Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Streaming their events live would cannibalize their main source of income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Roque11 posted:

This Flo Sports deal will mean more money and exposure for indie wrestlers. Now they won't have to bother with going to WWE. Looks like WWE's big streak of signing I die names from around the world ends in 2016.

Hachi machi

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

realistically what promotions could be on here without ditching their streaming service.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Suplex Liberace posted:

realistically what promotions could be on here without ditching their streaming service.

Probably ROH, since they only really show stuff on their website anyways, and let's be honest, their online PPV abilities are shaky. Plus, any Gabe projects like Dragon Gate USA. WWN Streaming is a thing, but I'm sure he'd be willing to simply just add his content to this channel for the right price.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/ZemaTNA/status/790626078775734272

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Suplex Liberace posted:

ROH, TNA (I don't know what their agreement is with Fight Network for the next time Dixie shirks a debt), CMLL, AAA, AJPW, DG (could but doubt it with partial ownership being their TV network), Big Japan, Zero One, W-1, PWG (unlikely), AAW, PWX, Rev Pro, Beyond, probably a bunch of other japanese, american or european indies that I can't think of.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Honestly I would be shocked if any Japanese or Mexican promotions were on here, but I would like to be surprised.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

ROH, TNA (I don't know what their agreement is with Fight Network for the next time Dixie shirks a debt), CMLL, AAA, AJPW, DG (could but doubt it with partial ownership being their TV network), Big Japan, Zero One, W-1, PWG (unlikely), AAW, PWX, Rev Pro, Beyond, probably a bunch of other japanese, american or european indies that I can't think of.

I'd be really excited for BJPW, Z-1 (particularly the Hashimoto years) and DG.

AAW, PWX, and Rev Pro already have deals with Highspots. Beyond has their own Roku channel, although I'm sure they could be financially enticed.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
if I can stream AAW with a no-commentary option I'm in

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't care until ESW (RIP Wicked J) is available on it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

From what Dave's saying it sounds like they haven't talked to many orgs yet at all, much less firmed up agreements.

Like both Dave and Wade imply, this is a cool thing for the industry and will allow smaller orgs to get a cash infusion and a reliable platform on which to put iPPV's and archived footage if they've not already one of their own, but as a consumer that price point is crazy to me as an ongoing thing. Where I'd use it is if I wanted to watch a specific event, say, from ROH, and bought a month of Flo instead of paying for an iPPV. An ongoing sub doesn't seem very worth it to me, but maybe if you're a super-hardcore fan that somehow doesn't have enough wrestling content already, it might be attractive.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'd be shocked if it wasn't going to include promotions that are already on streaming services.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

so FloSports had WWE invest, knew WWE was looking into streaming indies, created an arm of FloSports to compete against that and decided it was wise to announce it before actually have much of anything talked through, let alone finalized.

That's really wise.

And :laffo: if Gabe had talks with them about this without tipping Hunter off

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the idea of using wwe's own money to keep a wrestler they've been chasing for a while out of their hands even longer owns though

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm approaching it like any other startup, ie a long shot over the long haul. I'm not expecting an amalgamation of cult promotions with short-term cash boosts to sustain momentum as essentially a federation of feds, when they each put on shows on, what, a monthly basis? There would be such a glut of exhibition wrestling. If ROH could get the shot in the arm from this that it's needed for years (and they got a better booker c: ) then they'd have a real product that could break out of the enthusiast market. Regular cult pro wrestling plus coverage of all the sports that most people don't see outside of the Olympics sounds like a shaky proposition.

A good question to ask is, what's keeping Lucha Underground from profitability? Is inaccessibility their problem? If they dropped the network straitjacket and went straight to a $20 per month subscription TV model, would they flourish? If so, then there's probably reason to be bullish about this announcement. Otherwise? LU is the most well-made, coherent and distinct product on the indies, and if it can't sell, then what chance does FloSlam have?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Basic Chunnel posted:

A good question to ask is, what's keeping Lucha Underground from profitability? Is inaccessibility their problem? If they dropped the network straitjacket and went straight to a $20 per month subscription TV model, would they flourish? If so, then there's probably reason to be bullish about this announcement. Otherwise? LU is the most well-made, coherent and distinct product on the indies, and if it can't sell, then what chance does FloSlam have?

High production costs, low ad revenue, no gates, limited viewership, dealing with the 2nd worst NA promotion for most of their talent.

iTunes already sells the seasons for like $40 and they don't put out enough content to justify $20, much less $10 a week.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
HOW'S THE FEED http://www.flosports.tv/flosports-announces-five-year-agreement-with-wwnlive-to-live-stream-all-events-on-floslam-tv/

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Absolutely giving that a look for the Mania weekend shows

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm approaching it like any other startup, ie a long shot over the long haul. I'm not expecting an amalgamation of cult promotions with short-term cash boosts to sustain momentum as essentially a federation of feds, when they each put on shows on, what, a monthly basis? There would be such a glut of exhibition wrestling. If ROH could get the shot in the arm from this that it's needed for years (and they got a better booker c: ) then they'd have a real product that could break out of the enthusiast market. Regular cult pro wrestling plus coverage of all the sports that most people don't see outside of the Olympics sounds like a shaky proposition.

Once I see the actual line up, I'll make my decision. Right now I'm pretty much paying cable prices on the amount of streaming action I've got going:
-WWE Network
-NJPWWorld
-Stardom(the pajama party interviews are really interesting, ok??)
-NWA Classics
-Progress

so if I could get a service that bundles those+others for around $60/mo mark, I'm ahead.

Right now, there's a dearth of information and it mostly looks like hearsay. I know that Flo is desperately looking for NOC tech to handle the technical parts of their streaming stuff. That's a bad sign.

Roque11
Aug 7, 2016
Call me a Mecca poster all you want, but both Keller and Meltzer's comments back up what I am saying.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Roque11 posted:

Call me a Mecca poster all you want, but both Keller and Meltzer's comments back up what I am saying.

Roque11 posted:

Looks like WWE's big streak of signing I die names from around the world ends in 2016.

Gonna need some citations, a magnifying glass, and a compass to discover where they back this up, even ignoring the "I die" typo

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gabe's a retard and now this is going to gently caress up his relationship with Hunter

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm approaching it like any other startup, ie a long shot over the long haul.

A better approach would be that they're starting up, looking to acquire the rights to any name indy, and then turn around and cash out by selling it all to WWE.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
We should start an indie now while this gold rush is on. I wish I had enough money to be a money mark

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Absolutely giving that a look for the Mania weekend shows
A killer $20 weekend would be great but Gabe said WWNLive will still exist and have other promotions so there's a giant loophole.

Roque11
Aug 7, 2016

Chris James 2 posted:

Gonna need some citations, a magnifying glass, and a compass to discover where they back this up, even ignoring the "I die" typo

"The short-term impact on the industry is that there could be actual bidding or competition between WWE and FloSports for pro wrestling content outside of WWE worldwide, including the companies WWE has asked its fans about in their recent surveys. This list of potential FloSports partners includes ROH, EVOLVE, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, the burgeoning U.K. indy scene, CMLL in Mexico, and New Japan Pro Wrestling or other Japan groups. FloSports is willing to inject a significant amount of up-front money to major indy groups that sign up, giving them the revenue necessary to better compete for indy wrestler salaries and hire international established stars for their bigger shows. This could mean indy wrestlers won’t be as quick to jump at WWE’s offers to join NXT if they can make a significantly better financial deal outside of WWE."

"Also, more importantly, if you are Adam Cole, Kyle O'Reilly and the Young Bucks, you have no idea what good news this could be."

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

would be cool if this enabled evolve to sponsor some visas e.g. speedball or josh alexander

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Gabe's a retard and now this is going to gently caress up his relationship with Hunter

Swerve HHH also runs flosports

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I'll subscribe but I don't see how this bumps salaries for guys already getting the most exposure possible without signing with WWE or wind up a tremendous money losing failure

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

cannot fathom he's stupid enough to burn that bridge. No way he signed up without getting permission first.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nice gabe headcanon

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

nice gabe headcanon

Gabe Headcanon sounds like an FCW name

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

nice gabe headcanon

poo poo!!!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

oatgan posted:

I'll subscribe but I don't see how this bumps salaries for guys already getting the most exposure possible without signing with WWE or wind up a tremendous money losing failure

What if FloSports pulls a TNA and signs Bucks/Cole/O'Reilly to exclusive deals like Panda did with Sting and Hogan's contracts, then lets Gabe use them for nothing

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

What if FloSports pulls a TNA and signs Bucks/Cole/O'Reilly to exclusive deals like Panda did with Sting and Hogan's contracts, then lets Gabe use them for nothing

They're all still under contract to ROH and NJPW, that would be pretty hard

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I just want to watch Death Before Dishonor IV again

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
Jon Davis on demand.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

100% not the case

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Vince will respect Gabe for standing up to him and give him a big push....into an open grave!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Vince will respect Gabe for standing up to him and give him a big push....into an open grave!!!

Vince? It isn't 1996.