Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
They havr a gi named after the gold medal winner from jimmy pedro's. That place is like 10 miles away and its time for me to stop being a poo poo and go sign up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Novum posted:

They havr a gi named after the gold medal winner from jimmy pedro's. That place is like 10 miles away and its time for me to stop being a poo poo and go sign up there.

I think they're starting to do open mats on Sundays now and then too

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Miching Mallecho posted:

Fuji is having a blowout sale

http://fujisports.com/fuji-sports-adcc-pro-bjj-gi-blue-8012.html

You can this one for $69 with priority mail shipping. If you're in NJ then you can pick it up in their warehouse in jersey city for free.

I almost want to get this just to prove that I don't give a gently caress how I look.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Ryron Gracie is coming to my gym to do a seminar next month, should be pretty cool. He's doing a defensive session and an offensive session but I'm probably only going to be able to make one of them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Local judo tournament today. Competing Masters ¬73kg upper belt in ¬90 minutes.

I tried half-assedly to make 66 kg but I didn't have enough time after work to finish the cut. Was 158 8 days before weighin, made it to 67.2 (147.5) kg last night before I said "gently caress it, they're probably going to turn the old guys into an openweight division anyway." (FWIW the reason I did hte cut like that and didn't bother to 100% make it was so that I'm sure I can be on weight for a prereg BJJ tournament next month - I'll be maintaining this post-cut weight until then.

I'm actually less excited about my own bouts than about those of the kids and yellow belts I've been coaching. Laugh/eyeroll at me if I lose,, but give them a cheer!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CommonShore posted:

Local judo tournament today. Competing Masters ¬73kg upper belt in ¬90 minutes.

I tried half-assedly to make 66 kg but I didn't have enough time after work to finish the cut. Was 158 8 days before weighin, made it to 67.2 (147.5) kg last night before I said "gently caress it, they're probably going to turn the old guys into an openweight division anyway." (FWIW the reason I did hte cut like that and didn't bother to 100% make it was so that I'm sure I can be on weight for a prereg BJJ tournament next month - I'll be maintaining this post-cut weight until then.

I'm actually less excited about my own bouts than about those of the kids and yellow belts I've been coaching. Laugh/eyeroll at me if I lose,, but give them a cheer!

Godspeed and good luck.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Nice! posted:

Godspeed and good luck.

Thanks. I was in a 2-man division against a guy I know. First match he got me on a good counter, second match iocked up a flying juji gatame but he was able to life me so they called mate before he tapped because I was putting slow pressure on it instead of reefing it. After that I fell over on a deep hiza guruma attempt and they gave him an ippon. Oh well at least a room got to see me lock up a flying arm bar.

:negative: my only 11 year old competitor is sick after we had spent two weeks getting ready.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I'll be at the Fight To Win Pro event tonight. 6 guys from my gym are competing

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Sapateiro is streaming on FB: https://www.facebook.com/SapateiroInvitational01/?fref=ts

Bad camera, good jits.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

JaySB posted:

Good luck man.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Do itttt

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I should clarify, I'm not competing my knee is still all sorts of hosed up. Just there to support.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How'd your guys do?

My team did really well! 2 gold 3 silver 1 bronze. one guy in his first tournament out was matched against a san dan and a bjj judo double brown belt, and he still looked respectable. another unathletic yellow belt was in a two - woman division, lost the first match, and then worked her opponent so hard in the second that she forfeited the third. Coaching is super fun. I was going full Weidman on the chair.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

How'd your guys do?

Pretty even split betweens wins and losses. Some great matches to watch for sure. Entertaining event overall for sure. They crank out the matches back to back to back.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

FloGrappling posted:

Ryron and Rener Gracie sent an internal email last week cautioning Gracie Certified Training Center owners not to do business with their brother, Ralek Gracie.

In a leaked email seen by FloGrappling, Ryron and Rener issued a statement distancing themselves from their younger brother's business practices following his increasingly controversial handling of the professional jiu-jitsu event Metamoris.

Following an affirmation that they have no involvement or stake in Metamoris, the email contains a strongly worded warning for Gracie Certified Training Center instructors not to engage with Ralek or the event.

"We have no stake in Metamoris, but we have always supported our brother, Ralek," the email reads.

"Although we haven't always agreed with the Metamoris business practices, we never felt it was our place to publicly express our concerns with the operation... until now."

[...]

Rener and Ryron sent the email to Gracie Certified Training Centers on Wednesday, October 19. In the message, they state that they have severed their business relationship with their brother.

"Ralek has engaged in dishonest and fraudulent activity, and continues to do so despite our repeated efforts to guide him," the email reads. "We have decided to terminate all business relations with Ralek and Metamoris."

The email was confirmed as authentic to FloGrappling by Rener Gracie via text message on Sunday, October 23.

The email concludes:
We feel obligated to caution anyone who is considering doing business with [Ralek] or Metamoris on any level.

If this kills Metamoris I think it's very fitting that their last event ended with Ralek himself getting his poo poo ruined by Garry

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I think I must have missed that story - what's the deal with Metamoris? Japanese MMA or something more?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Opal posted:

I think I must have missed that story - what's the deal with Metamoris? Japanese MMA or something more?

They haven't paid competitors for a few events, iirc.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Opal posted:

Nothing to do with Japanese MMA. Metamoris was Ralek's grappling promotion; it was all 20 minute matches where if there wasn't a finish it was an automatic draw. They had a couple good events starting off, featuring the rematch of Bravo/Royler (Bravo pretty much dominated but didn't finish, so it was a draw) and Barnett winning their inaugural heavyweight title and (shockingly) subbing Dean Lister. Then there was some complaints by grapplers that Ralek was trying to get them to sign exclusive contracts in order to compete again, and after that word starting coming out that a lot of competitors hadn't been paid. Garry Tonon was pretty vocal in his disdain for the whole affair, and their most recent show featured him vs Ralek in a 205 lb match (which Garry came in at 165 for because he was competing in a match at 160 a week later) which ended in Garry kneebarring him. And now even Ralek's brothers are cutting bait, apparently.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
I feel like Metamoris was about to die regardless and this email won't be the last straw, but it is extra good schadenfreude.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Sprecherscrow posted:

I feel like Metamoris was about to die regardless and this email won't be the last straw, but it is extra good schadenfreude.

Like hats off a sinking ship

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Ashikan judan posted:

Like hats off a sinking ship

:golfclap:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Opal posted:

I think I must have missed that story - what's the deal with Metamoris?

That topic could fill a thread(s).

This is one of his recent masterpieces:

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Kekekela posted:

That topic could fill a thread(s).

This is one of his recent masterpieces:

:laffo: I'll have to ask Nate about this next time I see him

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
What a snake.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Ran into Felipe Pena today while leaving a random cafe in Tokyo. Small world.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

One of my training partners casually ran into Rickson Gracie in Byron Bay last week, which is a tiny Australian hippie/surf town.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

One of my training partners casually ran into Rickson Gracie in Byron Bay last week, which is a tiny Australian hippie/surf town.

Thats boss. He's the gracie id most like to run into randomly.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I think some guy was looking for a plain black gi a few days ago.

Today there was one very cheap on BJJHQ.

http://www.bjjhq.com/?lang=en-CA

I don't know if your size is still there or if you bought one already, but BJJHQ is worth looking at every morning if you are looking for some BJJ products

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I paid for a subscription to metamoris and there was no way to cancel it on their website. I emailed them and they said they had no record of me having an account at all. I checked my bank statement and they had taken 2 monthly (or whatever) payments and then stopped. Pretty much sums up their business efficiency.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

KingColliwog posted:

I think some guy was looking for a plain black gi a few days ago.

Today there was one very cheap on BJJHQ.

http://www.bjjhq.com/?lang=en-CA

I don't know if your size is still there or if you bought one already, but BJJHQ is worth looking at every morning if you are looking for some BJJ products

Thanks a lot dude! I forgot to look the past few days. Exactly what I was asking for and they still had A 3 when I ordered just now. Anyone have experience with 93 brand? I think I've heard good things before.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Seltzer posted:

Thanks a lot dude! I forgot to look the past few days. Exactly what I was asking for and they still had A 3 when I ordered just now. Anyone have experience with 93 brand? I think I've heard good things before.

Happy to help.

I have some spats from them that I like. No idea how the gis are though. At that price it's probably not the most amazing cut nor anything but it should work fine as a basic gi

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yeah I have no experience with their gis but their other stuff is all fine

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

I have a blue and a white one of those, been using them for almost a year or so and had no problems. The top on the blue one shrank a lot more than the white one, to the point where it's probably not comp legal anymore but it's fine to train in. I dry all my gis in the dryer cause idgaf though.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

lol

EDIT:

Ralek posted:

or me, it was always the goal [to compete in MMA], but I didn't get paid for my last fight against Sakuraba. [Japanese promotion] DREAM was in a position where they were going down, and it was bad timing for me. At that time, I needed something more stable. I had kids. I needed to be more responsible for their future and think differently

:ironicat:

fatherdog fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 26, 2016

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
only a matter of time until he flees to puerto rico

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
hope he gets hurt

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I finally went to my local gym for my inaugural "meet everyone and try out a class" BJJ session. Turns out that weighing 100+ kg's and doing zero exercise outside of walking the dog isn't a good thing. It loving destroyed me. I went completely pale, lightheaded and felt like I was about to throw my guts up about 30mins into it. After that I'd have about 2mins of gas in me each time before the feeling came right back again.

It's two days later and I'm still aching.

It was fun though. I felt like a bit of an idiot, because it was a Gi class and I don't have a Gi yet. The guys were overall pretty friendly but I couldn't help but feel bad for whoever got partnered with me that that I was wasting their training time with my poor fitness and lovely skills. I also have a bit of a mental hurdle to get over that I'm going to hurt someone. Like, I feel bad putting my arm across their throat, my knee in their gut or my full weight down on them when I've got mount. It's dumb I know, but I can't help it.

The techniques they were drilling were pretty drat advanced. Phase one was just spider guard but then it got way advanced when they started with phase 2/3 with techniques to execute from that position, but my partners ended up just showing me some poo poo like getting out of Full Mount, breaking Full Guard when on top etc.

I was amazed when talking to some of the guys. I thought they looked like super skilled veterans even though half of them were white belts and when I ask how long they've been doing it for they're like "I started in April". Wow.

Overall it was good, it's now just a case of justifying the gym fees when I've got two young kids who I need to ignore 2-3 nights a week in order to get my moneys worth.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
That feeling goes away, the weight comes off, and everybody was a beginner once. If you enjoyed it even a little, I hope you abandon your children to learn how to hug better.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Any other goons going to Polaris at the weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Marching Powder posted:

That feeling goes away, the weight comes off, and everybody was a beginner once. If you enjoyed it even a little, I hope you abandon your children to learn how to hug better.

I second that statement. It'll be rough in the beggining but it's incredibly rewarding and a great way to meet nice people that you can hug aggressively for hours on end