Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Wow, that is pretty crazy

Grombrindal :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Deketh posted:

Is it just me or has the Chaos invasion become incredibly weak since the last couple of updates? I had an Empire game where I never once had to fight Skaelings or Varg, and only fought Chaos a few times to wipe them out. Then as Bellegar, after I'm done whomping on the orks and the goblins, I check on the north and by turn 140 or something there's bugger all going on up there at Chaos are at like 25 in the strength ranking.

The last few patches have reduced the number of stacks that spawn, how much they can re-spawn and put a cap on how many can move together. At one point they massively buffed all of the chaos units and made some of those changes to counter-balance, dunno if they've reduced stats since then or changed the chaos_invasion.lua even more.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Decus posted:

The last few patches have reduced the number of stacks that spawn, how much they can re-spawn and put a cap on how many can move together. At one point they massively buffed all of the chaos units and made some of those changes to counter-balance, dunno if they've reduced stats since then or changed the chaos_invasion.lua even more.

Wait, seriously? I lost interest in my Empire game because it was nothing but Chaos whack-a-mole.

This sounds great

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, you know what, maybe I should only play the White Dwarf if I get some masocore mod or whatever.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

It should be noted that part of the reason for the whole "Bretonnia quits the field during the End Times" was because they discovered the truth behind their whole state-religion thing and how they were basically pawns in a larger game and poo poo. "The knights that participated in the battle of Altdorf are in Averheim with Karl Franz, but leave Athel Loren and the Council after learning the truth about Lileath."

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
My current playthrough with Belegar has me locked into a forever war with the Vampire counts while in the meantime Chaos has razed everything north of Altdorf and I see several stacks heading in that direction already.

I'm finding the Vampires a hell of a lot scarier in the campaign now that they can recruit their own regiments of renown. They'd managed to expand all the way over to Nuln in the West and had taken all but one of the Border Prince's cities before razing my own (lightly defended) capital and starting me on the path of genocide toward them. I've had a stack running through their territory razing everything in sight and those bastards are finally starting to slow down but I still need to put together a force capable of taking on their existing three doomstacks.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yeah the AI loving spams RoRs now, it's wild.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
What do you guys do about enemy agents as dwarfs? The vampire and orc agents just buzz around my armies like a could of flies, and every turn starts with at least half a dozen messages about agent actions. Around turn 50 I lost all of my Lords to assassinations at the start of the turn, broke the bank hiring in first level lords for their armies, then had those lords die to new agent actions the next turn. I kind of feel like maybe the agent metagame of the campaign map is some serious bullshit.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

:stare:

Holy Sigmar, he is busted, I'm definetly going to grab this little dude for sure, even if I have to buy a white dwarf (again).

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

NeurosisHead posted:

What do you guys do about enemy agents as dwarfs? The vampire and orc agents just buzz around my armies like a could of flies, and every turn starts with at least half a dozen messages about agent actions. Around turn 50 I lost all of my Lords to assassinations at the start of the turn, broke the bank hiring in first level lords for their armies, then had those lords die to new agent actions the next turn. I kind of feel like maybe the agent metagame of the campaign map is some serious bullshit.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=694189900

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
I just started my Clan Agrund Campaign and on the second turn I got this weird message that Eight Peaks has been lost "again" even though I never gained it then lost it? This gave me a Public order event penalty to recapture it, outside of the grudge to capture it (which I believe you're supposed to get). It's -5 Public order in every province.

The Public order penalty says that Eight Peaks has been "lost yet again", but I just started my campaign? Is this penalty supposed to kick in if you lose Eight Peaks after capturing it? Is this a bug??

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 24, 2016

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
"Recapturing" Eight Peaks is your main campaign objective, sort of. It's supposed to give you the penalty.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

peer posted:

"Recapturing" Eight Peaks is your main campaign objective, sort of. It's supposed to give you the penalty.

I'm aware of the -50% upkeep penalty, but look at my screenshot, there are two separate penalties listed. Here is the first normal one. If you read the flavor text in my first screenshot it seems like a separate penalty, and it implies that I have already captured it. Why would they list it twice with different flavor text, and why wouldn't it say on the faction select screen that your faction has -5 public order as it does with the -50% upkeep?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Truecon420 posted:

I'm aware of the -50% upkeep penalty, but look at my screenshot, there are two separate penalties listed. Here is the first normal one. If you read the flavor text in my first screenshot it seems like a separate penalty, and it implies that I have already captured it. Why would they list it twice with different flavor text, and why wouldn't it say on the faction select screen that your faction has -5 public order as it does with the -50% upkeep?

Oh whoops yeah I'm blind. That's a bug, it's not supposed to show up twice at the beginning of the campaign.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

peer posted:

Oh whoops yeah I'm blind. That's a bug, it's not supposed to show up twice at the beginning of the campaign.

Jesus Christ what a bug. I wonder what triggered it, on the second turn too. Maybe the Dwarfs or someone took it over for a turn? Also does the grudge also happen at the start of the game?

Should I try to complete my campaign with it? It's a really harsh penalty

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 24, 2016

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
Maybe you'll get double bonus's if you manage to capture Eight Peaks?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I captured Eight Peaks and the game didn't recognize it, so now I'm wondering what would happen if I lose it and then re-take it. That seems like a huge pain in the rear end though.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Speaking of the alternate dwarf start, what strat seems to work for people? I tried rangers and they seem fairly lackluster for requiring another building, but I might not be well versed in playing to their strengths. Usually I find myself defending my home province too much to head all the way over to 8 peaks. When is the best time to do this? loving skarsnik always shows up with a giant and a spider in his army, which usually requires I leave my main stack for defense.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

fargom posted:

Speaking of the alternate dwarf start, what strat seems to work for people? I tried rangers and they seem fairly lackluster for requiring another building, but I might not be well versed in playing to their strengths. Usually I find myself defending my home province too much to head all the way over to 8 peaks. When is the best time to do this? loving skarsnik always shows up with a giant and a spider in his army, which usually requires I leave my main stack for defense.

I took Skarsnik's province and then went for eight peaks with Belegar, I had the two ghost thanes, ghost engineer, warriors RoR, 5 regular warriors, 4 rangers, two grudge throwers, and the grudge thrower RoR. I just besieged Eight Peaks and since my stack is kind of small they attacked me with the stack inside plus the garrison. I did the lovely "camp in the corner of the map strategy" and absolutely destroyed the main army before the reinforcement garrison got there. Rangers/grudge throwers will rack up a ton of kills/demoralize them, and my engineer was strong enough to boost the range/ammunition/etc of my army. Anyway, everything had poo poo morale by the time they hit my warriors and they either broke really fast or started to panic when the spooky ghost dwarfs charged them, and I took the city the next turn.

This is only on Very Hard, by the way, not Legendary.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

fargom posted:

Speaking of the alternate dwarf start, what strat seems to work for people? I tried rangers and they seem fairly lackluster for requiring another building, but I might not be well versed in playing to their strengths.

I gotta mention this, with Belegar you start with a master engineer, among all the op stuff he gives for ranged is a +15% movement speed skill, combine with the +10% movement speed tech and you have Rangers zipping around at 43 movement speed(!).

That and the stalk + vanguard thing is what makes Rangers really good, they can reposition to the sides faster, they can attack from behind via vanguard deployment, striking just at the right moment and cripple your foes. Had, for example, a unit of squigg hoppers about to move on from its parent army to go around my flanks, however just as it did that my 4x rangers opened up from the flank where the PC didn't know i was, shredded the unit in 2 volleys, and it was permabroken.

I haven't checked this last part, but it DOES seem like normal rangers (not played bugman's yet) have better accuracy than quarellers too!

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Sounds reasonable, but I'm hoping to avoid corner camping if possible, it just doesn't feel satisfying for me.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Gejnor posted:

I gotta mention this, with Belegar you start with a master engineer, among all the op stuff he gives for ranged is a +15% movement speed skill, combine with the +10% movement speed tech and you have Rangers zipping around at 43 movement speed(!).

That and the stalk + vanguard thing is what makes Rangers really good, they can reposition to the sides faster, they can attack from behind via vanguard deployment, striking just at the right moment and cripple your foes. Had, for example, a unit of squigg hoppers about to move on from its parent army to go around my flanks, however just as it did that my 4x rangers opened up from the flank where the PC didn't know i was, shredded the unit in 2 volleys, and it was permabroken.

I haven't checked this last part, but it DOES seem like normal rangers (not played bugman's yet) have better accuracy than quarellers too!

All of the dwarfen crossbow units have the same accuracy (100), except Bugman's Rangers, which are normally down 30% (still don't know what that makes them good for).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

fargom posted:

On Very Hard, what worked for me was

1) Befriend and get trade deals going with border princes and tilea pronto asap. A third with wissenland or whoever takes that land if you can. For some reason you can only trade with those three. Killing skull takers early helps with this, as does the diplomacy tech.

2) get walls up on all three towns. Walls and money.

3) move up and take out crooked moon. Confederating can be effective. Letting your stack get too far north though and you can't get back in time, which is why you need walls.

4) after a certain point crooked moon mutinous starts coming across the map to hit you. This happen s on a regular clock so beat one stack then move out. Defensive alliances with tilea, border princes, and the other dwarves can help fend those attacks off.

5) take your full stack across the map via underway and lightning strike Eight Peaks. Have lots of artillery and archers and buffs to ammunition capacity. You need LS to isolate just the defending garrison. This can be done somewhere between turn 50 and 75 depending on your skill and diff iculty level. I managed to do it on turn 76, lost my own capital to a counter siege by mutinous gits at the same time.

I didn't bother building any infantry buildings, just seige engines and rangers.RoRs and Belegar's starting troops and ghost dads were enough. Only growth building I built was the special brewery in the capital. I did build one additional Brewer y in each province for public order but took em down once I got 8 peaks.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 24, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Getting back in after taking a hiatus since shortly after Beastmen came out. Did they ever buff wizard legendary lords to not be total garbage? I'd love for my man Gelt or Kemmler to not be a joke. How's the new necromancer lord? Are necromancer lords in general not poo poo compared to vamps now?

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Kanos posted:

Getting back in after taking a hiatus since shortly after Beastmen came out. Did they ever buff wizard legendary lords to not be total garbage? I'd love for my man Gelt or Kemmler to not be a joke. How's the new necromancer lord? Are necromancer lords in general not poo poo compared to vamps now?

No.

(cafixloreofmetalifuckingsweariwillturnthiscararound!!!!!)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kanos posted:

Metal is still garbage, vampire lords are still great except strigoi are even better, wizard lords are a waste of money, buffs are king.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
That's highly disappointing. :smith:

Any magic mods that fix the issue that are less crazy than Molay's?

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Kanos posted:

That's highly disappointing. :smith:

Any magic mods that fix the issue that are less crazy than Molay's?

Yup! Cataph made a version of Molay's mod that's actually balanced. It's really good, go check it out!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you also have steel faith but it's broken at the moment.

probably will be updated in a few days

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Kanos posted:

Kemmler is still garbage (unless you get the Legendary Heroes mod, which gives him Krell. Then he's pretty good). Ghorst is actually pretty good, he has better spells, a corpse-cart mount, and army-wide mini-poison (which was more impressive before Night Goblin Warbosses). I mean, Vlad is still the best, but at least Ghorst is probably not worse than a generic Vampire Lord?

Gelt is... still not good. The Lore of Metal's low level buff/debuff spells would be much better if they defaulted to AoE, and Final Transmutation costs too much for what it does now. Golden Hounds and Transmutation of Lead are good spells though, but I'd take a Bright Wizard Lord over Gelt any day.

At the end of the day, the biggest issue with Wizard Lords is that they aren't really any better than wizard Heroes. They get the same spells at the same power, and might get a "Loremaster" ability that gives a cooldown reduction. That is despite the fact that miscast chance and winds of magic reserve are much bigger determinators of power than cooldowns - I'm almost never casting spells on cooldown anyway.
The Arch Lector and Runelord are much better examples of that sort of Support Lord than Wizard Lords are. Their powers are noticeably better than the hero versions, in ways that make them solid Lord choices in their own right. If I were redesigning Wizard Lords, I'd do it like this:

1) Theirs spells follow Mannfred's Lore of Death tree. I.E. all but the capstone are available at once
2) Earthing and Power Drain are treeless top-row powers that are moderately better than the Hero version
3) Loremaster gives bonus winds of magic regen and miscast reduction
4) Modify their red tree to be about magical support. Like the global passives that Lores already get, even changing one ability per tier of the red tree would be cool. Bright Wizards make all nearby units have flame damage. Light Wizards negate fear. Celestial Wizards give a speed boost or something I never use them. Death Wizards lower enemy morale. Just give them something that makes then different from a hero lord while also not just being a generic lord who is lovely at combat.
5) Buff lore of Metal

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lorehammer is fun, but holy gently caress are Dwarves annoying to fight early. HOPE YA LIKE BLASTING CHARGES :) :) :)

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 25, 2016

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

The dwarf reload tech making rangers reload slower whereas it makes thunderers and quarrellers faster is a bug, right?

Also, anyone have any tips for catching armies when the AI is doing its one-step-away shuffle? It's really infuriating as Belegar since both dwarves and greenskins can burrow.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 24, 2016

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Jack the Lad posted:

The dwarf reload tech making rangers reload slower whereas it makes thunderers and quarrellers faster is a bug, right?

Also, anyone have any tips for catching armies when the AI is doing its one-step-away shuffle? It's really infuriating as Belegar since both dwarves and greenskins can burrow.

Ambush Stance. Also, get a mod that disables March stance and boosts the movement range of armies in home territory

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jack the Lad posted:

With Belegar specifically the AI is kinda predictable because you only have a small number of potential target towns and they tend to beeline for the ones with the weakest garrisons. Generally they move toward a town, you move to intercept, you ambush stance, they move back and are in range. The skills for increased underway interception help a lot too.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Jack the Lad posted:

Yeah ambush stance next to your weakest settlement is usually the key. Although Belegar can use his Ghostdad Engineer to sabotage enemy armies and do it the "right" way.

And as far as I can tell yes the Reload tech has a bug. Thankfully there's a mod that fixes it on the first page of the Steam Workshop. Though with the mod installed the text turns from green to red, so it must be a pretty interesting bug that caused it.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I think that Belegar is the most fun I've had during offensive sieges.

3 artillery, 10 rangers. Belegar and his bros rush the gates. Artillery takes out towers, then move up the rangers and just watch the dwarves melt under all the ranged attacks. Short of Terrorgheist spam I've never taken fewer losses.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Any tips on fighting Chaos as Skarsnik's greenskins?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
With Belegar I've found that it's actually better not to confederate with Norn. Instead, you want to get an alliance and use your stack alongside their stacks to keep them alive. Belegar's biggest weakness is not being able to afford more than a stack and change and by keeping a Very Hard or Legendary AI alive, even if just in a minor settlement, you instantly gain 2-3 full stacks to support you, even crush rebellions for you if you got a full military alliance. This helps immensely, way more than owning whatever settlements the Norn would have.

Obviously, you might not want to do this if Norn appear to be on bad terms with something like Empire for whatever reason, but usually the only humans they'll ask you to kill are bret minors. They can't really reach you.

This campaign is still one of the most fun. Last run of it the main dwarf faction was crushed down the just their capital and the bloody handz and greenskins main faction owned all of the badlands by the time I arrived. My grudge meter has already maxed so I just spent some time fighting alongside dwarf stacks as we re-took everything gradually.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Triskelli posted:

Yeah ambush stance next to your weakest settlement is usually the key. Although Belegar can use his Ghostdad Engineer to sabotage enemy armies and do it the "right" way.

And as far as I can tell yes the Reload tech has a bug. Thankfully there's a mod that fixes it on the first page of the Steam Workshop. Though with the mod installed the text turns from green to red, so it must be a pretty interesting bug that caused it.

A literal typo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Fangz posted:

Any tips on fighting Chaos as Skarsnik's greenskins?

Hey, I just did this yesterday! Bring multiple armies or settlement garrisons, there is no situation in which you can match up to Chaos pound-for-pound. Rock Lobbas, Nasty Skulkers and Squigs are all important for their AP. Bring a light cav unit or two to flank and shut down Hellcannons (they'll wreck your morale). Trolls and Giants will do good work against Chaos infantry and poison will limit the amount of damage they can do back. Use your artillery to take Chaos Knights down to manageable strength - they're probably Chaos's most dangerous unit vs. Gobbos since you have nothing that can match them. Otherwise, swarm, poison and flank same as you would versus the Dawi. Oh, and prioritize Terror-causing units for obvious reasons.

Also can I just say that CA's decision to release this before Wood Elves makes a lot of sense to me? After playing quite a bit the last few days, I'm really jonesing for a new race to spice things up.

• Locked thread