Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

If you copy the files from your work PC onto your home PC then you should be able to just point your Battle.net app to the files and then you're set. It might reset your options or something but otherwise it shold be fine.

Cool thanks! I've never played before so nothing like that should be a problem! Thanks again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Why not make Symm's shield a flat 17% health increase?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

soloqueue.jpg

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Efexeye posted:

soloqueue.jpg

Solo queue is actually probably easier to climb in that teaming up because it will at least theoretically be matching you with equally skilled people rather than your friends who might be significantly better/worse than you. Unless you have a team you can trust you're probably better off soloing.

Solo to get that sweet e-peen, team up to enjoy more.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It'd have to be a passive that only gives you some arbitrarily small amount of shields only when you're next to her, or we'd have the same issue we had before they merged it.

They could just give her a speed boost pad.

i wonder if a jump pad to get people up to weird high ground would be good or interesting at all. Maybe they could give her a construct gives people bonus shields in an aoe around it? It's the same idea as her E now except it actually has some counterplay and she's able to support a point instead of being a utility dps like she is now.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

no solo queue is awful

you cannot carry a team in this game, 1 player who isn't trying or loving around might as well be everyone on your team losing their left mouse button

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Efexeye posted:

no solo queue is awful

you cannot carry a team in this game, 1 player who isn't trying or loving around might as well be everyone on your team losing their left mouse button

this is objectively incorrect and has been disproven multiple times in this very thread

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why not make Symm's shield a flat 17% health increase?

Because the health bar can only display multiples of 25.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

terrified of my bathroom posted:

this is objectively incorrect and has been disproven multiple times in this very thread

i've paired up with several goon teams that were 500 SR higher than me to the tune of 'we'll just carry you up to 2k here tonight, no problem, should be easy' and then proceed to win less than 50% of the games so what's that about

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
2k players are not good enough to carry themselves let alone anyone else

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Efexeye posted:

i've paired up with several goon teams that were 500 SR higher than me to the tune of 'we'll just carry you up to 2k here tonight, no problem, should be easy' and then proceed to win less than 50% of the games so what's that about

have you considered that you might've been holding them back

theres a goon in this thread that carried an sr 500 account to mid-diamond playing only symmetra and a sr 1500 account to master using only lucio and ana. i personally climbed from 2.1k to 2.6k just by improving my positioning and dying less on lucio. if you're consistently hitting more shots and dying less than the players around you, you will climb; if you're not hitting more shots or having better positioning than the players at your level, you belong there.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Efexeye posted:

Sounds like goon teams are terrible.

I managed to carry myself from 2400 to 3100 by slam picking Zenyatta and murdering everybody just fine after I hosed up my placement matches.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 24, 2016

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

terrified of my bathroom posted:

have you considered that you might've been holding them back

theres a goon in this thread that carried an sr 500 account to mid-diamond playing only symmetra and a sr 1500 account to master using only lucio and ana. i personally climbed from 2.1k to 2.6k just by improving my positioning and dying less on lucio. if you're consistently hitting more shots and dying less than the players around you, you will climb; if you're not hitting more shots or having better positioning than the players at your level, you belong there.

you just said that one person can't affect the team

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Efexeye posted:

you just said that one person can't affect the team

i said literally the exact opposite of that my dude. you said you can't carry a team as a solo player and im telling you that objectively, you can

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
and before you go all :goonsay: "i always get terrible players on my team my lovely teams are holding me back" you need to remember that if you're not a terrible player, their team has the potential for 6 terrible players and yours only has the potential for 5. probability says you'll win more than you lose, unless of course you're actually the terrible player on your team

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Efexeye posted:

If you're below 2k, you're in hanjo tier, and if you're in hanjo tier and they're sub 2500 then no poo poo they couldn't carry you. If you belong down there then it's not your team letting you down that's keeping you down there. Also solo queue is probably actually going to be more effective, since most goon groups don't actually communicate well and you'll be playing against people who probably will communicate well, or at least better.

Steps to climb comp: learn to aim, learn to shrug off toxicity without tilting, learn to mute people, and learn where you should be to be effective. Your team is irrelevant at that low a rating, and if you work on yourself then you're statistically much more likely to climb because you guarantee at least one person on your team won't suck versus the possibility that all of them will.

If you find a goon group you like, play together with them a lot more. You'll learn to communicate better over time and then you'll probably climb with them, but just grabbing a group randomly won't cut it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

no, i fully admit that im terrible. but when you're in the 1500s and every game involves a useless slampicking genji or hanzo or widow or offensive torb, it makes it harder- i shouldn't be getting gold elims as lucio 4/5 games as I am now

i also disagree about ignoring the team. team comp is more important than individual skill, in poo poo tier, anyway

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Efexeye posted:

no, i fully admit that im terrible. but when you're in the 1500s and every game involves a useless slampicking genji or hanzo or widow or offensive torb, it makes it harder- i shouldn't be getting gold elims as lucio 4/5 games as I am now

i also disagree about ignoring the team. team comp is more important than individual skill, in poo poo tier, anyway

The enemy team also those same useless players. If you are more skilled than the other players in your bracket you will, on average, win more often.

Lucio also probably isn't a good choice if you want to carry games since Lucio needs the other players to do the killing.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 24, 2016

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Andrast posted:

The enemy team also those same useless players. If you are more skilled than the other players in your bracket you will, on average, win more often.

well that SR bar i posted represents gains but there seems to be a ceiling, i will start losing lots of matches now if the past is any guide

Andrast posted:

Lucio probably isn't a good choice if you want to carry games since Lucio needs other other players to do the killing.

if i dont pick lucio 80% of the time the only healer is Ana :/

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Efexeye posted:

their team will also have those players. if you're better than them, you will climb. if not, you'll stay where you are. its very simple

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Efexeye posted:

if i dont pick lucio 80% of the time the only healer is Ana :/

If you still feel you need to play support, try Zenyatta. Zen is by far the best support for carrying idiots since he's also a damage dealer in disguise.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Andrast posted:

If you still feel you need to play support, try Zenyatta. Zen by far the best support for carrying idiots since he's also a damage dealer in disguise.

my 2nd choice is always zen. gold balls plus skullyatta owns

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Efexeye posted:

team comp is more important than individual skill, in poo poo tier, anyway

This is the exact opposite of true, actually. Team comp matters less the farther down you go. You can carry games as sym/torb sub 2k.

Like, I played my placement matches with team hanjo and got placed at something like 1300, and when I played comp I couldn't help but win because I just didn't die and killed the occasional person, and I was trying to lose so I could team hanjo again. I unwillingly got to 1500 and gave up because you need an iron will to commit to losing that much.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Play other heroes. Lucio is really very lackluster at low skill because it takes brains to use your auras and abilities well and your teammates sure as hell won't capitalize on a good speed boost or sound barrier. Use Zen mercy or Ana because at least that way you can do things yourself instead of being a permanent heal aura with little actual impact other than keeping your teammates alive just a little longer

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i 'mained' mercy last comp season and man....that did not go well

the SR bar i posted is basically 95% zenyatta and 5% lucio. i mainly posted it to show how easy it is to lose SR and how hard it is to get it back

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Being able to scrape your entire team off the ground will do wonders, because then your team will basically get two lives for the enemy team's one.

At the same time, when you're that low, you'll be best off picking someone to just kill people. Negating incoming damage by clicking heads will do more than negating it by hoping your team kills people, even if your only healer is ana.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
even at low plat i get teams that have no idea speed boost is a thing. i cry a little every time we push back the defenders a little bit and i speed boost us through a choke only to find that our rein has planted himself dick first in the choke unmoving and half the team won't push up without him

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Playing Mercy on those ranks has to be really relaxing since all of the flankers on the enemy team are bound to be godawful.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Andrast posted:

Playing Mercy on those ranks has to be really relaxing since all of the flankers on the enemy team are bound to be godawful.

ehhhhhh, more like desperately trying to pogo stick around on the cart so you can get LOS to the pharah that's sniping from the window on kings row

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

"hey guys i can't carry my team with mercy or lucio"

No! I'm shocked. Really, I am.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Efexeye posted:

no solo queue is awful

That's just not true....... I'm 100% certain I could carry out of your elo no problem.

If you feel ineffective, change up something in your own play,

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i did take the advice in this thread, and start going mostly zen. it sort of worked, as you can see, but this will be the third time i bailed myself out of the 1100s only to get to 1650 and start getting trampled again

I'm bad. I know I'm bad. i just think it is easier to lose SR than it is to gain it by a factor of like 3, in solo queue

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Andrast posted:

It's a mixed bag.

I've gone whole games with only one or two deaths as Mercy because their Tracer was terrible and couldn't kill me, but at the same time my team was not paying a sliver of attention to their (only) healer and doing squat about said Tracer. So you end up not dying as much as you would, but being constantly under fire by a flanker it's not really fun.

Then you get another match where the enemy Genji is not pro level but somewhat competent, and it's a shitfest. You keep getting dived and you're dying constantly and your team starts yelling at you because you're not healing even though they're supposed to be covering me.
I've had a Genji murder me right in the middle of my team and getting away scott-free, and it really makes you want to switch to symmetra and just do the sit emote in a corner and watch them burn.

Internet Explorer posted:

"hey guys i can't carry my team with mercy or lucio"

No! I'm shocked. Really, I am.
Oh, I know. It's just that it's super frustrating liking playing supports but knowing you can't really turn the tide on a match. I've gotten a god drat 5 men rez on Anubis defence after a Skirmish, only for my team to lose a 5v3. :smith:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 24, 2016

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
If being objective, the single character that can carry teams the hardest is actually Zarya, because she's so strong. You have to be good, though.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

zarya is also a blast to play in my opinion

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
First, I'd like some advice on ult use with zarya. I'm having a hard time in solo comp finding a good time to use it(not even an ideal time). What happens most of the time is that the other team is trickles in or ult timing doesn't match up. For instance I have mine but reaper just used his and my team for some reason fails at building their ults in a reasonable time. This causes me to sometimes defensive ult where I just use the graveton to stall out a push. Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Second thing. I've been in a massive loving landslide in comp solo queue. Ranking games places me at 2200. Climbed up to ~2600 with a 52% win rate. Over the past couple of weeks I've tanked hard. I'm now at 2050 with a 49% win rate. I have tried to fill gaps in my team comp. The values of my accuracy, avg energy (zarya), heals, elems etc are still about the same. Is this just like the stock market where I have to ride it out? I feel like no matter how hard I try some of these games we just are not going to win. I'm dropping 30-40 gold elems as zarya sometimes. Idk, please tell me it will all be okay and I'm not the problem with the team :(

Edit: lol that TheRationalRedditor posted about zarya carry while I was typing this up.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

TheRationalRedditor posted:

If being objective, the single character that can carry teams the hardest is actually Zarya, because she's so strong. You have to be good, though.

You need good dps players for Zarya though. You can't carry the team if the enemy has six living players all focusing you because your dps is Hanjo+Widowmaker.

Carrying as DPS is always more effective because instead of tanking damage, you have the ability to delete the enemy and effectively remove the damage from being dealt in the first place.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

You need good dps players for Zarya though. You can't carry the team if the enemy has six living players all focusing you because your dps is Hanjo+Widowmaker.

You can't carry with any hero when the enemy team is a lot better than your team, you carry when the team are about equal aside from you being better than the others (unless you are like 2000 ranks too good for the game you are in).

A competent Zarya against bad players is an undying god with permanent full charge.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Andrast posted:

You can't carry with any hero when the enemy team is a lot better than your team, you carry when the team are about equal aside from you being better than the others.

I get that. Assuming everyone is of equal skill but you, choosing DPS will affect the results more than tank or healer because killing the enemy is more effective than tanking damage when it comes to the current game modes.

Its just extremely prevalent when you draw the short end of the stick and your dps goes sniper instead of something useful compared to the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
The best heroes to carry your team right now are probably Mcree, Reaper, Zarya and Ana. A Mcree that can click heads is probably the best dps in the game, Reaper brings a huge amount to your team with his teamfight ult, flanking ability and tankbusting damage, Zarya can pump out enormous damage for a tank while saving your idiot team and has a very strong ult, and Ana is incredibly versatile and has a huge amount of tools for any situation