quote for the Ruhr Valley is a bit :psyduck: since it's specifically about how impoverished and unproductive the Ruhr was during the blockade of Germany, but maybe I'm just frustrated they picked that right-wing shithead for video game immortality.

It's all a particular shame since Sean Bean is a fantastic narrator :(

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

do any of you play this game without trying to break its systems over your knee? i dunno how you have fun like that but to each their own

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The vitriol for the quotes is intense.

Efexeye posted:

do any of you play this game without trying to break its systems over your knee? i dunno how you have fun like that but to each their own

I do this, but I don't complain about it later :v:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Efexeye posted:

yeah

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Efexeye posted:

I have a compulsive need to learn, and improve at everything I do in life. It's not fun, no.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Gato posted:

I know it's a weird thing to get bummed out about, but I am super bummed out about the quotes in this game :( I always really liked that the Civ games weren't afraid to go to literature, criticism or philosophy for reference points (since it's not exactly widespread in games) and it always felt like an impressive depth of research went into choosing some of the quotes. I didn't think the technology/civic ones were too bad, on the whole, but most of them were nowhere near as elegant as their Civ V counterparts - for a lot of them I got the distinct impression that somebody had googled '(tech name here) famous quote' rather than having the baseline interest in history to make those connections and pick out fitting quotes themselves. I couldn't help but notice that Churchill and Mark Twain seemed over-represented, which makes me wonder if they were lifted from a 12 Badass Winston Churchill Quotes That Will Totally Make You LMAO (Don't Miss Number 8) listicle somewhere. But the wonder ones were particularly disappointing, especially since there seems to have been a directive that the quotes had to specifically be about the wonder in question.

Like, compare and contrast the Civ 6 quotes for Chichen Itza, the Terracotta Army, the Mahabodhi Temple (taken from a literal visitor's guide ffs), Stonehenge (Bill Bryson isn't funny), the Forbidden City and the Sydney Opera House with:

Chichen Itza and Mahabodhi were the ones I was thinking of. The Ruhr one was also weird. It's not a big deal since the gameplay's solid and Paradox games fill the "immersion in real history" niche pretty well for me anyway, I do find it a bit funny though since I got contacted by 2k Games a week or so before release (along with the rest of my department) asking for historians who could be interviewed about how great the game's approach to history is. Er, yeah, no.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I watched a couple streams to get a general idea who the new stuff worked, but I don't research optimal ways to do stuff and aim to break anything. In my Rome game I am way ahead of everyone else through just playing normally with very little actual planning.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Efexeye posted:

Many people do play these games while sober and over the age of 12, yes.

Otherwise I guess maybe you'd miss this kind of obvious stuff?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
As far as complaining about game-breaking exploits goes, worth remembering that exploits are an unavoidable problem if you're on multiplayer and make the game p. unfun.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Efexeye posted:

Stop being an insecure goober.

Most people try to get better at videogames they play. People carry that basic urge varying distances.

Some people will play Scythia and abuse their broke rear end poo poo to the utmost. Others will view that as a bridge too far and simply try to get better at playing "normal" Civs. There are any number of perceptions between and around these arbitrary examples I have chosen.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Megasabin posted:

3. How do some cities end up with way more citizens than housing? I had cities that were like 9/4 for housing by the end of the game.

There are policies that increase housing. Guessing you had the policy in place, grew the city, then swapped it out. Also you could have removed farms too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jastiger posted:

Zomborgon posted:

Pretty sure it's not your fault anyway. The first archaeologist I produced had a charge count just like a builder, but the second one didn't have a counter for some unfathomable reason.

They don't have charges. They fill the three slots in the museum in the city they were built (and you can't move artifacts until the museum is full). That's why you can't make two of them in the same town too.

Basically their charges are based on how badly they feel that something should be in a museum

Bubbacub posted:

There are policies that increase housing. Guessing you had the policy in place, grew the city, then swapped it out. Also you could have removed farms too.

Housing isn't a hard limit, you just drop to 25% of your food counting once you are at the cap (and to 50% when you are one short of the cap). Cities will still grow, just very slowly.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Stop being an insecure goober.

i dunno how you got 'insecure' out of that but there is a definitely a high amount of neckbearded ostensibly high minded review-type proclamations in this thread about how the intricate systems don't work exactly perfectly or how rules are obscure or how leaders flip flop between turns (all of which have been happening for the 20 years that Civ has been A Thing)

a few of you sound like the guys who come over to play a new board game that the host spent 7 hours interpreting rules for and bitching that they have to check the manual sometimes

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Efexeye posted:

i dunno how you got 'insecure' out of that but there is a definitely a high amount of neckbearded ostensibly high minded review-type proclamations in this thread about how the intricate systems don't work exactly perfectly or how rules are obscure or how leaders flip flop between turns (all of which have been happening for the 20 years that Civ has been A Thing)

a few of you sound like the guys who come over to play a new board game that the host spent 7 hours interpreting rules for and bitching that they have to check the manual sometimes

You're implicitly telling people they're having fun wrong. That's insecure weirdo behavior, even if you tried to couch it in "I'm not saying I'm just saying" terminology.

I term it insecure because it's the kind of posting that typically comes from people who come to these threads first and foremost to have their views reinforced through likeminded posting, rather than to discuss anything.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Why's there no raging barbarians option? Kinda underwhelmed so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i didn't say it was wrong, i just think it's funny that for a big percentage of civ players, trying to show how broken it is by exploiting the systems IS the game