Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

rydiafan posted:

The official episode summaries all include the word "broh" in them.

Edit: http://www.adultswim.com/videos/rick-and-morty/

Is this them taking the piss out of corporations who try to connect with today's youth or are they implying that the Adult Swim audiences are a bunch of stoners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

JazzFlight posted:

That's hilarious.
Come on, the whole series is a send-up of those anime villains that are so ultra-serious and have crazy long backstories and attack names, just to be taken out by a silly looking bald dude in one hit. It's not meant to be taken seriously. Heck, in the first ep one of the bad guys destroys like an entire city filled with innocent people. It's not real.

No it is horribly traumatic when the animator stops drawing those buildings.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh my god, shut up. They don't like a thing because (reason). Just loving accept it, especially because the thing has nothing to do with Rick and Morty.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Arist posted:

Oh my god, shut up. They don't like a thing because (reason). Just loving accept it, especially because the thing has nothing to do with Rick and Morty.

This seems reasonable. Some people just don't like some things, and you can't make them like those things.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
Member when Doc made Mharti lick his dry, bloody balls several times? And that's what this entire show is built upon? Good times, gooood times.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MrSlam posted:

Is this them taking the piss out of corporations who try to connect with today's youth or are they implying that the Adult Swim audiences are a bunch of stoners?

Probably a little of both, it is a callback to how they were talking to Scary Terry in his high school dream ("don't even trip...dogg...we got you Scary T...here's some new pants broh")

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Found a playthrough of the Accounting VR game by Justin Roiland, but the Swedish guy playing it just youtubes right over a lot of the dialogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpEs7XCvzCQ

Does anyone know of a better video showing off the game?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Found a playthrough of the Accounting VR game by Justin Roiland, but the Swedish guy playing it just youtubes right over a lot of the dialogue.

lol you idiot

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593012&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=311#post465523538
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593012&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=311#post465507604

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 24, 2016

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah, here you go.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Thanks.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Philip Rivers posted:

To everyone who suggested One Punch Man a few pages back, I finally saw an episode of it and it was kinda funny but so graphically violent that it just rolled over into really depressing. Like yeah I get that it's satire or whatever but in the episode I saw, someone got punched in the face so hard their brains and eyes exploded out of their skull not once but twice. :smith: :barf:

Rick and Morty devotes an entire episode to viscerally mutilating cat people. Like, visible entrails and bodies cut in half. I kind of get it though. There's an older anime that has a smiliar 'brains getting blown out' scene, but its way more detailed and realistic, and far more graphic. It's loving gruesome compared to OPM's head punch.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
OPM > R&M

It's funnier and has more depth.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Leave it to the weebs to ruin a thread about a good show.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
A thread for a show with no new episodes until ??? Whose last new episode aired months and months ago?

Someone asked for a recommendation, someone recommended something, someone else disagreed. That's what a message board is.

R&M and One-Punch Man are simultaneously two of my favorite shows ever. I have been left with my jaw on the floor after watching both of them, and have had to kind of stop and meditate on their quality for a while multiple times.

A lot of anime is poo poo. A lot of Western shows/cartoons are poo poo. R&M and OPM are both loving masterpieces and it's sad someone having a bias would prevent them from enjoying either.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Nah let's just keep talking about last season. Hey guys remember that screaming sun, that was great.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Leave it to the weebs to ruin a thread about a good show.

This thread was bad before we started talking about One Punch Man

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

sticklefifer posted:

Nah let's just keep talking about last season. Hey guys remember that screaming sun, that was great.

Would have been better if Morty one punched it.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

Speaking of One Punch Man, I'm surprised the violence is focused on as a bad point, especially considering it's parodying the violence in anime. The biggest bad thing about it, in my opinion, is how the only gay character is this muscle man serial rapist who escaped jail for raping dudes, then goes on to rape the baddies or whatever. A lot of Japanese media is incredibly homophobic, and I was disappointed to see OPM revel in that, but it never seems to get brought up much.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Can someone please explain why they didn't want to stay on Everything-On-The-Cob Planet??? I didn't understand that scene. Was it because they would turn into on-the-cob people if they stayed there? If that's the case, then does it mean that the planet was residing in a separate dimension where everything is on the cob? But then, how could they go there in a normal spaceship, I thought only Rick's ship could travel between dimensions. Feels like there were more scenes there that were explaining this but they were cut. Are there any articles that go into more depth about Everything-On-The-Cob World? Seems like an important part in the R&M mythos, and the creator's silence on the matter is suspicious. Maybe they want to expand on the cob world in the third season.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Megaspel posted:

Speaking of One Punch Man, I'm surprised the violence is focused on as a bad point, especially considering it's parodying the violence in anime. The biggest bad thing about it, in my opinion, is how the only gay character is this muscle man serial rapist who escaped jail for raping dudes, then goes on to rape the baddies or whatever. A lot of Japanese media is incredibly homophobic, and I was disappointed to see OPM revel in that, but it never seems to get brought up much.

Puri Puri Prisoner has the best theme though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSnYuc5Ov-U

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I apologize to all anime weeaboos for besmirching your precious loving animes. Your animes are the most amazing god drat things in the loving world, and you win the argument.

You can stop defending their honor now

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
has rick and morty ever referenced an anime
they reference many things, cartoons do that a lot, are any of them from japan

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Megaspel posted:

The biggest bad thing about it, in my opinion, is how the only gay character

Yeah I felt the same way. I'm pretty sure that was the character that Somberbrero had issues with as well.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

has rick and morty ever referenced an anime
they reference many things, cartoons do that a lot, are any of them from japan

The mobile game was a Pokemon clone. Also Rick is a massive fan of One Punch Man, which isn't explicitly stated in the show, but it's very heavily implied.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

counterfeitsaint posted:

I apologize to all anime weeaboos for besmirching your precious loving animes. Your animes are the most amazing god drat things in the loving world, and you win the argument.

Why are you always trying to start poo poo

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Megaspel posted:

The mobile game was a Pokemon clone.

The mobile game wasn't produced by Justin Roiland or Dan Harmon, the IP was licensed.

Megaspel posted:

Also Rick is a massive fan of One Punch Man, which isn't explicitly stated in the show, but it's very heavily implied.

what?

Arist posted:

Why are you always trying to start poo poo

He just wants everyone to know how cool he is for not liking asian cartoons, which is not at all like his cool love for western cartoons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rick and Morty is the best anime.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Megaspel posted:

The mobile game was a Pokemon clone. Also Rick is a massive fan of One Punch Man, which isn't explicitly stated in the show, but it's very heavily implied.
lol, nice

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

This seems like it's going to have the exact opposite effect that you claim to want it to

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Rexides posted:

Can someone please explain why they didn't want to stay on Everything-On-The-Cob Planet??? I didn't understand that scene. Was it because they would turn into on-the-cob people if they stayed there? If that's the case, then does it mean that the planet was residing in a separate dimension where everything is on the cob? But then, how could they go there in a normal spaceship, I thought only Rick's ship could travel between dimensions. Feels like there were more scenes there that were explaining this but they were cut. Are there any articles that go into more depth about Everything-On-The-Cob World? Seems like an important part in the R&M mythos, and the creator's silence on the matter is suspicious. Maybe they want to expand on the cob world in the third season.

Back when Star Trek episodes were being written, the writers would sometimes just put down poo poo like, "Sir, we can't leave yet because [TECH]," and then the guy who kept track of how warp engines worked would go in and fill the brackets in with some internally-consistent-sounding techno-babble. As far as the plot and the character motivations were concerned, it doesn't matter what the gently caress is wrong with the warp drive, just that something is. Sometimes the [TECH] stuff is pretty ridiculous. And sometimes it's inconsistent between episodes.

The joke that planet is that it doesn't really matter why cobworld is uninhabitable. Instead of a plausible-sounding bogus explanation, they got high and said some goofy poo poo about everything being on a cob, and played it deadpan serious. Instead of anti-tachyon radiation, it was corn. The show will never mention it again.

If you really want a retro-explanation, it's because the cob proteins all over the environment would get into our uncob bodies and act like a prion infection, cobifying new proteins and making it so human bodies would basically stop doing anything right, internally. Nothing would be safe to eat, pollen in the air wouldn't be safe to breathe.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Well now that you've over thought the joke to death it makes perfect sense.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

StringOfLetters posted:

If you really want a retro-explanation, it's because the cob proteins all over the environment would get into our uncob bodies and act like a prion infection, cobifying new proteins and making it so human bodies would basically stop doing anything right, internally. Nothing would be safe to eat, pollen in the air wouldn't be safe to breathe.

Why couldn't the writers just say it! I am not a goddamned cob-physicist for gently caress's sake!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

Well now that you've over thought the joke to death it makes perfect sense.

I think the joke was executed perfectly.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

McSpanky posted:

I think the joke was executed perfectly.

Listen, if ya ever need any joke murdered, please give me a call.I have no code of ethics, I will kill any joke, anywhere. Puns, quips, irony, doesn't matter. I just love killin'.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Megaspel posted:

Reminds me of the unofficial episode where Rick's in prison and threatens to rape everyone.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I hate you all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snooze Cruise posted:

I hate you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOt6ppIBOd4

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

I hate you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy1fBgjmBUQ

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

drat CP this is a solid reference, good movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just watched it not too long ago. Love it more every time.

• Locked thread