Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

Same here. I wouldn't mind having a clicky keyboard at home, but years using the MS Natural 4k has spoiled me, and nobody makes a good ergonomic keyboard with clicky keys.

I switched from an ergo 4k that I've been using since they were first released (other MS ergos before that) to a standard keyboard with mechs and it's not that bad, actually. I was going to get one of those ergodox keyboards but the price tag is very offputting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I hate ergonomic keyboards, but I hate most ergonomic stuff in general. My preferred typing position would make an ergonomist cry.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
I primarily poo poo post with speech-to-text.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I am confused as to why Unicomp doesn't appear offer a model with black keys.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

we are the Funyuns posted:

It's evidently a wireless, 4-player adapter. I'd never seen one. Great post, btw.

Yep, I had one when I was a kid. The NES Satellite was specifically a IR 4 player adaptor and it works surprisingly well for IR. Better than any of the 3rd party IR controllers I had ever used back in the day.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CubanMissile posted:

I am confused as to why Unicomp doesn't appear offer a model with black keys.
They realized they were too awesome and had to discontinue them for national security reasons.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The real tragedy is that they don't make one with a modern trackpoint :(

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

The real tragedy is that they don't make one with a modern trackball :(

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
growing up me and my best friend played lots of TFC and CS

that dude used a fuckin trackball too.

and he wasnt even that bad at the game

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

EVIL NOONER posted:

growing up me and my best friend played lots of TFC and CS

that dude used a fuckin trackball too.

and he wasnt even that bad at the game

I know a guy who liked to play tf2 with a controller, windowed mode 640x480. And he wasn't bad either.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

I know a guy who liked to play tf2 with a controller, windowed mode 640x480. And he wasn't bad either.

I dunno about windowed mode but I used to rank decently high in Titanfall for PC, and I use a controller. As a lefty using kb/m is really annoying for me and I've never quite gotten the hang of it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've been playing FPSs with a trackball for 20 years. I comepletely prefer it. Started out with a crazy 40 button serial one that my mom used for Autocad, used a bunch of Logitech ones, now I use an Elecom.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I miss using my big Kensington trackball with an 8-ball socketed in it. Fantastic steel rollers in that thing for perfect feel and smoothness.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Light Gun Man posted:

i actually spent awhile setting up a profile for TF2 to run with my dual shock 4 controller but as it turns out i dont like TF2

also in retrospect my buddy using a trackball to play computer games was a really good way to make sure i never bothered asking for a turn if i was at his house

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

I miss using my big Kensington trackball with an 8-ball socketed in it. Fantastic steel rollers in that thing for perfect feel and smoothness.

Yeah I've got one of those at work and it's pretty good.

I briefly tried it in an FPS and found it surprisingly ok, it's especially good for quickly spinning 180 degrees.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's like a stamp collector paying for gum. (For those of you not in the philatelic know, Americans were long something of a laughing stock in the global stamp collecting community because it was common for mint stamps to go for considerably higher prices than unused stamps there. The difference being a mint stamp still has the gum intact. In the rest of the world most people collected used stamps anyway. I have no idea what the situation is now since I haven't collected in a couple of decades.)
The situation: still the very peak of dorkiness.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I, too, play FPSes with trackballs. My accuracy probably suffers, but it's not like I'm any good to begin with.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I hate ergonomic keyboards, but I hate most ergonomic stuff in general. My preferred typing position would make an ergonomist cry.

Ergo keyboards only exist because of the dumbassed home-row-centric way typing is taught in school. I have never had any speed or rsi problems on a standard keyboard, because my neutral position is roughly awerg huiol. I say "roughly" since nearly all of my fingers are on the borders between multiple keys, but you get the idea.

Also, my keys are remapped: on the left side, caps is win, ctrl is caps, win is alt, and alt is ctrl. I used macs for a while and fell in love with the command key next to the space bar. Windows key finally became useful in 7 for win+arrows

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

Ergo keyboards only exist because of the dumbassed home-row-centric way typing is taught in school. I have never had any speed or rsi problems on a standard keyboard, because my neutral position is roughly awerg huiol. I say "roughly" since nearly all of my fingers are on the borders between multiple keys, but you get the idea.

Also, my keys are remapped: on the left side, caps is win, ctrl is caps, win is alt, and alt is ctrl. I used macs for a while and fell in love with the command key next to the space bar. Windows key finally became useful in 7 for win+arrows

And which lab did they build you in? Are you one of the later models?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Last Chance posted:

Are you one of the later models?

Nah, I'm an obsolete tech relic - I'm a US-native coder that expects a good wage and steady job

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Related to a discussion in the Obsolete Tech thread, I stumbled across this web demo, showing what you can do with pixel art and palette shifting to create animations, very much an Amiga/early PC thing, or anything with an indexed palette really, but it had its heyday in the 90s. It's a lot less resource-intensive than actual animations, with some limitations of course.

http://www.effectgames.com/demos/canvascycle/?sound=0

For instance, all of the animations in Sim City 2000 were done by palette shifting, even the little animations on the drive-in theaters.

And of course the Windows 9x boot screen, the famous Amiga Boing Ball demo, and tons of 2D adventure games.

Indexed palettes may be obsolete tech relics, but I they can do some really neat stuff on limited hardware.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Last Chance posted:

And which lab did they build you in? Are you one of the later models?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Related to a discussion in the Obsolete Tech thread, I stumbled across this web demo, showing what you can do with pixel art and palette shifting to create animations, very much an Amiga/early PC thing, or anything with an indexed palette really, but it had its heyday in the 90s. It's a lot less resource-intensive than actual animations, with some limitations of course.

http://www.effectgames.com/demos/canvascycle/?sound=0

For instance, all of the animations in Sim City 2000 were done by palette shifting, even the little animations on the drive-in theaters.

And of course the Windows 9x boot screen, the famous Amiga Boing Ball demo, and tons of 2D adventure games.

Indexed palettes may be obsolete tech relics, but I they can do some really neat stuff on limited hardware.

I loved Simcity 2000 and still think it's the best out of the series. I also loved how you could take the cities you made in that game and explore them in SimCopter and Streets of SimCity. :allears:

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

KozmoNaut posted:

Related to a discussion in the Obsolete Tech thread, I stumbled across this web demo, showing what you can do with pixel art and palette shifting to create animations, very much an Amiga/early PC thing, or anything with an indexed palette really, but it had its heyday in the 90s.

Quite a few of those pictures bring up memories of Monkey Island graphics...

Funny, while I knew of the technique and how it was used for the Windows loading screens, I'd never thought of it used for animation. One of those, of course that's what they do-moments.

I'm guessing this along with Carmarck's Commander Keen trick (adaptive tile refresh) was the foundation for most PC games until Wolfenstein 3D/Doom.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HurVjLqQIg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSJipzAqQ1c

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just the first of the iBuffalo Classic USB Gamepads I've ordered from some random Japanese dudes on Ebay.

It's an extremely faithful clone of a SNES gamepad (Japanese/Euro button colors*) for USB. The D-pad is a tiny bit taller, but you only notice it when they're side by side. The action is nice and solid, and the build quality is equal to the original. I've used cheap SNES pad copies before, but this is one is easily as good as the original was when it was new, maybe even better.

And the best part is that I only paid ~$6 with free shipping from Japan. It's an absolute steal if you're like me and think the SNES pad is the best gamepad ever made (before analog sticks, anyway).

* If you have an old US-style SNES pad, you can switch over the buttons quite easily. As far as I can tell, the plastic bits are identical between the original pads and the iBuffalo, apart from the Turbo and Clear buttons.

E: Oh yeah, and I finished my DIY arcade stick for maximum old-schoolness.

Not 100% satisfied with the carpentry, but it's Good Enough®

E2: vvvv :stonk:

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Oct 28, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

What I wouldn't give for an SNES controller with twin sticks so I could use it for modern games.

I guess there's the Wii Classic Controller but that thing sucks, and with the Classic Pro you may as well just be using a PS3/4 or Xbox controller :(

e: o god no I take it back

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol wat

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Those things are rad as gently caress, and stupidly expensive now. I love the button layout on the GC controller, but the D-pad is tiny and annoying to use.

I would love one of those Horis, for the best of both worlds. But for prices starting at $150 (I've seen as high as $300) on Ebay, hell no.

I should have bought a couple when they were still available.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That's absurd, it seems like someone with basic soldering skills and an Alibaba account could mass-produce good quality clones of that thing for far less than $150 a pop.

What about games that needed the c-stick, though?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think it was meant to be used with the Gameboy Player, so only digital controls were needed.

It also worked great for stuff like fighting games.

E: You want weird GC controllers?

Yeah.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Oct 28, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KozmoNaut posted:

I think it was meant to be used with the Gameboy Player, so only digital controls were needed.

Then there's also stuff like the MegaMan anniversary collection, though my biggest issue with that was the button map more than anything, which this controller doesn't help.

There was also a GC version of Puzzle League (Panel de Pon or Tetris Attack or whatever you want to call it) released only in Japan. Up until now I had no idea how they could possibly play it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

It also worked great for stuff like fighting games.

E: You want weird GC controllers?

Yeah.

That keyboard controller is actually pretty sweet. I had a keyboard attachment for my old Xbox controller and it was a tiny, annoying piece of poo poo.

The Dreamcast had some awesomely weird controllers. Like what the gently caress even is this thing:

The famous fishing controller:

So useful they even made one for the PS2!

And of course, who can forget the amazing prototype PS3 controller. Oh what could have been :allears:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hey now, the fishing controllers is hella awesome!

ASCII made some great controllers.

One-handed SNES controller

One-handed PS2 controller (I think they made one-handed controllers for all the popular consoles)

A non-lovely N64 controller :aaa:

E: I also found this. I have no idea who made it, or which system it was designed for (probably PC), but I want one.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Oct 28, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

A non-lovely N64 controller :aaa:

non-lovely in functionality, maybe, that thing is ugly as sin!

The 1-handed controllers are pretty sweet, I had a coworker whose severely physically disabled son was able to play the classic PSX RPGs because of those.

Also, for anyone who thought the original N64 controller was ugly, first of all, shame on you, and second of all, get a load of some of the 3rd-party options at the time:

My personal favorite was the MadCatz one though, it really took the "lol the N64 controller looks like a spaceship" shtick to its logical conclusion (it was also surprisingly comfortable, had rubber grips on the bottom. Surprisingly durable considering this was like the dark ages of 3rd-party peripherals).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

E: I also found this. I have no idea who made it, or which system it was designed for (probably PC), but I want one.

I think this was posted a while back, but I'll see your boating sim controller and raise you the Steel Battalion setup:

Featuring individual buttons for poo poo like reload, windshield wipers, fire extinguisher, multi-channel communication, separate electronics startup and actual engine ignition, cockpit hatch, and about a billion other super-niche things.

I really wish this thing had gotten more popular. They have drivers to make it work on PC, but what game is going to use so many ultra-specific commands? Mapping the buttons on a per-game basis would be a nightmare.

Fun fact: the Eject button is under a flip-up plastic case, and if you didn't eject when your giant robot was destroyed, the game would perma-death you and delete your save :v:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kelp Me! posted:

I think this was posted a while back, but I'll see your boating sim controller and raise you the Steel Battalion setup:

Featuring individual buttons for poo poo like reload, windshield wipers, fire extinguisher, multi-channel communication, separate electronics startup and actual engine ignition, cockpit hatch, and about a billion other super-niche things.

I really wish this thing had gotten more popular. They have drivers to make it work on PC, but what game is going to use so many ultra-specific commands? Mapping the buttons on a per-game basis would be a nightmare.

Fun fact: the Eject button is under a flip-up plastic case, and if you didn't eject when your giant robot was destroyed, the game would perma-death you and delete your save :v:

Hmm yes that's very nice but what if you want pie?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Hmm yes that's very nice but what if you want pie?

That's actually an alternate function of the windshield wiper button, you gotta hold the Eject button while you press it though

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

KozmoNaut posted:

Looks an awful lot like a RailDriver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kelp Me! posted:

non-lovely in functionality, maybe, that thing is ugly as sin!

The 1-handed controllers are pretty sweet, I had a coworker whose severely physically disabled son was able to play the classic PSX RPGs because of those.

Also, for anyone who thought the original N64 controller was ugly, first of all, shame on you, and second of all, get a load of some of the 3rd-party options at the time:

My personal favorite was the MadCatz one though, it really took the "lol the N64 controller looks like a spaceship" shtick to its logical conclusion (it was also surprisingly comfortable, had rubber grips on the bottom. Surprisingly durable considering this was like the dark ages of 3rd-party peripherals).

I remember a lot of those controllers from the ad. I never had one though. I had the grey one that came with it and my parents bought me a red controller that always refused to use because I don't like red. I had a couple friends that had bootleg N64 controllers and it always sucked when you got stuck with it. It was always the rich kids who bragged about how rich their parents were that had the shittest controllers.