Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As far as boat euphemisms go, nobody can gently caress with the JMSDF's "helicopter destroyers."

Just looked it up and the Izumo-class is approximately the same size as the Hiryu was, and is only a little bit smaller thank the Shokaku-class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

BF1 is a really really really good battlefield game, and thankfully multiplayer is not a simulation but instead pulls every experimental gun around in 1918 and doles them out so you can have a fun game in the setting. It also does a pretty good job of creating situations analogous to reality. just yesterday me and my friends spent 5 minutes defending a capture point while hunkering in a trench, getting shelled and gassed, and fighting in close with shotguns and melee weapons as the attackers stormed the trench.

I would hazard to guess it will also spur far more actual interest in WW1 among young people as the single player is intended to at least somewhat depict reality

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/790476192444846080/pu/vid/314x180/dl6p-WfrVAjpwyU7.mp4

is the SP not poo poo cause I tried BF3 SP once and it was an awful mistake

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

StashAugustine posted:

is the SP not poo poo cause I tried BF3 SP once and it was an awful mistake

I have not played it yet for the same reasons as you, but my friends who are normally decently levelheaded about games said it was pretty good, like one of the better CoD single players.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Like one of the better CoD single players.

New definition of damning with faint praise here.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

4 wasn't bad but it was all downhill from there

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Cyrano4747 posted:

New definition of damning with faint praise here.

some were abhorrent, some were a decent 6 hours and have a couple good moments.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just looked it up and the Izumo-class is approximately the same size as the Hiryu was, and is only a little bit smaller thank the Shokaku-class.

But is the damage control any better :agesilaus:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
The SP is good. They even have pretty good stealth options for some levels.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

Before we get to Italian hand grenades, we need to finish up with the projectiles. Specifically, this week's update is about cartridge cases of various different guns in Italian service. We've also got a new marking system that replaces an older system in use. Which rounds have cartridge cases examined today? What is the difference between a normal charge and a flashless charge? What did a number in brackets signify? All that and more at the blog!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Re: Turtledove, I'm halfway through the latest Hot War book and good GOD does his writing get annoying sometimes (and could he be more ham-fisted with the theme of most Soviet citizens not liking the Soviet Union? It's like every Soviet character is either complaining about the MGB, complaining about how nobody works hard, or fragging their superiors), but it's rather more enjoyable than most of his previous work.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

gradenko_2000 posted:

But is the damage control any better :agesilaus:

Well, it can't possibly be worse!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

StashAugustine posted:

4 wasn't bad but it was all downhill from there

Yeah, CoD4: Modern Warfare was the pinnacle of modern CoD experience.

CoD2 was also good.

What's so bad about BF3 SP, aside from QTEs and taking on a VDV brigade singlehandedly?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It's dumb as hell and flat compared to the bad company games that came before it (420 invade a neutral country for mercenary gold erry day)

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Has a head of state been captured or killed in the heat of battle since Napoleon III?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Agean90 posted:

It's dumb as hell and flat compared to the bad company games that came before it (420 invade a neutral country for mercenary gold erry day)

The plot is basically B-grade Tom Clancy wannabie Air Port novels too, with perhaps the dumbest CIA agents I haver seen in fiction (OUR MOLE IS A GOOD MOLE, HE WON'T TURN ON US DESPITE YOUR SO CALLED FACTS!)

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Baron Porkface posted:

Has a head of state been captured or killed in the heat of battle since Napoleon III?

The Esteemed Brother Colonel Muammar Gaddafi seems to be the most recent case.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Agean90 posted:

invade a neutral country for mercenary gold erry day
hey! there is nothing wrong with that! :colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Agean90 posted:

This and also it started off in a subway car and got more linear from there

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So after Nazing about for a bit I'm back onto European Tragedy.

Right now the runup to the war reminds me a bit of modern politics: issues that are not issues are turned into issues by people choosing to view them in ways that can only poo poo on other people's religious rights. What the hell is Palentine's problem?!

A lovely problem in government: when nobles don't have the right leave everything to one person and must instead divide the land among all sons

Also some poor Nun / Abbess was put on trial for having a disordered life, WTF

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

What the hell is Palentine's problem?!
*the Elector and his wife are very young and believe absolutely that what they are doing is right
*they may also believe the end of the world is coming, etc

edit: the elector is also not super bright.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

lol

edit: or hell, i dunno, maybe the whole thing. my dad, was your country's entire ww1 army women pretending to be men, just hiding this fact from one another

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I still think the original cover is the best one for that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kemper Boyd posted:

The Esteemed Brother Colonel Muammar Gaddafi seems to be the most recent case.

I thought his name was Moammar Al-Gathafi.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

*the Elector and his wife are very young and believe absolutely that what they are doing is right
*they may also believe the end of the world is coming, etc

edit: the elector is also not super bright.

Also consider the quality of his chief advisor. Dude was a used car salesman for alliances and thought it'd all go fine once everyone realized what he'd done. Put that kind of optimist with a not too bright kid and you're going places only a great leader could win.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Hey, remember that discussion a while back about a plan to launch V-2s at sea? Someone decided to do something similar!

A quote so understated you'll cry posted:

While USS Midway was still moored at Norfolk, the carrier’s damage control teams practiced all eventualities of what might possibly go wrong. Based on interviews with German personnel secured during the “Paperclip” operation, it was felt that the worst case scenario was what was termed “IFTC” (Ignition with Failure-To-Clear) when the V-2’s engines would successfully start but, for whatever reason, the missile would not generate sufficient thrust to take off, thumping back down onto the launcher and exploding. The Germans said that this happened numerous times during WWII, usually with negative results to nearby structures or personnel.

Anyone who's seen film/video of IFTC V-2 launches is now going :dogstare: at that "negative results" line.

Yeah, that might be a bit negative. If it's true to the Midway's specs, that's 3.5" hardened steel. :aaaaa:

Looks like I'm gonna be pissing away a lot of time on this site...

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I still think the original cover is the best one for that.

Agreed

and not only because The Shako is featured

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also some poor Nun / Abbess was put on trial for having a disordered life, WTF

Early modernity was HUGE on order. It was probably the most important thing in their entire worldview, to the point where laws weren't so much made to solve problems but to restore a previous state of good order that has been abandoned, as evidenced by the fact that problems exist. There is a huge body of works as to how good order is best achieved, what the monarch should and shouldn't do (mostly things he should do). Order was something handed down from God Himself, with the monarch/authority tasked with implementing it. If order is not present, God will literally rain fire down on your cities and poo poo. Remember that city one day down the road? Burned down because they allowed their women to wear wolf pelts. They were asking for it, really. That poo poo just don't fly.

In a more concrete sense, the entire society only works because everyone knows his place instantly and knows how to act according to his status. For that to work, your status has to be instantly visible. In that age, soft power and hard power are very closely related - you are the king because everyone treats you as the king. That's not a tautology, when the Hohenzollers managed to become Kings in Prussia they were super eager to make everyone aware of that fact and the Habsburg Emperors were always insisting on putting them on the kids table with the other markgraves/electors rather than letting them sit with the full kings. This poo poo mattered.

So an Abbess having a disorderly life was a big loving deal because a) it directly threatened her community with divine wrath and b) it undermined the very fabric of society because she acted different than what her status demanded.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

For that to work, your status has to be instantly visible. In that age, soft power and hard power are very closely related - you are the king because everyone treats you as the king. That's not a tautology, when the Hohenzollers managed to become Kings in Prussia they were super eager to make everyone aware of that fact and the Habsburg Emperors were always insisting on putting them on the kids table with the other markgraves/electors rather than letting them sit with the full kings. This poo poo mattered.
it's why wallenstein started minting his own money despite that being financially not a good idea--he wanted to say that he could, which would mean that he had leveled up, politically

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Status/society question: How widespread was impersonation of high ranking dudes like kings and wallensteins? I mean there's no twitter so how do you make sure whomever is standing in front of is who he says he is?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Boiled Water posted:

Status/society question: How widespread was impersonation of high ranking dudes like kings and wallensteins? I mean there's no twitter so how do you make sure whomever is standing in front of is who he says he is?
It could be pretty hard sometimes.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Yeah, that might be a bit negative. If it's true to the Midway's specs, that's 3.5" hardened steel. :aaaaa:

Looks like I'm gonna be pissing away a lot of time on this site...

Just reading that article, I had no idea there was a USS Kentucky, an half completed Iowa class battleship which they launched after World War 2, and then waffled with it unfinished about for a decade because they were all "maybe we could make a battleship that fires ballistic missiles?!"

HEY GAL posted:

it's why wallenstein started minting his own money despite that being financially not a good idea--he wanted to say that he could, which would mean that he had leveled up, politically

Sounds like bling: "I demonstrate this level of wealth and taste, and am TF worthy of this level of political power."

Even Kanye West never minted his own currency

ArchangeI posted:

So an Abbess having a disorderly life was a big loving deal because a) it directly threatened her community with divine wrath and b) it undermined the very fabric of society because she acted different than what her status demanded.

It sorta sounds like that old Monty Python Sketch where the people are living in imaginary tower blocks that only work because the tenants believe in them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just reading that article, I had no idea there was a USS Kentucky, an half completed Iowa class battleship which they launched after World War 2, and then waffled with it unfinished about for a decade because they were all "maybe we could make a battleship that fires ballistic missiles?!"

Kentucky-Fired Kitchen.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nebakenezzer posted:

Sounds like bling: "I demonstrate this level of wealth and taste, and am TF worthy of this level of political power."

Even Kanye West never minted his own currency

Excuse me, I need to go inform Kanye West about something.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

VanSandman posted:

Excuse me, I need to go inform Kanye West about something.

And he'd be all "Well WALLENSTIEN never made a video game about his dead mom ascending to heaven!"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

And he'd be all "Well WALLENSTIEN never made a video game about his dead mom ascending to heaven!"
he would have if he knew what video games were

in a heartbeat

edit: paying for sumptuous and pompous things memorializing the people who die before you was a favorite, so in the parallel universe where these people have video games that would have been a thriving subgenre. and then you donate the money you make from selling the thing to charity or something

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 25, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

chitoryu12 posted:

I thought his name was Moammar Al-Gathafi.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Mo'ammer El Khudhdhaffy has got to be the stupidest way to spell it imaginable (maybe tied with Kudhdhazzy)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I have not played it yet for the same reasons as you, but my friends who are normally decently levelheaded about games said it was pretty good, like one of the better CoD single players.

Having played through the SP campaign I can say it's a hell of a lot better than any prior BF game and fairly engrossing in its own right, though only like one "level" has to deal with the trench fighting/being overrun stuff.

Upside being that that particular level is designed so that you die, numerous times, and immediately "respawn" in taking the controls of another entente soldier while showing you a name and DOB-DKIA. Between 'lives' the narrator explains how war is basically hell and everyone thought it was a grand adventure etc. The death part is literally a way of progressing the narrative through that part of the game and the game tells you that straight up front with a title card saying "What follows is front line combat. You are not expected to survive."

The game later goes to some crazy stuntman bullshit in another storyline but i'd say it's overall a standout effort for merging narrative with the thoroughly-worn military FPS game style. The Italian part really hits that mark.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I haven't played it, but I hear there's also a level where you play as a messenger pigeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PittTheElder posted:

I haven't played it, but I hear there's also a level where you play as a messenger pigeon.

Can confirm. The way they lead into it is pretty well done, too, though if you have much background knowledge in how just blindingly pointless the war was on a human scale then you'd know what message that bird was carrying despite the game being intent on making you think it's asking for reinforcements.

e: Here's a video of someone playing through the aforementioned infantry level. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhhvs4FJRxM <- SPOILERS BE HERE IF YOU BELIEVE IN GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE BEING SPOILERS

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 25, 2016