Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Using up his three artifact extractions
I'm fairly sure they don't have charges, they just keep going until their museum is filled. Archaeologists are kind of an extension of a specific museum it seems.

At least, when I played as England I could get 6 artifacts with a single archaeologist. It was kind of fun planning their paths of looting around the world, knowing they'd last so long. Though oddly it seems England can build two archaeologists per museum. I don't see why you would want to though, unless you were really desperate to get artifacts fast.

Speaking of archaeologists and England... England seems to get a theming bonus simply for filling up their museum with any old crap, regardless of origin or era. Is that how it works for everyone? I thought you needed some specific requirements from what I remember seeing in the prerelease streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Eiba posted:

Speaking of archaeologists and England... England seems to get a theming bonus simply for filling up their museum with any old crap, regardless of origin or era. Is that how it works for everyone? I thought you needed some specific requirements from what I remember seeing in the prerelease streams.

That's explicitly part of the ability of British Museum.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Azhais posted:

They don't have charges. They fill the three slots in the museum in the city they were built (and you can't move artifacts until the museum is full). That's why you can't make two of them in the same town too.

Basically their charges are based on how badly they feel that something should be in a museum

Ah, then my mind is playing tricks, and that's a fantastic way to put it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

should be interesting to see how they fit the idea of districts into the next iteration of the board game

(don't play the civ board games)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Play Through The Ages instead it's great.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais posted:

They don't have charges. They fill the three slots in the museum in the city they were built (and you can't move artifacts until the museum is full). That's why you can't make two of them in the same town too.

Basically their charges are based on how badly they feel that something should be in a museum

Housing isn't a hard limit, you just drop to 25% of your food counting once you are at the cap (and to 50% when you are one short of the cap). Cities will still grow, just very slowly.

Thanks for this explanation.

Also lol if you arent naming features in your national park with the pin feature. The mountains outside of Boston are named after my kids, Mount Sherman and Mount North.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Impermanent posted:

Play Through The Ages instead it's great.

:agreed:

Played it a few weeks ago, pretty great and doesn't take as long as Civ but has a lot of the same mechanics in an abstract sense (though waiting for turns can be a bit of a drag when everyone's learning the game).

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Weird bug, started a game as Egypt and started running into other Civs and now I have both threatened and declared war on my self. It happens like a normal denouncement and war, but it loads up Cleopatra (who I am playing as) and does it, I'm not sure if the game is bugging out thinking its loading some other leader or what.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

look at it LOOK AT IT

it is exactly as ballbusting as you'd think and takes a good 6-8 hours to play

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What does the Marble bonus do? Looked it up in civpedia and it's supposed to give +4 amenities, 1 in each city? Does that mean that it gets spread in the rest of your empire and not just the city that's using the quarry?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

PirateBob posted:

What does the Marble bonus do? Looked it up in civpedia and it's supposed to give +4 amenities, 1 in each city? Does that mean that it gets spread in the rest of your empire and not just the city that's using the quarry?

That's all luxuries. Luxuries provide Amenities to four cities. Amenities are basically just Local Happiness.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Efexeye posted:

how the intricate systems don't work exactly perfectly

See this is why you are a douchebag. You using the same level of hyperbole that you accuse whining nerds of displaying.

Large, obvious, and numerous exploits go way beyond "not working perfectly" and you know it. Yeah, if someone says the game is broken they are exaggerating. But it has big problems that any 4x gamer is right to take issue with.

You compare them to fussy board game players. Would you want to play a board game whose mechanics were so full of exploits that they require multiple sweeping house rules just to give the game any integrity?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Gato posted:

I know it's a weird thing to get bummed out about, but I am super bummed out about the quotes in this game :( I always really liked that the Civ games weren't afraid to go to literature, criticism or philosophy for reference points (since it's not exactly widespread in games) and it always felt like an impressive depth of research went into choosing some of the quotes. I didn't think the technology/civic ones were too bad, on the whole, but most of them were nowhere near as elegant as their Civ V counterparts - for a lot of them I got the distinct impression that somebody had googled '(tech name here) famous quote' rather than having the baseline interest in history to make those connections and pick out fitting quotes themselves. I couldn't help but notice that Churchill and Mark Twain seemed over-represented, which makes me wonder if they were lifted from a 12 Badass Winston Churchill Quotes That Will Totally Make You LMAO (Don't Miss Number 8) listicle somewhere. But the wonder ones were particularly disappointing, especially since there seems to have been a directive that the quotes had to specifically be about the wonder in question.

Yeah Civ 6 is really lacking in the "sense of majesty" department.

Here's an imgur album of all the Civ 5 wonders and the accompanying quote/narration.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Scythia is really broken, I might try an immortal game with them to see how I do

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Largely that it makes decisions more meaningful, you really gotta commit to everything and losing a unit on Marathon is a much bigger deal than losing one on Quick. Plus it's very relaxing.

I only ever play these games on Epic and Marathon, even Normal has always felt so fast that I haven't enjoyed it at all.

Are you an Ent?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If you just want to win, you might as well go :siren:ULTIMATE BROKEN STRATEGY:siren:

Duel against Kongo with only Religious Victory enabled.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Efexeye posted:

i dunno how you got 'insecure' out of that but there is a definitely a high amount of neckbearded ostensibly high minded review-type proclamations in this thread about how the intricate systems don't work exactly perfectly or how rules are obscure or how leaders flip flop between turns (all of which have been happening for the 20 years that Civ has been A Thing)

a few of you sound like the guys who come over to play a new board game that the host spent 7 hours interpreting rules for and bitching that they have to check the manual sometimes

If those elements worked properly, the game would be more accessible for new players, because the systems would work accrding to intuitive principles, rather than on arbitrary rules and modifiers that require some level of grognard dedication to monitor and memorize.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Brannock posted:

Here's an imgur album of all the Civ 5 wonders and the accompanying quote/narration.

Yeah, they put some thought into these and it was good. You wouldn't find the quote from Muhammad for the Kremlin by Googling "Kremlin quotes" but it fits perfectly. Ah well.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Gort posted:

If you just want to win, you might as well go :siren:ULTIMATE BROKEN STRATEGY:siren:

Duel against Kongo with only Religious Victory enabled.

one turn game as Peter

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

If those elements worked properly, the game would be more accessible for new players, because the systems would work accrding to intuitive principles, rather than on arbitrary rules and modifiers that require some level of grognard dedication to monitor and memorize.

come on

the game is largely okay, and especially for a civ release. Some of these point-by-point breakdowns make it sound like a broken piece of poo poo and it isnt

3,4, and 5 were all in much worse shape when they launched

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Does anyone know how you use Sea Dogs to capture units? Does it not work on Barbs?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

What is up with early game barbarian horsemen appearing out of nowhere? I've played games where I've chased off scouts and gone to clear camps happily, then another game I wander a scout south of my city and suddenly he's surrounded by two horsemen and a horse archer... Is there some "uprising" mechanic I'm not aware of, or did I accidentally select deity?

I remember Civ IV used to do this and it was great because the Huns would rise up and you'd pray they weren't coming for you.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Efexeye posted:

Some of these point-by-point breakdowns make it sound like a broken piece of poo poo and it isnt

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm at war in the end game trying to squash a couple bugs and also fend off someone that's vaguely a threat to me, but every time I move to take over a city (deliver the "killing" blow) my game crashes. Was really hoping to finish off my domination victory tonight but not being able to take cities is a slight deterrent to this.

:colbert:

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I remember being really disappointed in the civ 5 quotes after civ 4(along with everything else). Maybe they have to settle for progressively worse quotes for each new game as they already used up all the best quotes

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yeah that certainly does suck. i feel for ya man, i got no defense on bugs

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Brannock posted:

I was hoping someone had made a video and did a search on YouTube. Gotta hear that voice.

Civilization 5 All Wonders / Wonder Quotes with Gods and Kings and Brave New World

:circlefap:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The Ballad of John Henry for Steel was also really good.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

As much as I love Sean Bean, and while he mostly does a fine job, sometimes I feel the intonation (or something else) is off. Like with Stonehenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-3ybDInMtY&t=343s

The joke kind of falls flat because he doesn't quite stress the "and then we can party!" enough, as if this was recorded at the end of a long day and he's tired. Maybe that's just my impression, though.

Then there's the obvious gripes that are already discussed a lot in this thread, to which I don't really have anything to add. Luckily most of them seem relatively easily fixed, but it's definitely a shame the quotes are sometimes lacklustre, because those are pretty much set in stone. Oh well, still a great game that will only improve.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Brannock posted:

Especially because a number of the tech quotes poo poo all over the tech you just discovered.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'd love an option to put the UI on a second monitor like supreme commander because all joking around aside, the UI is really bad this time out. my only real gripe as a filthy casual

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Phanatic posted:

Especially because a number of the tech quotes poo poo all over the tech you just discovered.

SMAC was good tho?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
You don't even need to exploit the game, because the tactical AI is still such poo poo that things like "building an archer" or "defending yourself" are exploits. Even when they sneak attack in force all they can do is mill around and get slaughtered while you pick them off with a single archer, giving you time to build a new army from scratch if needed.

Also tech or the turn timer is all messed up, because I've started a game on Emperor, and have started building factories in like 1050 AD, just shortly after getting my first campuses online. I always play fast and loose and avoid exploits, so either the game is too easy here, or the AI is terrible at some of the very basic city optimization you can do.

I'm having fun, bit the AI is so dire I'll probably just play a couple games and put it down for a while.

EDIT: Firaxis should be ashamed of themselves for the quote writing. Utterly indefensible.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

On min maxing talk earlier - If you're playing on a higher difficulty, you have to try to play optimally if you want to compete. That's just the name of the game. If you don't find that fun then you can piddle around on Prince, but I find that to be mind numbingly boring. No shame in starting out on lower difficulties of course.

Where I draw the line is scamming and abusing the AI or exploits. That's just lame.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

What's the best place to build my industrial zone here? I put it where I'm going to have 3 mines adjacent, because as far as I know adjacent districts will only give +0.5 each?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

PirateBob posted:

I was hoping someone had made a video and did a search on YouTube. Gotta hear that voice.

Civilization 5 All Wonders / Wonder Quotes with Gods and Kings and Brave New World

:circlefap:

Everyone always brings up how good Chichen Itza is in Civ V, but The Pyramids is great, too, they quote an actual Egyptian historical source.

Petra has a joke quote but they use jokes sparingly and that one is good because it's probably the classic way everyone who knew about Petra learned about it. Also it actually sounds like all their other profound quotes until you read the attribution, making it a good joke.

What does Civ 6 have, let's see... oh, it has a quote from the classic Travel Through Jordan Day One Travel Guide

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah there's a couple other joke quotes in V but they're sparing and typically actually funny. It's funny how I don't know half the early wonders but know basically all of the late ones because by that time you're so far ahead you can just grab them all.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PirateBob posted:

What's the best place to build my industrial zone here? I put it where I'm going to have 3 mines adjacent, because as far as I know adjacent districts will only give +0.5 each?

Seems reasonable, you'd have to surround it by 6 districts to get the same benefit (and nothing stops you from doing that on the other sides anyway.

Not that it matters, you started building it. No force other than save scumming will move it

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i kind of like the compromise between wonder movies and static art of showing the models build on the district tile.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Does anybody know specifically what happens to great works and the like if you trade for them but don't have enough slots? Kongo was trying to make peace with me and offering like 10+ great works but I didn't have room for any of them. Are they put on a standby of sorts until you have slots or are they simply lost to the ether?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

PirateBob posted:

The grassland between the Quarry and the Copper mine is the best place (+3 adjacency) (edit: whoops, I mean just as good). Check to see if your other two cities below it are within 6, though. That's one of the most important placement criteria for IZs. For instance, It's worth losing +1 adjacency to move it one tile south-east if it gets another city in range.