Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Boco_T posted:

Bruse Tarl

Sounds exactly like the kind of names roborosewater comes up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Toshimo posted:

lol this is actually a cool concept, but instead you just jam it with a boros partner you never plan to cast just so you can get access to more cards.

I believe the term for this is "Getting Nagled".

No that only happens when a card that says "exile all graveyards, exile all cards that would go to the graveyard" gets printed.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

"exile all graveyards"

Unless the player forgets to loudly and explicitly declare this happens even if it is being resolved.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Toshimo posted:

lol this is actually a cool concept, but instead you just jam it with a boros partner you never plan to cast just so you can get access to more cards.

I believe the term for this is "Getting Nagled".

um, don't you jam it with an orzhov partner so you get black cards instead

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I am totally running Atraxa in superfriends, 4 colors makes my mana base easier and I'm not super fond of the reds as it is and proliferate just makes it that much better.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

socialsecurity posted:

I am totally running Atraxa in superfriends, 4 colors makes my mana base easier and I'm not super fond of the reds as it is and proliferate just makes it that much better.

Probably made exactly for this reason.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

lolrandom amirite

can;t wait for this wgrb randomness deck

e: also this guy is the worst vial smasher, how is he smashing aether vials

Elyv fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 24, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

lolrandom amirite

It's too bad Goblins doesn't really want to dome people out because that would really give some inevitability after getting Vialed in

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

lolrandom amirite

e: also this guy is the worst vial smasher, how is he smashing aether vials

I miss Ankle Shanker.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Toshimo posted:

I saw the non-commander cards and got excited. Then I saw the commanders and I remembered which shitbirds were in charge of this.

Thanks, Sheldon, for always being trash.

What does Sheldon have to do with the designs of these cards?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Elyv posted:

lolrandom amirite

This guy is kinda funny in legacy when you're delving Gurmag Anglers.

I think this guy would show up some in legacy if we still had Dig.

It's each turn, too, so you'd get to nuke them for 5 when you FOW their goyf next turn.

I think it's still interesting. The body isn't great and grixis doesn't have a lot of flex slots but 1BR+B to hit the opponent for 7 and get two creatures out of it is not terrible.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

80s James Hetfield posted:

It's cool how they keep making RW Legendary's that loving suck.

This fits into RW commander decks because they frequently focus on getting a shitton of combat damage through with double strike, multiple combat phases, etc. I like him in my Aurelia deck that I never play...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

By the way, I feel like Atraxa has a super outside chance of legacy playability because a 4 mana 4/4 vigilant lifelinking flier is a thing. The problem is that the decks it's most a thing against are aggressiveish decks that attack your mana base, like D&T or Delver, and therefore casting a 4 color 4 cost midrange durdle seems hard.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm indifferent to the 2016 Commander decks being four-color decks, but I imagine that all I'd do if I played the format is ask myself why I'm not just playing a five-color commander instead. It seems like the legendary creatures with the partner ability are a concession by Wizards that four-color cards are just unwieldy.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Elyv posted:

By the way, I feel like Atraxa has a super outside chance of legacy playability because a 4 mana 4/4 vigilant lifelinking flier is a thing. The problem is that the decks it's most a thing against are aggressiveish decks that attack your mana base, like D&T or Delver, and therefore casting a 4 color 4 cost midrange durdle seems hard.

There are stoneblade variants that splash green for decay and life activations off their deathrite but they're never asking for 4 colors at once. You're pretty much guaranteed blue mana, one other mana color, and usually a third at any given time, but getting 3 different colors of mana for 1 spell is hard and 4 is gonna be near impossible.

I agree its huge if you can land it but despite being efficiently costed its in that awkward spot of too expensive to cast and too cheap to reanimate (Sphinx of the Steel Wind is pretty much the same card at that point but better.

Star Man posted:

I'm indifferent to the 2016 Commander decks being four-color decks, but I imagine that all I'd do if I played the format is ask myself why I'm not just playing a five-color commander instead. It seems like the legendary creatures with the partner ability are a concession by Wizards that four-color cards are just unwieldy.

I think the appeal is that not being 5 color puts limits on the deck and keeps you from just running the same 80 5 color best cards, 19 flavor cards, and whatever rando 5 color general you want (since they're all kinda crap or slivers).

If you're not just playing bad cards to play bad cards, 5 4 color decks is more varied than 5 5 color decks.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 24, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sidar reads really weirdly to me. The partner mechanic is a cool way to make 4 color decks but the generals don't seem very impressive.

No seriously what the gently caress is going on with Sidar. It basically gives your guys flying in a really confusing way and has another random form of evasion stapled on :psyduck:
Every time I read that second ability my blood pressure rises by a few mmHg. How anyone read that tortured sentence and decided "yes, I will print this on a card" is beyond me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

how often does any 4 color deck actually have all 4 colors available simultaneously in legacy (the answer is super rarely)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i think sidar's second ability came about cuz they are so hellbent on never giving green flying that they make up weird as hell abilities to get around it

like orchard dryad

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Sidar is neat because he lets your friend's token deck ruin your other friend's poo poo while Sidar just sits there on his horse.

I had to read it a second time after everyone was bitching to see what was so confusing and I had missed that it gave ALL critters that ability and didn't just make your guys unblockable, so I agree its a bit awkwardly worded but it isn't that bad.

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

Sidar reads really weirdly to me. The partner mechanic is a cool way to make 4 color decks but the generals don't seem very impressive.

No seriously what the gently caress is going on with Sidar. It basically gives your guys flying in a really confusing way and has another random form of evasion stapled on :psyduck:

horsemanshit

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

how often does any 4 color deck actually have all 4 colors available simultaneously in legacy (the answer is super rarely)

It's actually not hard in many matchups. The problem is that it's hard against the decks you would actually want this card against. Basically, the cmc is reasonable, the mana cost isn't. That's why I said "super outside".

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

You guys can't block dudes with power 2 or less unless the blocking dude you want to block with has Flying or Reach.

God, that doesn't read well.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This commander set feels like the most Legends set since...Legends

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sidar Kondo effectively says "creatures you control with power 2 or less have flying." The reason he does not literally say this is because that line of text literally does not function in the game rules due to how layers work.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

"Whenever a creature with power 2 or less attacks an opponent, it gains flying" is basically the same thing, right? I guess that's better with some triggers like Exalted. This actually seems like a pretty neat card to me. You can output a lot of damage with delve cards and other things so it's an interesting build-around. It's a shame they tacked on randomness to gimp it in Commander.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 24, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Sidar Kondo effectively says "creatures you control with power 2 or less have flying." The reason he does not literally say this is because that line of text literally does not function in the game rules due to how layers work.

It doesn't even say that.

Because the affect applies to all creatures with power 2 or less, not just yours, unless they're attacking you.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

It doesn't even say that.

Because the affect applies to all creatures with power 2 or less, not just yours, unless they're attacking you.

Ok, fine. Point still applies. That simple line of text that's instantly grokkable makes the rules poo poo themselves.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Why not? Gliding sliver basically says the same thing without the power 2 or less.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

"Whenever a creature with power 2 or less attacks an opponent, it gains flying" is basically the same thing, right? I guess that's better with some triggers like Exalted.
This actually seems like a pretty neat card to me. You can output a lot of damage with delve cards and other things so it's an interesting build-around. It's a shame they tacked on randomness to gimp it in Commander.

If it had that, you could partner with a green commander and run every mass flying hoser to make a janky but amusingly interesting deck, and we can't have that.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Why not? Gliding sliver basically says the same thing without the power 2 or less.

Gliding sliver depends on a creature type, which both is harder to manipulate and applies on layer 4. Power/toughness manipulation, which is really easy to do, happens on layer 7. Granting keywords happens on layer 6.

If it existed the way you propose it, A bear with an elesh norn in play would be a 4/4 flier and/or make MODO detonate.

Also it doesn't say creatures you control.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 24, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

where are the random wall-related cards and enchantments with 50 lines of rules text

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

i'm waiting for the five mana, 2/2 with tap: add a red

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Now here's a cost reduction mechanic we hope you'll really like.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

No Trample No Play.

"Whenever a creature with power 2 or less attacks an opponent, it gains flying" is basically the same thing, right? I guess that's better with some triggers like Exalted.
This actually seems like a pretty neat card to me. You can output a lot of damage with delve cards and other things so it's an interesting build-around. It's a shame they tacked on randomness to gimp it in Commander.

I feel like that actually benefits it in commander because the randomness excuses the owner from the damage they deal and keeps you from pissing people off as much because the winning/almost dead/whatever vulnerable player doesn't feel like they're immediately going to be a target, and that it might instead benefit them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Funny both in and against tokens.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

You should probably review the cards in Legends before making that claim.

http://tinyurl.com/zg3l5ry

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

You should probably review the cards in Legends before making that claim.

http://tinyurl.com/zg3l5ry

Compare the design of the Legends in that set to the commanders here and you might get what I mean.

Hint: the Legends legends were a bunch of people's DnD OCs

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

And these legends aren't even half as metal sounding either. :saddowns:

But yeah, this stuff is incredibly lame so far.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Compare the design of the Legends in that set to the commanders here and you might get what I mean.

not really seeing it

E: Edited quote for clarity

Elyv fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 24, 2016

• Locked thread