Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cake Girl is the best part of the Raimi flicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the actual best part of the raimi flicks is how there isn't any more of them

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I was flabbergasted when I saw SM2 again a year or two ago and noticed that it ended with Dunst dumping JJJJr right at the altar in front of all their friends and family with a loving note. Jameson's son is such a nice person throughout the movie, he deserved better :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

the actual best part of the raimi flicks is how there isn't any more of them

True. Instead we got The Amazing Richard Parker 1 and 2: Guest starring Arachnoguy.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

True. Instead we got The Amazing Richard Parker 1 and 2: Guest starring Arachnoguy.

I like ASM 1 more than any of the raimi films straight up

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Endless Mike posted:

Cake Girl is the best part of the Raimi flicks.

o/\o

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blockhouse posted:

!!!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Amazing Spider Man literally put me to sleep.

Given what a turd that movie was, I can only imagine how bad the sequel that nobody sticks up for is.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Amazing Spider Man literally put me to sleep.

Given what a turd that movie was, I can only imagine how bad the sequel that nobody sticks up for is.

it's real loving bad

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Blockhouse posted:

Wow, you're not invited to mu birthday party.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
like don't get me wrong I don't think it's a great movie or even a good movie

but I'll take it over any of raimi's overlong unfunny corny-rear end snoozefests any day of the week

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ASM1 was much better than any of the Raimi films, but that's because I have a very dim opinion of the Raimi films. And similar to SM3, at least some of the faults with ASM1 can be attributed to studio interference.

I mean this is the opening scene of SM2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Iogfb1Kgow

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blockhouse posted:

like don't get me wrong I don't think it's a great movie or even a good movie

but I'll take it over any of raimi's overlong unfunny corny-rear end snoozefests any day of the week

They.....they aren't trying to be funny.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i..

.... what have i done?..

IT WAS A MISTAKE YOU loving MORONS

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
When someone says their favorite superhero movie is Spider-Man 2, I know that we could be friends.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

When someone says their favorite superhero movie is Spider-Man 2, I know they haven't seen Civil War.

Fixed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Civil War is a better Ant-Man movie than it is a Spider-Man movie.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

They.....they aren't trying to be funny.

I laughed at "He stole that guy's pizzas!"

Also the extreme close-up shocked zooms, only because they remind me of Arrested Development Franklin.gif.

I think X2 has aged a lot better than SM2, I like Raimi but outside of a couple nice setpieces there's a lot of off-kilter almost Burton-y weirdness in them that I don't find as endearing as many.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

Ghost Dennis Leary stares at this post disapprovingly.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

Ghost Dennis Leary stares at this post disapprovingly.

This is the only good part of that movie.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
that's ASM 2!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Amazing Spider Man is baaad. It has a few decent moments, but overall it's just bad. I almost walked out of the theater when all the crane drivers lined up to give Spider-Man a path to the Oscorp building.

I did like ASM2 though. All the setup for the Spider-Man Cinematic Universe was awful, but beyond that, I thought it was a lot better than the first.

I do hope that the MCU Spidey movies go a looong time without bringing in Norman Osbourne. I could go the rest of my life without seeing a Goblin again and I'd be fine with it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The problem with ASM2 is that it's like 8 movies crammed into one and only a couple of them are good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

ASM1 was much better than any of the Raimi films, but that's because I have a very dim opinion of the Raimi films. And similar to SM3, at least some of the faults with ASM1 can be attributed to studio interference.

Why is that a bad thing?

I've said many times before that the fact that the first big action sequence in Spider-Man 2 is Peter Parker trying to deliver a pizza is all the proof you need that Sam Raimi just gets it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah Rami really got spider-man at least early era spider-man. Where he had to deal with life and not just the teen soap opera parts. Which is something ASM failed to do and homecoming will probably as well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Why is that a bad thing?

I've said many times before that the fact that the first big action sequence in Spider-Man 2 is Peter Parker trying to deliver a pizza is all the proof you need that Sam Raimi just gets it

The only problem I've ever had with the pizza delivery opening is how brutal that webswing catch would have been of those kids on the street for real. It looks like Spider-Man swings into them about as hard as the truck would have bit them.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's all in the wrist man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blockhouse posted:

gently caress you.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Its a shame the best Spidey costume got wasted on ASM 2. I also will say that Paul Giamatti as Rhino is inspired casting that was implemented poorly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Dacap posted:

Its a shame the best Spidey costume got wasted on ASM 2. I also will say that Paul Giamatti as Rhino is inspired casting that was implemented poorly.

Giamatti in ASM2 is one of those rare instances where great casting actually made me mad.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Making the Rhino suit a mech suit makes sense if they want to go the Ultimate route, but what we got onscreen was a tank that didn't even look vaguely like a Rhino.

If they had gone with something more like an iron monger type look it could have worked. Instead we got Spider-Man punching a military vehicle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dacap posted:

Making the Rhino suit a mech suit makes sense if they want to go the Ultimate route, but what we got onscreen was a tank that didn't even look vaguely like a Rhino.

If they had gone with something more like an iron monger type look it could have worked. Instead we got Spider-Man punching a military vehicle.

No, we got Spider-Man getting within a foot or so of hitting a military vehicle and then credits.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Aphrodite posted:

No, we got Spider-Man getting within a foot or so of hitting a military vehicle and then credits.

I hated that ending so much.

SO MUCH.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

God that's great. Made me laugh. A+ would watch again.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

gently caress you.

harsh but fair

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Aphrodite posted:

I've never seen ASM2, are you telling me the movie ends without an actual Rhino fight?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've never seen ASM2, are you telling me the movie ends without an actual Rhino fight?

Correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02S6ucfp1sU

That does not cut early. When that video ends, the credits roll.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

just saw Dr Strange and I greatly enjoyed it. Felt like a bunch of the jokes were pretty hackneyed but I found endearing. The fight scenes have some crazy effects

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~

Aphrodite posted:

Correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02S6ucfp1sU

That does not cut early. When that video ends, the credits roll.
And, by the way, the last ten seconds of that clip were in almost all of the trailers and TV spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

poly and open-minded posted:

just saw Dr Strange and I greatly enjoyed it. Felt like a bunch of the jokes were pretty hackneyed but I found endearing. The fight scenes have some crazy effects

Can you confirm or deny without any major spoilers if there is an infinity gem in the movie, like many people are guessing?

Also, is Mads underused like some of the reviews are saying?

• Locked thread